Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Beasts in Irons (Scythe-Nova)

Started by TheHighwayman, July 21, 2013, 04:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayman

"You could say that, I suppose. Though I don't really do it for the pay." Jax grinned and tossed his sword about in his hands. "It's for the adventure, the chance to see or do something different. Never had the patience to sit down and learn any sort of trade." The man deftly twirled the sword above his head and slipped it into its sheathe with a flourish. "Sure, I've nearly gotten myself killed about thirty times over, but it wouldn't be fun if I hadn't, now would it?" Once again Jaxel seemed totally oblivious to what was going on in Iron's head.

As they neared the other stairway, the one most of the other prisoners had fled through, the odd man sniffed and let out a laugh. "Fresh air! Come on, we're just about free of this place!" Bounding up the stairs three at a time, Jaxel gave a whoop and flung open the steel door at the top.... and found himself looking at the same clearing he'd followed the miller to earlier.

Jaxel paid little mind to that fact, however, immediately jumping into a series of flips, rolls, and cartwheels that might have made an acrobat envious. "Haha! We're out of that place! Don't want to think what would've happened ta us if we'd not broken loose... Kind of convenient that we both ended up in the same cell, actually. Guess I owe ya one for helping me out of there." Most of what the man was saying might have been rather difficult to follow, as every third word or so was interrupted by another stunt. Eventually he sat still for a moment... when one of his tricks somehow ended up with him halfway up a small tree. "So, just let me know if there's anything I can do for ya." Hopping down from his perch, Jaxel stretched and dusted himself off.

Scythe-Nova

Iron listened to Jax as he spoke and slightly nodded in agreement about the adventure thing, Iron liked exploring and getting into trouble all the time. As they came out to the clearing she smiled widely seeing the greenery and taking a deep breath before turning into her wolf form feeling that she needed to stretch her limbs as a her original form, She followed Jaxels stunts with her eyes just slightly interested and chuckled a bit as he pointed out that it was good that he was put in her cell but she looked a bit troubled as he told her to tell him if there was something she wanted done.

-"Uh... yeah i'll tell yah if i come up with something"

She said looking to the side before sitting down still looking rather menacing as she was as large as a horse in her original Wolf form, Her tail wagged back and forth in excitement and she looked upon Jax with a slight smile. But it was good for her she did not have to ask him for help without feeling like she demanded something from him as he had told her she could ask him for a boon.

-"Anyway where will we be going? i'm not familliar with the human world at all"

TheHighwayman

"First things first, I need to go get my things. Hopefully the innkeeper didn't go and get rid of them- dunno how long I was out, after all. Then it's the road to Lyrin." Jaxel did one last handstand- at least for the moment- and raised (or would that be lowered?) an eyebrow. "By the way, how'd they go and catch you if you look like that normally? Those guards weren't exactly experts ya know." It was a good point. Jaxel might have been an an idiot (and he was largely aware of that fact), but he'd not gotten a name for himself in the business by ignoring strange happenings like that. If they had some kind of weapon that could subdue something as big as Iron, then they'd have to- well, the plan would probably still be to charge in face first, but at least they'd be prepared for it.

Cartwheeling over to the massive wolf, he peered at her rather good-at-chomping-people looking teeth and scratched his head. "I mean, they can't have been paid enough to go after someone like you. I'd do it just for fun, but they say I'm a lunatic, so... Gotta be a better reason. Silver crossbow bolts maybe? Didn't seem like you were hurt..." Jaxel peered around for any signs of puncture wounds.

Scythe-Nova

-"Well somehow they had seen me transform before so they sneaked up on me while i was resting, first thing i knew they had that leather band around me with the silver studs."

She shook her head annoyed at her own carelessness that had led to this in the first place, She were not really sure why she had been resting in her human form to begin with.

-"But the first time i broke the band and made a run for it but they seemed prepared for that as they threw a net over me and next thing i knew they were there with another studded band again.. stupid humans.."

She said with a growl and treansformed into her human form again and looked at Jax when he looked for wounds on her, She had many scars on her limbs but not many on her torso or face but they all looked rather old.

TheHighwayman

"That's a neat trick, wish I could turn into a wolf like that. Well, least you aren't hurt." When Iron switched back, Jaxel did a quick cartwheel around the woman and nodded. Well, at least they didn't have some kind of secret weapon after all. "I'm just glad they didn't know about my weakness to iron. Would've been really bad if both of us had been restrained." He scratched at his chin, at the edge of his dragon tattoo. "Wonder why they didn't, come to think of it... Who knows? Was lucky for us, at least."

Stretching, Jaxel started off in the direction of the town, hands folded behind his head. "So, you looked as surprised as I was at their little set-up down there. I take it they didn't have time to throw you through it before I got locked up with you?" Not exactly the most tactful question... but tact wasn't exactly one of Jaxel's strong suits. He took to fiddling with his sword again as he walked, testing the weight. "And I don't suppose you'd want this, would you? I've got a better one at home- lighter, a lot better balanced... and not purely iron. Hate to throw it away though, it isn't a bad weapon."

