Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

War Stories (Closed)

Started by nahash, December 07, 2013, 11:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nahash

Out side the wind was howling out in the darkness of the night.  Intermittently a cold rain would fall only to be whipped by the wind like tiny daggers.  Inside the small roadside pub and inn a roaring fire was going trying to drive back the cold night.  The common room was unusually crowded as travelers who would normally have chosen to sleep in their wagons or out under the stars and save a few coin now sought refuge for the night.

At the bar a man of middle age hunched over his drink of hot spiced wine.  Water still dripped from his green military uniform marking him as a late arrival.  With a tired sigh he ran his hand through his red/brown hair which he had let down for once to promote faster drying.

Nomad

Sighing softly, Irving reaches up and runs a hand through his hair as he pushes it back, the rain water having drenched him to the bone and he could say he did not take to kindly to the rain at times, this being one of them. As he moved through the rain Irving could see the building that had become his destination, a nice looking roadside pup, though at the moment anything that would get him out of the rain would work as long as he could get some time to dry off and warm up.

Letting his hand drop back to his side Irving sloshes through the soaked earth closing the remaining distance between him and his destination. The first respite from the rain came in the form of the awning that extended out from the front of the building. He did not stop when coming under the protection of the awning, no he continued to move forward and pushed open the door as he steps into the pub, coming to a stop as he steps through the door and lets it shut behind him.

" By Ansgar, it's coming down out there, " Irving grumbles to himself as he looks down at his soaked clothing. Though he felt like removing his clothing so they could begin to dry and he could dry as well he knew that such action could not be taken at the moment since he was not in the privacy of a room but rather in the company of others. Lifting his gaze he glances around for a brief moment as he begins to step forward once again and makes his way to the bar before taking a seat next to a older looking gentleman.

nahash

Soules broke his steady gaze away from the wooden mug that he had been staring absently into as some movement behind him caught his attention.  A cold breeze rushed in as someone opened the door and let he damp night rush in.  Looking over his shoulder he saw a younger man walk up to the bar and wordlessly take the empty stool beside his.  "I take it the rain has not stopped" he remarked to the man with a hint of sarcasm.  It only took one look at the poor lad to tell him that it was still raining and by the looks of it he guessed the rain had actually picked up since he had taken shelter at the bar.

Nomad

Having taken refuge at the bar Irving finally got a moment to relax and he appreciated it since he was no longer outside. Upon hearing the man beside him begin to speak Irving shifts his gaze and glances to the man out of the corner of his eye while listening to the man's comment. Turning his gaze from the man again he gives a faint nod while he begins to speak, " Yes, " he starts setting his gaze ahead, " and unfortunately it seems the rain may not be letting up though I do hope it does. " he ends with a soft sigh.

Looking ahead Irving watches as the bartender makes his way over " What can I get for you? " the bartender asks looking at the new patron. With the question from the man, Irving pauses for a brief moment before speaking up, " I'll take some water. " he says with a nod finding it rather funny that he was ordering water considering it was raining so much outside, a thought that made Irving chuckle lightly. With the answer the bartender moves away from in front of Irving and goes to retrieve his drink.

nahash

Soules now turned in his stool to get a better look at the man who had taken up residence beside him.  "Oh, do we have someplace we need to be" Soules remarked jokingly at the younger mans apparent eagerness to be on his way.  "sit down and relax, the night has all but set in already and it's not smart to travel after dark anyways, lots of bandits out these days." he said, a sad note colored his voice as if it was painful or unpleasant to speak of the bandits.

He glance between the new patron and the bartender and back again.  A look of confusion set on his face.  He would never have imagined ordering a glass of water a the bar, doubly so when he was cold and wet.  "might I suggest the spice wine, it is served warm and does well to banish the cold from your bones"  He said taking a drink from his mug.

Nomad

After he had ordered his drink Irving turns his attention back to the man that sat next to him. " That does sound good, " he says with a faint nod, " I don't really drink to often and I thought of starting with some water before seeing where things go. " Irving finishes. He keeps his gaze fixed on the man for a moment before he shifts his gaze as he turns in his seat a bit to look back at the door leading into the pub.

