Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Masks

Started by visualspice, December 22, 2012, 07:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Dekka had no response to that remark, dancing with her in silence.  It took him some time to figure out what Duke Calent would say, and he only closed his eyes.
"You can interpret this as you wish," he said calmly, opening his eyes to look at her, but the smile was in his eyes, even if he tried to hide it on his lips.  This conversation wasn't almost too good.
It seemed the Lady Kathryn was eager and easy to warm up to, and the idea of suitor's...

"But I won't deny I enjoy the company."

Smiling finally, he delve back into silence, relishing in the moment as the two swept across the floor in a dream. It was too easy to play this role. Too many people idolized a man they wanted to claim as their own- and since the whole world was whispering as to why the Duke of Allar had never married, the idea he was now opting to play the game was intriguing, even to the man playing the fake.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Well, it wasn't the romantic, sweeping gesture a girl dreamed of, but at least he hadn't scowled at her and left her on the dance floor, as she believed he might when he made no response.

It was easy to lose herself in the music, to simply be swept away by the tune and the moment as they danced their way across the floor.  They made a striking pair, graceful and regal in the flickering lights, so that every eye could not help but be drawn to them.  Some watched with longing and others envy -- but most murmured comments and gossip to their friends and partners about Duke Calent Allarrick and Lady Kathryn Chandos.

The song soon ended, and Kathryn's thoughts, reluctantly, turned to Philippe and her obligation towards him.  "Thank you, again, for a lovely dance," she murmured with a lovely bow, her hand still in his.

visualspice

'Calent' bowed to his lady, and kissed her hand light again, those intense green eyes meeting to hers.

"Perhaps another dance soon?" Dekka inquired, giving her a smirk- one that might have been all too familiar before he righted himself, composed his face and moved on to another fawning guest.  It wasn't hard for him to find women to dance with, or to steal from, but the gem he liked most was the small emerald he had stolen from the Lady Chandos.  Even though it was small, perhaps insignificant, it held a memory he'd never forget on his developing romance that swept through the crowd.

He eventually found himself partners with Kathryn's sister, a young lady by the name of Valia, decked out in pink-
she was.. interesting to say the least, but left him craving for that third dance with her sister and when the song was done, he politely bowed and sought her ought....

Though as his boots moved throughout the guests, he began to itch..
he needed to carry out his plan..
the ring on the duchess..

It would be his before the night was through.
But so would Lady Kathryn's heart.

Seeing she was held captive in conversation with this Lord 'Phillipe', he stalked forward, like the tiger costume he wore, and loomed behind them in a silent shadow, eyeing her but when she'd turned, he'd look away, and carry back on his conversation with the other guest.
He held a glass of pear wine, almost gone from his glass, and kept her just in line of sight as he teased her with his presence.

Oh Lady Kathryn...

It would be a fun game to play throughout the night.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Kathryn's dance with Lord Philippe had, incidentally, gone about as well as Kathryn could expect...if not worse.  Put out by the Duke's rude behavior and eager to prove himself the better dancer and better conversationalist, Philippe had attempted to show off his marvelous dancing ability by trodding all over Kathryn's toes and the hem of her dress.  Twice, she had to forcibly pry him apart from her -- he was far too close for modesty -- and he spoke of nothing but what he perceived to be Calent's flaws.

Kathryn's polite smile felt frozen on her face.  Oh, she agreed Calent had been quite rude -- but that was a matter for the men to sort out between them, and she wanted nothing to do with it!  Her smile took on a slightly chillier air as she pictured Calent stabbing Lord Philippe -- repeatedly.  But you just couldn't have everything, could you?

She glanced at the Duke -- the third time in as many minutes -- noting that his glass of wine had nearly expired.  He was still drinking the pear wine, she saw -- he was obviously too prideful to let a little wine ruin his evening.  "If you'll excuse me, my Lord, I really must see to the other guests."  It was her tenth or so attempt to squirrel out of her conversation.  He still wasn't appeased -- but she doubted anything short of marrying her on the spot would appease him.

He followed her to the refreshment table, still chattering away like a ninny, and when she picked up two glasses of pear wine, he graciously accepted one from the hand closest to him.  She stared at him, then, with a resolute sigh, repeated, "Excuse me, my lord.  I must ensure all of our guests are enjoying themselves."  She scooped up another glass and strode swiftly across the room -- a feat in her slippers -- to the Duke of Allar's side.

"Please pardon the interruption.  Can I interest you in another glass of wine, Duke Calent?"

