Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Down by the Sea [Goblin]

Started by Juno, January 08, 2013, 01:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

It was nice to smell the salty air, to feel the warm wind rolling off the water. Spending time by the coasts had practically become his religion. It was easy, relaxing, and offered a simple escape should he need to flee. But it was always the same, something he could be familiar with and come to expect: the tides would always be there, that boulder would always be right there, fish could always be found, warm sand was bountiful and the shades always that much more relieving to bask in.

Everything would have been perfect were it not for the fact that he couldn't have some grand palace right there on the beach. But one could always dream.

Today he was going to do the honorable thing and actually pay for the things he wanted, mostly because it just didn't suit his interests to get a bad reputation with the people of Cerenis. He had his eye out for a necklace of shells, but he wasn't sure what he wanted yet or if he wanted to commission something specific.

As he wandered about the market, though, he could see that the clouds overhead were about ready to ruin his afternoon of lighthearted shopping on the street. He hoped it held until he was able to return to the room he was currently calling home.

GoblinFae

Her mind was a million miles away as she rushed through the market streets trying to remember where all the week's orders were headed. This time of year tended to be a busier one due to the fishing picking up and the end of winter signifying the beginning of celebration. In Cerenis, a feast was not complete without fish.

Riley had been working doubly hard to reel them in and then to deliver them. Her father could still not stand the chillness of the spring air nor the long walks required for heading into the heart of town and back again. It was therefore up to her as her father's daughter to do the heavy lifting while he tended their market stall and cleaned the fish.

'Now was it a left on Emerly or a right?' Looking up and down the street both ways, she really could not decide for sure which way Widow Mylene's house was. Riley huffed and readjusted her hold on the slippery packages of fish before heading down the left side of Emerly.

A single droplet of rainwater on her nose though, quickly had her turning back to the main street in hopes of getting under a roof before the rain started pelting. As much as she loved living by the sea, experience had taught her where there was one drop, a whole wave was sure to follow in no time at all.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

Lucien continued to mull about for a while in relative peace, stopping every now and then to study something that caught his eye, but he had yet to find something he thought worthy of dropping any of his hard-earned coin on. After going on to another section of the market further down the street, though, he realized that the clouds were quickly bearing down upon the town and...further down the street he could see the blurriness he'd learned to associate with approaching rain.

Turning around and blindly running away from it, though, he ducked into the first empty stall he could find and then immediately whirled to watch the rain approaching as he backed as far under the small bit of shelter as he could. What a day ruined! But perhaps not, if the storm would pass soon.

GoblinFae

She could feel the rain beginning to pelt down upon her back and heels as she ran further into the heart of town, trying to beat it before she got soaked. All Riley had to do was find a dry eave to wait it out and hopefully it would soon move further up-shore and just leave puddles for her to contend with on her way back to the widow's house.

'There!' Up ahead was the flowershop's empty stall. The old woman who ran it was only open twice a week and today was a Tuesday. Dashing ahead with her head down, Riley never saw the figure that quickly occupied her intended hideaway.

As such she was incredibly shocked when she hopped in only to look up and have the figure whip around to face her. A startled squeak fell from her lips as she nearly bobbled her precious cargo. "Forgive me, I didn't realize the stall was occupied today. I just came in from the rain. I'm sorry, if you give me a moment I can be on my way again. I won't bother you, further."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

His eyes met movement and soon enough he was faced with a woman. As their eyes met, though, he realized she might have thought he owned the place at the mentioning of 'today.' Putting his hand up, he tried to correct the mix up with, "Ah, I'm not the owner. It's just that the rain..." He stepped a bit further in to allow her room once he realized she was carrying things.

"I'm just waiting for the rain to pass," he explained with a chuckle before looking past her at the drops falling into the street to begin forming little puddles here and there.  "Did your things get wet?" he asked as he gestured to the things she was holding, not wanting to pass the time in an awkward silence.

GoblinFae

"Oh, I see," she stated with a chuckle, gratefully stepping further into the dry space while clutching her bundles close to her chest. "I didn't think you worked here but you never know. Edna certainly is getting up there in years. You could have just been a handsome nephew or something."

Biting her lip slightly while her brows shot up into her hairline, Riley stared down at her packages. The small bit of flirtation on her part had not gone unnoticed by her and was certainly out of character, but she tried to brush it off as she pretended to resettle her packages again.

