Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Political Party

Started by visualspice, June 18, 2013, 04:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Katahnia chuckled at his claims, and nodded when he admitted to not being in any relations. "I see, getting wrapped up in your duties? Sounds like an Allarian excuse." She said with a playful roll of her eyes, but as he continued speaking, her smile broadened at the mention of her cousin. "Yes, Kella is very pretty. I don't think she realizes it either, how much potential she has there if she were to use it. She's rather shy and humble, so it can be a bit trying to explain to her how to flirt. Though what sort of cousin would I be if I didn't help her out?" And her eyes shined a bit at his last phrasing on friendship. "Well, it seems, if anything, you are making quite a number of friends today. You could even use my friendship, if you ever wanted to visit. I should be staying with the pair of them for a time."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Now THAT was insulting and Conall's offense showed, "Indeed? Unlike an Allarian , my duties entail matters that actually concern the people."He glared at her for a moment and then shook his head at her eyeroll.

He tried not to laugh at the idea of her trying to teach Kella to flirt. Kella wasn't very good at it. Then again, neither was he. "I think it's refreshing to meet someone about as unpolished in such things as I. I was beginning to think I was alone in my awkwardness. Although, I suppose she could stand to have a little more confidence in herself though I can't blame her for feeling such unease."

He looked at her curiously and then he grinned, "If you're inferring to all of those poor people I've accosted here on the dance floor,  then I don't think I'd include them among my list of friends. I suspect some of them may be plotting my murder before the night is over,"  He said with good humor and then added a bit more seriously, " Thank you, Miss Harmond. I would be honored if you were to consider me a friend in due time. " She hardly knew him nor he her so it'd be a little presumptuous of them to consider each other friends in this moment. "Anyone with the gall to make Allarick listen is certainly the sort of person I'd be honored to know. He doesn't grant many that privilege because his time is far too precious. You usually have to deal with that sweaty little pig adviser of his." 

visualspice

Katahnia's grin grew. Teasing this duke was rather fun. If it were ever to come about that Kella were to marry (and he to understand their consequences of such a marriage), she'd have a lot of fun teasing him at family occasions, or when she would visit 'her favorite' cousin, Kella.
But hten to bring up the visor, she rolled her eyes.

"Little pig is right, Vesrik is hardly a man, so I wouldn't dare categorize him as such. Though I'd rather speak on anyone else. Such as yourself.." and her soured expression turned brighter, her green eyes sparkling again with mischief. "So tell me what sort of things you like. Do you have a favorite dish or family heirloom or dessert that makes you overly elated, my duke?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Conall studied her expression with a frown. He wasn't sure he LIKED that look she was giving him. It reminded him of Luvina and her schemes. She was thinking of something cheeky. Oh yes, he could tell!

He nodded at Vesrick's name which ....kept slipping his mind. He was fighting not to break his composure and laugh. He sobered at her change of topic. His face flushed slightly, "M-me? " He tripped over his feet and stumbled into her, "What? Why ME? Is that - we could- I'd rather not."

ooc: lol

Conall composed himself, " Horses. " He said, knowing that she probably wouldn't allow him to escape without answering her question. "I enjoy horseback riding. Which isn't exactly a dish or an heirloom...but it's...an Ardal thing, I suppose. Everyone owns a horse. The horse is very important to our people. You're given one when you're about four or five and learning to ride is basically one's right of passage out of childhood. You grow up with your horse, you work with it....it's sort of like having a dog I guess.  They don't call the Ardalir the horse people for nothing. Most people use their horses for farming, others train them for war....I like to race. It's quite a rush.  " He looked a bit sheepish.

"Ah what else?Archery, fencing, reading...all things I'm sure that a lady would find incredibly fascinating. Am I boring you yet? Feel free to stop me anytime. "

visualspice

Katahnia giggled, wrinkling her nose at him as she caught him in mid-dance.
"Do be careful of my toes, Duke Shanley," she teased. "I'd hate to have to explain to Kella why I'm limping on our way home."
And then as he mumbled on about what he DID like, her smile grew, her expression warming, though that mischieviousness was still there.
"Ah, horse riding, one of my favorite past times." she informed him with a playful batting of her lashes. "I would have to agree. It is quite the rush. And archery, too. And I love fencing and reading." She gave another giggle. "Too bad you're interested in my cousin, though she loves to read as well. And we go on evening horse rides all the time. Well, as long as the weather permits." Her eyes were positively glowing, her face, beaming with expression as the two continued to dance.

