Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Don't Shoot, The Messenger Is Behind Me! (Open to Wolves)

Started by Brisinger987, June 17, 2013, 02:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brisinger987

Torak had managed to find someone stupid enough to tell them where the wolves lived.

The night was exceptionally young, and Torak walked the sewers of Arca's wealthy district with nothing but a single torch to light the way. He had been told to look for markings. He didn't know what the hell those markings were, or where to look, but another client had told him that the Wolves lived in the sewers. The Soot Wolves they were officially called. And they were a terribly powerful and effective opponent.

They had captured him last night, nearly gotten him all the way to an interrogation, until Torak had tripped, and gotten free of his bonds. This was as good a way as any to escape. Then, when he had escaped his bonds, he had killed all the Wolves trying to hold him captive. According to some, the Shadow Wolves had only lost three men, despite Torak's efforts.

Impressive, to manage to bring seven men back to full health, Torak thought to himself.

Down here, in their territory, he was vulnerable, and lost. He had no idea where to go, and nothing to follow. He had no weapon drawn and a torch in the dark. You couldn't be an easier picking.

kleineklementine

The Blood Wolves moved in small packs, patrolling the entrances and exists around the Wolves' Den. They knew the tunnels by heart and did not carry torches or make a sound. A pack of three was patrolling this part of the tunnels when they spotted Torak.

Deftly, they slunk into the shadows of the sewers. All armed, the Blood Wolves' instinct was to kill, but a stranger wandering these parts of the tunnels would need to be questioned. If there was anything they hated, it was taking a man alive.

As Torak approached, two of the Blood Wolves silently moved in the shadows beside him and behind in. One stayed in front, so that they stranger was surrounded. Once in position, the Blood Wolf in back lifted his large, heavy hammer and swung it at the back of Torak's head with the aim of knocking the man out.

The other two trained their loaded crossbows on him, just in case there was any trouble.

Brisinger987

Torak had not seen the two wolves with crossbows, but the one with the hammer was clumsy, and had let Torak catch a small peek. He had ducked the hammer swing, just to be met with two beautiful crossbows. Which were, unfortunately, pointing at him. He had drawn a dagger, but it clattered to the floor as he realised how wound up the crossbows were. Heavy armour punchers, and Toraks armour was light.

"Well, ya' got me, now what?" Torak inquired. He didn't want to fight and kill more wolves. He had garnered a deep respect for these people, and he was there for a reason. He wanted to join them. They were a powerful, well equipped, skilled group of people, and they had such grace to their manoeuvres and tactics. They were strong too. He respected them because they had a weighty name in Arca. The mention of Soot Wolves sent some packing. The rest ended up dead.

kleineklementine

The Blood Wolves were not phased as Torak ducked the blow from the hammer. The two crossbows remained aimed steadily, one at the Torak's heart and one at Torak's head. And these were not intended to knock him unconscious. The third Blood Wolf recovered quickly and discarded the hammer, replaced by a third loaded cross bow.

"The rest of your weapons can join that dagger," the first Blood Wolf, positioned in front of Torak instructed with a cool, no-nonsense confidence. He had no need for useless bravado. "Nice and slow. And you can take off that tin hat. I like to see a man's eyes if I might have to kill him. If you follow orders and play nice, then you'll come with us. What happens after that is for someone else to decide."

Brisinger987

"Of course. I see you are a man who commands with strength, and simplicity. I respect that, and as such, will comply." Torak removed his helmet, and dropped his sword, and offloaded all his crossbow bolts. He left everything on the floor but a single pouch, concealing a small bomb, should he need to actually hurt anyone.

The third crossbowman was very intimidating, and Torak traced the line of fire of the beautifully made crossbows. Killing shots, all three. They weren't playing around.

kleineklementine

The Blood Wolf simply watched Torak impassively. He was not one to be bought with flattery. He gestured wordlessly for the third Blood Wolf to collect Torak's discarded weapons, while the other two crossbows never left their mark. When the third Blood Wolf was finished, he slung the satchel of Torak's belongings over his shoulder.