Distractedly, she glanced up and responded "Pardon? Oh!" A look down again had her smiling softly. "I suppose they're fine. A bit of water won't hurt them. They started out wet to begin with anyway." The fisherwoman chuckled at her own joke before blushing and falling silent.

"What were you off to before the rain caught you?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

The way she spoke he knew she was at least acquainted with the real owner. He would have felt bad for coming in and being 'caught' like that if it weren't for the rain. He did flash her a quick, prideful smile, though, for the compliment.

He didn't understand her joke, though, and eyed the peculiar things as he ran a hand over his hair to feel how wet the rain had gotten it. "What I was... Oh. I've been trying to find something at the market, and with little success, I'm afraid," he offered with a shrug before gesturing to her things again.

"But I suppose you've gotten your shopping done for the day, huh?" he ventured, then chuckled, "And you almost made it, too."

GoblinFae

His smile was infectious and equally returned. "Nay, today is selling day, tomorrow is buying. I shall make my purchases then and pray the rains stop so that I might not come home with soggy bread. There is nothing worse, I swear," Riley chuckled, her eyes crinkling in laughter.

"You're not from around here, are you? Perhaps if you tell me what you are looking for I can point you in the right direction. I know all the vendors and I would like to think I know where all the best deals are too."

Riley smiled up at him winsomely as she rested the parchment-wrapped fish on the stall's counter and began inspecting all the twine. The last thing she needed was for prize fish being spilled in the gutter for alley cats to feast upon instead of the high-paying client it was intended for.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

He was surprised to hear that she was selling....whatever it was she had. He wondered if she was a courier or something, but he didn't want to pry. He made a face, though, at the thought of soggy bread, the thought of it worthless and waterlogged bringing both amusement and a sour look. "I'd believe that!"

But then she was asking about him, offering to help. If she knew the owner of this little stall he was confident in her claim to know the rest of the town's vendors as well. "Ah, you are kind to offer," he acknowledged with a nod toward the street and a smile.

"I'm looking for a necklace...or even a bracelet, I suppose. Of shells. Doesn't have to be all shells, but I just haven't been able to find anything that....grabs my attention. Who would you see about finding some pretty jewelry like that?" he asked, watching as she looked over the things she'd set out.

GoblinFae

"Jewelry," she repeated somewhat standoffish. 'He has a lady then. Might have known, he certainly is attractive enough already to be married. I bet she's expecting too. Mad as a hat he's gone and he is hoping to appease her with that. He would do better than pretty shells but what do I know? I'm just a woman.'

Riley smiled to herself at the jealous direction her thoughts had turned before returning to the question at hand. "The best place to get shells is obviously down by the water. There are plenty of vendors in town but while cheap, it will hold up long enough for you to get out of town and then break. I suggest heading down to the water and taking a right on Trout Street. The house with the giant," she held up her hands to show how big she meant, "shark jaws over the doorway is Nikalo's. He makes the best stuff money can buy. But, he only does it on commission and tourists don't know about him. As long as you don't tell anyone, he doesn't care."

She shrugged nonchalantly. While Nikalo's habits were strange, even Riley would admit that, they were seen as normal for him among the townspeople and as such, she took them in stride. The fisherwoman really did not care to explain it all to this stranger who would probably not remember it all anyway.

Looking out of the stall, Riley was able to notice that the sky was beginning to lighten and the rainclouds to pass onward. "Rain is almost gone. You should be able to get that jewelry in no time at all, friend."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Lucien nodded as he listened to her advice and directions, oblivious to her thoughts about his request. He looked off in the direction he thought the street was and smiled gratefully once she was done. "I'll have to see if I can work something out with him, thank you," he offered, then chuckled, "Though I wish I were a better craftsman so that I could make it myself."

He stepped closer to her and pointed out towards the way he'd been walking before. "So it's that way, right? Just keep walking down?" he asked to clarify, having no idea the way the small, flat roof was bowing above under the weight of water to almost touch the top of his head.

GoblinFae

Riley shrugged and smiled. "It's why we have craftsman in the first place. If everyone could make their own things there would be no business for anyone. And as odd as it may sound, I rather enjoy my job. It would kind of be a bit of a drag to have to do my job and everyone else's, you know?

"But that's probably enough talk out of me for your ears. You just head do-" with a low groaning and a sharp crack, the eaves of the stall gave way under the weight the growing puddle of water and fell inwards, dousing the pair in icy water and broken bits of wood.