Philippe, steps behind her, scowled like a petulant child, wondering why his favorite toy was in the hands of another child.

visualspice

Turning, a smile graced his features as he addressed Lady Kathryn and accepted the glass.
"You are most kind," Dekka informed her, eyes shining behind his mask, the gold and black whiskers glinting from the glow of the gold chandelier above.  He finished his drink, the last few drops he had, and gave the cup to a nearby servant, then turned to accept the goblet in hand.

He spotted Phillipe, raising a single brow at him, though it was hidden behind his mask as he took a step towards Kathryn, ignoring the other man.
"It seems High heart knows how to entertain and take care of their guests," he complimented, taking her arm into his as he lead her away, walking gracefully towards the balcony. "Come, let us get some fresh air, away from the music for a moment. The night sky is lovely."

Phillipe bit his tongue, the scowl growing ever worse as he stalked behind them, but lingered, just outside the wide mouth if the balcony to watch as Dekka, the sham of a 'Duke', guided Lady Kathryn to the railing where there, he paused and looked over at the gardens as the high moon glazed the world in silver light.  Stars above were twinkling, even a few shooting stars left brief smears of sparkles in their wake, and were gone as quickly as they had come.

"No matter where I go, the evening sky is always beautiful." he commented, eyes to the sky, drink in, which caught the reflection of the moon.

Ivory

Kathryn was quick to respond with a brilliant smile of her own.  "We don't often entertain guests of your rank.  I'm so very glad you're enjoying yourself."

She was, of course, very glad to get outside and away from the press of people -- although, their exit, she saw as she latched the door behind them, did not go unnoticed.  Most were trying to look as though they were looking elsewhere, but it was apparent that most everyone had noticed the pair escaping towards the privacy of the balcony.

The wind, tonight, was only a gentle breeze.  It lifted her hair up, toying with its length gently as she stood beside him.  She looked up at the night sky herself with a smile.

"It is beautiful," she agreed.  Her teacher had taught her a few of the constellations, once, but she had forgotten most of them.  After all, it wasn't ladylike to be outside in the cold and the wind all night...and she had never found the chance to escape her parents' watchful eyes at night...  "When I was a girl, my nanny told me that each of the stars was a gem, and they were worn by the great queens and ladies as they looked down on me."  She laughed softly.  "It sounds like a silly thing to say now, but, when I was little, I used to find it comforting."

visualspice

"If that were true, that would be an impressive amount of great women in our history," he said, reflectively. Taking a sip of the wine, Dekka noticed her face, and again, the laugh.  What was it about her that suddenly had him jarred? He suddenly felt completely out of his element, as if she were someone he ought to know.. but, perhaps he should have spent better time studying her character before deciding to play the role as a potential fiance?

Dekka took his time to admire her, not hiding the fact on what he was doing as Phillipe stalked amongst the shadows, eyes piercing on them with predatory intent.  Dekka paid no heed. All royals were arrogant, thinking such things as women and wine, the land.. the country.. it all belonged to them.

Little did Dekka know, remaining quiet and brooding was a forte of the real Duke Calent, so as his silence remained, he, in turn, remained in character.

"So, are there any other fine wines beside pear in High heart?" he asked, taking another drink before swirling around his glass, the clear liquid rolling around inside, as if capturing the reflection of the stars and mixing them within.

Ivory

"Plenty," Kathryn answered, turning her face from the sky to study his expression -- what little she could see behind the mask.  "I can't believe you're still drinking it," she added with a soft chuckle.  "We have a dandelion wine you might like.  The rest, I'm afraid, are mostly dry."  She sipped her own drink delicately.  She'd already had quite a bit -- but it had been, primarily, an attempt to drown out Lord Philippe's presence.

She set her drink down on the rail and turned towards the double doors.  "I'll go get you a glass," she offered, as if she were pleased to do so for him.  It was something that would be expected of a wife, she thought -- and the least she could do for their guest.

visualspice

"Please, there is no need for that," he said, catching her by the wrist, and it was only then he realized his mistake in propriety and squared off his jaw, biting his teeth into his lower lip.
His hand tensed before loosening as he bowed before her.
"Forgive me, my lady," he said, then raised his head to look at her, eyes peering through his mask.
"We can perhaps sample the wine at another time. I came out here to enjoy the moonlight and some company.  I fear the temperature in the ballroom has become too hot."  he straightened himself, trying his damnedest at the role as he gestured towards her and asked, "Perhaps a stroll around the gardens might do me some good." he paused, eyes remaining on hers. "And if you would pay me the highest respects to accompany me, I would be obliged for it."