" Yeah, and when I think about the bandits I can't help but worry about those who cannot defend themselves against them. " Irving says with a sigh before turning his attention back to the bar, noticing the bartender had brought him the drink he had asked for. " Part of me wants to be out there dealing with them. " he says with a nod while he takes hold of the cup of water and brings it to his lips before taking a sip.

nahash

Soules raised an eyebrow at the response he received.  It always pricked his interest when someone talked about dealing with bandits even if it was normally little more than empty words.  He set his mug down on the table and folded his hands on the bar; his full attention now on the man in front of him.  "If you want to fight bandits I can be of some assistance but I warn you, they don't fight clean.  Like caged animals they are" He said, self-consciously fingering his eye patch that covered his ruined left eye.   "I'm Soules by the way, Soules Jolon Captain of the Ajhfeld Long Patrol"  He continued and held out his arm in greeting.

Nomad

After taking a sip from the cup of water Irving set the cup back onto the bar in front of him. Hearing the man beside him begin to speak, he again glanced to the man from the corner of his eye as he listened to the man speak. The gesture from the man caused Irving turn in his seat some and get a good look at the man and that is when he got a good look at the outfit the man wore. Along with seeing the man's outfit, he listens as the man introduces himself as Soules Jolon a member of the same military as he, though Irving was not dressed in his military attire.

" Captain Jolon Sir, " Irving says as he looks at the man " I am Irving, Irving Myers. " he says with a nod as he reaches out with a free hand and takes hold of Soules' wrist in a greeting " And like you I am a member of the military though I am not in uniform, though I am not a Captain. "

nahash

"It is a pleasure to meet you Mister Irving Myers" Soules said as he grasped his forearm in the customary greeting. "I had you picked as a military man but all the men here have some military training and I did not want to assume too much" he rested his arms back on the bar and folded his hands again.  "What province do to serve in if you don't mind me asking?" He asked, glad that he had met someone who he shared something in common with.  He had been fight in the name of the duke since he was old enough to enter into the service and so he knew very little outside of the military and fighting.

Nomad

Holding onto Soules' forearm in a greeting, Irving listens to the man as he speaks. Keeping his gaze Soules for a moment, Irving gives a faint nod in response to his comment about the military before he releases his grasp upon his forearm and turns to face the bar. Turning to face the bar again Irving reaches out and takes hold of the cup of water and brings it to his lips before taking another sip of its contents. As he takes a sip of water he listens as Soules asks another question, inquiring as to where he comes from this time. Pulling the cup from his lips, he glances to Soules again as he begins to speak up " I am from Matron's Hallow, " he answers before turning his gaze from the man " What of you? " he asks, turning the question back on Soules before taking another sip of water.

nahash

Soules only spoke up when he was ask a question before that his gaze was fixed on Irving.  "So you're from the heartland then, I hail from Riders Keep in southern Ajhfeld now but I have served throughout Connlaoth," he pause long enough to take a long drink from his spiced wine "aah" he gave a satisfied sigh now that his throat had been wetted he continued "  I was actually riding for Reajh when this storm set in and drove me from the road." 

Nomad

After taking another sip from his cup Irving sets it back down on the bar and glances to Soules again for a brief moment as the man begins to speak. Listening to Soules, Irving gives a faint nod to the statement about living in the heartland. Shifting his gaze from Soules, he continues to listen to him as he answers the question. Gazing down at the remaining bit of water in his cup, Irving remained silent for the time being as he dwelled a moment on what Soules had said while listening to the man as he continues to speak. Lifting his gaze, Irving gives a nod " Yeah, this rain will drive anyone with any lick of sense to take shelter, " he said as he took hold of his cup once again " I was out enjoying the day when it began to rain and forced me to find refuge, perhaps for the remainder of the night. "

nahash

Soules looked away from his company but keep an ear fixed on what he was saying.  With a small wave of a hand held a loft he called over a bar maid.  He leaned over and spoke softly into her ear "be a doll and bring me some warm bread and some soft cheese, make that two plates so my friend here may eat as well".  He gestured at Irving with his thumb over his shoulder when he mentioned him.  The maid nodded and back away silently as she went to fetch his order.

With food on the way Soules returned his full inattention to Irving. "But come now the rain is not all that bad, there is  good company and a warm spot to dry out" He said with a small chuckle.  "so tell me how long have you been serving and have you have you seen much real combat."

Nomad

Lifting the cup from the table Irving brought it up and finished off the remainder of the liquid it contained. Lowering the cup he looked to the bar maid as she came over once Soules had gestured for her. With his cup having become empty he thought of having her fetch him some more water or perhaps something else to drink. Hearing Soules as he made a request for food, Irving dwelled on the thought of food he indeed was hungry however before he could really speak of ordering something to eat Soules made mention of bringing two plates so Irving knew he did not have to ask for her to bring him some food as well.

Though the food seemed to be covered Irving did take a moment to request more to drink before the bar maid took her leave. Listening to Soules speak again, Irving nodded in response to what he had to say. " Indeed it isn't all that bad, " he says glancing back to the man sitting next to him " Do bandits count as real combat? " he inquires while looking at Soules, a light smirk taking form on his face.

nahash

"In the heartland you might only have petty thugs but in the north where the provinces don't have the standing armies to properly patrol the bandits are a real threat.  They are well trained and well equipped. Hell one of them took my eye and nearly my life with it" he replied in a serious but good natured tone.  There was a real bandit problem up north but the Crown tried their best to down play it so most people were unaware of how bad is really was.

Nomad

Turning his gaze from the man sitting next to him while listening to him speak again. Looking down at the bar Irving listens to the male and knew what he had to say was true. As Soules continues to speak Irving remains silent and listens to the man while he talks of the north. At the mention of losing his eye, he again glanced to Soules giving the man more of his attention. " I see, " Irving begins as he looks at Soules a moment longer before turning his gaze back to the bar, " I would go there in a heart beat to try and make a difference... Even if it was a futile effort I would still do what I could to help. No man, woman, or child should be made to suffer at the hands of bandits or any other of the likes that wish to do harm. "

nahash

Soules grinned, it was refreshing to see someone this some passion "If you really want to make a difference I would like to invite you to come to Riders Keep and join my men there we specialize in hunting bandits." He offered, turning to glance at Irving as he spoke before returning to his drink.  About that time the bar maid returned with two plates of food.  Each plate had a large loaf of toasted wheat bread and a small bowl of soft white goat's cheese that fresh herbs mixed in.  Soules waited for the maid to set the plates down then retrieved a few coins from his coin purse.  "this is for the food" he said handing her two small copper coins "and this is for you dear" he continued, handing her another coin.

Nomad

Gazing down at the bar, Irving listens to Soules as he begins to speak again, offering a place in his ranks. Listening to the offer, Irving found it be a rather enticing proposal to him. Though he had been given the offer, Irving knew that not only did he have to think upon it but also the repercussions of his actions as well. With the return of the bar maid, Irving glances to her as she brings the food Soules had asked for, with two plates of bread and cheese.

Looking to the food that the bar maid had brought them, Irving could hear his stomach grumbling lightly as his desire for food grew at the sight of food. Lifting his gaze, he glances to Soules for a moment as the man pays for the food, both plates of food as apposed to a single one, and gives a little extra to the bar maid. Setting his attention back on the food Irving closes his eyes for a brief moment before opening them again and reaching out to tear off a bit of the toasted wheat bread. " I do appreciate the offer, " Irving begins as he glances to Soules " Though I will need some time to think on it. "

nahash

Turning his attention to the plate of food before him, Soules torn of a chunk of the toasted beard and taking a knife spread some of the fresh cheese on it.  Bringing it to his lips he took a bite and chewed slowly as he savored the flavors.  He washed to bite down with the last of his wine and set his now empty cup well forward on the bar so the barkeep would notice.  Looking up at the man beside him he gave him an acknowledging nod.  "Take all to time to think about it as you want and if you choose on to join us I still invite you to visit Riders Keep if you ever find yourself up in Ajhfeld." He spoke articulating his word with the piece of bread that he still held.

Nomad

After he spoke he turns his attention to the bit of bread he had taken from the portion on his plate and slips the bit into his mouth before he begins to chew it up. Already he gave though to the offer of going to Riders Keep to deal with bandits. Chewing up the bit of bread he tears off a bit more of the bread before picking up the knife on his plate and uses it to scoop up a bit of the goat cheese. After getting a bit of the cheese he spreads it on the piece of bread, glancing to Soules as he begins to speak one again. Listening to Soules' speak, Irving gives a faint nod as he turns his attention back to the bread in his hand as he swallows the bit he had been chewing. " Perhaps I shall come up to Ajhfeld and see what it is like, " He says with a nod " I will try and not make you wait to long for an answer. " He added before he slipped the next piece of bread into his mouth to enjoy it much as he had done the first.