"But Kella loves flowers, she loves being in the gardens." Kat began. "And is way more fashionable than me, and she does have a thing for animals. Her poor old dog had passe away but a month ago and she still mourns for it. Poor thing. It was quite the noble breed of dog as well. Very rare around here, but it clung to her side like a child, like a friend."

Paradox

"R-really?" He looked a little surprised. None of those things were considered activities that a lady should be interested in. Of course, he held his tongue. Whether or not he believed in such things, he wasn't one who appreciated being told what he could and could not do. He wouldn't impose such things upon another. "Ah, the adventurous sort, are you? Well, that would explains a bold personality." And possibly why she wasn't engaged.

His face turned a dark shade of scarlet. He wasn't quite sure how to respond to what she said about it being a shame that he was interested in her cousin. He tripped again and recovered , barely.  "Wha-? I-I... indeed." He managed, suddenly feeling a little hot under the collar. He looked away. He was NOT going to let her see his sudden discomfort. It probably would only fuel her wicked ways.

He was only too relieved that Kella hadn't picked up on her cousin's terrible habits! Or he wouldn't have been able to utter any intelligent words to her whatsoever. 

He was relieved that the conversation shifted to Kella. It gave him time to recover from...whatever that was. An entanglement of ...confused feelings and awkwardness.

Conall laughed at her comment about fashion though. He might have been among the least fashionable at this party in leathers, wools, browns and greens. He thought he looked quite simple, elegant, masculine...but he stood OUT. The people here had strange tastes. They wore colors, smoother and lighter materials, foreign and expensive materials with fanciful patterns. The most fancy he got were the intricate patterns of knots and equine shapes in his leather armor. "That's not such a bad thing," he offered her a smile and then changed the subject, "Your cousin and Lord Tinstall? They are not...seeing one another? He seems quite taken with her and he doesn't seem like a bad fellow. "

visualspice

Katahnia playfully rolled her eyes at the mention she was adventurous and merely shrugged, giving him a leerful glance of mischief.
"I suppose you could call me bold. I'd blame my parents. They taught me to speak my mind, through and through.." though she gave a sad sigh. There was no need to explain that that was what had gotten them (and their entire duchy..) killed.

So as he spoke of Lord Tinstall, she raised her brows, and unfortunately for her, she gave a bark of a laugh.
"Oh, forgive me!" she hadn't meant to spit on his face when she laughed. She blushed. "Er, Tinstall he... well... let's just say it would be honestly.. quite difficult for any man to court her." She admitted witha  bit of a frown. "It's why she... hasn't quite married just yet." But she purposely left out the 'why'.

Paradox

"An admirable, yet dangerous trait to have sometimes, " Conall knew too well. It taught him to hold his tongue though he envied those of lesser station who could speak their minds and take all of the risks offending people because few would care what was being said. People cared what he said. Almost a little too much sometimes to the point of sheer tedium. There were times when he would have liked to have an irrational outburst. Just to get it out of his system, but people were always watching him. He sighed.

Her laughter was charming but the saliva that hit his cheek certainly was not. Conall's initial reaction was to jerk away from her and furiously wipe her spit from his face. She could probably see the look of discomfort intensify and he looked uncertain of how to react to this. Spit. On his face. Gross.

He forced a polite smile and slid his hand from hers for a moment, breaking their dance, "Not to worry. I've come prepared.. " He searched his pocket for his kerchief and frowned. "I seem to have misplaced my kerchief. " He prepared to wipe it off with the back of his glove which was ...really not sanitary but he wasn't about to dance all night with her spit stuck to his face.

He looked at her curiously though when she mentioned it being difficult to court Kella, " It has something to do with her illness, I suppose? " He didn't know the details and wouldn't press for them but he wondered why it was difficult. Was she infertile? Contagious? Or was her family overbearing?  Or maybe Kella herself wasn't interested, but the latter was hardly a thing parents ever considered when marrying off their offspring. His parents had never once considered what he wanted , but he was told it was just the way of things. How it was supposed to be, traditional and so on. He'd eventually grow to love whatever woman they chose for him. And that hadn't turned out to be true at all.

