Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Oh, My Goddess!!!

Started by visualspice, January 03, 2014, 05:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Layana was about to ready to conjure the healing warmth to her hands, fingers delicately moving across his broke limb, but at his inquiry as the island and outside sources, her head raised suddenly.
"The Yoreiqi Isles, as far as I know, are rarely frequently by such kingdoms. But.. Serendipity you say? That's.. that's the nation that borders Connlaoth, to it's North? Is it not?" And her eyes carried a sparkle of curiosity with them, as she studied his face and his closed eyes.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Jocelyn's head perked up, and he nodded with a slight grin, pleased to see that she was as curious as he. The beads of water had pretty much dried from his face now, but his hair was still a matted birds nest on top of his head.

"That's correct. Connlaoth is to the north of Serendipity, separated by a long mountain range. They share a border but their cultures are decidedly different. Connlaothians have very strong opinions about those who use magic. We in Serendipity, of course, embrace it."

His eyes opened just a crack and stared off at nothing in particular. "Have you ever been?"

visualspice

Layana froze at his inquiry. The hesitation was there, evidently so, as her mind whirled back to the memories of her childhood. She was old enough when her ship wrecked here not to forget it, nor her language, but still young enough not to wish to venture out beyond the tribes. She knew not a great deal about the island, and had no clue of the trade the islands made in the Northern side of the island but here? Here it was it's own thing and trying to get to the other half of the island would take some effort. So she had remained content there for all of these years. After all, she was a big help, the people here thought she was a goddess and.. how cool was that? Though the idea wore on her, she was knee deep in it already. How long had it been anyway?
Thankfully, their language wasn't too hard to pick up, and they accepted her willingly. Perhaps too much. Though it HAD been a prophecy.. who was she to speak up against that? ANd by now, she basically thought of this place as home, even if she missed where she had come from.

"I uh.." when her mind came back, she found herself shaking her head. But right! He was blind.
"Can't say I've ever been!" Though it was an obvious lie if she ever gave one, but instead of keeping them on the subject, she refocused her efforts on his arm.

"Now this might feel weird, but can you hold your arm out for me? Yeah, just like that. My magic takes some time to conjure,but you'll be right as rain in no time!"

Furrowing her brow, she kept her blue eyes upon the mangled arm and focused.. focused, focused as her hand hoovered over it and a small ball of light began to glow from her palm. At first, Jocelyn would feel the warmth, and then, perhaps, even sense the light as it cascading out from her palm and danced through her finger tips and splayed across the arm in question. She closed her eyes then, channeling the energy from herself, into him, and he'd feel the warmth wash over his arm, then across his body before the warmth settled into his skin, his veins, and even the bone. And just as things began to shift- he'd feel something peculiar tickle him on the inside, then the light was gone.
And his arm- healed.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Although he couldn't see her, Jocelyn heard the obvious hesitation in her voice when she answered. He said nothing, just sat there pensively deciphering her answer. Had she ever left the island before? If so, it must've been a rare occurrence. He'd never heard of a Yoreiqi native on the mainland before.

It was when she began casting her magic that his jaw really dropped.

Though his vision was just an infinite space of black, suddenly a small luminescent presence began to take form in the middle of the void. The swirling threads were difficult to describe, but they began accumulating in what could only be described as a light growing brighter and brighter until they filled the very shape of her body, forming what one might describe as her silhouette in light. He watched as the threads of magical energy thread together in unimaginable ways, form impossible lattices and travel down her silhouette to where her fingertips hovered over his own arm.

The light show passed through her fingertips and into his arm and he felt its essence pierce him to his very core, warming his skin and bones and deeper. That tickle in his arm matched perfectly with the way the magic danced through him in a way he'd never experienced before.

And then, just like that, the light faded and his vision dimmed back into its usual darkness. He sat there dumbfounded even as he slowly tested his right arm by lifting it several inches in the air. Then he slowly and carefully rotated it and flexed his fingers. There was no pain.

He turned his head to face her direction then, blind eyes now wide in awe. Slowly and gingerly he reached out to gently touch her extended fingertips.

"By the Gods, I've never seen anything like that before. The patterns of energy were so intricate, the way you manipulated the magic so unique. I... I can't even begin to describe it!"

He leaned forward and 'stared' at her, completely forgetting his manners. "Incredible."

visualspice

At his enthusiasm, she was taken back. Sure, she was used to praise but this man was different, and his words only proved that. Here, he was talking about the sensations, the patterns of how her magic worked, and how exquisite they were and well, it left Layana little more than blushing.

"Er, you know, a thank you is just fine," she said, her voice a bit anxious. She, after all, didn't know how to digest his description. The way he was rattling on.... her cheeks heated again. Yeah.. this was just awkward, and so was her just staring at his milky-white eyes. Blinking, she turned sheepishly away.
"Oh, I don't think it's that unique..." Though as she bit her lips, she was contemplating how to explain to him. You know... about the whole... Goddess thing. Would he believe her too? Or would she be left explaining herself to her family, the entire tribe?

"ANd how is it that you even see at all? I mean.... you're not wearing the magical scarf, or whatever.... how is it that you even saw my powers?" And she leaned curiously towards him, the boat bobbing just a bit beneath her shifted weight.

Cambie

What was he to make of this girl? Her mannerisms were so familiar, and yet... the way she manipulated her magic was so different from anything he'd seen before. These islanders were beginning to pique a great interest in Jocelyn now, and he thought briefly about how maybe being shipwrecked here wasn't such a bad thing. Maybe he could study their culture, learn their magical secrets.

Not seeing that she leaned forward, he too leaned closer. Perhaps it wasn't in his eyes, but the look of wonder wasn't hard to miss. "I just saw it. I mean I've always been able to sense magic in people and in objects, since I was little. It's like... I could feel where you were and what you were doing when you cast your spell. That's what I do, you know, I travel the world studying magic and how different cultures use it, and how people of ancient times used it. I unearth magical artifacts and try to unlock their mysteries."

The overturned bear still lay on its side nearby and he turned now to try and upright it, though trying to do so without overturning the boat took too much effort. Eventually he gave up on it and just let the Akya-Akya totem lay there on its side, patting it lovingly on its wooden head. What had she called it? Jeremy? How could he tell his savior that the bear was one of his artifacts?

"This is one of the artifacts I dug up. It's magic, you know. I just don't know what it does yet."

Getting the impression that he wasn't making any sense, he frowned slightly and shook his head. Lifting up the silken Cloth up in his hand, he held it out for her. "I am blind though. I 'see' magic but I cannot see like you do. That's what this is for. It's hard to explain, and even harder to understand, but if you want to close your eyes and try it for yourself."

visualspice

As he leaned forward, she blushed at how close they'd become, and was relieved when he finally backed away, fussing over the bear (which she was about to protest over), but instead, fumbled over her dress and dusted off some invisible dirt on her arm. THough when he offered to let her see through his scarf, she blinked and looked down at it, nearly cross eyed before looking up at him.
"Are you... sure that's safe?" Or sanitary...

Cambie

The nod from Jocelyn was as confident as they came, though when she hesitated his outstretched hand fell slightly. Perhaps she was still wary of him, and perhaps he should've been wary of her as well. After all, they were meeting in the oddest of circumstances. Him washing onto these shores like a piece of driftwood, her minding her own business in whatever ritual she was performing. By all accounts, he shouldn't even be speaking to this one, but his curiosity had firmly taken a hold.

"I should hope it's safe," he answered her, head tilting to one side. "It's had no negative effects on me all these years. No, it's perfectly fine, trust me." Aside from his social ineptitude, though that was more a personal thing than the result of any magical item.

"Or unless you'd rather get on with your... ritual, you said it was?" He still didn't get that one.

visualspice

Ritual?! Erp- right..
ritual. She had almost forgotten about it, and peering up at the sky, she had to wonder how it still was evening! Would the sun never set on Yoreiq? Shaking her head, she turned back to him.

"No, well yes, I sitll have this.. er.. ritual to perform, though I don't suppose any harm could come from viewing things through a magical scarf. BUt er,." and here she hesitated. "HOw does it work? I mean, I'm no dummy, you just explained it but I ... just.. you know.. close my eyes and tie it around my head?"

Gods, she hoped no one would see her when she did it- but truthfully, she was curious and hey- why the heck not? What else was she going to do? Talk to Jeremy?

Cambie

"I see," Jocelyn said hastily, not wanting to interfere with the girl's work. After all, he'd already occupied her enough for one afternoon, having to save his sorry blind behind twice.

"I mean, I don't see. I just... as far as I know, all you do is wrap it around your eyes, and you'll be able to understand how I perceive the world. Here, you can take a peek in the Cloth and then I'll row myself to shore, take the bear and let you get on with your work. I already owe you my life, I don't need to be interrupting this ritual of yours as well."

He WAS curious about her and her culture now though, the more she spoke of it. And he'd be in the area anyway, trying to comb through the wreckage of his boat and try to salvage whatever remained. He'd need food and shelter as well... this would be a tricky night.

visualspice

"Er.. to shore?.. right..."
Crap! What was she going to do about that? She wasn't supposed to go anywhere near the shore, and then- wait, what? DId he just say he wanted to take the bear?
Furrowing her brows, her eyes then fell upon the clothe- oh right..
the stinky clothe.