The fisherwoman squealed, leaving her parcels as she attempted to escape the ice bath even as her white top became drenched and more revealing. Standing out of the collapsing stalls way, Riley began to laugh and laugh at the hilarity of the situation.

"Are you alright?" she wheezed between laughs, clutching her chest in pain from the lack of oxygen caused by her amusement.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

The shock of suddenly becoming drenched in freezing water left him just standing there even as he watched her dance away and out into the street. And then she was laughing!

Looking down at himself, Lucien shuddered as wave after wave of cold registered to him. Cautiously stepping out of the pile of broken wood at his feet and picking a few pieces out of his hair, he stared out at the comically dwindling raindrops with a tight jaw.

"I think so," he sighed, chuckling at how she looked like she'd just stood out in the street through the entire shower and how he, in turn, must have looked with clothes and hair plastered to him.

Letting his arms go slack to sling off some of the water, though, he glanced to her parcels still on the counter. "Well, I really hope your things are...okay," he sighed. "I need to get changed into something dry. I'll try with Nikalo, though. Thank you for your help." Lucien offered her a smile as he appraised her one more time before turning to leave.

GoblinFae

She smiled warmly to him as the stranger tried to settle himself and remove the errant wood pieces. All around her the raindrops began to fall with increasing slowness until the sky was clear and only a spattering of drops continued to fall. Down towards the beach the sun shone bright and clear while further up the land and towards town and home the sky darkened and the haze of rain could be seen falling in sheets.

"I am glad you're alright. I hope you have a good rest of your day, and a much drier on at that too," she giggled, waving slightly before his words about her packages made her freeze and run back to the leaning and waterlogged counter.

Her fish were drenched, one had escaped to the floor and was already being dragged off by a bold feline while the other four were beginning to show signs of sliding and sticking to their parchment wrappings.

Forgetting about the stranger, Riley went to work trying to salvage the remaining four fish even as the parcels squelch and slid about in her already soaked arms. She could feel the paper tearing and sticking to her blouse even as the smooth scales began to come off on her hands.

The woman hurried her steps back towards Emerly Lane and the widow who was expecting this delivery. 'Please don't be as bad as it feels. Please don't be as bad as it feels!' Yet no matter how much she begged, she knew the moment the woman's door opened. Riley was not getting any extra money from this transaction. Especially not with her mussed hair, drenched clothes that dripped mud on the woman's carpet, missing fish, and battered remaining fish. No this was certainly not an experience to brag about to future buyers.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Making his way back through the streets to the small inn with sloshing shoes, Lucien prayed he wouldn't be scolded for leaving puddles of water when he finally slipped inside. The room he was letting in a baker's house was, unfortunately, at the end of the hall. Tiptoeing his way down the hall, though, only allowed the puddles to pool noticeably as the water dripped from his pants. Making a note to himself that he'd have to clean it up later, Lucien dashed down the rest of the hall and quickly closed the door behind himself.

He hung his clothes up to dry by the fire after he changed into fresh ones. That, unfortunately, wouldn't be enough to distract others from the mess he'd made, so he immediately set out to mop up the rainwater before departing to the streets once more.

Going down the streets avoiding all of the little puddles along the way, he looked around for the jaws the woman had indicated. He found it at the end of the street by a dock and hurried his way to the door and hoped that the man would be at home. When he knocked he was not immediately greeted, but when he was it was by a man who looked entirely displeased to see him. Once Lucien stated his purpose, however, Nikalo seemed at least welcome to share his company and discuss the piece he wanted.

It didn't take nearly as long as he thought it might to convince him to make the piece, but it probably helped that he was paying in advance for the commission. Shaking on the deal and with a promise to return the following day, Lucien headed back outside to return to the bakery as the bright, orange sunset flooded a sky that was now clear with no trace of the earlier clouds.

GoblinFae

Riley endured the client's disparaging comments and accusing glares during the whole transactions feeling quite ashamed of herself. She was quickly chased out of the woman's house with curses following on her heels that she just knew would reach her father's ears within the hour and most likely before she even made it back home.

Once she had exited the street and returned once more the city center, Riley allowed her pace to slow and her thoughts to wander. That had been her last delivery for the day so she did not need to be home quite so quickly and given how it had ended she was in no hurry to do so either.

Mentally counting the coins in her pocket she figured that she had enough to buy a fresh loaf of bread for her and her father to perhaps ease her having to tell him she had not only angered a client but most likely lost their business as well.