"Of course, you'll have to go blindfolded," the lead Blood Wolf told Torak matter-of-factly while the third Blood Wolf tore off a scrap of material from his own mottled clothing and tied it firmly around Torak's eyes. Then, producing a rope, continued to bind Torak's hands behind his back. "And bound," he lead Blood Wolf added.

Once this was done, they started down one of the dark, winding sewer tunnels. The third Blood Wolf leading Torak by pressing his hammer into the man's back. After a few minutes, the pack entered a small, dank, and heavily fortified room. After sitting Torak roughly down, the third Blood Wolf ran off to deliver news of the intruder, the door closing heavily behind him. The other two stayed watching Torak.

Some time passed before the door opened again and now two more Blood Wolves entered the room. At first no one said anything as the Red Jackal took stock of the intruder. When someone finally spoke, it was a female voice that said, "Strip him. I don't want any surprises."

OOC: Hope all this is fine. Let me know if not and I'll modify something. Also, feel free to play out the NPCs taking the rest of his things if you want to. (Or not, obviously, if you don't).

Brisinger987

Torak had no idea how to escape. He knew which way to run, and had memorised the path back with footsteps. He reluctantly got stripped, the armour itself weighing a fair amount, and thus, him lacking in clothing underneath. Just something to keep him half decent.

A female wolf. No doubt high in the command chain. His magic was still working at least, so he could teleport is necessary. Although that wouldn't get him very far.

"Lovely cold room you have here. I'm freezing in case you were wondering, don't want to lose too many minor appendages to frostbite. The armour usually keeps me warm. To whom am I addressing?"

kleineklementine

In response to Torak's question, one of the Blood Wolves removed the man's blindfold. The room, he could now see, was small, lit with only one torch, and with thick walls and a substantial door. And, for the first time, he could see the woman. The new Red Jackal had been to the healers since the events leading up to her recent promotion, but she had opted not to be fully healed and a jagged cut ran down the side of her face, beside the light hazel eye that didn't match its opposite brown eye, healing on its own time. She'd left it as a reminder to what were now her Blood Wolves of why she had been promoted, and what she would and would not tolerate in her inferiors.

Zahi gestured to the Blood Wolf who'd wielded the hammer gathered up the rest of Torak's belongings and, after a quick and quiet conference with Zahi, left the room. A loud clank followed as he locked the door behind him.

"I heard about the stunt you pulled with the Shadow Wolves the either night," the woman told Torak matter-of-factly. Her tone was confidently business, but not yet threatening. She was, rather, explaining the situation to him. "So to save you the energy, you may as well know that I've taken the precaution of bringing you to a room that locks from outside and cannot be entered or exited by magic. I suppose you could try to kill us in the room or to take us hostage to further whatever your motives are, but Blood Wolves do not negotiate, whatever the stakes. So it wouldn't profit from it."

She waited patiently for a moment to make sure that Torak understood and wasn't going to cause any trouble.

"Now, you must realize that there aren't many options for people who come down here uninvited. Especially when they so rudely refuse their first invitation," she said with a faint, wry smile, referring rather tongue-in-cheek to Torak's incident with the Shadow Wolves the other night.

"What made you decide to come to these tunnels, specifically?" She didn't yet specify if she was asking after Torak's motives or information.

Brisinger987

"Ah... Zahi I believe? I am well connected as well, the Red Jackal. An honour, truly. I am here because only three of your men were killed in my response to your invitation, despite the fact I severely hurt all ten men. You are all strong, and those who are weak cannot join, or die. You use tactics that most military tacticians cannot comprehend, you have made a name for yourself that means even my, rather modest Serenian reputation is overruled. I had to threaten a man's pregnant wife to find out who one of you was. I also know of this Rufus, the man who captured me, and the Gold Jackal, and I believe the Coyote as well. It took me several nights of severe interrogation. After that, one of them told me which shops were fronts. And so, I broke in. I have no interest in a fight." Torak smiled at the woman.

