Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Political Party

Started by visualspice, June 18, 2013, 04:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: I'm so excited for this thread.. YOU HAVE NO IDEA
nyhahahaha
<3

Now if I can successfully describe the history that flows up to this point concisely enough- we're golden!

------------------------

How long had it been since she'd been to a ball? If you counted the years she had been imprisoned in crystal, quite many, actually, and this being her first one in ages, Katahnia felt jittery, her hands growing warm and sweaty as she remained with her cousin within her room as the pair prepared themselves with powder on their faces and securing jewelery against their skin to dazzle for the ball.

Ever since she had her baby, her family had done a lot for her; and though she was grateful, she felt... horrendous, guilty, even a little hurt. Having to give the child away to someone else's care was... a horrible act and she wasn't entirely sure she condoned it.  Infact, she had cried the entire way back to the duchy. But the woman was nice, and had helped her while she was staying up north to have it, so she knew the woman would love and take care of her daughter well, and to keep the secret safe.

But how long had that even been? The father, well, he was no longer in the picture, no thanks to her own anger getting in the way; but she couldn't help it. To have found him in bed with another woman, even when they were arguing it... it broke her heart nad even to today, she felt her stomach tie in knots over it and her eyes burn with tears. And to think, this woman even shared the same views as her on equal freedoms for mages.

But she had to swallow that down and put on a happy face, or whatever happy face she could. She had spent so much time and energy finding her family, that she was elated her Uncle was still alive, (and his children, too). It was a surprise to see them all grow up, since before her family's duchy had been decimated, they were barely the age of three.
Now, since her arrival, it had been thought to have her marry her cousin Blaith to get her back into the family name, and to also keep the secrets of his power (and that of Kella's too) under wraps. It was one reason neither twin had married. This would also secure the secrecy of her own identity as well.

To find out what the twin's power were.. well, their powers were terrible, at that. They could not touch anything or anyone, lest they fall prey to their wicked magics and die. Though not much could be done about it, her Uncle still held the ideals of her own parents, stil voicing, albeit a lot quieter, his desires for more equality towards mages. Though most of his words always fell to def ears, and most other nobles simply rolled their eye at him.

Today, however, marked an important turn in her life- a turn where she would return to a life that had been taken from her so long ago, and now here she was, staring at herself back in the mirror, feeling guilty over the path she had take..

Cauwyn..
She had loved him, and to leave him so... it broke her heart, but she was mending, though it was still tender. What would he do if he ever were to find out she had been with child? Or that she had that child already? She had.. tried to send word to him, but that had been so many months ago, and who knew if the courier had ever delivered the letter. But when a second letter was sent, also providing unfruitful, she fell into a pit of despair and depression, a depression that only  the birth of her child had cured.

Life.. to see a child so innocent in the world.. it brought her a renewed energy towards what she had been fighting for, what her FAMILY had been fighting for so many years ago. So when she returned, she informed her Uncle she did want back into the duchy, back into politics, but under her own accord. SHe said she'd decide later if she would accept the engagement to Blaith, and simply left it at that. The world could see them as 'courting'.  Both her cousins understood, so while readying for the ball, Katahnia was still fretting over so much, Kella approached her and placed a gloved hand upon her shoulder.

"Do not worry, at least you don't have to fear your touch killing others," Kella said, hoping to lighting the mood.

With a sigh, Katahnia smiled and patted her cousin's hand. "Oh, Kella, you were always one for words." And the two girls' laughed and exchanged hugs, careful ones, but tight, nurturing hugs all the same.

"So.. you ready to go to the ball? I heard Duke Calent will be there and he is quite the eligible bachelor. Though one must question why he is so old without a wife already."

Katahnia rolled her eyes.
"I'm not looking for marriage, and if anything, I'll probably end up marrying Blaith."

Kella nodded. "It would be nice, indeed. That way we can stay close."

Katahnia smiled.
"I'm just glad you're coming with me."
Kella gave a hesitant smile, but Katahnia noticed it.

"Don't worry, Kella, you'll be fine. Just.. be careful no one gets too close to you if you know what I mean." Kella blushed while Katahnia stood and offered out her hand.  "Now, come , let us go. There's a party to attend."

And as the two exited the room, Blaith was waiting at the door, looking as suave as ever.

"Hello, ladies."

"Hello, Blaith."

He cocked his head to one side, admiring his sister. "That dress looks good on you, and her dress looks good on your as well, Kat." He gave his cousin a wink. "Come on, the carriage is waiting." And the two girls exchanged glances, smiling at one another before the group disappeared into the carriage and made their way to Uthlyn. It would be a long ride, but well worth it, and as Kat glanced out the window, she took in the city scape with wonder.

"How long has it been, do you recall?"Kella asked.

Katahnia turned to Kella. "Too many years to count. But the city looks as beautiful as ever."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

He'd thrown the invitation into the fire and said he wouldn't go. Yet here he stood now, bored and irritated. I'm going to hang Gawain for convincing me to accept. Conall thought sourly , but offered a smile to Lady Luvina Delgrin as she wound her way through the crowds to speak with him, "Oh my word, Lord Shanley! It's been ages! I didn't think you'd come!"

Conall had been hoping the gossiping old hen wouldn't have found her way over to his corner. He'd tried to make himself not stand out, prayed he'd have his evening mostly free to drink in peace ,but people found him even if he wasn't the most outlandishly dressed.

Conall forced himself to smile, "Lady Delgrin, you haven't aged a day since I saw you last. And forgive me for being so bold, but your attire appears rather slimming. " That was true, at least. Conall wasn't comfortable with paying compliments that held no truth. Not that he'd never offered any shallow compliments in his time. There were times that called for them, sadly.
"I have!" Luvina laughed merrily. "I'm so glad someone is kind enough to notice. This, my dear boy, is the work of a splendid new diet I learned from Lady Erlina. I lost a whole twelve pounds! Can you believe it?"

"Really?" Conall wasn't quite sure how to respond because he didn't care all that much. "That's wonderful. You look great. "

"I do." Luvina declared proudly, striking a pose that she thought was sexy. Conall shook his head at her dramatics and offered a more genuine smile this time. Oh Lady Luvina...to think that she and his mother could act so ridiculous together. It was hard to think anyone could have coaxed his mother to behave so...informally at times.

"You know , Roland was hardly impressed! Do you know what he said to me when I told him the exciting news?"

Conall grinned now, "I can imagine."

"Indeed! That old dog. He can be so ornery!"

"So was father. Remember the two of them together?"

Lady Luvina laughed,"I think we all do, my boy. Your father! He was terrible. I was shocked when I heard he'd convinced your mother to marry him. "
"So you've told me many times." Too many times, in fact. Maybe her memory was escaping her or she just loved telling the same stories over and over again. He smiled again," They must have made quite the pair. "

"They did! Your father always knew how to make an entrance, I'll say. Ah, but we're not here to reminisce about the past. Darling, I must inquire why you're standing here alone when you should be among the crowd? Becoming acquainted with all of the lovely and single ladies, hm?"

Conall felt suddenly uncomfortable. One of the reasons he dreaded talking to Luvina was that she was quite the nosy old biddy and determined matchmaker. Every time she'd met with him at functions like this, she tried her hardest to match him up with someone. He understood that she meant well, but the woman tried way too hard and often the wrong types of women for someone like him. "I'm fine, really. I was just watching everyone and enjoying my drink."
In peace and quiet. Please go away. Now.
She didn't though.

Luvina looked up at him and then over in the direction that Conall was looking. At least she assumed that the duke was staring that way. "Oh. Aren't you a sly one?" she adopted a mischievous look that Conall found slightly unnerving on a sixty-five-year-old woman.

"Pardon?" Conall wasn't sure he wanted to know.

"I see who you're looking at." Luvina said slyly with a grin. "Shall I introduce you? I know her."

"I wasn't looking at anyone. "

Luvina laughed ," Lord Shanley, you need not be so shy about your interests. At this rate you'll be like poor Lord Allarick. Bless his heart. "

To be compared with Allarick...that was offensive but he bit his lip and forced a smile that looked very forced, but Luvina was too caught up now in her matchmaking mission to notice that she was starting to irritate the Duke of Ardal already.

She touched his arm lightly, " Well, if you don't care much for Lady Cassandra then how about her?" She pointed at another woman standing with a group of other young noblewomen , talking about ...well, he hardly cared to know. It was likely gossip. "She's pretty."

"There are many lovely ladies here, but I'm not really looking for ..."
"Oh! What about her? She's rather stunning. I think she'd be perfect for you! Do you like blondes?"

"..." Conall sighed. This was going to be a long night. Maybe he'd get in the habit of drinking before the night was through.

ooc: *eats all the descriptions!*

visualspice

Lady Luvina always held quite the excessive parties, or so she was told, and as she and Kella kept arm to arm along side Blaith, the group of Harmond's finally entered the room.
The place was lively, with violin and cello music playing off to one side. Servants were bustling about, offering up drinks of champagne and hors'douerves, that of which Katahnia and Kella took with a bit of a giggle.

"I must say, I'm glad someone is able to wear that blue dress," Kella began. "It really shines on you, Katahnia. It's just a shame that I, I can not wear it." The young girl blushed at the comment, and Katahnia wved it off.

"Though you have to wear high collars and long sleeves, you look stunning as well, Kella,' Katahnia said. "But come, maybe you and I can share the first dance?" And Kella giggled as the two girls took off, not to dance but to check out the punch table and the sea of snacks.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Hooking her arm in his, Lady Luvina led the reluctant Conall Shanley away from his quiet corner and into the crowd. Conall didn't recognize any of these people, but lucky for him...he really didn't need to because Lady Luvina always took the pleasure of introducing him to them whether he knew the people or not. Conall believed that Lady Luvina liked reminding people that she was a personal friend of a Duke. Luvina adored all of the attention it awarded her. It made her more important and therefore with near-complete access to all levels of gossip. That was really the only thing she was truly after. The juicy info. The drama. It made life exciting! And she relished knowing things other people did not.

"Lord Murdock, Lady Esther. This is my dear friend , Conall Shanley. Duke of Ardal, you know, "Conall smiled at the couple and bowed his head politely in acknowledgement. "Pleasure to meet you both," He smiled warmly.

"You're the Lord of Ardal eh? " Murdock inquired, "I've been there a couple times, you know? Charming place, Ardal. No Allar, mind you but it's beautiful in it's own way..."

Blah blah blah...

The moment the man started talking about Allar, Conall's mind shut down. Allar? He was hardly interested in that topic of discussion. And really not that surprising coming from an Allarian nobleman either.

"Your pardon, my lord, my lady, I must excuse myself. I'm feeling a little parched. "Conall slipped away, leaving Luvina to chatter away with the stuffy Allarians.

He was more than happy to be away from them. He found the refreshments table and scoured it. There was a lot of alchol. No water, it seemed. Sighing, he grabbed a bottle of wine and a glass and started pouring himself a glass. As he was pouring he looked up for a moment and his eyes caught sight of fair lady whose beauty caused him to stare and completely forget what he was doing. His glass was more than full now and it spilled over the rim of his glass splashing onto the table and making the other nobles near him stare at him. Some threw him indignant looks, some looked confused , women giggled and some others laughed.

It took a moment for Conall's mind to register how foolishly he was behaving and his face turned a dark shade of scarlet. Trying to cover the embarrassment he was feeling. The MASSIVE level of embarrassment he was feeling, he offered a laugh and grinned.

He felt like a complete imbecile and he wished that he could hide.

Under the table.

Forever.

Or at least until people forgot this little...lapse in intelligence.

visualspice

The pair of blondes had been enjoying their time, and rapsberry wine beside the table, when Katahnia noticed a pair of eyes staring their way. Katahnia smirked and nudged Kella with her hip.

"I think that gentleman over there is staring at you, Kella," she teased, and Kella, peering over her shoulder, took notice and her cheeks turned pinked as she looked away.

"I dare say I'm afraid I don't even know who he is," Kella whispered. Katahnia found herself giggling.

"Shall I go introduce you?"

"No, no!" Kella said, trying to hunch down low and keep her back to him to appear inconscpicous.
Katahnia laughed.

"What are you afraid of.. kissing him?" she teased, but the look on Kella's face made her apologize. "I"m sorry, Kella. Come, why dont' you and I go to the parlor room? It sounds like someone is playing music."

And the two girls walked off, arm and arm, but not before Katahnia glanced a playful and obvious look back to Lord Shanley before the pair of girls disappeared intot he next room. And it was true, someoen was playing a piano, a certain quiet noble who has, in most recent years, been the center of gossip for some time.

Handsome, unmarried Duke Calent of Allar; a man of 'many mysteries', as it were, as perched upon the piano bench, playing 'The Solemn Song of Spring'.

"Oh, I remember this song," Katahnia began, thinking back to her time in Harmond, before the duchy had fallen and became nothing but ruins. "My mother used to sing this on Sunday mornings when it was raining."

"I wish I could remember her. She had been beautiful. We still keep her painting, even if we can't hang it up."

Katahnia smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes as she looked away from her cousin, and over towards Duke Calent.

Paradox

When the lady looked his way, Conall's heart skipped a beat and he froze up. He smiled , like a boy . An awkward one. Had his brain still been working properly, he might have imagined that he must have appeared quite silly. None of that seemed to matter though as he forgot everything else in the room except the lady he had his eyes on...

All was ignored...

Including the wine that he was till pouring.

All over the table. 

The look Kat gave him wasn't lost on him. Well, he SAW it but he wasn't quite sure what it meant. Was it an invite or one of those "I'm watching you" things? Women and their language was still quite foreign to him.

"Want a little glass to go with that wine, Shanley? Ho ho ho!" Luvina's husband, Lord Roland Delgrin slapped Conall on the back and gave a hearty laugh that shook his enormous belly with every merry sound.

Conall looked down, noting the growing puddle on the table and set the bottle down on the table , looking very awkward. "Oh...I...haha."

A servant girl rushed forward to clean up the mess, but Conall relieved her of the rag she brought. "No, no. Please . I was the fool who made the mess. Allow me."

"My lord, you should let me. Unless you know how to remove stains, "the servant insisted, "Lady Luvina would have a conniption if she saw a spot on one of her favorite dining cloth!"

"Ah. Fair point." Conall surrendered the cloth to the servant as Roland gave him another slap on the back.

"Careful, my boy. My wife might be disappointed if you find a wife without her. "

"Oh I'm sure she'd recover quickly. She'd want to plan my wedding out for me anyway. " Conall chuckled in good humor and Roland laughed. Because it was true. "But I had no intentions of seeking marriage opportunities."
Why am I here?

"Indeed, so you have an eye for the Turgall girl, eh? She's a fair one although-"
"What? N-no I. Was just admiring her – not her. I wasn't. " Conall insisted, flustered.

"Admiring what?"

Damn it. Luvina was back.

"Not what, dearest. Who? It seems young Shanley has an eye for Lady Turgall," her husband spoke up .

"You fox!" Luvina laughed delightedly.

"Turgall? " Conall looked at the Delgrins, but more specifically Luvina, "You know them? "   

"Not really, " Luvina admitted reluctantly, sounding very much displeased that there was something she didn't know much about for one.

Conall tried to hide his disappointment. He left the table without a word.
"M'lord! You forgot..." the servant scooped up neglected glass of wine Conall left behind, "wine..." she finished and sighed. The, looked around to see if anyone was paying attention to her. Excellent. No one cared enough about her plain existence.  And then, in one swift movement, she downed the contents herself.

ooc: Mighta had an amusing idea but I'll have to share it with ya when we chat next. HRGHN! How dare you try to have a life!

visualspice

As Katahnia and Kella kept to their own portion of the parlor room Duke Calent played, Katahnia's eyes began to move across the room.
"So who do you think is the most suitable woman here to wed Duke Calent? I'm afraid I don't know much about him, but he seems handsome enough," Katahnia began, taking a delicate sip of her wine.

Kella watched him, blushing."He seems awfully quiet. He might not care for marriage."

"Not care for marriage?" Even Katahnia had to laugh at that. "Sounds absurd." But then as she laughed, she frowned at Kella. "I'm sorry, don't worry. I know you won't be able to marry off yourself, but at least if Blaith and I-"

"You know you don't have to marry him," Kella said, smiling up at her. "There are a lot of nice gentleman here. I know you'd only be marrying Blaith to help hide the horrible magic we keep-"

Kathania's eyes looked around, then she moved in quite closer to her cousin.
"Lest I remind you to keepy our tongue quieter, Kella? Someone might hear you speak?"

"Speak about what?" said a curly red-haired man who had a thousand freckles on his cheeks alone. He smiled down at the girl's with his baby blue eyes.

"Oh, Lord Tinstall!" Kella exclaimed, and the man took her by the hand and kissed the top of the glove.

"Ah, always a fan of hte gloves and high collars. But it's good to see you are out. I know you are ill often," Tinstall flirted. Kella's face turned pink, while Katahnia rolled her eyes.

"Yes, Lod Tinstall, can we help you?" Katahnia asked.

"I couldn't help but thought i over heard the pair of you talking about magic?" he eyed them suspiciously. "Not thinking about going to the dark side to coax out a husband?"

Kella paled, then blushed and looked away.
"It's not like that." she began.

"Of course not because you could be courting with me," the man flirted.

Kella felt uncomfortable as the man drew close.

"No offense, Lord Tinstall, but I don't think freckles are her favorite skin color. Maybe if oyu grew a beard to hide them.." Katahnia teased.

Tinstall drew back, feigning he was hurt. "Oh, my wounded heart."
Katahnia rolled her eyes yet again.

"Yes, your wounded heart if you don't leave my cousin alone."

"Why now, Kat, didn't know you were the hired guard dog!" Tinstall said, blue eyes shining. "Perhaps its' you and I who ought to court! You know I like them blonde."

Katahnia sighed and shook her head. "I too, am not into such freckles." She said giddly, taking Kella by the arm. "Come Kella, we should move out to get some fresh air on the balcony." And the two girls turned to walk away.

"Oh, come on! You'd leave me all alone because I spoke to you and you got spooked over magic?"

"Magic doens't frighten me!" Katahnia called back, as a challenge, and Tinstall only laughed.

Paradox

Ansgar, what am I doing?

As Katahnia and Kella exited the dining area and moved to the parlor, he'd left the Delgrins and his wine in a bit of a hurry. He didn't quite run because that would have made him look absolotuely ridiculous and he wasn't quite that deperate to meet this Turgall woman. He was just curious. Yes. That was the right word for it.

A man could be curious to know a woman without having some manner ulterior motive, yes? Of course. He was a gentleman.

And as such he ...bumped into a few nobles as he made his way to the parlor. "Watch where you're go- oh! Duke Shanley! I'm SO sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going!" The previously indignant noblewoman gasped and verbally stumbled over herself to humble herself before him.

"No, no. It's quit alright, madame. I apologize for my lack of attention. Are you alright? "

"Oh yes, m'lord. Don't fret over me..."

Conall offered her a smile , "Pardon me, I'd love to stay and chat but I have...important matters to attend to. Please, excuse me." He slipped past her and carried onto the parlor.

As he got there he slowed his pace and stuck to the furthest corner of the room, hidden from a direct view of the pianist. Conall had no fear of Calent Allarick and hardly felt inferior to him. He didn't wish to be pulled into a converstaion of any sort. Calent seemed to take pleasure in attempting to lure Shanley into a "debate" and make a mockery of him. Sometimes it happened , sometimes it didn't. Conall was not really one very experienced with such things, a point that some of the nobility loved to exploit. He was young and not quite...so twisted by politics. Yet.

No, he didn't feel like so much as hearing Calent speak in his arrogant monotone this evening. He'd rather spend his evening in bed, illness gripping him and vomitting all night in a bucket...

And that was the honest truth.

He watched the Turgalls moving through the crowd and kept his distance as his mind raced , combing over various scenarios that would give him an adequate excuse to meet the lady without making himself look like a drooling fool. Which was, sadly, sort of how he felt right now. Not that he was drooling because, well, that was disgusting.

But he'd been noticed before. With any luck, Lady Turgall hadn't noticed the bit with the wine...then maybe he could just 'acidentally' bump into them and play it off as a coincidence. Or maybe he should just be forward and ask her to dance or talk. Talking was good too. He liked talking. Sometimes. Well, not really. Depended on the subject.

He'd about made up his decision when Lord Tinstall beat him to the punch. Conall remained distant ,watching and scowling the entire time. Nothing personal against the man but he was foiling his plans!

Wait...what plan?

Oh right. Accidental meeting. Conall moved to follow after the women once the exchange with Tinstall is over. At a distance , of course but wouldn't you know it? One of them looked back over their shoulder and Conall , for the lack of a better word , freaked out and dove behind a tall potted plant that hardly managed to hide his person.

Maybe no one noticed.

"What are you doing, Lord Shanley?" A jovial , freckled man noticed his absurd behavior and laugh.

Tinstall, I am going to kill you.

visualspice

It was as she was calling back to Tinstall, Kathania caught sight of the Lord from earlier dive behind a potted plant, or something of the sort. But when Kella turned around, all she saw was Tinstall standing over top of someone and giving a wicked grin.

"Oh, who is he harassing now?" Kella said with a disapproving frown.

"Oh just that-" but before Katahnia could get the words out, Kella stormed right over to him.

"Tinstall, really, what on earth are you-" and as Kella was about to begin her beratement of her friend, she gasped, clutching her chest when she noticed Lord Shanely on the ground.

"What's wrong, Kella?" ANd he gave a Cheshire-rick grin at the pair as he DRAGGED Lord Shanley off the floor and held him, wobbly foot, beside him.
"I was just helping the son of the Duke of Ardal to his feet, that's all." And he pretended to be dusting off Lord Shanely's suit

Kella, who had paled once at first seeing him, was now completely red-faced.

"You helping anyone?" Katahnia asked skeptically, raising a curious brow. "I think that man can speak for himself. You probably pushed him over to keep him from my cousin. I saw him eyeing her from earlier." And Katahnia smiled back at Lord Shanley, to let him know it was true and that his jig was up!

And Kella's face went as red as wine.
"I.. excuse me, I... do not feel well," but before anyone could stop her, she turned right and took off for the balcony.

Tinstall gave Katahnia a glare.
"Did you have to go and embarrass her? You know she's sensitive."

"Oh, the good you're doing! You always come around to make her so uncomfortable!"

"I can't help it if I like her, Kat."

"Then don't act like a rat towards her and maybe she won't hate you!" Kathania argued.

"Hate me?" Tinstall paled.

Katahnia sighed, realizing the harshness of her words. "Well, whatever you are doing is NOT working. So you might want to think on changing your tactic, hrm?" Then she turned to Lord Shanely. "And you, why aren't you going after her?" She smirked. "It's a perfect time now since she's alone."

Paradox

Had he tripped or had he been pushed? He hadn't the slightest idea. He thanked Tinstall though not out of any feelings of gratitude but for the simple fact that it was what was expected of a gentleman. Conall righted the plant which he'd somewhat knocked over, sweeping the dirt from his clothing ."Thank you , Lord Tinstall. " He afforded a polite smile to the man whilst imagining his hands wringing the man's neck.

Though when Katahnia spoke directly to him , making it plain that she knew what he'd been up to his face turned the color of a cherry and he felt dreadful when Kella left.

Horrible first impression. 

"Pardon. I am the Duke of Ardal, actually," he corrected without a hint of superiority or irritation in his manner and gave a slight bow. Some people were ignorant of what had become of his House and he found it now bothered him less than it used to. The less people who recognized him, the better. He was growing ill of all those lesser Houses trying to proposition marriage with their random daughters.

Conall watched their exchange, silent and not emotionless. He looked very uncertain of what the proper course of which to respond. The way these two interacted so...freely with their thoughts and expressions. It hardly seemed – well , mother wouldn't have approved to see him behave in public in such a way! But he found himself smiling a little in spite of himself. An interesting pair, these two.

So this Tinstall fellow liked this Lady Turgall? Perhaps he ought leave the poor girl alone then. She didn't seem terribly interested in being pursued though his intentions were...

His face darkened when Katahnia boldly suggested that he 'go after' her? Go after her? What did that mean, precisely? "Pardon me. I'll check on her." He bowed slightly again and slipped past them to proceed to the balcony.

visualspice

Katahnia smiled smugly that her plan had worked, and remained off to one side, semi-spying on her cousin as Lord Shanely approached. When Tinstall approached,s he smacked him and hissed, "Don't you dare make a noise." Then she smiled and looked back to the pair out on the balcony. "I want to hear what they are saying..."

Kella remained by herself, the only one outside on the balcony during this hour, while the inside of the manor was just bursting with noise. So many people.. guests..
and it sounded as if the music was about ot start. That's what got her attention as she turned around, and as she did, she gasped, noticing Conall approached.

"Oh.. forgive me. You startled me." And just as nervously, she turned away, uncertain what else to say as she bit into her lower lip, chewing on it.

Paradox

Conall paused when the lady turned around to see him. He offered her a warm smile , nervous though it was, "Apologies, Lady Turgall. I didn't mean to cause you any alarm, let alone make you feel uncomfortable.  Being here now probably doesn't make things any less awkward, I suppose and I apologize for that as well. "

He felt slightly dismayed when she turned away. Perhaps that was her way of telling him she'd like to be left alone? Perhaps she thought he was looking to court her. She was rather beautiful and he would have been surprised that she wasn't arranged to be wed.

He moved to stand nearer to her, by her side but he was careful not to encroach upon her personal space too much.

"I have no proper explanation for my peculiar behavior. I noticed you, a new face in the crowd and you piqued my curiosity. I don't recall seeing you before and I thought I'd introduce myself. I am Conall Shanley of Ardal."

visualspice

Kella turned back to him and gave a meek smile.
"Yes, I don't get out often since often times I'm ill." But then catching his name, she blinked and realized, "Though I suppose you might understand." Then she blushed and sheepishly added, "That is to say.. were you not often ill yourself? Do forgive me if I am wrong." and she found herself wringing her hands anxiously.

Paradox

"Oh." She had an illness as well? That explained quite a bit. "I'm sorry."

Conall looked surprised when she inquired about his own illness. Few people knew of this though it was speculated upon quite heavily. His parents had adamantly denied the truth of this, but there were still those that whispered about it and believed. " Perhaps, if you believe in such accusations about my health. It's not a topic my family welcomed to open discussion nor is it something I myself am comfortable with discussing because it makes people treat me differently than I'd like. They make certain assumptions in their ignorance about my condition. Don't worry, "He smiled, "I'm not contagious, I assure you. Though I'd appreciate it if you kept the truth of this knowledge between us.  "

visualspice

Kella blushed at his words, but smiled a little and nodded.
"I will keep my lips closed." and her smile grew a little, though was shown more in her eyes than lips. "I'm not really one to gossip."
But then spotting Katahnia and Tinstall looking their way, her cheeks turned pink again.

"I.. it looks like my cousin may wish to speak with me." and she glanced up into his green eyes, bowing her head. "And it sounds like the dances are about to begin."

Paradox

"I appreciate your discretion," Conall returned her smile and then his eyes followed the direction in which she turned her head. Seeing Katahnia and Tinstall there...wait. What were they doing?

Have they been watching us this entire time? They seem close enough to listen.

Apparently Lady Luvina wasn't the only one at this party who couldn't mind their business.

"Indeed. I shall not keep you then.  It was a pleasure meeting you-" He realized that he only knew her House name. "A moment. I didn't catch your name? If I might inquire? "

visualspice

Katahnia and Tinstall weren't the only ones watching. A man with dark hair to his chin, a subtle beard, and dark eyes and shaggy, low brows kept his eyes upon them as Kella had made her way out onto the balcony. He had watched her like the shadows, fit into any scenario he heard she would participate like a glove. And now was no different. Ever since he had first layed eyes upon Kella Hardmon, Chesrick Klaust was hooked. He had to have her, and not in a good way. He'd kill to make her his bride, and was always angered when his plots were thwarted. It seemed Blaith Harmond watched over his sister like a guard dog. It had been so many years since she had come to age. THough he was happy she never married, he remained dogged as he tried to get near to her. Seeing Blaith was no where to be seen, he stepped out onto the balcony and made himself easily noted.

"Hello, Kella."

Kella whirled around, gasping and taking back by the man with the dark hair and suit. She hadn't even gotten a chance to give her name to Lord Shanely, but now she found herself too stunned for words. At least, for that brief moment before she caught her breath.

"Oh.. Mister Klaust." She curtsied to him, forcing a bit of a smile. And the way the man looked over her.. it gave her every reason to feel even more anxious than before. Her brother warned her about him, though she liked to see the good in all people, even Kella had gotten the creeps from a man like him.

Klaust gave a subtle smile, one that was almost like a wolf's while it was on a moonlit prowl.

"I'm glad I found you. It's been ages," he bowed, kissing the top of her gloved hand. THen glanced over icily at Lord Shanely. But paid him not much more attention than that. "I noticed the music has begun and you are not on the dance floor."

Kella felt her hands begin to sweat beneath her gloves.

"Would you care to dance?" and Chesrick offered out a gloved hand.

Kella hesitated, standing there for the longest time before awkwardly looking away, when suddenly he took her hand and squeezed it, hard. She gasped, looked up into his eyes as he smiled. Agian, it was a smile like an animals and she felt herself wavering beneath his gaze.

"I..."

"You'dbe delighted?" he said, chuckling softly.

Kella blushed and looked away again.

"I suppose it couldn't hurt.." or so she hoped, and before anyone migh tbe able to stop the pair, he drew her closer to his side and lead her off onto the dance floor. She is mine, he thought. All mine, and tonight, I will prove it.

Katahnia frowned from where she had been watching. Then looked over at Tinstall and inquired, "Who was that?"

Tinstall grumbled.
"Just some merchant lord big shot," the man said, kicking the ground. "And rumor has it, he's had a thing for Kella for quite some time now. But Blaith keeps her away." He rubbed at the back of his curly red hair and sighed, then turned to Kat. "Ah well, care fo ra dance then, love?"

Katahnia laughed, but took his offered arm. "Alright then, but just one dance, freckles."

And the two were laughing out onto the dance floor.

Paradox

As if things couldn't have become more awkward, they were interrupted by a strange man who , to Conall's sensibilities, was extremely rude. Conall was , at the very least, glad to learn the Lady Turgall's name though he would have preferred to learn it the proper way. Klaust , Kella called him.

Though awkward in expressing himself in more personal encounters, Conall was no stranger to sensing tension between individuals. More specifically, discomfort. The manner Lady Turgall responded to this man was very different than the reaction he'd received from her.

Or maybe he was imagining things because he was jealous?

Jealous? Oh that was silly. It was more like he was annoyed. Very annoyed. This man was intruding upon a private conversation with NO formal introduction or pardon for said intrusion whatsoever.

The inappropriate manner in which this rude man viewed Kella struck him as...
Wrong. Yes. There was something unsettling about this man, but there were many men among the nobility with such crude behaviors. He really shouldn't have been so surprised.

The Duke of Ardal elevated a brow at Klaust who continued to ignore him and proceeded to lead Kella away to steal a dance that he wasn't so sure that she wanted. She didn't seem eager. She just seemed to let him guide her.
And as they were walking away, Conall knew he couldn't keep his mouth shut. He followed after the pair of them and cut Klaust off and stood blocking his way, "Excuse me, sir. And I use the term rather loosely , in your case, but our conversation wasn't properly concluded before you forced your way into it and rather rudely if I might add. Unless you have some pressing business that requires immediate participation of Lady Turgall, then I suggest you step aside and allow us to bring our meeting to an appropriate close. I think the Lady can speak for herself and you, as a gentleman- assuming that you ARE one, should allow her to manage her schedule as she would favor rather than forcing her into your agenda. You can request a dance from her afterwards. "

He was indignant and made no effort to hide it. His voice was raised slightly to illustrate that fact.

visualspice

A dangerous, cold flash was caught within his eyes, and Kella was not ignorant of it. She gasped silently, not only out of surprise that Lord Shanely would speak up so boldly on her behalf, but by the cold, harsh tension brewing like a storm by the dark man at her side. She felt herself trembling, and did hte only thing she could think of in that moment as she forced a pretty smile for Conall, one that never reached her eyes.

"Oh, it is not his fault. I was the rude one."s he curtsied even more rigidly than before. "But the dance has already begun, and I had accepted. Perhaps you and I can speak later and share a dance at that time?"

Though the dark look Chesrick was giving to Conall told him silently to stay away. He was already staking his claim here.

"You heard the lady." And he gave a cold smile. "She wishes to dance." And with nothing more to it, he drew her away, Kella not even glancing once back towards him befre she was swept out ont the dance floor, appearing very much the mouse caught by the cat. But the pair looked beautiful, dancing away across the dance floor. She, in her tight skirts, a dress that went from neck to toe, and not a single piece of skin exposed, except the soft white color of her face, which had become incredibly paler during the whole ordeal. So tot he music she waltzed, finding herself entrapped beneath the man's gaze as those dark blue eyes of his pierced into her.

"You will not dance with that man," he growled.

Kella looked up at him, afraid. "What.. what do you mean?"

"Because tonight you will become mine, Kella. I have waited too long to seek you out, and I will wait no longer." As the dance ended, he kissed her hand, spotting Blaith amongst the crowd.
"For now, I will depart. I will see you before the night is over. And we shall dance again" ANd Kella found herself strangly alone, trembling before she disappeared somewhere to cry.

And as the song did come to an end Katahnia smiled at Tinstall and bowed.
"You are a marvelous dancer. Who knew you could be so skilled with your feet?"

The red-haired man laughed. "Very funny, Kat."

And as they moved off the dance floor, Kat's eyes scanned for Kella. "I wonder where Kella has gone?"

"Yeah, I don't evne see that merchant, either." Tinstall chimed in.

"Oh look, there's Blaith, perhaps he's seen her?"

Paradox

Conall did not back down. Did this man think he could intimidate him? Kella might have felt nervous but Conall Shanley was pissed. And few people would claim to have achieved such in so much of a short time. 

However, he was even more absolutely flabbergasted when Kella claimed the lack of manners was hers. Was she serious? Or was she just trying to keep them from a confrontation which could have very well escalated into something nasty.
Because Conall wanted to do something rather ungentlemanly.

A fist through the bastard's teeth would have taught him to think twice.

He stared at Kella, somewhat disbelieving but what could he say? Were he to argue that it sure as hell didn't seem like she'd agreed to let this pig dance with her...

It was just a dance. There was no cause for a scene. Still, he couldn't shake his indignation. How was this man even invited to a party like this? A classless pig of a man? Conall fumed as the smug jerk took his leave with Kella in tow.

He remained there on the balcony alone for a few minutes to collect himself, to calm his anger , before he returned to the party.

So that was about three times he'd made a fool of himself now?

I need a drink. He found his way to the table and was about to pour himself some wine when Luvina found him and insisted upon being his first dance for the night . He wanted to refuse . He wasn't in the mood and then there was the whole bit about not being able to dance but Luvina was an old woman and , thankfully there wasn't a whole lot of footwork involved to keep up with her.
He knew people were watching, probably snickering to see a man his age dancing with an elder woman rather than a beautiful young lady, but he ignored it.

"You're such a magnificent dancer, Lord Shanley! "Luvina complimented.
Conall wondered if she was being sarcastic but then again the dancing they were doing was hardly what one could even call dancing . It was slow and more like just lethargically swaying from side to side in time with the music. Luvina didn't have much energy in her to do anything more than that.

"You've no idea, " Conall replied sullenly. And his eyes kept wandering over to a certain couple. 

Luvina knew his expression. "What's wrong, my boy? Did the pretty lady break your heart?"

"Nothing's wrong. "

Luvina looked over her shoulder, spying Kella and Klaust dancing. " Lady Turgall. My husband told me you seemed rather taken.  She turned you down, didn't she? "

"I didn't even-"

"The nerve!  I'll have a talk with her right now unless she's already committed. Is that her husband? He's not...very charming look, I dare say. Yes. I rather don't like him with that dark hair and all. He look so...foreign. And you know what they say about breeding with foreigners..."

Conall's grip on her waist tightened. "You will do no such thing. Lady Delgrin. There's nothing the matter. I merely had a cordial chat with her. There's nothing else to talk about. "

Luvina didn't seem to be very pleased to hear this.

And as the music ended Conall noticed Kella leaving. She appeared to be upset.
"Thank you for the dance, Lady Delgrin. Excuse me." He went to follow Kella Harmond. She might have wished- no. Probably wanted to be alone , but he was concerned.

He found her alone, bent over and ....he heard – well, thought he heard soft crying . He froze and considered leaving her be, but found that he could not. "Are you alright?" He asked gently.

That was a stupid question. Of course not! Those were  not tears of joy. Not really thinking, he pulled a handkerchief from his pocket and unfolded it, walking over to her side and holding it out in offering for her to take.