Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Vandiver Antidotal [Athran]

Started by Collette Vandiver, December 31, 2013, 12:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Collette Vandiver

Wanderer no more. Collette thought. And it took less than she thought, but here, in Matron's Hollow, Vandiver opened a small store. She tired of the wandering life, and jobs were scarce.  Connloath's recent impasse with Serendipity and all magic types is a rouse for job and supplier opportunities. The store was small, much like a boutique or botanical building. There were three sections to the store originally, the front for preforming sales and considering customers; the area was the size of a small dining room- space for display cases and many shelves with salves and remedies, with a small, unpolished counter which Collette would work behind.

The back of the store was connected by a door with a blackened padlock, the colour matching the pick-proof slide and knob-lock on the front door. The back consisted of a plethora of file boxes filled with manila parchments, and a corner twelve feet away which her bed stood in. It was a single bed, not too uncomfortable, and was covered by a wool and deerskin blanket.

The final section of the building was a basement. The door to it was located in the backroom (her sleeping space) covered by a basic rug of plant fibers- something she picked up from Thanatos a year or so back. The basement held a safe which money was fed into at the day's end, and boxes of inventory. The room was chilly- due to draft, which conveniently catered to the clipped flora. Glasses, bottles, and containers were stacked upon shelves for easy access, and several other ingredients to remedies, such as crawlers, leeches for bloodwork, and other unidentifiable organisms.

And with Connloath's war, money won't be tight. I'm able to provide for both sides-- keeping my interests involved and selling both healing and murderous concoctions. Her visible, red right eye narrowed a miniscule, And those damned alchemists won't stand a chance in my store! Her eye softened when she imagines a scenario in which an alchemist would stand in her store's doorway, and a slip of her hand would slip water which Oleander (a toxic plant) had been steeped in, into their order of remedial wine or salves.

"I'll give end to anyone I wish..." Her hand reached up to cover her bandaged left eye, "Anyone with a desire to practice certain magics... but everyone who tries their hand at alchemy will be eliminated."

And with her declaration, Collette uncovers the wooden sign above her store's hardwood door. Its title is revealed:

Vandiver Antidotal
To cleanse the world!

Anadwen

Followed. Watched. Despised, and looked down at. Even simple villagers and commoners turned their heads away as he passed. They mumbled curses and stepped out of his way, avoiding him as far as they could... Nobody wants an elf and a mage in Connloath.

Athran felt the unpleasant glances of passers-by on his back, piercing, but fearful and terrified. He didn't pay attention to them - after a hundred years he got used to those looks of loathing and fear. He pulled his hood onto his head and kept walking. What troubled him more than villagers were the Mordecai, ever watchful, following him... If he would try to use magic, even so little as lighting a candle, there would be a sword ready to slit his throat.

Deep in his thoughts, he slipped through the door of some small shop. He didn't bother taking his hood off, and instead just pulled it deeper into his face, until he was hidden in a shadow from which only his bright eyes glinted like sky on cold iron. With a few long, assured steps, he got to the counter. He quickly looked over the shelves, not saying a word, and crossed his arms on his chest.

"Good morning."

Collette Vandiver

The bustle of the chilly morning was comforting. She felt a certain strength standing behind her desk- a safe hideaway from the various stout natives of Connloath. She leaned a hand upon her wooden desk's top, red eye watching but glazed over in thought as she slowly rubbed the surface. A noticeable hush hummed outside her shop. She didn't look, but determined it to be another mage making their way along. The thought dropped her stomach in anticipation. Will they be one? Will whatever mage passes be one who practices a grotesque magic?

The door gave a shhh as it was lightly pushed open. Her focus returned, hand now made small circles on the desk as her impassive eyes lit noticing the customer. The figure was tall and, curiously, had a hood hiding their face. Dark hair peeked form beneath their dark clothing, and Collette stood straight upon hearing their greeting.

"A good morning, indeed. How do you fare?"

Collette unconsciously searched for more of this person's features. She was immediately drawn to piercing, lighted azure eyes. Her own eye stared unabashed at the entrancing irises. A bit of anxiety touched her mind, The Connloath frequently greet one another by touch- would one such as I dare to approach a stranger and connect our cheeks? No, no... not one native has grasped my pale face for the customary meeting of cheeks. I'll do as the Thanati do, then. A formal, polite approach.