"As such, I wish to join you."

kleineklementine

If Zahi Akello was surprised that Torak knew her name and (quite recently earned) rank, she did not show it. She listened to his soliloquy about the Soot Wolves in silence, her expression impenetrable. But when Torak stated his intention to join, she raised her eyebrows in mild interest.

It was intriguing, she thought, how much effort he had seemed to put into finding out about them. Almost like an obsession. The Red Jackal was always wary of people whose interests ran too deep or too passionately or too urgently. Surviving, doing her job effectively and well... those were her interests. Still, it seemed to Zahi that if Torak's sole intention was to join the guild, he took a rather long way about it. Not to mention a foolish one. While this pack of Blood Wolves had done well to capture rather than kill the man, not all would think twice before killing an intruder. She wasn't sure, yet, what to make of it.

"Ah," she said after a long pause. "Well, that isn't for me to decide."

She would have to send for Rufus. Admitting an adversary would have to be his call. But she didn't send either of the Blood Wolves on hand yet. She was in no rush.

"But as a token of your good will, you can tell me which man, and which pregnant wife." It was likely that the Shadow Wolves may already know, but she would have to deal with Torak's informants either way, and she wanted to hear it from him. Then she would send for Canis Rufus.

Brisinger987

"When they were alive, they were called the Johnson's. Annabelle and Timothy. One of your store front owners. I covered my tracks. All those who you would consider traitorous are dead. I figured a group like you would cover your tracks and find your weaknesses, so I disposed of them. They lie dead in another man's grave. The grave was filled in today, and they were buried another two feet down. No-one will find them. They will appear missing. And I sealed up the entrance to your system from their shop. Fire bombs are useful when they burn down buildings and seal a trapdoor shut. That was my final gift to you. I caved in their basement, to hide you entrance. And that is how I got in." Torak smiled at the woman. The coldness in his voice was beginning to physically form steam as he breathed.

"So you may have to find another store front, but the guards believe the fire was caused by a fire place. I left two skeletons in their house, although if those skeletons are burned, they will appear to be missing. People will assume they are buried under the basement rubble, and no attempt will be made to dig that up." Torak shuffled, testing his bonds. They may as well have put him in stocks.

kleineklementine

Though she showed no outward reaction, inwardly, Zahi frowned at Torak's story. The Red Jackal was no sentimentalist, but Torak's actions seemed a tad... overboard. And, in the end, Wolves who went overboard were her problem. Zahi had no problem with violence, but for her violence was a tool. And, like any tool, it had to be used correctly in order to be effective. Any butcher knows that if he uses his best knives indiscriminately, they will blunt.

And too many 'disappeared' families and firebombed storefronts... Well, it could attract attention. Unwanted attention. For a moment, she considered just giving the signal to the Blood Wolves to fire their crossbows. But she decided against it. Maybe, if properly managed, Rufus could make this arrogant man useful.

Ignoring Torak, Zahi called one of the Blood Wolves over to her. "Mikhail, confirm these events with the Shadow Wolves. Then go tell Rufus that we've caught this tin man for him, and that he's applying for a job. At his leisure, though; I don't think anyone here is in a rush," she flicked her mismatched eyes to the barely dressed Torak who had already complained about the cold. "Then you can take that loot," referring to the collection of Torak's armor and weapons, "to the treasury. If he joins the pack, it will be redistributed to him as the alpha sees fit."

The Blood Wolf nodded and waited at the door. At Zahi's command, the Wolf outside opened the door and it closed heavily behind the Blood Wolf. And then the clank of the lock.

