Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

When the Alpha's away the Wolves will play

Started by Aeytrious, July 09, 2013, 10:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeytrious

Canis Rufus, the Red Wolf, didn't have much time to prepare for his journey. Dylanna was already headed out of town to rescue Sam from the kidnappers that had taken him to Cerenis. This invasion by the Mountain Cats had apparently been more distraction than an actual move against the Soot Wolves, but that didn't mean Rufus wouldn't respond with great ferocity. The Soot Wolves would not sit by and quietly let this hostility pass. The Mountain Cats would be crushed. The timing wasn't great however. There was a bit of unrest brewing in the Den and if not for Sam and Dylanna's involvement, he would have delayed this trip for a few days at least. Since he could not wait, he would send word to those he knew could be trusted to side with him in a conflict. Each of the letters he penned were sealed with his magic red wax. They would burn themselves up a few minutes after being opened, so that the evidence of his words would be destroyed.

He gave the letters to the guild fence Heinin to deliver as he rushed off to meet with the Wolves he'd be taking to Cerenis. Heinin was one of the few Wolves Rufus knew he could blindly trust with his life, and he would deliver the letters without delay. After meeting his seven companions, Rufus was off. Out of Arca, and on his way to Cerenis.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Nemo

The Dire Wolf's lair was an old building, made of good stone and ancient wood. Once perhaps it had been a fortified guard house, complete with a cool, dark storeroom underground where Charon di his brewery, a main room he'd divided up into several with different purposes in a very metaphysical sort of way, with a pad in the middle surrounded by odds and ends, mostly a bown of water, a single white candle with a brass cap, an incense burner with a small stock of incense, and a bowl of gravel, but when you looked closer, half of the circle (and the room for that matter) was darkened, and half was in light - and this was deliberate.

In the dark half of this main room there was a coat rack and several hulking shapes under a tarpaulin. In the light, a modest bed that appeared to consist of little more than furs on the floor, because that was what it was. There was a bag or two near the bed, but overall, apart from the smell of a male, yeast, and incense... That was it. This wasn't the home of someone who lived the soft life.

Oh, above, there was a trap door leading up into a second story... But the door was locked, and all the windows in the room were blocked off.

It was on his pad in the middle of the room that Heinin found Charon, bare-chested and deep in meditation. The Dire Wolf did not look up, or even open his eyes, but as the fence tenatively made to shut the door, a deep bass voice sounded from Mt. Charon.

"Come, Heinin."

The fence straightened up a bit, and walked uneasily towards the massive, silvery figure. The light part if him that he could see wasn't worrisome - he was a man of the world, but the dark... The dark was piercing, and worried him somewhat. Charon was loyal - you could say that for him... But he, Heinin, ha made no word he was coming, and he was certain he was quiet comin up tothe abandoned guardhouse in the rough part of Arca that Charon had so recently claimed. So how the hell did he do it?

Wordlessly, careful to stay in the light, he proferred the sealed envelope. After a moment, icy blue eyes opened to stare at him blankly (one glowing in the dark, sheesh!) and he took it, nodding gravely.

"Thank you, Heinin." He said, and that was that. He shut his eyes again. It took the Fence's body a moment to realize his brain had run off squealing into the night before with a s much dignity as he could manage, scurried out and shut the door.

Well now. An official seal. From Heinin...? That wasn't his style, as far as Charon understood anyhow. The man was a fence, not a messenger... But Rufus trusted him. That Charon knew... Trusted him with his life, and that was not an honor nearly anyone else to his knowledge posessed. He himself held great respect for the leader of the soot wolves - it was why he'd become one of them... And so the letter, with the Alpha's seal was of particular interest to his Dire Wolf.

The seal was popped carefully with a talon that flicked from the hand in darkness, and gentle hands freed the letter, which he stared at right up until it immolated. He let it burn his hand, singing him... Then stood, like a mountain unfolding.

"Understood."

Nascent

It had been a simple enough job. Sure, the chest was bound up in chains, guarded by mercenaries, and smack dab in the middle of a rather large trading outpost... but when you're the thief who can slink through the ground itself and bend metal to your will, stupid things like that aren't even a bump in the road. Traveling underground to get into the camp had been simple; sneaking up behind the sell-swords and fusing the plates of their armor together had been child's play, and the chains? Hah. If the chest hadn't been loaded onto a wooden wagon he could've been in and out without ever breaking the surface. Where a common thief would have been forced to rely on guile, subterfuge, and a heavy bribe or a rough fight, Kassom Sercha, the Lone Wolf, found it little more challenging than striding in and taking what he wanted.