The small-framed, pale adult placed her hands in her lap and bowed her head a bit- just enough to keep an eye on the newcomer. Don't trust a soul- make them trust you. She recalled the wise words of a soldier of Adela.

Anadwen

He bowed his head a little in a quick greeting, not saying a word. The usual ways of greeting people, and what is worse, even strangers, in Connlaoth seemed disgusting to him - he preferred not to make any physical contact unless necessary. His eyes carefully watched the small, light-skinned woman behind the counter, but he remained silent for a long while.

"My travels are my concern. You would not be interested, if I told you." If I told you, you'd call the Mordecai. His melodic voice was silent, but hard and cold. Even one question is too much for someone like him, someone who doesn't wish to share his experience and memories.

His hands sled from his chest onto the counter, after what he proceeded to pull out his money bag, rugged, but for this time, considerably heavier than other times - rich nobles pay well for a knife in the dark, especially if it's a quick and silent one. He stared into the woman's eye with an untold question.

"Do you sell poisons just as well as remedies?"

Collette Vandiver

Ah. What a cold reply. A magic user, then? Only they would be so cautious on Connloath. Collette nodded in understanding when he tells her that he'll not give any further. A mere alchemist would likely announce their status. She straightened her back and noted immediately a great height variation. Her vermilion eye stared into his crystalline blue with a dark twinkle.

She gave no indication she was aware of his movements as the hooded man retrieved a worn bag for coin from his person. The coin gave a pleasant and satisfying ka-ting when moved. The genetically altered human waited for his request- not surprised when he inquires of the toxins. Collette's lips curled into a tiny smile, "So we'll not exchange pleasantries? I take it you're here on behalf of the war." Her statement wasn't phrased in a way which indicated she awaited an answer- there more than likely wouldn't be one- or a true one, at that. It was merely a means to drive away the store's early-morning quiet. The silence gave her a chill- it was a reminder that she was alone as she wished, yet judged and watched by the silent eyes of Connloath.

Collette straightened her dark dress, a thick, woolly winter version of her usual dress. She felt rather chilled lately. The girl proceeded to turn silently and make her way to the door connected to the back of her shop- to the room which she dreamt. Just before reaching for her key, the young Vandiver glanced to her customer. "Aye, however, I'd like it very much to be assured you are not sent on behalf of an alchemist or necro-magic user." One hand reached up to ghost her eyepatch, staring him in the eyes. "I accuse you of no treacherous deeds- I need only your word."

She liked to think that people answer honestly with confidence, and one that must lie to get what they need is caught unaware by her request. It is rather unique a question, after all.

Anadwen

Athran's lips twisted into a bleak grin. "Aye, on the behalf of the war. When I'm done with a man, he  won't need any more remedies for all of eternity." he said. His voice was only a bit louder than a whisper, but deathly cold and cruel.

At her second question, however, he shook his head. "My service is too expensive for that alchemist filth. A rat like that could by no means get even quarter of that sum." he winged off, almost spitting at the ground after the word 'alchemist' left his mouth.

Those mages that played with corpses all night were something even he, no matter how dark were his own affairs, avoided. From his experience he knew them as liars and cemetery thieves, but nothing more - and they certainly had nothing to offer him. His silent daggers and heavy sword were more fit for service of others - rich nobles, merchants, lords - who had the money and means to employ someone like him.

And a man that plays games with the dead is not one to trust, nor is one that attempts to defy the laws of nature. Liars, traitors... Even though he didn't know the reason why the woman asked such a question, he answered honestly. Lying without reason was not his cup of tea.

Collette Vandiver

So it isn't simply an ill-wish? A murder, then. Oh, how invigorating! Collette shared a gleeful grin with herself, sure to keep it from sight. When Athran sweeped away her suspicion of him working for her enemies, the Vandiver nodded solemnly. Rats they are, Sir. But by no means are the greatest silver-tongued alchemists poor. Imagine the work they've done- the things they've proven and the pains they've brought to wring their desired results from their theories. Only the most wicked reach the top.

Collette accepted his answer silently, brushing away her own thoughts at last to open the door. She pulled the silver key, rather tarnished, from her clothing; it easily slipped into the door's large keyhole and clicked it open. She didn't look back, but requested the mysterious man to follow her for his requested items. "What is it you require? I've already a vast stock of crushed and dried herbs and toxins- or, if it is more your tastes, I've a few "remedies" left intact." She paused, using her short height to the advantage and easily pushing a newer burlap sack off her cellar's floor door.

The door wasn't very large, but allowed her to maneuver onto a wooden ladder. She gathered her skirts, turned to face Athran, and stoically moved to stand upon the first few rings. "Would you prefer to browse, or is there something you've in mind? I won't bite- my work is against not a stranger."

She moved down a bit, looking up at him, face and body nearly consumed completely by the dark cellar's relentless void. Her vibrant red eye stared up at him, nearly imploring him to follow. Collette took pride in her work and the amount of remedies and poisons she managed to stock. Of course, the malicious substances being stocked only in the cellar- to keep from prying eyes of Connloath.

Anadwen

Athran glanced towards the door, then stepped onto the ladder after her. "Something strong and lethal in liquid state. If you let me, I'll choose." he answered. It was important for the substance to drench the blades of his weapons, otherwise it would be of no use.

His eyes were flashing from her to the door every now and then, carefully watching for any visitor - or, as he would have said, intruder. "I prefer poisons that leave no trace - without any smell or color. It is rather visible on steel..." he explained her silently.

Collette Vandiver

Collette swiftly made her way down the ladder and into the abyss. Upon touching the ground, the young killer felt for a set of matches and a taper candle she knew to be placed along the wall. It was where she had last left it, and she lit it with practiced ease. It lit enough of the chilly cellar to allow them both better vision, and Collette wasted no time in lighting the four other candles along the wall- all the while she carried the portable taper in her hand to closer inspect items. She waited for Athran with great patience and hidden glee.

"Very well. I'll assume you've knowledge on 'least a few of my inventory. If you have a query, do not hesitate to speak." She voiced. Collette took three long strides to a shelf on the east wall, and eyed two shelves about shoulder-level. They were filled with bottles of various sizes, most of them either clear, as he requested, or a light red. "These," she lifted one of the red ones and inspected a small label strung on, "are useful in wines. Not entirely colourless, but odorless. This one in particular'll have a bitter after taste, though."

She relished in a moment of silence, abruptly placed the bottle back and thrust the tall candle in her hand forward. It was upon a brass holder for safety. Her red eye searched for his own piercing blue, imploring him to take it to inspect the vials.

Anadwen

Athran snapped his fingers, above which a slim, trembling flame appeared, and pressed the one on his other hand onto his lips, showing Colette to remain silent about him practicing magic in her shop. His hand, hidden in the dark glove, pushed the candle away.

"I need something undetectable on steel..." he muttered, quickly browsing through the viols. "Must be easy to wash off, too. I might use the blades for personal matters later, and don't want to get poisoned. I don't need the poison to be undetectable by taste... Nobody's going to eat it, anyway. It's just a check... I want to make sure that if the wound isn't lethal, it will eventually become one's death anyway."

He grabbed several viols and handed them to Colette. "Please, do not reveal this information to anyone. If you may, I will make sure it'll be the last thing you'll say to anyone who might investigate... Understood?" he explained her, staring right into her eye.

Collette Vandiver

With an impassive expression did she watch him produce a flickering flame. She took note of his motion of silence and made her own in return; Collette had placed a steady, pale finger to her lips in a gesture of agreeing to keep silent. After all, she did not entirely despise magic. When he pushed the candle away, she simply held it before her, but not in a way that would blind them both by its proximity. Athran had begun listing the needed qualities of a toxin, and Collette nearly smiled.

The keeper watched him silently as he analysed and retrieved vials of various substances. She noted immediately that one of them were of her newer arrivals. It's pleasing to know my purchases were of use. The woman considered his demands, mentally running over her stock and trying to figure out which would be best. It was for naught- the stranger clearly understood what he needed. Abruptly Athran demanded that she not reveal his purchase or presence. It was standard- a threat many of her customers made. She seethed internally over being underestimated, but understood that she was merely half-human; a poor excuse for an experiment, whose health wouldn't permit a fight. Reluctantly Collette nodded apathetically.

"Though I do not take kindly to threats, your reasoning is excusable." She waited a moment, gathering the vials in a way that would allow her to climb back up. "Fret not. Your visit to this shop will be denied to all who query."

There was a pause to allow him to answer, and she paid no heed to her skirts and made her way up the wooden ladder. Once done, she waited for the cloaked man to climb, her visible eye scanning the door to the shop.No one has entered... good. Not that I'd be unalerted. Indeed- there was a fine fishing string attached to the door which lined the ceiling. It would lightly chime a bell both above her bed and in the cellar; the bells were a precaution.

Anadwen

Athran nodded. "Thank you. It's something I demand of everyone I get to meet on... Business." he muttered, and handed her three glass viols, filled with a clear liquid. Though quite small, he knew that they were filled with potent poisons.

"I will take these. I don't expect them to be cheap... But I'll take them, anyway." He climbed the ladder up and dusted his black clothes off. His eyes checked the shop for any other visitors once again, but he was relieved to find out that they were alone.

And then the sound of a clinking bell rang through the air.

Collette Vandiver

The altered human silently beckoned the customer to the front of her shop, ready to close the door behind him should he follow. Her steps were light, airy, as she took her place behind the wooden desk by the room's door. She then placed the vials on the desk, eyed them a moment, and determined their contents. She bent down, eye-level with the clear contents, and blinked owlishly with her wide red eye. Said eye glanced at Athran from Collette's place behind the desk.

She made a decision. "Fifteen gold." The price was reasonable, was it not? Collette understood that the contents of one of the three vials were six gold alone, and with the low prices of the others, handling, and taxation fees... She had been generous. It is a fine day, after all. And I've collected two of these vials' substances with ease- most of my toxins may be found here, in Connloath. No shipping or travel fees to pay a greedy merchant. Best yet, I've 'nough knowledge to collect the contents myself. It isn't too much...

Collette was in a rather charitable mood. The war beginning was pleasing to hear, and she could not wait to hear tales of mage deaths. "Fifteen is the amount I ask. A bargain, no?" She queries. Quite honestly, the Vandiver had never stepped foot among the polished floors of another "medicinal" shop. The business here was entirely up to her, and she wanted nothing, such as another's prices, to cloud her judgement.

Anadwen

Athran quickly handed her the gold, shielding himself from the sight of the other man with his black cape. The coins didn't make a sound in his hands, and he even placed them upon the table so softly that there was hardly anything to hear.

"It's a good price. Usually this would go for twenty, even thirty." he muttered, hiding the viols in his pockets. "I appreciate your service..." His eyes shifted towards the other customer, clothed in long robes. It was apparently a scholar or priest. Or a mage, or alchemist. Nothing good.

The elf frowned. Company wasn't something he'd wish to have while buying poisons... Unfortunately, it seemed unavoidable. Damn scholars. They appear in the worst moment... Always in the worst moment.

Collette Vandiver

She nodded once, "And you, for your business here." Collette did not yet look at the other, certain they would wait their turn. As much as she anticipated meeting them, finding out what they did, she would hold herself back. Not entirely silent, she lifted the coins and once again gave a polite inclination of her head.

Then, for the newcomer to hear, "I do so hope for your mother to get well. Give her that but once a day, and surely she'll be up again." A smile painted itself onto her pale face, fake, as the display was meant only to trick the other customer.

She bids Athran a farewell, placing the coin into a leather coin purse beneath the desk.

Anadwen

Athran watched the other man, not eager to move from the counter. There was something about him that he didn't like... Most likely just one of those scholars that live in their tall towers and when they get to lay their feet upon the common ground, they act as if they were better than everyone. Something was odd about him, though.

He gestured to Colette to hide, pointing at the door at the back of the room. He would deal with the man if it would come to a fight... But didn't want the small woman to get in the way. If the shop was to burst up in flames, it was better for everyone to stay out of the way.

"Hide somewhere... I'll tell you when yo come out." he whispered.