"What about you?" He inquired , curious. "Not that I...you know, but I was just- well,  I mean. You're here...and you and Tinstall? "

ooc: lol...nosy Conall. D:<

visualspice

Katahnia blushed, fumbling herself as they danced by the awkwardness caused by her laugh.
"Er.. s-sorry about that," and she reached int her dress, producing a kerchief laced with her perfume. "Here.. err.. to help with.." and hse looked away, tucking in her lower lip. "The spit." She then looked back at him, waiting for him to take it before her brows rose at his last few statements.

"Yes... er illness.." and she frowned, sighing impatiently as she looked away, but then when the conversation went back to her, her brows were raising again. "Me and Tinstall?" ANd her brows raised even further before she laughed, but this time, placed a hand properly over her lips to keep from spitting on his face this time (just in case). She blushed and shook her head.

"No, no. He's more like a brother to me," she said, smiling a bit over the idea before sighing. "No.. but there has been talk of an engagement to my cousin." Blaith, but she probably didn't have to paint that picture as she looked away, appearing a bit less like herself, maybe even a little melancholy at the idea as she watched the two Harmond's dancing on the other end of the ball room.

"Though who's to say I'll ever marry," she mumbled, never once her eyes looked away from Kella and Blaith. Could she really do it? Just give herself up to protect them? They were family but...
and it was then she found herself stepping on Duke Conall's food as she gave a start, and stumbled forward into his arms.

Paradox

Conall held the frilly thing up and sniffed it, "Is this...? Perfume?" These Northerners were so..."Is that ...lilac?" Flowery. And his kerchief probably smelled like barn animals for all he knew. Well, maybe Kella hadn't noticed? Oh who was he kidding. She probably could smell his stink from MILES away.

People tended to comment on him smelling faintly of horse and he TRIED to cover that up. They had NO idea how challenging that was short of drowning himself in perfumes which was just...well, he was NO woman! He'd rather stink a little, thank you!

"Ah...I mean. Thanks." He used the offered kerchief to wipe away just her saliva and then awkwardly gave it back to her. Well, he probably shouldn't feel TOO bad , right? It was HER spit!

They resumed dancing.

He looked quizzical at her amusement at his thinking that she and Tinstall might have been a couple, " What's so funny? " And then she told him of her possible engagement. "Oh. Congratulations then, " He didn't know the Lord of Turgall so well, but he seemed...alright, he supposed. Better than many others he'd had first meetings with, but a first impression was not always accurate. So he couldn't really confidently say much of anything about the matter. She didn't seem very enthusiastic about that and he picked up on it, but wouldn't press the matter. He somewhat understood the sentiment .

He wasn't sure what to say so he elected to keep his lips sealed. However, when she went distant and tread on his foot, his eyes bulged and he gasped. And then she stumbled forward and he caught her in his arms, awkwardly. At least he kept them both from falling.

"Unless it be against your own will, I suspect you might find someone if you haven't already.  You're...an interesting young woman, Miss Harmond. Beautiful  , graceful and a strong sense of character. 'Tis little wonder why Lady Turgall looks to you so, " he ought leave it at that lest she thought he was hitting on her. He offered her a polite smile.

visualspice

Katahnia hadn't really expected the compliment, and blinked as she peered up at Duke Shanley with a gentle blush to her cheeks.
"The restraints of marriage to a woman in my position must be dealt with delicately. I might not have any other choice aside from my cousin." And just like that, the music had ended. Curtsying to Conall, she bid her farewells.
"It was a lovely dance. Perhaps next time we'll step less on one another's toes."

Paradox

"Miss Harmond, "He swept down before her, bowing elegantly, "thank you. It's been pleasure."  He watched her depart and was about to do the same when he was approached by another Lady who offered him her hand for a dance.

He really didn't want to dance anymore , but he didn't wish to be rude and turn her down. Had she not seen him earlier? Did she not fear her feet being trampled ?

No. Apparently not. They danced , but it was...horrendous and , shockingly, he wasn't the bad one this time around. The lady whom had offered to dance with him was a tall, awkward thing . Very thin and body with a long, horse-like face and long, straw hair. He had no idea who she was and couldn't get a single word in because the moment he'd accepted her hand...she'd talked, and talked, and talked...about ....mostly herself and he couldn't process what she was saying to him because she spoke about ninty words a minute and kept breaking in her words every so often to let out the most obnoxious laughter.

When is this going to end?  I really should just learn to say no...
"Hey, are you listening?"

Conall hadn't been for the last ...minute, perhaps. "Pardon, I had a thought-"
And she continued talking over him about herself. He was only too happy to excuse himself and abandon her company at the end of the song.

He noticed Luvina and Tinstall were STILL dancing. He approached them and they seemed to be, "Are you two DRUNK?" He inquired, looking and sounding incredulous.

"Oh don't be silly, *hic* my boy!" Luvina laughed. "Lord Tinstall and I had a couple small teency little glasees of bubbly...drink! HEhe *hic*! "
Conall shook his head at them both, " Really, Lady Delgrin. How old are you again?"

"Oh relax, Conall. There's plenty for you too! *hic* ! "

Sighing, Conall left the pair alone to dance and went back to the dining area for something to drink. The older men were gathered , conversing about politics as usual. Conall ignored them and went straight for the wine. 

visualspice

Conall wasn't the only one at the wine table. Normally, Katahnia wasn't one to hide behind a drink, but she had left the dance in a hurry, and had just about downed her entire glass when Duke Shanley was approaching. She turned away, not wanting to be caught in such an embarassing manner when more political banter caught her ear.

"Yes, it's a shame mages hide behind their abilities. Those that flaunt their taint without the mark... unforgivable," one man was telling to Duke Calent as they conversed in the corner.

"Yes, but even those who possess it with the mark should not flaunt it at all," Calent reminded cooly.

There were more grumblings over the matter, and Katahnia found herself holding her tongue, and also had forgotten Duke Shanely had even ever been approaching, her pink cheeks just a bit angry from over hearing more banter that bashed mages and turned it into slander that made them appear to be dogs.. and her cheeks were also pink since she was slightly drunk.

"Yes.. some mages are just like a dog in a suit! Untamable, tainted, and wild," one man was agreeing wtih a shake of his head.

"And that famous pirate, and he'sa  bandit now too? I can't believe you have to deal with sucha  nuisance, Duke Calent. What do they call him..?" one man asked, and Vesrik chimed in..

"Well, he calls himself Seven because of his ridiculous outfit, or Gods know why, but we simply call him the mage bandit of Allar.." he rolled his eyes. "Just the other week he stole my wife's good pearls. Such a scandal it had caused. My wife was rife with anger. It took me all of three days to calm her down and hse insisted I find the pearls myself. Naturally, the pearls were no where to be found, that scandalous villain probbaly made off with it to pay for a night int he whore house, no doubt." ANd Vesrik gave a sniff, and a glaring look over towards the windows. "Mages. Ugh, if we could be done wiht the lot of them.. the better!"

Paradox

Quietly, Conall poured himself a drink as he listened to the conversation around him with an impassive expression. He noticed Katahnia and smiled at her though she'd turned away from him, probably embarrassed. He politely turned his attention away from her however and pretended not to notice her. He drank his wine leisurely , feigning a contemplative expression and not really looking at anything in particular.

Conall chuckled, clearly taking amusement in Vesrick's proclaimed woes. He could already picture the porkish pair squealing and flailing in unison while a dashing thief escaped out the window with a pearl necklace. Really? So much a fuss over a necklace? And Vesrick called him childish?  He had to make himself drink some wine to quiet himself before he drew attention to himself. The image was pretty amusing to him. He wiped a couple tears from his eyes and turned away. He wanted to burst out laughing though. Right in Vesrick's face.

A pity the thief hadn't made off with more.

"Good for you , Seven. I'll drink to you tonight," Conall muttered to himself and grinned. He poured himself another glass. Mage or no, any man who made Vesrick's life difficult was alright in his book!

visualspice

Katahnia barely caught the words Duke Shanely was muttering, and had she not been going for more wine she might have missed it. So with a refilled glass, she lifted it out and touched her's lightly to his.
"As will I."
ANd she sighed, drawing her drink to her lips.
"It seems these smelly conversations tend to weasel their way into every social occasion."

Paradox

Nodding slightly, Conall subtly expressed his agreement, " Such are the times that we live in. Were these conversations the least bit productive, I might partake but wherever Allarick and that corpulent leech that clings to his ass is concerned...it's always the same old rhetoric. "

"Vesirick, you cannot be serious, "the host of the party, Lord Roland spoke up, " really? I think that's a little extreme for such a trifle. My condolences, but a pearl necklace is hardly a loss. Money can be replaced. You should hear the stories I've been hearing from the south. I've heard reports of a group of hostile mages , highly organized even, attacking military outposts and robbing merchant caravans bound for the capital and...Allar. I should say one might ought to be far more concerned about that." The large, typically jovial man put forth.