Scythe-Nova

-"I don't turn into a wolf i am a wolf to begin with"

She said looking at Jax with a sligthly annoyed expression but she shook her head and shrugged as Jax asked why the people that had captured them were incompetent, She ran a hand through her hair and straightened out some tangled hair and then looked at Jax as he walked off towards some place and began following him.

-"No they didn't have the guts to come over and try to take me anywhere as i had injured anyone trying to come near me... No i don't use weapons."

She said and looked at the sword skeptically and shook her head before looking up to the sky te get her bearings right, It did not take long before she stopped walking for a second and kept looking up into the sky with a suprised expression.

-"...This place is far from my territory..."

TheHighwayman

Jaxel persisted in tossing about the sword as he walked, then raised an eyebrow. "Huh, really? Most of the people they grabbed were from around here, or had been passing through at the time. Where are you from?" That little surprise was enough to cause the man a rare moment of concentrated thought. If those people could grab Iron from somewhere else, it wasn't just a local operation. If it wasn't a local operation, odds were that the guy they were chasing now wasn't actually the head of things, and they might well spread a lot further than he'd been afraid of.

Well, they'd figure things out once they caught their quarry, for certain. If they had time to drill him for information before Iron punched his face in, that is. Quickening his pace, Jaxel saw the edge of the small town through the trees, and darted forward. The man was met with a mix of surprise, annoyance, and open-mouthed stares as he sprinted and flipped his way to the inn, flung open the door, and dashed up the stairs to his room.

Once there, he hastily grabbed his pack, buckled on his sword, and snatched up his blue cloak before leaping through the window and up onto the roof, for reasons only Jaxel himself might possibly know. There he fastened the cape, drew his sword, and gave a whoop. "Hah! That's much better. Was worried I'd not be getting these back."

Meanwhile, a number of the townspeople began to gather below, muttering among themselves. Some seemed bewildered, some seemed to have heard something of what had transpired (presumably from the escapees who passed that way),  and some seemed simply curious. There was muttering, shouting for him to get down from there, and of course a few joking calls to jump.

Scythe-Nova

-"I'm From the forests of Serendipity"

She answered simply and she noticed that her partner quickened his pace and did the same until they neared the inn which was when she stopped and looked after Jax who seemed to know exactly where to go. She waited for him to come out so that they could get on their way and also get away from this town, Iron disliked humans and their cities and towns and never spent any more time than necessary in them. When Jax made his way to the roof of the house she tilted her head slightly and looked up at him.

-"You done here?!"

TheHighwayman

It didn't take long for Jaxel to finish sightseeing- or whatever the strange man was doing up there- and he descended the building in a series of quick springs, seeming to naturally find footholds that a trained eye would barely notice. He brushed the hair out of his face and nodded at Iron, sheathing his sword with a final twirl. "Right, let's go!"

Jax seemed to have forgotten his question to Iron, walking along silent aside from the occasional whistle or hum, but suddenly he chimed in. "I'm from Serendipity myself. Didn't like it too much though; for all the magic, nobody seemed to do too much of interest. That's why I became a traveler- I get to see the interesting bits of everywhere, and can leave whenever I feel like it. Even with the business here, my job gives me plenty of excuses to go wherever I like."

Scythe-Nova

Iron looked around in the mass of people around her that also looked at Jax and she felt really uncomfortable in the presence of so many humans, they were too close for her liking and when Jax finally came down she let out a sigh of relief and walked out of the crowd and walked besides Jax.

-"I really hate crowds..."

She said under her breath and looked back at the crowd at the inn befor looking back at Jax.

-"How do you stand being in crowds like that?"

TheHighwayman

Jaxel, now much more comfortable with his bags and his proper sword, folded his hands behind his head and shrugged. "Never really thought about it much. I always liked crowds. More people means it's more likely something interesting'll happen." His logic was somewhat marred by the fact that he was the most likely person to start something in any given crowd, but he didn't feel the need to question it.

The strange man blew at a loose bit of hair that had fallen over his forehead and gave the werewolf a curious look. "So, when we get where we're going, get our revenge, sort all this out, and whatever else happens, what do you plan on doing? Head home, I guess?"

Scythe-Nova

-"... I hadn't really thought about it.."

She said as she gazed slightly up into the sky before looking at Jaxel and looking like she were struggling with a thought before looking back at the road ahead and slightly scratching her neck.

-"I don't think i'll be going back though, it was about time i went out and found a pack for me anyways..."

She explained and ran her fingers through her hair straightening it a bit and sighing slightly before looking back at Jax with a cocky smile.

-"But i think i'll follow you around for a while though"