Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Wheels and Chains (Open)

Started by Cynric Venari, December 26, 2013, 03:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cynric Venari

The moon shone bright and high, illuminating the rolling hills of western Falkenrath in a pale, eerie glow. The wind was stiff but intermittent, a light harbinger of the coming season of storms. The landscape was bare, save for a light path of dirt, beaten onto the face of the earth through years of use.

A wagon trundled across the hills, the squeak of its ancient wheels and the steady trot of the horses disturbing the peace of the night. The wagon was flanked by a horseman either side, with another riding in the van. The men atop the beasts were upright in the saddle, and alert despite the late hour, their hands never straying from their unsheathed weapons.

The wagon itself was low sitting and open, with five figures slouched in the back, huddled together for warmth. The group was silent, as were their guards, making the grinding, rhythmic sound of travel oppressive in the otherwise silent night.

Rukh sat next to the wagon driver, a raddled old merchant in new but ill fitting clothes. The acrobat was bored - she had signed on as a caravan guard three weeks ago, money was running low and she neededto save for the impending windy season. The ride had been uneventful; the caravan was carrying twine and felt and was not the most attractive target for brigands, until the young, enterprising leader of the outriders had happened upon an enclave of people. The presence of a badge on two of their cloaks had sealed their fate - they had been corralled, tied and bundled into the wagon to be handed over to the authorities.

Rukh sighed. She was unconvinced as to the supposed treachery of the prisoners - why would mages make themselves so easily identifiable if they were subversives? It didn't make sense. Still, she itched to talk to them, to see if they had any information relevant to her search.

Her hands tightly clutched the hilt of her sword, which was between her legs, as she fought the urge to leap into the back of the wagon and begin an interrogation.

Slace

The moonlight was beautiful. It danced upon his raven hair as he walked along the road. The dirt crunched loudly with each step. He moved alone and purposeless this night. That was until he stumbled upon a group of travelers. Ryans attire very obviously displayed his crest. The warlord stood in front of the caravan and alowed the moonlight to hit the omega symbol upon his mighty breast. He stood there with his body in a wide horse stance. he was currently unarmed and definitely not dressed for battle. But the caravan would stop as was the nature of humans. or they would run him over as was the nature of humans. it was hard to say but what was easy to tell was Ryan was in the way. And obviously not going anywhere anytime soon.

Assuming they stopped he would approach the guards and their wagon with a friendly smile. "Hello, Might I ask what it is you are doing out alone on these roads at night?" His voice was deep and seductive. One could fall into it. But if they recognized the mans crest they would know his identity. Ryan was always composed. nobody ahd ever seen him lose his focus. But if one offended him they would be destroyed by his entire mobile force. Yet what was odd was. if they recognized him they would most likely wonder where his forces were. why did he travel alone this night? it was unknown.

This was connloath, a land that despised mages. The large amount of guards and the fearful prisoner sin the back would tell ryan everything he needed to know. " I see that you have mages in your custody. I would be appreciative if you would allow me a few moments to analyze them. and possibly analyze some of you as well." he smiled that sickly sweet smile at them. His face was angelic but his intentions were not. The mages if useful would be taken by ryan. if any of the guards proved useful they would be recruited. He walked up and simply looked at the prisoners waiting. it was as if he was waiting for somebody to react. perhaps a certain acrobat who would not know who ryan was?
(OOC: crappy post i know. sorry ill give you a decent one next.))

Cynric Venari

The wagon ground to a halt, the old axles whining, as the merchant caught sight of the man on the road. Rukh's eyes narrowed as she studied him in the moonlight. He was physically imposing, not least by his stance. He was unarmoured, but exuded authority. His words were curt and dictatorial, as if he were used to having them followed immediately. Rukh disliked him at once.

Elias, the rider in the van, slowly trotted towards the figure, halting some ten feet in front. As he did this, the two riders on the flanks fanned out left and right. Elias was a brash young man, and had assumed the role of leader in their weeks of travel. He was lean, and fast, and bullheaded. His hand curled around his sword, but did not draw it.

"We are to deliver these mages to the Duke of Falkenrath, or to his justices." the young soldier replied, somewhat haughtily "If you could produce some proof as to your position within the Duke's force, I would be happy to oblige. Otherwise, I would ask you to step aside."

Rukh winced. It was like watching two bulls about to lock horns - both needing to prove their authority. Elias wasn't hot headed, but he did have a temper - she had seen him thrash troublemakers at least twice on the journey. But this had a different air to it.

Rukh dismounted from the wagon, the chain around her waist clanking as she leapt lightly to the ground. She straightened, but stayed near the wagon. Her sheathed sword was in her hand, ready to draw in case of trouble.

Slace

Ryan was a warlord considered on par with a nobleman, a royal even. He pulled out a signed document giving him authorization to do as he had asked. it was completely forged but they would not be able to tell. Before handing it to the man before him however ryan would throw a rapid punch stopping inches before the mans face. he would be either intimidated or ignore it completely. after showing the man his papers ryan would move on with his business.

after a few moments he deemed the mages unremarkable and gestured to the guards and merchants. "as is my duty i shall accompany you on your way to turn in these renegades." Ryan would walk along side the caravan and eventually climb into the front and sit between the driver and the swordswoman.

Ryan would turn towards her and smile gently. "i am quite sorry about that. i am looking for something very specific and was hoping these mages could help." he smiled and gestured towards her hands. "from what i can see you are quite tense. you either wants answers or want violence. ill let you and all your friends make the choice now if you would like to."

Ryan was likely in favor of answers as he had avoided turning the fight with the human into a full confrontation. he had placed his papers back into his clothes and his personal crest was on bright display in the moonlight. He had an other-worldly air about him. and despite his previous attitude of superiority he seemed to be a rather negotiable person. And while not able to fully read the thoughts of other he was able to sense a desire for violence. and what she wanted to do with the mages was most decidedly that.

Cynric Venari

The acrobat watched the exchange between the stranger and Elias intently. She couldn't read, and she doubted Elias could either, but the document looked official enough. The young soldier flinched at the feinted punch, but didn't pursue the aggression further. She calmly lowered her sword, and returned to her place next to the merchant.

The old man hawked and spat, but said nothing. He obviously had a distaste for nobles. His eyes followed the man, and he gave a shallow nod in greeting. Rukh did nothing save watch him as he inspected the prisoners. She sidled up to the edge of the seat, giving the stranger room to sit. She turned only her head to him, their gazes locking, as he spoke. She paused for a heartbeat or two, before she replied.

"It has been a long journey, with no hazards as of yet." her tone was neutral, almost monotone "I feel it on the wind, as if something is yet to occur."

She left it at that, not wishing to stonewall the man but equally not wanting to reveal her intentions.