As he lifted the lid of the oaken chest, however, the Feral thief was in for something of a surprise. His prize, a flawless cut emerald called 'the Eye of Schala', was not where it was supposed to be...

It was gone. And in its place lay a letter bound by a wax seal. He held it up, recognizing the seal of the Soot Wolves, but gave it a cautious sniff just to be sure. Yeah, it smelled like thievery all right. A faint scowl marred his feline features as he unceremoniously tore it open and read the contents. He'd heard about the business with the Mountain Cats -- his connections to the Wolves were few and far between but the Feral had an ear for news. Lone Wolf or not, he still had ties to them and obligations to meet, after all. He read on. Well well well...

Looks like he was needed. And perhaps when Rufus got back he could explain what happened to the emerald he'd come to collect. 'Too much of a hurry' to track him down, but it was pretty obvious that the top dog in the Wolves had managed to arrange for all this. Sly character... a stunt like this gave him renewed confidence in the group.

And besides, he hadn't met many people in his last visit. This could get interesting...

Tossing the letter aside as it started to burn, he waltzed up behind the two immobilized guards and cheerily patted them on the shoulders as they struggled against their armor. "Well boys, it's been fun but I have to run. Good luck getting out of those suits and all. Ciao!"

And with that, the ground opened up beneath him and Kassom was gone.

Two Days Later...

The Den was basically as he remembered, thieves coming and going through tunnels and passages with their dues and pilferings. That was one thing Kassom had always had a one-up on with the rest of this merry lot; while they had to memorize tunnels and secret passages to come and go the Lone Wolf could pop in virtually any corner of the Den that he liked. Rufus had been smart to contact him -- maybe Kassom wasn't the greatest fighter or most nimble pickpocket in the lot, but he had ways of doing things that were a certain advantage. Even Ilaelis, who'd been almost uncomfortably quiet during the trip back to the thieves' fortress, had made mention that -- with the task assigned them -- there were few other logical choices.

Few, but not none. The Feral had been quietly wondering whom else Rufus might have sent one of those letters to before departing.

The bar was the place he was most familiar with in the Den, so it was there he went first. Saddling up to a bar stool and placing his dues down where Alko could easily count them, he looked the barkeep in the eye with an upturned eyebrow.

"So... I hear things with those Cats have gotten more... personal while I was away." It was a lame attempt at small talk, but just enough so that Alko would probably be wise that Kassom wasn't just here just to drop off dues or get a drink. His voice dropped almost to a whisper. "I'm looking for the Red Jackal; it's Wolf business, important. Seen her around lately?"

kleineklementine

Jonathan Amsel was in his quarters when the Shadow Wolf knocked at the door. The Beta of the Soot Wovles didn't inquire who was knocking, he simply opened the door. He was confident that no one but the Shadow Wolf would be coming at this hour. At least, he was confident that, if they did, he'd have a knife in their back before they could open their mouths to say 'hello.'

But, as it was, he was correct. He usually was.

"Evening, boss," the Shadow Wolf greeted. "Just back from Ketra, of all places. I went down there with the scouting pack... Well, but that's not the point."

"Well, he have to stay knowledgable about our little kid sibling neighbor to the south," the Canis Lupus said casually, pouring the Shadow Wolf a drink. He liked to put people at ease. Amsel listened intently to the story of that new "Shadow Wolf," Torak, and his exploits in the slave market. This was too much. For Amsel's purposes, Torak couldn't have arrived at a better time. And putting him directly under that bitch of a new Red Jackal? Well, Amsel had to hand it to Rufus... It was genius.

For him, that was. Amsel thought, of course, that it was otherwise a farce. But for his purposes, a farce would do just fine.

"But the interesting thing was," the Shadow Wolf continued, "between dropping all those bombs, he also dropped a handful of envelopes. Sealed ones. Official looking. Now, I didn't get a chance to read them, but... Well, we all know he was an assassin. And we Shadow Wolves all know that the Red Jackal told him explicitly that he wasn't to keep being one. Well... what else could they be?"

Amsel raised his eyebrow. "And did you get them? Or are you just going to tease me with guessing?"

"Nah, that Spot got there first. You know the one? Cute thing, long black hair and -" he cut himself off after a look from the Beta. "Well anyway, she mostly does thieving stuff, but she's a Shadow Wolf for Akello, too."

"I know who Spot is," he said to move the Wolf along.

"I guess she was sent to follow Torak. But she got to the letters before I could. I think I would have beat her back to Arca, but she can't be too far behind me.  My guess is she'll go straight to Akello with them. She's got funny loyalties, that one. She ought to come to you, what with Rufus being gone, but..."

Amsel held up a hand. "That's no worry. That's fine. In fact, maybe you can give her something for me, when she gets in? One more letter to deliver to the Red Jackal."

Amsel know Akello's style. She wasn't sympathetic to direct disobedience with her own Bloods, but from Torak, who had killed his way into the Guild. Well, the man's life was in Amsel's hands now, surely. Without intervention, he was fairly sure the perhaps-not-so-former assassin would be dead by morning. So Jonathan walked over to his desk, drawing out paper and a quill. On it he wrote the short order:

Torak too valuable. Discipline him however you wish, but do not kill him. Rufus won't look kindly on discarded tools when he returns.

- Canis Lupus

He folded and sealed the paper and handed it over to the Shadow Wolf to be delivered.

After sending off the Shadow Wolf, Amsel made his way into the Den and into the bar. He wasn't an intimidating looking man. Of average height and lithe build, Jonathan Amsel didn't look the part of a criminal. He had boyish good looks and and a trustworthy face, with sandy blond hair and blue eyes. Amsel was friendly, disarmingly so, and rarely proud. He was known to be something of a 'yes man' to Rufus. He was smart and strong and respected for it, but he was seen as something more of a loyal hound dog than a wolf with his eyes on the alpha spot.

He spotted the Lone Wolf, who m he knew by sight and name, but hadn't met yet, and moved to join him at the bar. "Mind if I join you?" he asked, pulling  a stool up next to Kassom. "Not that often that one actually sets sights on the phantom Lone Wolf," he added with a grin. He ordered a strong ale from Alko, then turned back to Kassom. "Not sure you're going to have much luck setting sights on the lovely Zahi Akello, either," he offered. He made a point to always speak flatteringly of people, if a little tongue in cheek. And, given his position, this wasn't exactly out of line. "I think she's rather got her hands full lately."

Nascent

Kassom eyed up the newcomer who'd interjected himself into the conversation with a mix of curiosity, reserve, and distrust. He didn't look like he belonged here -- too many soft lines on his face, for one thing -- and there was something Kassom just couldn't quite place, too. He might look honest, sure, but deception was something any thief worth their salt ought to be practiced in. Whoever he was, he had good hearing... maybe too good.

His gaze swung back around to Alko, flipping a few coins up onto the bar where they spun and twirled like dancers before settling onto their faces. "Double hit of my usual, light on the ice if you please." Something told him he was going to need the ginger bite of the Arcan brandy before long. He paused a good long moment before, at length, turning his head to address Amsel.

"Sorry, don't think we've met, and I don't tend to know all that many people around here. Who are you exactly?"

Whoever he was, he knew something about Zahi and seemed to have an interest as well. Given the contents of the letter Kassom wasn't sure that was good, and he could hear Ilaelis whispering words of caution into the back of his mind as well. "And why would I have trouble finding her? Seems the Wolves are always able to find their own, after all."

kleineklementine

"Well, fair enough," the Grey Wolf laughed as he took his beer from Alko, "I suppose I'm not as easy to pick out of a crowd just by description as you are. But I was away on a job when you were here last. When Rufus made you the Black Wolf, I mean," he added. His tone was amicable, but not excessively so. "I'm Canis Lupus," he stated, offering the Feral the hand that wasn't holding his beer. "But just call me Jack. There's no need for you, after all, to use my 'title.' I don't much care for all the formality, anyway, if I'm honest."

Jonathan Amsel took a long, slow drink of his beer, keeping his eyes on Kassom, as the Black Wolf replied cautiously about Zahi. "Ah well, I just mean it might be a bit of a wait, then," he said, clearly backing off the topic. His pause was just long enough to suggest that might not be all he meant, as if considering whether or not to say more to the Black Wolf, before he concluded, "It's a busy job. She doesn't get the nice breaks between tasks the thieves get."

"But, of course,"  he set down his beer and gave a friendly grin, "with the Red Wolf gone, if there's anything you need, I'm you're man."

Nascent

So this was the Gray Wolf, then. That fact alone put Kassom on edge. If someone who didn't look like he could make it in the world of criminal thievery could ascend to that rank in an organization like this, then he definitely was more than he appeared to be. He'd expected the Beta to be someone strong and sly, with a reputation a mile long and the signs of a thief's life clear on their face -- this was far from the kind of person he'd imagined for Rufus' right hand man.

Something wasn't right about all this; his gut told him to be wary of trouble and careful of what he said.

The brandy arrived and Kassom took a swig of the first shot before responding. "So you're the one in charge whenever Rufus is gone, hm? I guess you are the man to go to, then." The Feral thief was no stranger to soft words and mild flattery either; he could lay it on pretty thick if need be, and the way 'Jack' talked Kassom guessed he had an ego to match his position. "Well, I do need to find her -- it's urgent, and a private matter." 'Private' being a good stand-in word for 'secret' in this case. "I'd ask for your help, but I'll bet your job is pretty busy right now too."

He was playing at a dangerous game, if his suspicions were right. The letter from Rufus had been quite clear: find Zahi, aid her and keep her safe. The Grey Wolf's moment of hesitation spoke volumes -- he knew more than he was letting on. For the moment, Kassom had to keep him just close enough to use him and at just enough distance to avoid getting used himself. If he was wrong about  Jack then fine, over-caution seldom hurt anyone, but if he was right...

"You wouldn't have heard anything that could get me started though, would you?"

... then things were about to start getting interesting.

Aeytrious

Kuisheid Wellust, The White Wolf, walked into the Den bar with her usual sexy stride. Wag saw her coming and stepped aside to let her enter without any trouble. He knew she was trouble, but that didn't mean he didn't appreciate the view as she walked by. Dressed in skin tight black leathers that hugged her hips and ass, and had a very low neck that gave clear view of her cleavage, she always drew the eyes of everyone. She wore her Canis Albus badge, standing out so bright white against her black clothing, as a broach to draw your eyes to her breasts. She used her sex appeal, coupled with her cutthroat methods to gain the power she possessed, but she wanted more.

She walked with purpose to the bar. Sliding her hand up Jack's back and over his shoulder to his chest, she pressed her breasts into his back and propped her chin on his shoulder. "Watcha drinkin'," she asked as she ran the tip of her finger around the rim of his glass, and threw a sultry smile Kassom's way. She dipped a finger in the beer and then placed it in her mouth. The over sexualization of the action would have been too much if it weren't for how perfectly plump her lips were. Kui was the perfect embodiment of the words sensual and sexy. Even the crinkled face she made at the taste of Jack's beer was attractive. How she managed that was anybodies guess. "Alko, something green, ice cold, and very sweet please. Thanks dear."

Great, it was that harpy bitch Kui. Everyone thought she was the sweetest honey worth tasting, even as gay as he was, Alko had to admit that those lips looked like they'd be nice to kiss. Asking for something by description instead of by name, she was always difficult, but he was a master of his crafts. There were two things that nobody could do better than him, decipher any language, and create the perfect drink. He pulled out a frosted, tall slender glass and filled it to the brim with ice. He brought out a deep pink liquid and a dark blue one next. Pouring them in simultaneously, they swirled together and became a bright gold colored liquid that began to bubble slightly. Next he sprinkled in what looked like rough cut salt. As the crystals dissolved the drink became a smokey red, and as the smoke slowly cleared the liquid in the glass settled on a soft green color. While everyone's eyes were on the drink, Alko took a moment to scribble a message on a special type of paper. He passed his hand over Kassom's drink and dropped the small piece of paper in the brandy. The paper would dissolve in alcohol leaving Kassom just enough time to read the one word message. It was from an ancient and extinct demon language. Kassom wouldn't understand it, but surely Ilaelis would.

BEWARE!
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

kleineklementine

Jack didn't try to keep the look of amused surprise off his face, withdrawing the ignored hand he'd offered to Kassom. The Lone Wolf's business with Zahi was "private." A private life, he was fairly sure, was at least one thing that the Red Jackal didn't have. But he enjoyed the suggestion that the business between them was "private," and inwardly wondered if Kassom had ever actually met the woman.

But then, if the Lone Wolf aligned himself with her and this unrest in the Blood Wolves blew up... Well, that wasn't his problem.

"Ah, I see," he replied with a sort of knowing diplomacy, the look of amusement not gone from his face. "Well, congratulations." The Gray Wolf had seen more than one man get laid out for making an advance on the Red Jackal - well, when she was just a Blood Wolf, he doubted any tried now - and while he thought the Feral was lying, the idea tickled him.

"But drop all this tense formality. We're more or less equals here, seniority aside. If you need help with something, it's my job to help you." He took a drink from his beer. "Especially with the Red Wolf away."

Jack didn't want to let this one go just yet.

But here came trouble, all wrapped up in leather. Jack waited patiently through Kui's sexualized routine - he couldn't really pretend he didn't enjoy it, but he liked to look as though he was unmoved - before properly acknowledging her. Or at least introducing her. "And since your visits are so few and far between," he said to Kassom, "I'm guessing you haven't met our matriarch?" He deliberately used the word that was associated with age to vex Kui.

Nascent

'What the...?' Kassom wondered as he noticed the quick-dissolving message in an unfamiliar language. In mere seconds it was gone... but somehow he felt like he --

A warning.

Ilaelis' voice echoed in his mind clear as day; sometimes the demon of metal spoke in wordless impressions or ideas but not this time. There was more than just the two words, however -- he could feel his 'partner' directing cold distrust at the sensual woman, at Jack... and, mixed with surprise and curiosity, at Alko as well. It was enough for Kassom to roughly piece together what had just occurred, though it left him even more confused than previously. Clearly the bartender knew a few fancy tricks... including languages that most people didn't, it seemed -- and, what's more, the existence of Kassom's 'live-in' business partner, a fact that the Feral had gone to some lengths to keep to himself. He could feel his thoughts going in more or less the same direction as Ilaelis'; who was this "mere barkeep" really... and what else did he know?

It was a mystery for later, though. The message had been clear -- Jack and the Matriarch weren't to be trusted. Fortunately, distrusting people was something that came naturally for the Feral thief.

"No, don't believe I've made her acquaintance either." He slung back his second shot before offering the over-sexualized woman his hand. She was an easy book to read, he was guessing -- all cover, few pages. Women in this profession, after all, tended either to keep their sexuality under lock and key in the name of professionalism... or else flaunt it as a distraction and, at times, a weapon.

"Thanks for the offer; sorry if I'm a bit standoffish. You know how all that time out in the field makes people self-reliant and all." His mind was spinning, searching for an angle, an opportunity, something he could use to... ah!

"Actually..." He leaned into wards Jack just slightly. "Perhaps you can help. Didn't really want to mention it to anyone because, heck, you know how it gets if people catch wind of a big score in the works, but I guess I can trust the two highest ranking Wolves in the Den not to squeeze in on my action, right. Anyway, here's the thing..."

"Been trailing this sweet gemstone, a flawless emerald called the 'Eye of Schala'. Apparently some nobleman in Whitesands bought it from a merchant in Jadenshine for a pretty price and was having it shipped back to his estate." That much was true, and a bit of checking around would confirm Kassom's story for anyone who wanted to know. What followed, however, was basically fiction. "Looks like the noble took the precaution of having decoy wagons with chained-up chests sent to throw off people like us; thought I had the stone a few days back only to find an empty chest instead. Zahi's the one who gave me the tip about the emerald originally so I was hoping she might know more. My best chance to nab it for the Wolves is before it reaches Whitesands -- darned thing could sail off as tribute or a gift for all I know once it arrives. You know how preoccupied nobles are with buying prestige; the Eye could end up as a ring on the finger of the Queen for crying out loud."

"I really, really need to talk to Zahi on this one. Before my chance is completely gone."

zozee9

"Zahi's busy," Zeina said, standing directly behind the Lone Wolf. She had entered the bar soon after the matriarch, therefore passing by at least mostly unnoticed. After speaking her two words, she grabbed herself a seat on the other side of Jack so that the White Wolf would have to sit by either her or the Kassom if she wanted to sit. Zeina had reasons for not being a huge fan of Kui, and she couldn't get in trouble for taking a seat. Though she wouldn't be surprised if Kui sat herself on Jack's lap instead.

Zeina dropped a few coins onto the bar, throwing a quick smile at Alko. He knew just to give her whatever he felt like as long as it didn't contain too much alcohol. Then turning towards Kassom and leaning against the bar, she added, "Welcome back." She also threw a small nod to the Grey Wolf, since he was formally in power at the time. She didn't acknowledge the White Wolf at all, but that wouldn't be any sign of her dislike. Anybody who had met her more than once knew not to expect a greeting unless there was a very good reason for one.

Zeina had been trying to get ahold of Zahi for a couple of days without success. After reading the message that Heinin silently handed her, she knew she had to have a good conversation with the Red Jackal. But for one reason or another, Zahi's schedule seemed full. Zeina was even starting to doubt the Head Blood Wolf's loyalty, though she didn't seriously believe that Zahi would make a move... at least not yet.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

kleineklementine

You are a liar.

This was the first thing that the Grey Wolf thought when he listened to Kassom's story. Well, he might as well let him know he thought so. Jonathan Amsel didn't really care what happened to the Black Wolf, and if he was perceived to be aligned with the "traitor" Zahi Akello... Well,it wasn't Jack's fault if Kassom's read the cards wrong.

He nodded to the Coyote when she joined them. There was one he couldn't read yet. But maybe better to have her here now...  He turned back to Kassom.

"Really?" he asked. His tone was light, but he raised his eyebrows. "That's strange I thought Zahi had given up working as a thief..." He made a face that suggested he was searching far back in his memory. "Well, before I got here, anyway. Odd that she would know anything about it now. But I suppose she picks things up here and there in her line of work."

Whatever Jack said, the message to Kassom was clear: I know you're lying.

"But if you need information, the Gold Jackal could probably help you more. We have, of course, Wolves watching the routes throughout Serendipity."

Spot bobbed a silly curtsy and gave Wag a wink as she entered the Den bar. Theatrics aside, she needed a drink. And how. The Shadow Wolf was worried about her delivery of the Dire Wolf to the Red Jackal. She didn't know what it meant, and if there was anything Spot detested, it was only having half the story. Especially in this case. So now there was a gnawing in her stomach, and she needed something to stifle it.

Oh, hello, though. That was quite the little council of Important People. And one of them was the very, very last person Spot wanted to see. She almost turned around and walked straight out of the bar, but she caught a snippet of their conversation. Well, maybe she would stay after all. But she still made a b-line away from them, sitting at the farthest point at the bar where she could still hear them. Glancing quickly over, she took them in again. The Coyote, the White and Grey Wolf, and who she knew to be the Black Wolf, though this was the first time she'd seen him. She was pretty sure they wouldn't know that, in addition to her thieving, she also worked for Zahi. Oh, she knew, obviously, and Spot hate hate hated her for it. But the rest shouldn't. Well, maybe Amsel. After all, that note from him had ended up in her hands...

She grimaced hearing them all talk suspiciously about the Red Jackal's "busy schedule." Spot knew, and at least one of them knew, that Zahi had made no time for the Coyote because she'd received no word that any was requested.

"Hey Alko," Spot called cheerfully to the bartender, swallowing the miserable feeling inside of her, "something strong for your cutest customer?" She flashed him a pretty smile and fluttered her eyelashes at him. Spot was pretty - though she didn't have the raw sex appeal of the White Wolf - but she did these things rather tongue-in-cheek. She liked making people laugh, and this sort of joking was what she tended to fall back on when she didn't want to deal with what was actually on her mind.

Aeytrious

Cute indeed. Alko was fond of this one. She was just the right amount of silly. Things sure could get tense and serious around here. That boy Vex could use a girl like Spot to lighten his mood, maybe he could play match maker. They would be adorable as a couple. There weren't many Wolf pairings. Not even the two she wolves at the bar did much pairing, though the White Wolf sure did suggest she did, it was plain to him that she was an ice queen, as chaste as a glacier.

He poured some strong cold coffee over a bit of ice in a delmonico, added two shots of his best scotch, poured in a touch of sweet cream, and topped the drink with a few chocolate shavings. Strong coffee, strong liquor, rich cream and plenty sweet. He was sure Spot would enjoy his use of many strong ingredients. He walked it over to her and placed it on one of his wooden coasters. "Enjoy doll."

Kui watched Alko serve that little bitch with barely veiled disgust. Why did Alko like that little wench. She was nobody. Kui was The White Wolf. He always made her great drinks, but he was never sweet to her like he was to Spot. Someday she'd have all the power, and then she'd kill that little bitch, and the Coyote too, with her beautiful hair and eyes. Bitches both of them, how could they try to be attractive when Kui had the patent on sexy.

She slithered around Jack and languidly reclined in his lap rubbing her ass into his crotch. Which barely elicited any response from his loins. Perhaps it was the fact that she'd never let him bed her, and he was becoming immune to her charms. Maybe it was time to change that. Can't have him bored with her, it was time to take control. That thought was for later. After Alko's return to the bar she tapped her already empty glass. "Be a dear and make me another one Alko. It was just too delicious not to have another."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

TheHighwayman

Vex Idrian, Omega Wolf and illusionist, didn't walk into the Den so much as he skipped- though he'd probably have cussed out anyone who said as much. He was currently 'dressed' in a long, bright blue coat with a green vest and trousers. On his head was a blue cap with a green feather in it, and on his waist... now that was the most interesting thing. On his waist hung an incredibly decorated knife, with a golden, jeweled hilt and engravings all along the blade- either it was one of his tricks, or Vex had somehow gotten his hands on something worth more than his life.

The soft thunk that followed as he set the blade down on a table answered that question; Vex could make images, but not sounds. With a broad grin, the Omega turned to everyone present. Taking the knife back in hand, he gave it a twirl and held it up above his head. "Have a look at what I swiped! Overheard a noble ordering it the other day, paid in advance too. Child's play to trick the guy into handing it over to me instead. The maker'll think the noble's lost it when he comes back, and the noble'll blame the maker. No trouble, no mess, profit. That's how it's done!"

As he took a moment away from his gloating and actually noticed the company present... his face fell a little. Darn it, if he was going to celebrate his triumph, he'd rather it be with some of the wolves he actually knew. He'd never spoken with most of these people, though he'd heard of them- he always made it a point to keep an ear to the ground, especially concerning the other Soot Wolves, and especially since he'd got that letter from the boss. Still, he'd practically made himself a rich man today, might as well celebrate a little anyway. "Feeling in the mood for something fancy, Al'."

Aeytrious

What an unexpected and pleasant surprise. Vex, and he was in such a happy mood. The barman finished serving Kui her second drink and reached for a frosted lowball glass. With all the business today, it was a good thing Theo - er... Rufus - had arranged for a magic dishwasher and a magic frosting cabinet to be installed for Alko. He placed a perfect sphere of ice in the glass instead of the usual lumps. Over it he poured a butterscotch liqueur, and a sweet cream liqueur. He added just enough tonic water for the bubbles and topped the drink with a whipped vanilla cream. This he garnished with a candied cherry and a dusting of a crushed butterscotch hard candy. Alko didn't take the drink to Vex but instead took it to the table that Spot was sitting at. He beckoned the boy to come sit there instead.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

zozee9

Zeina could see (literally) the disgust in Kui as Alko served Spot. Her aura was covered in mud brown—a perfect color for that sleazy girl. The brown color stayed even as she did as Zeina had expected by burrowing herself in the Jack's lap, meaning she wasn't satisfied with the result. But that brown started to turn a little red, and it was obvious she was planning something. Whatever it was, it didn't involve Zeina.

Alko's aura was a pleasant sky blue, as always. Either nothing really went wrong in his life, or he was very good at maintaining calm, inside and out. Whatever the case may be, Zeina liked him. He was one of the wolves she knew was more genuinely compassionate.

Zeina watched as Vex loudly joined the den. He looked as if he just won the world. What he had obtained, however, probably did feel like the world to him. When Alko set Vex's drink by Spot, Zeina actually laughed (for the first time in a long time). She loved it when Alko tried to get people together. Some of the pairings were odd, but Spot and Vex seemed as if they could go together quite well. Cheerfully looking back to Alko, Zeina said, "I'll buy his drink. Spot's too, if she has any more. I'll buy as many as either one would like, as long as they keep sitting by each other." Then she winked to Alko. "Also, I would love it if you'd make me my drink." She lowered her gaze to her untouched coins, assuming he didn't realize she had put them there.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Nascent

(OOC: I'd be very curious to find out how Zenia's ability to see emotion-auras would play out with Kassom and Ilaelis, given the whole two-minds-one-body thing means they could easily be feeling totally different things at times. Maybe something we can play out later in the thread? ^_^ )

And so the game was on.

'He knows you're lying.' Ilaelis spoke into Kassom's thoughts. The demon could see, hear, touch, taste, and even smell (if he wanted) everything Kassom experienced, and as seasoned as Kassom was his 'boss' had a few centuries on him in the ways of cunning and guile. Still, Kassom was playing it smooth -- his demeanor was completely unfazed by Jack's back-handed offer.

'Relax, I've got an angle here. I just have to play it out.' Kassom reassured his blood-bound co-inhabitant, "speaking" with his thoughts much the way Ilaelis did. Even if the two shared the same body Ilaelis didn't necessarily know everything Kassom was thinking -- he could easily pick up the surface level, enough to know Kassom did indeed have a plan, but had wrongly assumed it had merely been to bluff the Grey Wolf into helping him find Zahi. But Kassom's confidence remained in spite of the called bluff. He explained. 'I just tried to lie to someone who's supposed to be the second-best thief -- officially, anyways -- in Arca. I didn't expect it to work.'

'But he's given away more than he thinks.' He wasn't outwardly, but inside Kassom was grinning slyly.

He shrugged at Jack's comments about the routes. "Lone Wolf, remember? I'm a bit too used to doing things on my own. But since I'm pressed for time, yeah, I guess I could rely on the pack this once." He gave no hint in his tone that he knew his deception was exposed -- one does not switch tactics halfway through a gambit, after all, without risking the whole thing falling apart. He had to let what was coming come, and be ready for it when it did. He silently whispered his plan to the demon in his mind, who voicelessly expressed his approval.

The bar was busy tonight it seemed, with newcomers flowing in like water. No faces he recognized, though that was no surprise. Part of him was curious who else may have been contacted by Rufus concerning his... interests... during this absence, but he put such thoughts aside. As he'd just reminded the Beta, Kassom was a lone wolf. He knew that. Rufus knew that. And any potential enemies would know it too. Reaching out for allies wouldn't be smart, no matter how trustworthy they were. For now, he was on his own.

He didn't miss the personal attentions Alko gave to the cutesy-looking girl sitting on the far side of the room, nor could he miss the colorfully-dressed thief with the ornate dagger. His grin turned into a smirk and he whispered to Jack "Think he's compensating for something?", nodding at Vex subtly while doing so. Just because he didn't trust the Grey Wolf -- or the devious vixen warming his loins -- didn't mean he couldn't have a laugh with them. For the moment at least, all were comrades.

For the moment.

Alko taking the dagger-bearer's drink over to the silly girl's table didn't skip his notice either -- and he was sure the Grey and White Wolves would notice too. Clearly the Feral wasn't the only one receiving private messages from the barkeep tonight. He already had his suspicions... but those were another card best played close to his chest.

"So," He spoke up, trying to divert attention before Jack noticed what Kassom had about Alko. "How does one arrange an audience with the illustrious Gold Jackal? I'm sure there's some sort of protocol to meet with the shadow amongst shadows -- and I've never really been good with those, protocols I mean. What do I need to know?"

kleineklementine

Spot wanted to scream. Or run away. Or break a bar stool over that wretched woman's head. She focused her violet eyes firmly on the nicely glittering bottles behind Alko's bar, forcing herself to ignore the White Wolf's baleful glare, focusing on keeping tears from welling up in her eyes. Hadn't Kui already done enough? She couldn't just let Spot be for a few hours?

But getting the drink perked her up a bit, or at least distracted her. "Oh, thanks, doll," she replied in her best manly-bar-tender voice. "I'm sure I will." And she did. This was exactly what she needed.

Even in her awful mood, though, Spot had to laugh as Vex sauntered into the bar. After her, he made the second young Wolf to enter the bar and balk at the sight of the Four Big Bad Important Wolves. (Well, three... And one coyote?) She wondered how many more would fall into the same trap. It was a bit like watching a kit fly off into the sky then come suddenly plunging down. A pretty funny kite, though. And he made it back up a bit at the end. Plus, look at him in that get up!

She was still chuckling when Alko came and put his drink right next to her. She shot the bartender a you-can't-fool-me look and crinkled her nose at him. Still, Spot liked Vex and it might be easier sitting with someone instead of alone. So when Alko went back behind the bar, Spot jumped to her feet and threw Vex a smart salute.

"Sir, Omega, sir!" she greeted military-style. Loud enough for Vex, but not loud enough to be performing for the whole bar. "Requesting permission to share a drink with you, sir!"

Aeytrious

"Hear that? He wants to talk to Gaze," Kui rolled her eyes and let out a little laugh, "Good luck with that. He doesn't talk to anyone," she smiled a knowing grin, "I'm sure his cripple will talk to you though. Vent does all the talking. Don't know why Gaze keeps him around. He's not even good for running errands," she sipped at her new drink some, then looked over at Spot again.

Oh how she wanted to choke the life out of that one. Watch as the last signs of her soul drained from her eyes into death. But Jack felt she was useful. If Spot hadn't been snooping around like a dog, she probably wouldn't have noticed the little bitch. Listening in on a meeting she wasn't supposed to know about. Kui wanted to just slit her throat. Only Jack's silent command had stayed her hand. Even their dark ally was confused with sparing the little Shadow Wolf. Jack explained that her loyalty to Zahi would come in handy. They could get information from Spot, and feed false information back to the Red Jackal. Spot knew that Kui was up to something, and that put Kui in danger, but Spot apparently didn't see it that way. Perhaps she thought she could save her precious Zahi, or perhaps the little dog was just stupid. Jack had remained in the shadows, unseen, and their dark ally wore a different face each time they came to visit, so the plan was not greatly threatened. Kui was expendable. She knew that. She planned on changing that.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

TheHighwayman

Vex wasn't an idiot- at least, not in most ways; he saw what Alko was doing. Or at least he had a pretty good idea. Still, he wasn't exactly going to complain. "I don't know..." he said in a horribly exaggerated voice. "I wouldn't want to lose my talent 'cause it rubbed off on you..." Flashing a grin, he stepped forward and took a seat with a flourishing tip of the hat. "Ah, I've got plenty to spare. Permission granted."

Setting the knife down on the table and taking a sip, his smile faded for a moment. Maybe it was instinct, maybe it was a little bit of extra caution with the boss gone, maybe it was paranoia for all he knew, but something fired off all the warning signs in his brain. Something was up here- and not just friendly mischief. Best to keep his wits about him today...

An instant later his grin was back, if not quite as strong as before. He could listen and have a good time after all. That was how he'd stayed alive despite his habits before joining the wolves, and that's what made him valuable to them now. He gave the bartender a short nod. "Much appreciated, Al'. So, how's life in the Shadows, Spot?"