Ivory

Kathryn flushed, the color just visible on her cheeks in the moonlight, at the friendly gesture.  It was hardly the most improper thing she had ever witnessed -- but she blushed, nonetheless, in response.

"There is nothing to forgive," she answered kindly as she reached for her glass again.  She cherished the sip for a moment, letting the cool liquid cool her face, and she nodded.  "Of course, Duke Calent.  I would be delighted."

She waited for him to extend an arm for her to take, and then, cheerfully, they stepped out of sight of the ballroom and into the cool night air, where there was no one to approve or disapprove of their behavior or words.

"The garden is my mother's pride.  She enters her roses in the festival each year -- and usually wins, of course," she began, smiling at the thought.  Other than the rare tea, her mother never even stepped into the garden; it was the gardeners work, of course, that was on display...

visualspice

Stepping gracefully through the gardens, Dekka was well aware what he was leading the Lady into.
A man would not ask for a walk alone if not for perhaps other intentions. Though, was it too soon to pose the question? But why not? With a lady so grand as she, and a plan layed out properly...

The smallest of smile curled at the ends of his lips as he stared at her, then around to the gardens.
"The flowers are exquisite," he agreed, walking with her slowly down the path.  "I can see the care and attention the garden has been given. It makes me wish I owned more rose bushes back in Allar." No body could have more rose bushes if they were royal, after all.

He turned to one, plucking the ripest, red rose, before moving forward and fastening it into her hair.
"The color adds to your costume, my lady," he said, raising her hand to his lips as he kissed it.  "And I can see where the real rose your mother has tended to, has grown up beautifully."

Ivory

Kathryn smiled at the gesture as he tucked the rose into her braided hair, but it was the line about her being a rose that made her blush scarlet, a deep enough color that it nearly matched the rose.

It was all nonsense of course -- but it made her feel giddy and lightheaded, nonetheless.

She laughed prettily and glanced away modestly.  "Thank you, but if I am a rose, then I must have thorns, Duke Calent."  She peered at him from the corner of her eye slyly.  "Better you name a plainer flower that does not possess the power to do you harm.  I would not like to see you suffer even a prick at my expense."

visualspice

Oh, she was a clever girl. Great at playing her role. He liked that.
It was a shame he couldn't carry through with his flirting..
or could he?
Who knew how the damsel might react towards advances from the King of Thieves, after she has come to realize the truth!

The idea of thorns brought him back to his senses and he nodded, politely, and retained the face of 'Calent'.

"Forgive me, my lady, I will not make that mistake again." he said, then held out his arm. "Shall we return to the party so you are not missed?"
He did, after all, have a job to do.

Ivory

With a soft laugh, she accepted his proffered arm once again.  "Of course," she answered him warmly.  "I do not think I am the only one to be missed.  You seem quite popular as well tonight."  That was one way of putting it; the ladies were fawning over him.  He was, of course, one of the most eligible bachelors in their social circle...

"The servants will be setting out some fruits and light dishes soon," she added as they made their way back into the circle of light provided by the ballroom.  "If you care for sweeter dishes, I would recommend the honey pastries.  They pear nicely with the dandelion wine, I think."  No, she hadn't forgotten that wine at all!

visualspice

Dekka nodded, keeping her hand hooked with his as he guided her away, though with leisure, as they headed back towards the ball. He noted a dark figure looming in the shadow, but ignored it as they continued their walk.

"Perhaps you could point out the best tarts," he said, and truly, he was craving some. Perhaps the real Duke Calent did as well?  "And truly, I feel humbled by your gesture, but I feel it is only that I had drawn attention due to my tardiness, which," he forced an actor's frown. "I am still regretful for. Your mother's birthday is a grand occasion. Perhaps I should make myself an offer to her for a dance."

As they neared the open mouth door that lead back into the dance, it was revealed the Phillipe was waiting, appearing hunched over and dark, like a vulture as he watched them, then stepped forward, to hinder their stride as Dekka paused in mid step to stare at the gentleman before them.  For a moment, the two only looked at one another, then Phillipe exposed a curl on his lips, a smile perhaps? and then his teeth.

"Oh, Lady Kathryn, there you are, I had been so worried," he said, moving to her other side.  Dekka kept his eyes upon the other man as Phillipe offered out his arm. "My lady, shall I escort you inside? Offer you my jacket? To think, you had been outside with this night air chill!"

Dekka kept his tongue, standing tall and imposing at Kathryn's side, eyes daring the other man's to keep at it.