"I suppose the Johnson's would have had to be dealt with," she conceded levelly, turning back to Torak, "but it probably could have been done without damaging Wolves' property. If every thief and thug interested in joining fire bombed the ways into these tunnels, we'd have none left. The guild has recruiters, which I'm sure you know since you seem to have gone through a lot of trouble to find out about us. Why not go through one o them?"

If Torak was going to leave this room alive, Zahi decided, she wanted to know what motivated him. And she certainly planned to keep an eye on him.

Brisinger987

"After my stint with the members of your organisation the other day, I figured I would just get killed. Especially after I tried to kill 10 of your men, and actually killed 5, two Dirus' and 3 Shadow Wolves. I figured you would want me dead. Do not think me a mindless butcher. I need to be more refined, yes, but I am working like I have for most of my career as an assassin. I value strength, and the power of fear. You hold those values high, and I admire that. That is why I have done as I have. I could be stronger. Much stronger. But not alone. Let me prove my worth, and I will show improvement, and as much strength as I can." Torak was selling himself now. This hadn't gone to plan, but the conversation panned out in a similar way. She had said that the room could not be exited via magic. He wondered if that meant just the walls. Perhaps, he could teleport in the confines of this room.

He focused his mind, on the spot in front of Zahi. And he teleported. So the walls were shields. Excellent. He was still bound to the chair, but he had moved. It was enough. "You said I cannot exit or enter this room magically. You never stopped me moving around inside the room magically." Then he summoned more energy and teleported back.

kleineklementine

A fraction of a second after Torak teleported, Zahi's knife was at his throat. The pressure of the blade wasn't enough to be an immediate threat, but rather a way of saying, 'Don't push your luck.' She didn't, however, follow him when he teleported back to the opposite side of the small room. She sheathed the blade, her gaze intent on Torak.

The other Blood Wolf looked like he would be only too happy to release the crossbow bolt now aimed, once more, at Torak's head.

"You could still get killed," she warned with a slight edge in her voice, "so I would save your tricks, assassin. You won't profit from them here."

She held her gaze on him for a few moments longer to make sure she was understood, then perched herself on the low stone ledge of the room. She crossed her legs and continued in a more casual tone, "As for your worth, I'm not necessarily the one you need to prove it to."

Brisinger987

"You understand that I mean you no disrespect? I am merely interesting in proving my worth to the Soot Wolves as an organisation. I understand that if I am accepted I will be your inferior until I earn my place. And I do not wish to have to watch my back. So can we discuss these problems now? You never know, you might learn to like me." Torak laughed, leaning back in his chair. Torak wanted to be released from his bonds.

"If you release me, I swear to harm no-one. On my honour as an assassin and a human, I will harm no-one. On my honour, name and life." Torak motioned with his head to his bonds.

kleineklementine

Who did he think he was, her boyfriend? 'Can we discuss these problems now'... Why not all sit on the ground, holding hands, and talk about their feelings?

Zahi gave a short laugh that was also a little bit of a scoff, leaving a small, amused smile on her face. "It isn't important if I learn to like you or not," she told him simply, still faintly amused. "It's my job to keep an eye on other Wolves. And you," she pointed out, "aren't a Wolf yet."

She shook her head, looking at him if either he were stupid or he thought she was stupid. "No, you'll be released if Rufus decides you should be released," she told him calmly. "Your honor, name, life, word, dick - whatever you want to swear on - don't mean anything to me."

Brisinger987

"Well then, when will Rufus get here then?" Torak sighed, bored. This was beginning to tax his patience, and he was soon going to fall asleep.

kleineklementine

"He'll get here in his own time," Zahi answered, "he's a busy man."

She watched him carefully, but did not say any more. She found it a little amusing that after 'several nights of severe interrogations' the man was losing his patience now. But she didn't say so. No point in antagonizing him. He was an interesting character, though. Very hot and cold, it seemed to her. One minute selling himself for all he's worth, the next in a silent huff. He'd be interesting to watch, if Rufus let him live.

