Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Waiting Game ((Nascent! Open-ish))

Started by kleineklementine, June 25, 2013, 08:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleineklementine

Olive barely heard the sound of Kasna's drawn blade, distracted as she was by the memory of Sieben. Despite the fact that she was a mage – or perhaps particularly because she was a mage – Olive was unsettled by the presence of magic at work. Whatever that creature had been, she was sure that it must, in some way, have magic. It had disappeared in front of her eyes! Olive looked back up the ravine to tell something more to Kasna about the creature when she finally saw the blade in the Knight's hand. If Kasna wanted to kill her, Olive knew there was nothing she could do about it. There would be no time to run, and where would she go?

Olive swallowed.

Then Kasna felled the tree branch and proffered it to Olive. The girl breathed out her relief before grabbing onto the branch and pulling herself up. Once she was out of the gully, she flung herself around the Tracker, holding on for several moments before picking herself back up, and turning back to Kasna.

In the last few days, their close quarters and cloistered interactions had made Kasna familiar to Olive and much of the defiance Olive had originally held towards Kasna had dissipated. As such, she looked thoroughly chastised. For a moment, anyway. "But, listen, it was... I don't know what it was... I wasn't chasing it, it found me," she continued quickly as they walked back through the darkened forest, overlooking Kasna's comments about made-up phantoms. "It offered to help me, or, rather, it offered the help of another like it. It offered to save from you," she added more pointedly, hoping that might get Kasna's attention. "And wasn't there something about a jester? In Reajh?"

Olive had been pretty isolated leading up to Kasna coming to collect her, but she was sure she had heard something about a jester... a vigilante? Or... she raked her mind, trying to remember the forgotten details. Oddly, it didn't occur to her in that moment to keep any of this from Kasna. The Knight was the danger she knew, the Jester was the danger she could only guess at.

Nascent

(OOC: Super-serious apologies for the unacceptable lapse in posting here; things have been more than a bit insane for me in past months and, unfortunately, a lot of things slipped through the cracks. Hopefully you're still interested in this thread and willing to keep going, all things considered. Again, HUGE apologies for letting this and so many other threads lapse. >_< )

It was the mention of a jester that did, at length, draw Kasna's attention -- a psychopathic killer in a carnival mask who'd taken credit for the assassination of the former Grand Duke. The knight stopped dead in her tracks and scrutinized Olive's face and gaze closely, as if trying to pluck out some manner of hidden truth from there.

It was while they were stood there, Kasna half-glaring at the marked mage like a silent interrogator, that they heard the sound of voices. And then a scream.

From the direction of the camp site.

The swordwoman muttered a curse -- followed by words of penance -- under her breath. Something had gone wrong, she was sure of it. She didn't know if this 'jester' or whatever the creature Olive claimed to have met was involved in any way, but she knew trouble when she heard it. Not waiting for the girl's consent Kasna grabbed Olive's wrist and pulled her into a run, heading for where they had left the carriage and driver behind.

The voices and screaming became more distinct as they approached and Kasna slowed, crouching low behind a bush. She released her iron grip on the young aristocrat and gestured with two fingers held up to her lips -- a sign for silence -- and then pointed to Dac, seeming to suggest Olive keep hold of the dog. "Don't make any noise, and stay well behind me and low."

Half crouching, they moved steadily closer to the camp site. The light from the small fire and the voices coming from nearby it gradually made the situation clear: their driver had been ambushed, waylaid by a group of bandits six strong. The poor man was bleeding from a crossbow bolt jutting out of his shoulder, laid out on the ground with a burly-looking brigand interrogating him at sword-point. Other members of the group were rummaging through the carriage, no doubt in search of valuables, while a man in a tattered black robe stood at a distance and watched it all like the phantom of death.

"I swear to you, we don't have any! This -- AAHHG! -- this is a passenger carriage!"

"And any passengers worth hiring ya for must have a few trinkets and some coin with 'em, so give 'em up or yer a dead man, blighter!" The sword-wielder put his boot on the driver's chest and pressed down, eliciting a pained cry from the man.

The horse, tied to a tree nearby, whinnied and bucked at the cries of pain, trying to loose itself. Fortunately the noise it was making helped mask Kasna and Olive's approach. The raiders began shouting back and forth to one another, apparently frustrated with the lack of valuables to be had. The man in the black robes stood and watched, unmoved.

"Where's yer passengers, eh?" The swordsman asked again. "Out for a midnight stroll in the woods? Or did they run out and leave ya without yer pay? Where'd they go?!"

"Don't waste your time." The robed figure finally spoke up, stepping towards the wounded man. The sword-slinger stepped aside hastily at his approach. "If they're nearby they'll likely have heard all this racket by now and likely have fled. We may yet find them along the road... but for now we take what we can,"

Licks of fire flared to life around the man's hands as he held them outwards, an arcane inferno rising into being.

"And dispose of any witnesses."

A stream of flame surged forth, engulfing the head and shoulders of the carriage driver. The horse panicked utterly, doing everything in its power to tear the rope tethering it to the tree trunk; the man himself tried to scream, but all that could be heard was the roar of flame. Every one of the bandits froze, watching the display of power with wide, terrified eyes... and when at last the magefire ceased all that remained above the shoulders was the unfortunate man's char-blackened skull and scorched earth.

M U S I C A L  S H I F T
The Executioner
from Umineko OST

Silence fell, save for the terrified steed. All stood aghast, save the hedge-wizard who merely folded his arms over his chest and admired his handiwork.

"Constance..."

It was the first time Kasna had addressed Olive in a familiar way since they met; even so, the woman warrior's voice was absolutely steady and calm, showing neither fear, nor anger, nor kindness towards her young charge. One gloved hand still clutched her blade, the mace-flail apparently already having been plucked up from its place next to her bedroll by an interested miscreant. Silver-blue eyes looked over at her and her free hand was placed firmly on Olive's shoulder.

"Stay. Here. I'll deal with this. Don't try to get involved, understood?"