Picking up her feet and feeling a bit happier with the idea of surprising her father, the young fisherwoman practically skipped along to the bakery to see if she could snag one of the last sweetbreads before they ran out. The setting sun was a sure enough sign that if they were not out already, they would be very, very soon.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Making his way back through the still unfamiliar but slightly more recognizable streets, Lucien's thoughts were drawn back to the room he was letting from the bakers and the horribly sloppy mess he'd left in all through their home. Wincing at the thought, he hoped he would still be able to make it back to clean up without them noticing the water everywhere, though he doubted it. Knowing how kind the couple had been to him thus far, particularly the woman of the house, he suspected it had already been taken care of for him. Though a thief, he didn't like taking advantage of the kindness of others. It was something he was sure he'd have to find a way to repay them for if that was actually the case.

Oblivious to his surroundings for the most part, though, he made his way back to the shop at the front of the building and entered through that door. He was surprised to see that neither of them were there at the front, but he figured it would give him time to search for a mop in the kitchen. It was only separated from the front end by a half-wall, though, and Lucien was certainly tall enough to stand high above even with his head angled down.

GoblinFae

She entered the bakery quickly and nearly forgot to let the door close gently without crashing in her haste to get a sweetbread. Riley knew how much the owners hated when young customers such as herself let it crash closed in the frame. Taking a moment to catch her breath, the fisherwoman paused to reach a hand into her change-purse and counted once more the few coins that rested within the worn leather.

There was enough but, just barely. That seemed to be how it was a lot lately. Things would be better though, if anything Riley was an optimist and she truly believed business would pick up again. It was just a matter of time.

Feeling more confident and desiring to push stormy thoughts behind her, the young woman strode further into the shop and over to the counter. She placed her hands on the counter and leaned her upper body over it to look left and right, yet did not see anyone inside. Believing she was alone and that the family was in the back, cleaning up or baking more, Riley scooped the customer bell and gave it a mighty shake to alert the building to her presence.

"Customer!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

By the time she'd come through the door he'd given up his search for the mop he was certain was hiding from him. He quickly dropped to his hands and knees as he rummaged through the cupboards for even a simple bucket and some rags. Lucien was looking in all the wrong places, though, because all he was finding was cookware, spices, and ingredients. None of it gave him enough of a kick to any of the small closets in the hall instead of their baking kitchen.

His curiosity quickly got the better of him, though. Before long he was pulling jars out from storage to sit there and look at labels on things that were very much not his to mess with, trying to guess what was in them as he recognized very few words of written language. Unaware that someone else was there, he sat there turning a small jar of honey over and over, watching the stuff inside ooze down to the bottom with each turn. Thoroughly distracted, the sounding of the bell scared him half to death.

Gasping, he dropped the jar and with a muffled crunch it cracked a bottom corner off and started oozing honey across the floor. Panicking, he shot up and tried to find something, anything, to hide his mistake. "Just a moment!" he called worriedly, gulping as he raced across the kitchen when his eye caught sight of the aprons hanging on a hook on the wall. He grabbed the first one he saw and ran back to the jar and the growing pool of honey and threw the apron down over it. It was something he was going to have to worry about until later.

Not hearing his hosts upstairs at all, though, he could only assume that they were out at the moment. Unsure what he should even do with the customer in their store, he figured he would just tell them that the owners were gone. Flustered, he made his way to the little half door that separated the kitchen from the storefront and was about to launch into an apology when he noticed the young woman from before.

"Oh!" he squeaked, genuinely surprised. "Hello again," he greeted, a slow smile creeping across his lips as he struggled with what he should tell her. "Did you need something, Miss?"

GoblinFae

Riley winced slightly at the hurried sounds coming from the back, hoping she had not interrupted anything important. "Take your time," she called back, pulling her change purse for the umpteenth time and recounting the worn coins within it.

Preoccupied with the counting she had not noticed who was approaching until had heard the greeting. Her head shot up in surprise before an answering smile lifted her lips in joy. "Hello indeed," she replied, leaning against the counter with her side and one arm.

"I see the resemblance now," the fisherwoman claimed. "How could I ever mistake you as Edna's nephew when you are quite cleary the baker's grandson? What a fool I was! Forgive me for my mistake?" Riley asked playfully, dropping her chin into the palm of her hand.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Tags: