Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

When the Alpha's away the Wolves will play

Started by Aeytrious, July 09, 2013, 10:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayman

Vex waited a moment to make sure the situation with Torak was under control- though he wasn't sure exactly what he'd do if it weren't- and then faced a slight dilemma. He'd seen Spot's look, and he knew something was up... so did he stay and listen in or follow her? Either way he could miss something important. Then he realized he was an idiot- Spot almost certainly had something to say, while there was only a slim chance of catching anything here that he wouldn't learn later anyway.

Still invisible, the Omega quickly followed after the girl. He'd not caught all of it, but he could certainly tell there was some tension between Spot and Kui. Over what though? Had the girl uncovered something? Or was it a simple feud? Vex growled and scratched his head. He'd need to start keeping a closer eye on things; there was too great a chance that he'd missed something to draw any real conclusions.

When he did catch up to Spot, he'd draw level with her and say, "Coward, huh? Careful, you might just hurt my feelings." This would be followed by a dropping of his invisibility... which would leave him back in his normal clothes and clearly a little short of breath. He'd not had a lot of practice with that particular trick, and it was still taxing to keep it up for any length of time.

kleineklementine

"Sorry, Vex, I'm 'on duty,'" Spot said glumly, turning to where she guessed the voice was coming from. Oh, Kui would skin her alive if she knew how sloppy Spot was being. She shouldn't be saying anything at all to Vex, much less letting him know that she's on a job that pretty clearly had nothing to do with being a thief. But Kui would definitely kill her, and who knew who else, if she let Zahi make it to the Den Bar. Spot remembered the figure she'd seen Kui conspiring with. He'd looked like a Wolf she knew. But he wasn't. That Wolf was dead. Spot's insides went cold at the memory.

"But, hey..." Spot was searching; maybe she couldn't talk to Vex now, but... "Hey," she said again, brightly now with a pretty smile, and took a step towards the now-materialized Omega Wolf, "why don't we go out sometime, Sir-Omega-Sir? I promise I'll be more careful with those delicate feelings of yours," she added, flashing a grin. She actually thought that Vex had a bit of a dubious reputation when it came to women, but she wasn't bothered about that just now.

(OOC: Hope that 'reputation' comment is okay. Just going off of Vex's profile.)

Aeytrious

Wag figured it was best not to let things get too out of control. The letter Rufus had sent him through Heinin said the first priority was to watch Zahi's back, and second was to not let the havoc he intended Torak for, to get out beyond management. He needed things stirred up to flush out all the traitors and Torak would unwittingly do that, but Rufus had intended to be present when it happened. This business in Cerenis was poor timing. If the fool Shadow Wolf was dead, he wouldn't be a very useful tool to The Red Wolf. It was with this in mind, when he decided to knock Torak unconscious. As the Bloods held him Wag pulled off his helmet and struck him at the base of the skull with his padded cudgel.

"Perhaps putting him in the magic containment cell the Bloods have until you decide what to do with him would be a good idea." Now that the chaos was controlled, Wag returned to his stool near the bar's south entrance.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

zozee9

Zeina didn't move a muscle as the whole situation unfolded before her. She had spoken what she wanted to, and was content with watching. The fool that she had defended made an even bigger fool out of himself and she started to regret wasting her words on him. There was no way he would get away with his actions, which was proved seconds later.

Even with all the action going on before her, Zeina didn't miss Lapis coming in barely clothed. Nor did she miss the fact that Lapis had come out of Bujari's room. With an inward sigh, she realized she would have to talk to that man again. It wouldn't be pleasant to be alone in the same room with him... but it would be necessary.

Zeina observed Vex's disappearance with his knife and the sudden leave of Spot, but didn't think too much into it. There was no reason to.

Her eyes returned to the fight, unamused. It didn't last long and, of course, ended with the fool's defeat. She was hoping he would be smarter than he was. It was dumb enough to do what he did the the Grey Wolf, but it was even more ridiculous for him to have put up a fight against all the Blood Wolves. The only outcomes of that were his death or his banishment from the pack. Or so she thought.

But Wag had decided to keep him in the magic containment cell. It was a good punishment, but not one she was expecting. Perhaps Wag saw that there was more to Torak than his stupidity as well.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

kleineklementine

Jack winced watching the short outburst of violence between the madman Torak and the Blood Wolves. He had never been much for fighting; the Beta was more of a diplomat. Plus, you don't keep a boyishly charming face by fighting all the time.

But he didn't miss Kui sending off Spot. Probably for the best. This use of Spot to run interference would only be good for so long. Zahi was something of an unforeseen complication. The previous Red Jackal had already made a deal with the Beta, but the idiot had to go and get himself killed. Well, he thought to himself, they'd just have to make sure it was only a matter of time before the position was open again.

Stepping forward, Jack pulled a face at the unconscious mess of Torak, his distaste obvious. "Well, lucky you under Rufus's protection," he muttered to the unconscious man. He shook his head before looking up at the Blood Wolves. "Well, Wag's the master of dealing with bar fights. Go ahead and move him to the magic containment cell. Keep a guard on him. Armed." To the Blood that Torak had clocked he added, "Go see Chora about that black eye you're getting. Then take her down to do something about that bolt," he nodded to Torak's leg.

The Grey Wolf watched the Bloods follow through with his orders before returning to the bar. "Well, I for one will be glad when the boss is back," he said aloud to no one in particular while drawing coin to pay his tab at the bar. "Let him deal with all the mad assassins. I'll go back to my cushy job cutting deals with guards and merchants."

"Enough excitement for me for one night." He nodded to Kui and Zeina, then added to Kassom, "Good luck with your gem. I hope you can get some useful information during your stay here." And with that he left the bar, back to his quarters, where he could think over the situation without the interruption of teleporting madmen.

TheHighwayman

"Sure. Why not? I guess I'll leave you to your 'duty' now. Meet me later then?" Vex grinned and started back off without waiting for much of a response- she'd know how to find him. Besides, things were getting out of hand, and he had some snooping to do in the meantime. Before he turned the corner though, he stopped and turned back.

"You know Spot, if you ever get into any hot water, I'm here to help." The Omega's tone was more serious than it had been before- the only real indication that he suspected something was up. Only for a moment though, as his showy grin was back as soon as the words had left his mouth. "Seeing as I like you, I might even give you a discount!"

Now, who could he talk to and get a few answers? Charon maybe, or perhaps Zahi. Before he went looking for either of them though, he figured he might as well do a bit more snooping on his own, talk to a few Wolves who owed him a favor or two.

((OOC: Think Vex'll probably be out of this thread for a little bit after this, so nobody wait on me. I'll keep an eye on things, come back if circumstances would demand it))

Aeytrious

Kui loved a good blood sport, but this didn't last long, and didn't seem much of a challenge. You'd think an experienced assassin that took out so many Shadows would have been a bit beeter in a fight. Perhaps he had not really been trying. If he wanted to kill these Bloods, she suspected he could have. Kossom was another story entirely. She heard he could move through walls, that would have been interesting to see. Too bad.

Well sending spot to slow Zahi had probably been a waste of time. This was over fast, and Zahi would hear about it from her Bloods in no time. Jack surprisingly agreed with Wags decision to toss Torak in a cell and then made a show of looking forward to Rufus returning. She threw a sour look at Zeina as Jack left and she soon followed, without a word to anyone. She was ahead in the ledgers, there was no need to pay today. It was time to enter The Beta's room for more than just chatter. Perhaps she could entice him to find her worth keeping around by finally giving him her body. She was an expert in performing the carnal acts. She wouldn't give him her best tricks, she needed to give in slowly, always top herself. At least until she had cemented her place in his bed and perhaps at his side. Living through this would be worth the effort.

Alko watched as the Torak was taken and then both Jack and Kui left. Hopefully things would not get too out of control before Rufus returned. He had a feeling however that they wouldn't be that lucky. As the saying went, when it rains, it pours. And it was time he poured a few more drinks. He needed Wolves with pliable lips to let slip information about the unrest.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

zozee9

Zeina watched as Jack and Kui left the bar, returning Jack's nod and remaining indifferent to Kui's look. She wasn't going to let that slutty color aura girl get the enjoyment of seeing her annoyed. After they left, Zeina moved to sit directly next to Kassom.

"So," Zeina started, looking at the lone wolf. "Now that the distraction is gone, shall we continue our conversation?"

Then, in a slightly louder voice, she added, "A drink, Alko?" She couldn't blame him for not getting one with the fight that was going on, but she had been waiting for quite a while and was getting quite thirsty.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Brisinger987

Torak's mind drifted through the dark space of unawareness, knowing he was either dead, or on a waiting list to be dead. He was going in some magic proof cell again. Dammit.

He thought briefly, then made a note to get the armour enchanted to come back to him if taken. He could always use the armour in certain situations, so the ability to instantly recall it would be good. He could simply steal it again and get it enchanted. It was his and his alone.

((OOC: I know it is a short post but an unconscious man can't do much, lol))

Nascent

(OOC: Sorry about the long delay -- I'm back in the mix now.)

Things were indeed getting... interesting.

When Torak grabbed his throat menacingly it was all Kassom could do to let out a chuckle past the grip around his vocal cords. Assassin -- he'd expected as much. And like most people who killed for a living Torak wasn't afraid to give a demonstration... and an impromptu lecture on strength and fear. The guy had guys, Kassom had to give him that... but, as expected, he lacked subtlety.

He never even noticed that while he had the Feral thief in a death grip, Kassom had slipped a lone coin out of his sleeve and pretended to drop it. It hit the ground with an uncharacteristic soundlessness, transforming into a copper-hued puddle that then slithered snake-like under Torak's shoe. Assassins: good for fighting, killing and proving their bravado... not so great at the less obvious stuff. When Jack had the other Wolves forcefully separate the two Kassom couldn't resist a smirk; everyone else would think he just enjoyed messing with Torak, but the sly grin had another source entirely.

Torak had no idea he'd just been spared from a great deal of potential trouble.

THrough it certainly wouldn't seem like it when -- after an odd interrupt involving a woman wearing only a bed sheet -- Torak continued to push his luck and duke it out with the Wolves who'd been restraining him. If this guy ended up dead he was no good to anyone, and that alone was enough to change Kassom's disposition. When he was dragged off to a holding cell, though, Kassom's expression lightened some. Even if the cell they were putting him in stopped him from using those fancy armor enchantments it would only work against magic... and the Lone wolf had powers of an entirely different sort. Maybe this would pan out after all.

Rubbing his neck -- partly because it hurt, and partly for dramatic effect -- he waved and gave a hoarse "Yeah, thanks." to Jack as he left. To everyone in the bar he'd seem like a loudmouth who'd banked too much on authority and almost gotten killed for it, a weakling who'd been unable to defend himself against the rogue assassin. Misinformation was a handy thing indeed.

"Yeah, why not?" Kassom replied to Zeina, then put a few coins on the table. "Same here Alko. I could use a good drink after that."

One of the coins towards the edge of the pile rolled as the Feral put it down. That in-and-of-itself wasn't all that interesting, especially considering the haphazard manner with which he put the money on the bar. Nor, really, was the fact that the coin happened to roll right over to Zeina, practically right into her lap. What was distinct, however, was what the Coyote would find written on the coin when it got to her.

Rufus called me.

Kassom watched her expression but said nothing -- his own gaze careful. Depending on whether she saw the message and how she reacted he'd know, or at least have some idea, whether she was friend or foe in this whole convoluted mess. It wasn't the first time he'd gambled on someone that day... nor would it be the last.

---------------------------------------------

When Torak woke up in his cage, some things were almost a given. For one, someone would've taken the crossbow bolt out and quickly patched him up -- imprisoning him for the Grey Wolf's later judgement was a meaningless effort if he bled out all over the floor. The armor would be gone, taken from him again and stowed who-knows-where. And if the phrase 'magic containment cell' was any indication then Torak was now in the one place no one expected any kind of trouble. And why should they? The Soot Wolves weren't novices; any cage they used wouldn't be something a thief could just lock pick his way out of, and one designed to hold mages was guaranteed to have some potent anti-spellcasting enchantment on it. It probably wasn't even heavily guarded -- it'd be a waste to have thieves watching an inescapable cage. In some senses it was the most secure place in the entire Den.

In others, not so much.

On the cage floor next to him, Torak would find a small copper coin -- the very one Kassom had secreted onto his person during their altercation. When the assassin took the time to examine the unlikely object he'd find some very fine writing on both sides of it: a message for him.

Zahi may be in danger. Rufus wants her safe.

Be patient. Nice choke hold. ~Kassom

zozee9

(OOC: s'all good!)

Zeina inwardly smiled as she saw the coin roll towards her out of the corner of her eye. Kassom had always had a thing for coin messages, or so she had heard, and she wouldn't be surprised if he had managed to sneak coins to other people in the bar already. She wondered if maybe she should have been paying more attention to that beforehand... but even then, there were no promises that she would have seen it. She knew he was sneaky. Even his aura was always filled with orange cautiousness. That was part of the reason he had never been told about her special ability. If he knew about her aura seeing skill, she was willing to bet that he would fold his emotions up and lock them in a box whenever she was nearby.

Zeina yawned, covering her mouth with her hand. Her hand had the coin in it, which she had subtly picked up with her palm. Glancing down, she read the coin. Then, putting her hand back down, the coin was gone. If anybody had good enough eyes to follow her smooth movements, they would have seen the flick of her fingers and the coin fly into her hair, where it stayed. Zeina wasn't the Coyote for nothing—she could make things seem to disappear at will.

With a smile directed towards Kassom, Zeina wondered if he was even telling the truth. She was surprised that Rufus would call the Black Wolf to the pack. But why else would he be here? If he had come to try to take over Rufus's position, surely he would use a better tactic. And Rufus calling him was suspicious enough as it was that it would be a horrible lie. Plus, his aura was staying constant. So perhaps he was telling the truth after all. By why would Rufus call him?

"So," Zeina started, still smiling. "You would like to talk to Gaze and Vent. But how do I know I can trust you? I don't want any backstabbing going on." Those last two sentences were aimed towards the message he gave her, and she assumed he would pick up on that. She would figure out his motive later.

Nascent

He had to admit, he was impressed by that disappearing act she'd pulled with the coin. He hadn't met many people, even in this crafty organization, who could outwit a Feral's keen eyes with simple slight of hand. He could guess it was somewhere -- unless she had some magic talents for that, of course -- but with his gaze on her expression he hadn't been watching closely enough to tell where the coin ended up. Even as he silently wondered he felt an amused tingle in the back of his mind; Ilaelis knew, but wasn't telling. Sometimes the demon liked to test his protege, keep him on his toes.

"How indeed?" He gave a half-laugh. "How do any of us know we can trust each other? That's why I typically stay out of the mix here -- I'm sure you're all fine people and better thieves..." He rubbed his neck a bit. "...But I like to keep it simple, when I can."

The underlying message was clear: things weren't simple at the moment.

But her question still stood: how could he convince her to trust him. Kassom pondered it for a long moment, going from rubbing his neck to his chin...

"Leverage." The word was practically a whisper. His expression showed he didn't much like the idea that came to mind, but that he didn't have anything else to work with. He turned to Zeina.

"We could talk for hours about why you should or shouldn't trust me... or I could offer you leverage over me, something to hold onto until our dealings together are done. All I need is a scrap of paper and something to write with. Don't suppose you have some?"

zozee9

Zeina sighed as she saw his reaction to her trick. There he was again, messing up her mind with his two different aura colors. But at least one of them seemed to have respect for her... that was more than she was expecting.

Zeina listen some as he talked, but was paying more attention to his aura. He was finally showing more than that cautious orange color. That being said, the colors were murky. One color seemed fairly calm, but the other one was being calculative and yet worried.

Looking him straight in the eyes, Zeina replied, "I don't, but I'm sure Alko does." She smiled before adding, "What are you thinking in terms of leverage? Perhaps that secret you've been trying so hard to hide?" Now she was the one taking a gamble. First off, she didn't even know if he had a secret. Perhaps that two colored aura thing was just a birth defect of some sort. A weird birth defect, but the option wasn't impossible. Secondly, if he did have some sort of secret that caused his aura to be like that, he might wonder how she knew it. Well, she was a pro liar. She could come up with a reason. Lastly, Zeina doubted he would tell her anyway. And then she'd have given him reason to be suspicious of her for no reason.

But she still thought it was worth a try. He had something special, and she wanted to know what it was and if it mattered at all. Either to her, or to Rufus.

Nascent

He couldn't help but chuckle at her question, though it was with a very faint hint of nervousness. She knew something about him, or at least thought she knew something. He could feel Ilaelis becoming wary and defensive, like a serpent coiling in the back of his mind. For his part, Kassom was still mostly cool and level-headed. He knew how he was playing this; for the moment everything else came secondary.

"Secret? Which one?" He gave her a half-hearted laugh, voice becoming more confident as he added. "I've got several... but yes, this is one of them."

Kassom pantomimed writing as Alko returned with their drinks and was soon in possession of a small slip of paper and a thin stick of charcoal. Not as good as ink, sure, but ink was expensive after all. Glancing to both sides just to make sure no one was looking over his shoulder or in his general direction, the Feral thief quickly scratched out a mere handful of words, blew gently across the paper to clear it of dust that could cause smear, folded it in half... and, with a look of great reluctance, held it out to Zeina.

"If you really need a reason to trust me, read it. But if you're willing to take me at my word... well, you'll make your own choices anyway, so there's no point in saying it. Just... for pity's sake, don't lose it. And when our business is over I'll be wanting it back. Are we agreed?"

zozee9

Zeina smiled at his reaction to her question. She was right. This was shown by his outside reaction and proved by his inside reaction. One of the colors immediately became red, the color of danger and suspicion. The other color was staying a calm blue. So how did he have two different emotions? It wasn't as if one was his hidden feelings and the other were his true feelings. Otherwise she would have seen this sort of thing in other people. The only guesses Zeina could come up with was that he was either possessed, or he was two different people (she met siblings in Cerenis once that basically shared a body).

But he wasn't going to tell her what his secret was. She knew that without even looking at the paper. However, it was obvious that he was giving her another important secret of his. Zeina grabbed the folded piece of paper and then took a sip of the tea Alko had given her.

After glancing down at the paper, she looked at Kassom and said, "I won't read this unless you give me a reason to be suspicious of you. I can tell that whatever is written in here is not a farce, so I suppose I'll give you more motivation to not break any rules. After all, I believe we both know that secrets in the pack are better kept as just that: secrets. But if you do something that causes harm to Rufus or me, or anybody either of us care about, I will look at what's written and I will use it to my advantage. Understand?" Zeina was telling the complete truth. She wasn't going to go back to her room and read it anyway, that wasn't like her. While having knowledge of what was written on the paper might be useful, she believed that Kassom would be a better asset to her if he was working to hide this secret.

And while this piece of information in her hand seemed to be important, it seemed to not be as important as the secret to his two-colored aura. So she knew she couldn't force his hand with it. This was one of the few times that Zeina would not be taking advantage of gaining information. After all, she believed she would be just as well—if not better—without it.

Brisinger987

Torak woke up, his eyes tinged red with rage, his emotions running rampant. He cracked his knuckles and looked for a man with a neck to snap. Anyone to kill. He was angry and only blood would soothe his bloodlust. There was no repentance.

But it didn't take long for his mind to settle, and him to examine the area around him. Anti-magic field. Strong steel cell, with unpickable locks, as is standard for the Wolves. Nothing vulnerable in floors or walls. They were all at sewer level, so he didn't have any drains, and any sideways digging would lead to endless dirt. And he had no idea how long he had been out.

He sat on the floor, wondering what would happen. Execution. Expulsion. Torture, humiliation. Anything.

He scanned the floor for a loose stone. But he spotted the coin, and picked it up. From Kassom...

"She won't die. Not if I can help it..."

kleineklementine

This was supposed to be Bruin's night off and she got called in to deal with this guy. At least he was unconscious and she could spend the night thinking of all the things maybe she could do when she finally did get a day off. Oh hell, she'd probably just spend it in Hair of the Dog.

Bruin's attention piqued when she heard the slow movements of Torak coming around inside the cell. Figures he'd have to wake up. She hadn't really met him before, but from what she heard, he sure could fly off the handle. She really, really didn't want to deal with anything like that tonight. It was supposed to be her night off.

She kicked the door to Torak's cell and peered through the door's barred window. "Keep it down in there, will ya? Don't give me a reason to put another cross bolt through you. I'm a better shot than that Cain who got your leg," she warned.

Brisinger987

"I am not here to cause trouble with you. So here's the deal. Let me out." Torak wasn't playing with this man. He would get let out.

"I have to save a Jackal if you don't mind. So how 'bout you just let me out?" To be honest, Torak wanted shooting. He could take pain. He would try some of his older tactics to get out.

kleineklementine

Bruin rolled her eyes. Apparently this guy was crazy after all, like they all said. Save a Jackal indeed.

"Whatchya on about?" she asked. Bruin wouldn't normally be chatty with a prisoner, but this was meant to be her night off! And she was scheduled to be here all night long now. Plus, on the off chance that he actually knew something, she ought to hear what he had to say. "I let you out, and it'll be me and you who need saving from a Jackal. You tell me what on earth you're blatherin' about, and we'll go from there."

The woman raised an eyebrow, looking at Torak with a mix of curiosity, skepticism, and contempt through the barred window.

Brisinger987

"Zahi. Danger. She can't die. If anyone kills her it will be me, and I have to prove a point to her before I let her die. So let me out." Torak stated it calmly, as if it meant nothing to him. If Zahi died, they would have Torak to contend with. And that would be and angry, vengeful, pissed off Torak.

"You don't like me. That's clear."