But Phillipe did, though it was evident there was some waver beneath his gaze.
"And the desserts have been displayed! I'd like to escort you there, if I may." His eyes flickered to 'Calent's' but once, then backt o Kathryn's as his lips curled widely like a snakes.

Ivory

"Nonsense!  Surely, even you yourself have heard how attractive the ladies of Connlaoth find you!"  Realizing what she had said, she blushed lightly, but she pressed on.  "Or perhaps a wise Duke such as yourself does not listen to silly gossip..."  She smiled -- a girlish, modest smile -- and added, "In any case, I'm certain my mother would appreciate the gesture."

Once inside, Kathryn was immediately regretful that they had to leave the gardens behind -- her regret even more poignant as Philippe came scuttling out of the shadows.  God, she thought, grant her patience!

"I was quite comfortable," Kathryn protested, holding a hand up to politely decline the offer of the jacket.  "But, I thank you for your concern, my Lord.  Unfortunately, I had just promised to introduce Duke Calent to our pastries and tarts."

It turned her stomach, but there was only one polite way out of this mess...  "Perhaps," she offered politely, "I can make it up to you in ten minutes or so with a second dance?"

visualspice

Phillipe's brow twitched, as did his lips, almost scowling as he gave way to a bow.
"Very well, my lady Kathryn," he took her hand, giving it a wet kiss, before bowing away. "I shall see you again in my arms."
Turning a glance towards Dekka, he turned his nose to air and left, leaving the two behind in silence.

Dekka only stared at the other man, grinning on the inside. Oh, if he could just be Dekka Blade, the man wouldn't have any more of those pearly white teeth.

"So, shall we try those tarts?" he began slowly. "I think the next song might start soon." He gave way to a frown, but then tightened his lips and waited for her to guide him, after all, she had offered and he was gracious enough to accept.

Tarts... yes...
Tarts were all upon the table, as far as the eye could see, and he felt his stomach rumble hungrily, Thankfully, the music hid that but in the same breath, he couldn't help but smile as he accessed the pastries.

"Do you have a favorite?" he asked, hands now clasped behind him as he bent over, it appearing as if the tiger in his mask were sniffing for some meat as Dekka's eyes continued to graze.

Ivory

"I prefer the honeyed tarts," Kathryn murmured, putting thoughts of her inevitable second dance with Lord Philippe as far from her mind as she could.  She held out a glass towards him -- dandelion wine, this time -- and delicately lifted up a plate containing one of the fine tarts.  "And we can't forget your wine, of course," she added with a smile, both the tart and the wine held out to him in offering.

She herself would not partake, sadly; she would not waste such fine food, when she was not sure how much of it she would taste in Philippe's presence...  He had a...peculiar...odor about him...and, once the Duke had accepted his food and wine, she took a moment to wipe her hand on a napkin, as subtle as she could.

Ugh, what a disgusting man!

"We have some fruit tarts, if you would like," she offered, gesturing to the broad display.  "Almost any flavor you could ask for, I'm sure.  People of Highheart have a sweet tooth, I've heard."

visualspice

'Calent' wouldn't be so rude as to turn down her suggestion, and sampled the honey tart, letting it melt into his mouth as he chewed it slow.  Swallowing, he tried the wine, exquisite, a bit more to his taste as he turned to her with a casual smile. Perhaps he should slow down on his drink- though he could hold his own on liquor, he wasn't sure what sort of man Calent presented him with drink.
"A unique flavor," he complimented, nodded to her and finishing off his tart. His eyes went towards the other pastries, seeking out a good one when the music changed.
He turned to her.
"You know you could always retire to your bed chamber," he whispered to her, knowing full well Phillipe was already on his advance.  "Sometimes a lady needs the extra time to compose herself from all of the excitement from the ball."
Then he turned away, pretending to not even had given that suggestion, his hand going towards a raspberry tart.

"I like raspberry," Dekka told her, after a moment.
And he did.
It was his weakness, as he gobbled the one tart whole.

Ivory

Kathryn looked shocked -- although, soon enough, the corner of her mouth was slipping upwards into a smirk that threatened to spill out of her careful mask of propriety.  What a horrid suggestion!  And, yet...

"A lady always keeps her promises," she answered, trying to look as solemn as possible.  The expression was largely ruined by her smile, however.  "Anyway, he's requested my hand.  I can hardly refuse a man who may be my future husband a simple dance."

Unfortunately...

That was a sobering thought -- although, she laughed softly at his confession that he liked raspberries -- before turning to greet Lord Philippe politely.  "Ah, I was just coming to find you, my lord..."

Ah, the life of a noblewoman in Callaoth...