Brisinger987

"Haha, I would say I was, but clearly I am not." Torak chuckled. "So what is there to talk about? I am sure you want to pass the time while we wait. Ever play a foreign game called Black-jack? It's an interesting little game that I am very fond of. If you would get some cards and untie me, I can teach you to play. No bets, just a friendly first game."

Torak had recently found he enjoyed playing card games, and found it was a good waste of money he didn't spend. He wasn't particularly lucky, but he did well at blackjack.

Aeytrious

The messenger found The Red Wolf in the common area of the Den. He was having a drink and chatting with Heinin and Wag.

The large and muscled Wag had turned down the role of Dirus recently, saying he preferred his job of keeping rabble rousers in line in the bar. He had a fondness for knocking heads, and preferred not to carry more weapons than his wooden cudgel and leather sap.

Heinin had been the Coyote at one point, but with all the connections he made, he decided to step down into the easier position of the lead fence. He was the best at moving goods, and he was happy not to have any real responsibility.

These were the two wolves that Canis Rufus spent most of his time socializing with. This was of course because they were both secretly Shadow Wolves. Wag garnered information from the loose lips of drunk Wolves. Heinin picked up useful information from all the deals he was making. They were on a very short list of Wolves that Rufus didn't question the reliability of their reports. They had never failed him, and he was glad to have them. The two of them often worked together, filling in the holes in each others information to paint a much clearer picture for Rufus. Tonight, though they laughed and joked as they drank, they actually were talking in complicated code. They were relaying a tale of deeds that were making Rufus angrier by the moment. It seemed this Torak Val Korra, had tortured and killed loyal Wolves. Nobody dared to make such moves against the Wolves. They were well established, respected, and feared. Sure they only had stepped into the light, and become public knowledge since the man, whose secret name was Theodore Wrenthis, had brought them such great success and filled their ranks to bursting, but those that dwelt in the dark underworld of crime should know better than to cross them. What was more, Black-skull apparently wanted to join. If that was the case, the fool had gone about it all wrong. You don't kill Wolves and then ask for admittance.

The real problem was that one with skills such as his would be useful. Very useful. If he could be kept in line, abilities like his would be excellent for work as a spy amongst the Shadow Wolves, and he would make an excellent Night Wolf. Wild animals were often hard to control though. They were all Wolves here, all predators, but they followed the rules of the pack. If wolves over fed on their prey they would soon starve and the weak would be culled. The same was true for Soot Wolves, they had to balance themselves with the ecosystem of Arca's society and economy. Could this wild animal be tamed? Or at least controlled well enough that he could be a useful tool?

He saw the Blood Wolf messenger approaching and raised a hand to silence his drinking companions. "I take it you were sent to bring me news from Canis Simensis about the 'Tin-Man'? Well the Wolves in the Shadows have already brought me this news. I am happy he was not killed on the spot. Everyone involved in his capture drinks on me tonight. Now fetch Chora and take her to the holding room that was prepared for Torak. I will be there waiting for her with Zahi."

"Right away sir," the messenger said as he rushed off to take the orders to the healer.

"Well gents, keep up the good work. We'll have drinks at our usual time again tomorrow."

"Of course sir," the two said in unison before going back to their duties.

Canis Rufus finished the last of his ale in one long take, let out a deep sigh, and stood from his stool at the bar. "I've never been fond of assassins Alko. I put up with Jarrett, and now it seems I'll be bringing this Night-shadow into the fold. Why must I deal with these blood dealers?"

"You have never wasted a tool that you could put to good use Theo."

Canis Rufus growled at the use of his given name. "You know I don't want you using that name Alko. You are the only one to know that name that I have spared, don't make me kill you old friend. Just because you saved me a number of times when we were boys does not mean I won't remove you if I feel you're a threat." He turned without awaiting a response from the bar tender, and headed to a meeting he would not enjoy.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey