Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Demon Hunter

Started by Esthalia, November 14, 2013, 01:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esthalia

The woman made her way over the group of men that had been discussing a situation before, embracing one of her before wailing out her problems. She turned to look in the direction her eyes had been shadowing, listening carefully to the words that were spilling wearily out of the distraught woman's blubber gob.

"Jaeden, It's...it's...my husband, and my boys!" She took in deep breaths between sobs, her words coming out erratically as she hugged her husband's friend. "They're after the bounty on the creature. He left me a note this morning and took both our boys. I...they...if she don't come home, I'll just die!" The men seemed to all know of her husband’s plight, for there were shouts of condolences as they comforted her.
There was a certain attractiveness to the dangerous mission that was laid out in front of her. The fact that she had been present when this conversation took place made it all the more perfect.

"Sounds like there is some extra coin to be earned..." Lamira said under her breath; the idea of battle giving her good bumps.

Lenobia approached the group across the way, interjecting in the middle of their conversation. He spoke loud and forcefully, commanding their attention. "Hey. Listen. Tell us where this creature is, tell us how much it's worth and my friends and I will return with its head." They turned their heads towards her and inspected him. At once the entire group roared with a boisterous laughter, calling out to her.

"You? You're tiny!"
"The beast would eat you in one bite."
"Go back to your home child, we don't need more deaths on our hands."

Normally, the insults would not bother Lenobia. These men, however, were insulting her combat ability without knowing anything about her and after the events of the past few years it was a rather sore subject.

She sprung in to action, bringing her elbow to the first man's face, extending the same arm forward and delivering her fist to the second man. She grasped the third man by the back of his head and pushed forward, driving the man's face down to the lacquered wood top. Pressing her hand, and summarily the man’s face, firmly against the table she brought her own head down to the level of the poor man's face.
"Now, tell me where to go and how much I’m getting paid."
The man delivered the information; somewhere on the River and thirty gold pieces for proof of the creature's death. Lenobia smiled contently as she released him, speaking to herself…

"I’ll eat first and then tackle the creature." The waitress arrived with perfect timing, bringing her two healthy plates of roasted meat and earthy vegetables. Lenobia sunk back down in to her chair and ripped in to the meaty chunk before her.

As the tree line faded, her target came in to view. Beyond her was everything that had been talked about in the tavern; there were three human figures fighting the most impossibly inhuman thing Lenobia had ever seen.

The creature’s base stood in the water, though it did not seem that it needed to. It was large and hulking, powerful front shoulders leading down to a series of jagged claws on each arm. Its head was nearly as large as Lenobia’s body, equipped with dangerous slits of eyes and rows of sharp teeth. Worst yet, off each arm and off its back were wild tentacles that searched through the air for a target to constrict and likely destroy.   

The three before her were doing battle with the thing, the smallest of the brothers standing far away with a bow and arrows, firing inaccurate shots at the terrifying creature. The father wielded a large claymore, and was a seemingly adept fighter. Even with the mighty weapon in hand he managed to duck and weave under its swipes and tentacle attacks, stinging back it at whenever he could.

The eldest of the two brothers bore a long sword and a large heater shield, though the shield seemed quite superfluous as he wouldn't be able to stand her ground against the giant thing's attack. The three rolled around the riverbed, avoiding the creature and firing what seemed like pointless attacks back in to it.

Lenobia watched excitedly as the vision of the tentacle beast lit a fire inside her. She slowed her horse quickly, a stubborn whinny coming she reared and reluctantly stopped. Horse tail flickered wildly as she got nervous, watching the battle unfold in front of her. Clicking hooves gave away the panicked equine heart as she Lenobia turned her to the side, blinding her. Lenobia stood up in the leather foot restraints and with a hoot of exhilaration, she jumped down; tying the reins to a tree stump located relatively close by.

The battle with this creature was taking too long. He could feel her muscles tiring as she watched the men: avoiding tentacles and claws and all manners of gnashing, destructive attacks. Striking back whenever they could, they weren’t making any significant progress aside from the first salvo and medium sized cuts on different stages of the beast's form.

Suddenly, there was an opening. Lenobia was able to wade in to the water by the thing's side. It turned towards the men issuing arrows and taunts; caught off-guard by Lenobia's sudden attack; rearing up and flailing wildly as she went on the offensive. Seizing the opportunity, Lenobia took off towards it in as much of a run as she could muster. He lifted her legs high, muscles burning as he churned through the water. The beast, suffering from the efforts of Lenobia, had pitched to the side and was leaning away from her, exposing its soft underbelly.

Grasping her newfound sword in both hands, he loosed all the air in her lungs and produced a growling, guttural noise as he plunged the blade in the creatures exposed flesh.

She ducked low in the waist high water, staying out of the thing's field of vision. Terrible roars were coming from it now. Its blood was filtering into river, staining the crystal blue water with a disgusting cloud of ever expanding blackness.

The beast emitted a high-pitched screech as the blade sunk in to its most vulnerable point. Lenobia' blade ripped further down its stomach, exposing her to acrid stench of the creature's insides.
As a latch ditch effort it swung a tentacle down at him, and being in waist high water he couldn't easily avoid it. It caught her clean across her midsection and flung her backwards, knocking the air out of her. her grip on the sword ended and it stuck out of its belly, the killing blow unfinished. However, the creature had never been in worse condition and was very clearly losing this battle.

Standing up in the shallow water, Lenobia inhaled deeply and pointed at the clearly dying creature. She was going to finish this thing even if it killed her!

Of course, in the end, It was Lenobia who walked away with a fat sack of coin, smiling wide as she took off with her horse to a upstream location where she could both clean up and make camp. She had to stay moving, for fear that she would miss a bounty elsewhere.

Brisinger987

Veskos' plan to terrorise was working perfectly. The beast he had set free was a lesser demon of his own dimension, confused as to what was prey and predator to it. It was instinctive. Not intelligent or even emotionally capable. Just pure death.

That was all Veskos had left, and as he watched the beast die, he pondered the girl who had killed it, and followed her movements from his own realm. She was interesting, and as much as he felt his usual urge to kill and maim, he found a beauty in this girl. A mortal predator to a demon.

She was fragile of body and mind, and yet she had the prowess and proficiency to slay demons as if they were nothing. It intrigued something more than the desire for the satisfaction of her death. He wanted to study, to examine and better prepare for people like her. People who could kill demons easily.

He wanted to know her mind, to know her soul. But he didn't feel up to an invasion today.

So instead, he took himself to her.

He stood across the stream she was cleaning her clothes in, and let out a ghastly sigh.

"Hello. I've been watching you for a while now." Veskos mask didn't appear to move at all as he spoke.

Esthalia

If the stench of monster blood wasn't enough, there was the stink of smoke and rotting flesh filling the air after dark. As soon as Lenobia gained her bounty money for killing the demon, she recommended the townspeople burn the corpse, on the chance that the smell might keep some other big baddies away.

Unfortunately for her, it also spooked off her appetite, leaving the young thing sitting by the river with a growling stomach and a nose full of lingering odor. No matter how long she hung around it, or how many times she had smelled it before, burning flesh-no matter the type- was disgusting to her.

Under the cover of darkness, Lenobia had guided her horse upstream a ways, setting up camp and tying up her only companion to a tree so nothing would scare him off. Ever since she was forced to leave home, he was the only one to stay by her side.

A loud growl of her stomach lifted Lenobia's attention away from her leather armor, halting her mid-scrub as she dropped the garment into the calm river water with an audible 'sploosh'. She had a strange feeling of company, but after turning her head to survey her make shift camp; she discovered nothing.

It wasn't until she had finished cleaning the blackened blood from her armor and was settling down by the fire that the masked man suddenly appeared.

"Wha-" Lenobia was cut off by just how quickly he had materialized that it caused her to roll backwards out of her cross legged sitting position and into a half crouched defensive. "you know, that's not really the best way to introduce yourself. Might have left out the stalker bit of that if you were looking for me to talk comfortably..." Her brown eyes narrowed at her sudden guest as she reached for her dagger as it lay on the ground.

"why are you following me?"

Brisinger987

The mask, still unmoving, emanated it's master's sounds to the world, perfectly still in the low light, glowing. Veskos' eyes shone their typical yellow through the night, clearly exhibiting he wasn't human.

"I have many a reason to follow you. You killed my creature, slaughtered it like cattle. You intrigue me. You are challenging. But the main one: because I can, and there is nothing you can do to tell me otherwise." Veskos didn't move. No bodily motion occurred. He just moved.

He left an illusion where she was, one that would disappear when she blinked, and he now stood behind her, now soundless.

"You are my prey... My subject... For now..." The message was psychic, and then he silently leant over and whispered in her ear.

"And I am you lord..."

Esthalia

"Your creature?" Lenobia clenched her jaw, keeping her eyes trained on the thing that stood before her. His yellow eyes gave away his demonic lineage, but Lenobia still wasn't sure what kind. Personally, it didn't matter, as long as he bled if she cut him.

"Your creature shouldn't have been so close to a village, let alone attacking people who travelled by the river" There was a click of her tongue against the roof of her mouth as her agrevation rose; why was she even discussing this with him?!

The demon hunter stood up, now facing the illusion he had left silently behind, jumping when she was suddenly being whispered to from behind. It was instinct that rattled her bones and caused the young woman to spin her body around, blade facing outward as a way of slashing at anything that could be so close behind her. If it hit him or not, she would leap backwards and take another defensive stance.

"You're nothing of the kind! Don't be foolish!"

Brisinger987

The blade hit him, and the wound that was created, as it was not one of his own design, would simply heal unless she hit him again.

"My creature... One of my subjects. He shouldn't have been here." He lied because the mask let him, not showing any emotion, except the mask's own emotions at the girl. The damned mask's eyes gently narrowed, which was almost noticeable.

"But he has died for it. In my realm he was immortal. Here he can die." Veskos simply watched the gash in his chest heal, wincing as muscles pulled and were sewn together.

"You are the fool not to feel the upcoming apocalypse. How many more demons have you killed since the start of the month compared to last month? I count twelve more." He pulled the information from the mind of the Watcher, an odd being that allowed Kirnardaz to view specific points in time if the user knew the time span they wanted to watch. And the face of the person.

Esthalia

The cut was not nearly as deep as she wanted it to be.

Lenobia stood there confidently, lifting her nose into the air while the man continued speaking, eyes washing over his masked face to look for any sort of glimpse of skin beneath it. When she couldn't see anything, she gave up and looked elsewhere; noting the healing wound and how the fibers of his muscle reattached.

"It shouldn't have been here in the first place. Blame it's death on youself" Lenobia glared at him, rolling her shoulders back and relaxing her body. "There is always an apocalypse, here or there. Someone is always pushing for the end of the world as we know it." Her deep brown eyes looked down to examine the blade she had cut him with, noting that there was no blood staining the tip.

"And with those people, indivisuals are born to stop them. If that's what you want; I'll be that person." She felt weary of how he knew the number of demons she had dismissed, but there was always a way of finding thigs out, especially when you've already been following someone for some time.

Brisinger987

"Well, there is a storm coming. Can you not feel it? Open your mind..." Veskos sent a beam of apocalyptic images from the Watcher, examining Kirnardaz's conquests over the last few thousand years.

"This time it's Earth's turn. Le'raana will burn, and all who live that are not of demon blood will be corrupted." Veskos' mask shifted more majorly, into a sinister grin. The eye's narrowed, and a strange buzz filled the air, coming from the mask.

"What is your name? I seem to have forgotten basic courtesy." Veskos sat at her camp set up, as if he was there as a friend.

Esthalia

The flashes of war and destuction left the Demon Hunter speechless, standing with a void expression free of any possible emotion. The images stopped even more suddenly than they began, leaving the young woman snarling at the stranger.

Lenobia looked even more offended that he settled down into her camp so easily, sitting down by her fire as if he were the one to light it. The huntress tossed her hair over her shoulder, crossing her arms over her chest and pushing out a hip to keep her annoyance known.

"And here I thought demon blood what corrupt enough..." She scoffed at him, turning her deep brown eyes away from his mask as if the sight disgusted her.

"You should know my name if you've been following me...Don't pretent like you've never heard it spoken before..."

Brisinger987

This woman wanted her name. Veskos sent another psychic message over to her. Only in the form of a spell. He took her name, and translated it letter for letter into the impossibly complex language he had been born to know.

There wasn't any written form of this language, only it's powerful spoken effect. The spell wouldn't be something she would be able to hear. Instead the spell was designed to flood her mind with her own memories. Of everything she could remember.

"I know your name. I know it's power in my language. I know everyone's name in my language. The key to your soul. And here is mine." He gave her his name in his language. It came out the same as it was in human tongues. Veskos.

My name is Veskos. Knowing this girl's name had taken him the past Voraxian year. 6 months. It was difficult, examining each letter. Each syllable and sound. And translating it. But he had time.