"Yes, but how do we know that all of these vagabonds are mages, "Lord Griswold interjected. He was a short, frail old man with thick, round spectacles perched at the edge of his absurdly long, hooked nose and he had an enormous white mustache that wiggled comically with every word spoken. "They could be simple dissenters. It isn't as though this hasn't been an issue before."

Roland Delgrin nodded, "True, but the eyewitnesses claim these thieves were wielding magic." He adjusted his belt," And many of these merchants and supplies were in fact being taken to churches."

Conall clinked his glass against Katahnia's and downed his drink in a single gulp. Too bad there wasn't something stronger served here. He would have liked to get drunk enough to not care what these people were saying.

"Indeed, and it's only a matter of time before they grow bolder and start taking their aggression out on the faithful." A noblewoman added with a sniff.

"They ought to be put in their place," the man next to her agreed. "A pity the Grand Duke is so...merciful, bless his soul. Were it up to me, I'd lock them all up so they couldn't be a bother to the good people of Connlaoth."

Griswold wiggled his enormous mustache and eyebrows and snorted, "Oh that's preposterous! Do you realize how many mages live here? Where are you going to keep them locked up? How ? There simply aren't enough Mordecai to accomplish such a thing and do you really think that people will just stand for that? You , sir, are a fool."

"Any Mordecai is worth well worth more than ten mages whom are powerless." The other man snorted at old Griswold, "If they don't like it, their wretched kind can go to Serendipity for all I care or Hyoite. This land belongs to Ansgar and his children. "

Others murmured in agreement.   

"and anyone that thinks otherwise is a heretic and a traitor." The man continued.

Roland tapped his glass with a spoon, "Gentlemen, settle down please. There's no need to speak of one another with such venom. Opinions can be expressed in a more civil manner or you're welcome to escort yourself to the door."

Conall poured himself more to drink and leaned in close to Katahnia to whisper, "See what I told you? Arguing in circles. Completely unproductive." He started drinking again.

visualspice

Katahnia drew in a slow and careful breath at his words and held it. There was so much she wished to say, but held her tongue. She downed her entire second glass of wine and turned to Conall with a smile.

"Talking to those who go in circles is just wasting hot breath." She curtsied rigidly to Conall. "But I must find Kella. It was a lovely talk." If one could call it a talk at all. It was apparent she was agitated by it, her cheeks flushed as she moved to leave. "Excuse me."

Paradox

In one swift movement, he took a step after her and grabbed her wrist. His grip was firm, but gentle. "I would hear your thoughts,"he offered, " whatever they might be."

She looked like she needed someone to talk to though part of him wondered if it was a good idea to volunteer his ear. Again. But it was the polite thing to do and as a leader, it was his duty to listen to people, all Connlaothian citizens whenever he could.

visualspice

Katahnia was taken back by his forewardness, and the grip on her arm. She blushed lightly, realizing she was in no right mind to be spewing off her views over politics, especially since she was well into her second glass of wine, but also feeling somewhat relieved someone else out there seemed to care. She seemed to waste a lot of words at these events.

"Yes, but your poor ears might fall off," she replied with a chuckle. "But I could do with a brief walk. Perhaps outside? I heard they have lovely gardens and the cool, night air would do good for me. That is, if you'd oblige in being my escort." she said, smiling warmly.

Paradox

"I don't mind," Conall released her arm and , "besides, were my ears to do so, you'd be doing me a favor. I'd never have to listen to Vesrick's bigoted squealing again. That'd be a blessing from Ansgar, I assure you." 

He nodded, "Indeed, I shall accompany you. I could do with a bit of fresh air as well. " He bowed slightly, "Ladies first."

They left the dining hall together and ventured outdoors. Conall walked at a leisurely pace beside her. He had little interest in gardens, but he admired the care that went into keeping it. "So, I take it my dancing didn't drive your sudden desire to consume a fair bit of alcoholic beverage? I'm not offended be that the case."  He knew better than that, of course. Well, he didn't think HE was the reason she was drinking but one could never be to certain!