Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

War Stories (Closed)

Started by nahash, December 07, 2013, 11:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nahash

"There is no rush, take all the time you want hell I won't be back there for a while yet.  I still have to go to the capital and there is no telling how long I'll be held up there".  He alternated between taking bites of bread and using it to punctuate his words.

The barkeep notice Soules' empty glass and refilled it with a ladle full of warm wine from near the roaring fire.  The barkeep brought back the glass and sat it down in front of Soules.  Soules in turn pulled a coin out and laid on the bar before taking his drink and nod of thanks to the barkeep.

Nomad

Listening to Soules as he spoke again, Irving swallowed the next bit of bread before he took another bite, enjoying the meal before him. Having taken a smaller bite this time, he finishes it off before speaking up, " I see. What are you going to the capital for? " he asks, glancing to Soules for a moment before he turns his gaze from the male, though he knew Soules may not be able to answer him and if that were the case he understood.

" Perhaps when you go back I will join you in your travels. We shall see though. " He ends with a nod as he turns his full attention back to his meal and gets a bit more of the goat cheese and puts it on another piece of bread before stuffing it into his mouth and beginning to chew it up.

nahash

Soules listened to the questions directed towards him and took a moment to pick his words before answering. He gaze was focused on his plate. "I am not sure of the details t be honest I just know that a lot of the command staff have been summoned to the capital" He shifted his gaze to Irving as he continued t speak.  "If I had to reason a guess I would say it had to have something to do with the growing unrest dealing with the mages and magic after the late Duke was killed by a mage or so they say."  his tone of voice was more serious then be fore to match the serious nature of the subject at hand.

Nomad

Chewing the bit of bread he had just stuffed into his mouth up, he listens as Soules begins to speak once again, answering the question he had asked the man. As he listened to Soules while enjoying the bread he reaches out and begins to tear the remainder of the bread he had into smaller bits for consumption in the near future. Once he had the bread toren into smaller bits he takes a piece of bread and begins to put some goat cheese on it as Soules switches topics and begins to speak of the unrest in their home country. Swallowing the bit of bread he had been chewing Irving gives a faint nod " I see, " He says, glancing to Soules now that the man was looking at him, " Perhaps it will not be nothing to serious. "

nahash

Soules scooped up the last of the soft cheese with his knife and spread it on the stub of bread he was holding then threw the whole thing into his mouth.  He chewed the large mouthful slowly as he listened to Irving.  "I hope your right, there is way too much suffering as it is"he replied than paused to take a drink before changing paces again.  "so tell me a little more about you, you got an got stories"

Nomad

With the last bit of his bread, Irving takes a small bite and begins to chew on it as he looks down at the bar before him. Hearing Soules speak, he gives a faint nod to what the man had to say about the suffering going on in their homeland. " Yes, " their is a brief pause before he continues to speak " Their has been to much suffering. " he ends with a dejected sigh. Though he knew what was being done was something that had to be done, that did not mean he did not feel good about it. " My stories, " He begins, lifting his gaze to glance back to Soules " I'm afraid are probably not as good as your stories. "

nahash

"I'm sure you have some good tales bu I won't pry if you don't wan to share.  As for me, I have a life time of violence and pain like when I lost eye." he paused to gather his thoughts  "I was young, only in my 23rd summer and had yet to gain any real rank.  It was a foggy winter morning, we where investigating a report hat a caravan had been attacked.  We found the caravan a broken mess, all around it were bodies of both the caravan guards and bandits spread out over a large distance. From within on of the wagons there was muffled cries.

There was five of us in the riding and we slit up to search the wreckage for survivors.  There was nothing but corpses or so we thought. We let our guard down.  Turns out not all of the corpses were dead.  The bandits had disguised themselves as dead bodies and laid in wait.  While had our backs turned, the bandits go up and charged us.  I heard the rush of foots step and turned around right as one aimed a blow at my head.  I dodged back but was not quite fast enough.  His blade caught me on the brow and tore a nasty gash down my face." his winced a little as he remember the pain of hat day so long ago.

Nomad

As Soules begins to speak, Irving remains silent and listens to the man's account of what had happened to him that caused him to lose his eye. While listening to Soules' story, he works to finish off the rest of his bread and cheese. Listening to Soules, he thought upon the trick the bandits had used to get catch Soules and his comrades by surprise. Though he thought it was affective, he also felt that it was a dirty trick to appear as the dead to catch others by surprise.

Given the situation, he could see how they were caught by surprise by the bandits, they had laid in wait for them, or at least it seemed as though they did that, though perhaps they were waiting on more caravaners to rob. As he finishes speaking, Irving gives a faint nod " I see, " he says, glancing to Soules for a moment " That is some story. And a rather painful sounding one. Though I have not lost anything yet. I to have felt the kiss of cold steel as it slices into you. "

nahash

Soules glanced at Irving before shifting his gaze to his cup.  Giving a thoughtful sigh he spoke earnestly "That is a feeling I will never get over, sometimes it's as though I can still feel the blade."  He leaned back in his stool shaking his head sighing again, this time sounding much more tire.  He took his cup and drank deeply of the spiced wine that had long since cooled to lukewarm.  Cup still in hand he brought his arm up to cover his mouth as he gave a tremendous yawn. "Oh pardon me, my drink seems to has caught up with me and now that I am well fed I'm starting to feel very road weary." He said, leaning forward he sat his cup down then leaned back in his stool.

Nomad

Listening to Soules as he speaks of still feel the blade sometimes. He wasn't completely sure how the man felt given he had not lost anything, though he understood what he was saying. Something like that is hard to forget. Looking to Soules for a moment, Irving felt somewhat fortunate that he had not lost anything yet though he knew he was not out of the woods by a long shot, he still had time to go before he figured he would be out of the woods in regards to battle scars.

With his gaze on Soules still he watches the male as he drank from his drink before moving an arm over his mouth before letting out a yawn. Seeing that Soules was tired, Irving figured turning in for the night was a good idea given the weather out side. He was not going to be able to travel or at least travel with out getting soaked to the bone more and risking getting sick. Shaking his head faintly at what Soules had to say Irving spoke up " It's quite alright. I know how a drink can get the better of you and the prospect of some rest is very enticing. "

nahash

Soules squelched another yawn.  "You are right, a little sleep is a very inviting idea, and since I have to be back on the road at first light I think I'll going to call it a night".  He said as he stood up.  He took his cup and finish off then turned to Irving.  "Irving my good sir it was good to meet you" he held out his hand to shake.  "until we meet again, may fortune and luck be with you". Taking his leave, Soules waved to the barkeep and then made his way to the stairs that led up to his room.

Nomad

With the idea of rest now on his mind Irving nods his head faintly while listening to Soules, the same idea seeming to be on the man's mind as well, sleep. " Indeed, " He says as he watches Soules stand from his seat. Shifting in his seat he turned to face Soules as he spoke up again. Reaching out he took hold of Soules' hand, shaking it in a friendly manner. " It was good meeting you. Until we meet again. " He says and watches Soules head off to what he figured was a room he had. After Soules had left Irving remains at the bar for a bit longer before slipping the bartender some coin and then heading up stairs to a room of his own for the night.