Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Vanilla Pecan Candies

Started by visualspice, November 12, 2013, 09:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleineklementine

Dahlia had just begun wondering if maybe she ought to stop moping and go back into the ball when the Fiona spoke. Dahlia startled. She'd forgotten entirely about the strange girl in the whirl of Jillian's blusterous appearance. "You think so?" was her response to Fi's first comment about how big families are 'fun.' Sometimes Dahlia wondered...

But she looked up at the girl, now straddling the railing, when Fiona remarked that Dahlia must be one of the older siblings because of her 'look' and she gave a little sigh. But she had to laugh at the question 'how many siblings do you have?'

"Too many!" came her quick answer, and she smiled for a moment. "I'm in the middle, more or less. I'm number five of eleven." Or, at least, she had been when she was a child. "But I suppose, in practice, I'm number the third of nine. I don't know, though. I just have three - and that'll be it, for me - and I think they get on fine."

Really, Dahlia thought they got on better, but she didn't say so.

"Are all six of you here? You must be far better than my lot at staying out of trouble if you are!"

Ivory

Fi blinked as she ran through the numbers Dahlia had just presented.  She had gotten lost somewhere between eleven and three and was just about willing to take 'too many' as her answer.

"Oh," she answered, looking every bit as confused as she felt.  When the question turned to her own family, however, she simply said, "They're dead."

Silence hung between them as Fiona studied the city lights, and then, abruptly, as if coming back from some far away place, she looked back to Dahlia with a broad smile.  "Except two o' me brothers.  Laighean and Draven are 'ere somewhere.  At least, that's what the kitteh tol' me.  But Ah 'aven't foun' 'em yet, 'cause I don't know what kind o' talkin' animals they are."

The smile faded, then.  "Ye've lost someone too, 'aven't ye?  'Cause o' fightin'?"

visualspice

Stepping onto the veranda, Lord Edward Draven was happy to find some time to himself. Though the veranda was mostly vacant, he found, after already leaning against the stone balcony with a tired sigh, that he wasn't alone. He only gave one small look to the others. He had to do a double take to the girl leaning precariously on the balcony, perching on it like some sort of a cat, but figured the other woman- perhaps, had it covered. Even still, he sheepishly cast a look their way- just in case they might need some assistance as he began to realize the masked bird looked familiar, and a dopey smile graced his features. It was Riley's mom! And as he stood there, he contemplated ways to approach, but held back still, just admiring the pair from a distance.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

Now Dahlia really was startled. She looked at Fiona a long time, unsure what to say to the girl's insight. She wondered if it was so obvious to everyone, or just to this strange girl.

"Yes," she answered at length. "I lost my husband. We were together for quite a long time. It's..."

Dahlia didn't know what to say. Words to describe how she'd felt at the loss, how she still felt, escaped her. She didn't even notice the appearance of a third party on the veranda just then. She stared at Fiona for several moments longer before coming back to herself again.

"I'm sorry about your family."

Ivory

"Aye, and Ah'm sorry too."  As if she had no concept of etiquette, she scooted forward to hug the other woman gently.  It was a warm, loving hug, as if they had always been dear friends.

"Ah know.  It's nae easy.  Losin' those ye love before their time never gets easy."  Releasing her, she offered the woman a smile.  "But ye're a brave lass.  Ah can tell.  Ye 'ave to 'ave faith in the world, and ye'll find color again.  Ye just 'ave to be willin' to look."  She giggled softly and leaned forward, lifting her chin slightly in the direction of the man on the other end of the baloney.  "Like 'ow 'e is lookin' at ye."

kleineklementine

At first, Dahlia froze, surprised and thrown off her balance, but after half a beat, she returned Fiona's hug. As strange as her mannerisms were, Dahlia felt there was something genuine in the girl.

She gave Fiona a small smile and was about to say something about her seeming an awful lot older than her years, when the girl gestured to the entrance of the veranda. Like how who is looking at who? Dahlia's eyes followed Fiona's and she almost jumped when she saw Edward there. Somehow, while talking to Fiona, Dahlia had almost forgotten she was at a ball.

She looked quickly back to Fiona. "But I don't even know him!" she whispered.

Well, that wasn't strictly true. She'd seen him earlier in the night at Oscar's little fiasco with Lady Valia. And, of course, she'd seen Riley talking with him before that, and sneaking away from the scene with him after. She really ought to thank him for that. But, whether because of Fiona's manner of pointing him out or perhaps that she'd been moping about on the veranda while her son bothered  someone else, she felt suddenly embarrassed and self-conscious.

And normally Dahlia was so composed.

She looked back to Fiona, as if the girl would know what she should do.

Ivory

"So?" Fiona asked, as though it were the silliest question in all the world.  "Ye're both birds, aren't ye?"  Swinging her leg back over the rail, she jumped down nimbly to stand in front of Dahlia with a broad smile.  "An' even if ye are both talkin' birds an' all, it's okay t' do as yer 'eart says.  Nature 'as its own way o' talkin'."

Her eyes flickered to the bird-man again, looking him over for a second, before looking back to Dahlia and grabbing her hand.  "Come on!  I'll introduce ye!"

And whether Dahlia liked it or not, Fiona was leading her over to the other man for an introduction.  In Fi's mind, this could not possibly backfire!

"Mr. Bluebird," she began with all the cordial formality of a true princess.  She held out Dahlia's hand to the bird-man, expecting him to take it, and, once he had, she swept into a graceful, old-fashioned curtsy.  Although traces of the accent were there, she spoke in a slightly different, more formal dialect.  "May I present to you Miss Blackbird.  Miss Blackbird, please meet Mr. Bluebird."

(OOC: CCed a bit.  Because it had to happen!  *stomp!*)

visualspice

Taking 'Miss BlackBird's' hand, Edward found his cheeks suddenly red, a color that popped beneath the blue feathers of his mask. But he gave a nervous, but friendly smile towards her and bowed gracefully at Fiona's introduction.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss BlackBird. Always nice to meet other feathered friends."

OOC: Sorry this is a short post D:
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

"What? Wait, what are you - " But Dahlia shut up quick as soon as it was clear that Fiona was taking her over to the man. Her wide-eyed expression looked remarkably like Riley's when Edward had asked Janette to dance. It was helped by the fact that, of all her children, her and her youngest son had the strongest resemblance. And she was a little afraid that her cheeks also colored, making her wonder when on earth had been the last time she'd blushed.

"Lord Bluebird, I'm sure," she corrected Fi with a bit of a smile. Despite all the talk about birds, and despite the fact that she wasn't sure what she ought to say, she couldn't quite bring herself to make some awful bird pun. Flocking together or what have it. "I'm afraid I've been doing a rotten job at socializing tonight, but it's lovely, ah, to make your acquaintance."

Dahlia glanced to her hand, which Edward still had, but hadn't done anything with, and wondered what she ought to do. Take it back or wait or...?

To break the tension, Dahlia smiled genuinely, if knowingly, now and asked, "I hope a certain little feather-bag falcon hasn't caused you too much trouble tonight?"

visualspice

"W-why, yes, it would be Lord, I presume, and you a Lady?" Oh, Angsar, that line sounded awful. Clearing his throat, he gave her another smile, albeit he felt sheepish as he continued awkwardly, while his hands began to sweat, and one of them- still holding onto hers!
"Lady Gray, I take it. I was.. er, talking with your son earlier. He's quite a smart and charming boy. I hope you don't mind but, I had invited him over to ride the horse in my stable. With er.. your permission that is, Miss Gray. I mean, Lady Gray."

Ivory

Fiona grinned at the pair, silently but slowly backing away.  Aw, they were off to such a good start and everything!

Upon reaching the door, she turned to disappear inside, leaving the pair of mismatched birds to get to know one another better in privacy.

-----

Exit to Sweet Potato Place!

kleineklementine

What was going on? This must be by far the most awkward introduction Dahlia had experienced in... Well, certainly a long while, anyway! And she wasn't quite sure why. Ideas of what Riley might have said flit through her mind, only compounding her embarrassment. Nothing quite said 'sad' (or maybe pathetic) like a nine-year-old scouting out potential suitors for his widowed mother. What else could be the root of the mounting tension on the veranda?

"Lady Gray, yes," she confirmed. "I was never a 'Miss' Gray. But I have to say, I thought 'Lady Blackbird' had a nicer ring to it. I suppose it's a bit lofty, though. And what's the fun in a masked ball if everyone knows who everyone else is?"

It wasn't an inditement, though perhaps it sounded like it. Really, Dahlia was just talking to fill the space between them. And still he had her hand... Dahlia hadn't a clue what to do. Taking her hand back would be awfully rude, she knew that, but this was getting a bit uncomfortable...

She glanced to where Fiona had been in hope of aid, but the girl was gone. Dahlia was on her own now.

"Oh! He must have made quite the impression, then..." Even behind her mask the surprise showed in her eyes. What all had Riley been up to? Maybe she ought to keep him on a shorter leash after all. "Of course, if you'd like to have him, I'm sure he'd love a trip. If it's not too much of an imposition on you... and your family? But I can hardly put him in a coach and tell the driver to take him to 'Lord Bluebird's Stables.'"

visualspice

"It wouldn't be an imposition!" he assured her, his smile growing more leftward as he took her in. She really did have lovely eyes, even behind the mask. Perhaps it was the way the feathers' framed them. But then he realized he was staring at and blushed and lowered his gaze, and only then realized he was still holding her hand.

"Your son was really charming," he said, finally realizing his hold upon her hand, though wasn't ungentle in it's release. It wasn't like he wanted to drop it, but merely allowed his fingers to open and his hand to lower to allow her to finally reclaim it. "He and I met at the Dessert Table. He seemed to be enjoying the cream puffs. And well, after the moment with Lady Coleridge, I offered to  show him the Grand Palace's StarGazing tower. There we chatted for a while, you know, talking about constellations and things, " Those things he kept confidential (though he was naive enough to believe she might not be able to figure them out!). But he was a genuine sort, so he went on...

"And during our conversation, we talked about horses. I can't rightly say how.." And at that, he scratched sheepishly at the back of his neck. "I suppose it doesn't rightly matter, but it would be of little inconvenience. After all, the only people in my manor are myself and daughter. Though my child could not attend, though the Lords knew I wish it. But she's still just a baby, barely learning to walk now and with a sprouting of curly blonde locks and I- Oh, forgive me, I didn't mean to be rude and go on a tangent about her. It's just that I...er .... well, it's been a while since I've been able to get out to go to these sorts of things, needless to say..."

Yeah, he was sweating bullets. His lips could stop anytime now...
"And what about your children, MIss Gray, I mean, Lady Gray," he was quick to correct. "Are they all here this evening as well? Or was Riley the lucky one?"

kleineklementine

A look of understanding crossed Dahlia's face. 'The only people in my manor are myself and daughter.' Dahlia understood very well what that meant. But she didn't dwell or remark on it. She was familiar with just how exhausting it could be to have every conversation with strangers and vague acquaintances revolve around one's dead spouse. 'Oh, you poor thing...', 'Oh, you're so brave...', 'Oh, your poor children...' Dahlia had heard them all, and she had no intention of inflicting it on someone else.

At least she had her hand back. Though, as silly as it might seem, she felt a little miffed that he kept it for so long without even a polite kiss.

Not too miffed, though, as the man seemed to be almost physically suffering. First the detailed list of every moment spent with Riley, then a rather sweet description of his daughter, which in the end only seemed to make him more embarrassed. Remembering his flustered attempt to aid Lady Coleridge, Dahlia couldn't help but wonder if he was always like this.

She considered just politely answering his question about her children, but she couldn't quite help herself. "Who's to say Riley's not the only one?" she asked with a raised eyebrow. "You've been doing your homework!" But she smiled then and, instead of letting him flounder at her teasing, went on to answer. "The older two stayed home. Riley's the one who teamed up with his grandmother to bully me into coming, so he's the one who came along. I think he knew I wouldn't be able to say no to a little kid offering to escort me to a  ball. Not that I've seen much of him!" she added with a laugh.

"I suppose he put you up to coming out here to find me? And probably whisk me away to dance?" she asked with a little grin. Might as well make a joke about it. "He thinks he's awfully clever. And I got several lectures on the social importance of dancing on our way here."

visualspice

At her comment, he felt his cheeks turn pink.
"Well I er, that is to say-" but then, bless her, she went on to explain her children anyways, and he gave her a soft smile of appreciation for that while still rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. But as she went on, he could only reply, "Your mother must have wanted you out of the house pretty badly. My friend dragged me here as well, though I could have refused, surely, but he was unrelenting." And he chuckled about the comment about Riley's disappearance. "Again, my apologies on that one. Riley and I seemed to hit it off, Going from Creme Puffs to Constellations."

But at that last comment of hers about his intentions here (more pointedly- a dance, he nervously cleared his throat with a short cough, then clasped his hands behind his back, though at her last comment, he couldn't help but smile- revealing just in that action that she was, in fact, correct in what she presumed.

"Riley and I had some sort of plan for the evening, yes. He felt dreadful he was being a poor escort, you see, but my being here on the veranda was purely coincidence, I assure you. Perhaps, Lady BlackBird, I've come on my own volition to ask you to dance. Though my shoes are rusty, we've got quite the long night ahead of us and it would be in poor taste for us to remain away from the dance floor when all of Connlaothian society had to wait years for this day. Surely we can not allow ourselves to remain as rocks stuck at the bottom of a river. The river itself seems to be going somewhere and somewhere fast. The night is only moving onwards, so ... er.." and here he held out his hand, cheeks pink again.

"Would you do me the honor, my lady bird?" And he bowed to her gracefully, and found himself laughing when a few feathers fell from his person. "That is to say, obliging a dance before I end up molting all over the veranda."

kleineklementine

"My mother-in-law, technically. I'm infinitely better at ignoring my actual mother. The old harpy."

At first Dahlia looked rather amused, and maybe even delighted, that Edward admitted to having conspired with her son. The fact itself was naturally quite embarrassing, but the fact that he owned up to it was refreshing, and a little endearing. She'd expected the accusation to be firmly denied. He lost her a bit with the rambling metaphor about rivers and stones. His line about 'all Connlaothian society waiting years for this day,' however, left a bad taste in her mouth.

"Huh," she gave a little scoff, "this whole thing is in 'poor taste.'" Dahlia's expression stayed composed (for thankfully she'd regained enough of her composure during Edward's long ramblings), but had soured somewhat. And though her voice still held the utmost politeness (probably too polite), her words perhaps did not. "If the Grand Duke doesn't worry about offending 'all Connlaothian society' by throwing this rather vulgar ball while the nation sends her sons and husbands daily to war, and while taxes cripple much of the citizenry, you'll have to forgive me if I don't worry about offending him by not dancing. If that makes me a rock in the bottom of a river, so be it."

Dahlia realized that the chill in the air was not just from the wind, and she looked away from Edward for a moment back over the city. She used to be, she was sure, much better at filtering her derision. Or maybe she just used to be less bitter, less jaded. Before, perhaps, she hadn't needed to filter anything. Dahlia sighed; she'd left the Lord Bluebird standing ignored with his hand extended.

So she turned back to him with a small, apologetic smile, and took his hand. "You can see why my family wanted to push me back out into society. I'm sure my manners are much rustier than your dancing shoes."

visualspice

Edward, hardly offended by her words, but more worried about her own stability, offered her a sympathetic look that allowed her to know 'I know far too well what you mean'. Though he himself had not suffered by the war losses as she, he knew many others that did and had, during his time 'out' of society, being a comforting shoulder to those grieving widows he knew within his own family and social circle.

Taking her hand, he lifted it politely and kissed the top.
"We, by no means, have to dance, Lady Bird. I was simply hoping to make your son happy. He seems to be suffering from similar feelings such as your own."

kleineklementine

Edward might have raised Dahlia's spirits without realizing, or in a different manner than he might have expected. Because after he kissed her hand, Dahlia grinned: a small grin, but genuine and almost triumphant.

"Ah, so you finally admit it! I knew that little feather bag pushed you out here."

((Short post is short!))

visualspice

Edward gave a laugh and blush.
"Yes, but he asked me not to confess. And now I fear I might have broken his trust. What if he refuses to come visit my horses now? The horses would be rather lonely."

kleineklementine

Dahlia smiled, her eyes crinkling underneath her mask. "That's very noble of you to put yourself at such inconvenience to oblige a child. Though he can be rather insistent when he gets his mind on something, so I wouldn't blame you for taking the easy way out." Oh goodness, was she fishing for him to say something nice about her? The thought occurred to Dahlia rather suddenly, surprising her. It had been a long, long time since she'd flirted. Was she flirting? She wasn't even sure.

"Let's hope I'm better at keeping confidence than you are, and I'll do my best not to tell him how you betrayed his trust." She grinned. "And, anyway, we don't have horses. So you'd probably have to do worse than that to lose his interest now."

Dahlia looked sideways into the ballroom.

"Well," she said with a resignation that she didn't completely feel, "I suppose one dance wouldn't kill me. That is," her grey eyes returned to him knowingly, "if the offer still stands now that I found out your little plot."