Sighing, which sounded like a most unlady like sigh, she fetched onto it.
"Don't worry about my ritual. It's nothing so intense." And examining the scarf, she still felt skeptical of it, and hesitated, not quite putting it on yet as she gave a wary glance back to Jocelyn.

Cambie

"If you don't mind me being so forthcoming, can I ask what this ritual is all about?"

Jocelyn sat there idly, with not a clue as to whether the girl tried the Cloth yet or not. He offered another smile to his rescuer, not knowing if she saw it or not, before placing a hand on the bear and giving it a gentle pat on its wooden head. He spent another moment trying to push it upright, rocking the boat just a little further. This time, he succeeded. Immediately he slid down the length of the craft a little just to balance it out and not have it flip over.

The Cloth itself was unassuming aside from its sheer whiteness, not having faded in all the centuries it'd existed. a very fine gold threading lined the hem with some long-forgotten language, but it was barely visible within the blinding white of the material itself. If it smelled of anything, it was an overabundance of briny seawater and kelp.

That being said, Jocelyn likely reeked of the ocean as well! Most people did when they washed ashore.

((OOC: I haven't settled exactly what it looks like through the Cloth, so let your imagination go wild! I was thinking something like Etch-a-Sketch vision, with no colors, only lines))

visualspice

"The ritual?" Layana blinked and gave a sheepish shrug, finding herself staring at his eyes again. "It's just something only my tribe does. I have to spend three days out here communing with the Gods." She'd leave out the details the Gods were meant to be her MOTHER, the Sun and her Father, you know.. the sky?

Shaking it off, she held the scarf up lazily to the sky, frowning a bit as she observed it before finally decided to slip it on. Holding her breath, she closed her eyes and slipped the fabric over them and immediately let out a gasp.

"Woah- ok,, this is weird." And she sat up suddenly, the boat rocking lightly as her hands shot out and she groped towards the horizon.
"Everything looks like.. like some sort of drawing and- AH!" she lost her footing and suddenly found her face crashing into Jocleyn's warm, seasalt smelling chest while the rest of her entangled itself upon his lap.
"Ooof.. owe owe..owwwwwwwwe!" and of course, she twisted her ankle on the way going down as she reached a hand back to nurse it with a wince.

Cambie

"Oh?" Jocelyn replied inquisitively when she briefly described the ritual, "are you a tribal shaman or seer, then?"

He grinned again as she voiced her surprised reaction at putting on the scarf. Most people who tried it said similar things about what they saw through the Cloth, though he could only imagine what a 'drawing' looked like.

He felt the gentle rocking of the boat at first, slight but growing more and more pronounced. And then, completely unexpectedly, he felt her face crash headlong into his chest, knowing the wind out of his lungs with a loud "OOF!" The next thing he knew, she was all tangled up in his arms and perched on his lap as the boat rocked side to side. He couldn't see her there, but he definitely could feel her warm skin against his, and the pounding of his own heart underneath his damp shirt.

The awkwardness of the moment was punctuated only by her yelps of pain. Immediately the expression on his face transitioned from one of uncertainty to one of concern or alarm. He must've caused it! After all, she was the one who could see, and he was the one who saw only darkness. Plus, it was him who had given her the scarf to wear, without warning her of the lack of depth perception when looking through the Cloth. He was so used to it that he simply forgot.

Instinctively, he groped blindly until his hands found her shoulders, just holding her. With a slight frown, he sat up a bit straight and peered down at her. "By the Gods... are you alright, Layana? I'm so sorry! Here, don't move so much, it'll make it worse."

That bear just sat there wordlessly, staring at the two of them as the evening waves lapped around the little boat.

visualspice

OOC: The wooden bear WOULD just stare at them loool

-------

Wincing still, Layana nursed her leg.
"I think I'll live. Glad I'm a healer, but it' just a simple twisted ankle." And peering up at him, she offered out the cloth. "Better you keep it and use it than me. We can already see the damage I've done with it." At least it was only to herself! And now as she tried to move to get herself situated more properly within the boat, she realized she might need some help.
"Say her... mind offering a lady a hand? I can't seem to get my footing here-" and just to prove her point, she let out a gasp and tumbled into the poor man again.
"Ok.. yeah, let's try this 'I'll stand up now' though with your help, if you'd be so kind to oblige," she said, giving him a trying smile, though all of her frustration was really directed at herself.

Cambie

Jocelyn took the blindfold back and hurriedly slid it back over his curling blonde hair and his blind eyes with a sheepish look on his face. When she tried to stand and fell again, he was ready to catch her in his arms this time, before she caused herself or him more harm. This was an interesting day.

"Yes. Yes, of course," he replied after a moment of uncertain silence. "Here, just hold on and let me do the work."

And wrapping a firm arm around her waist and holding her hand with the other, he slowly climbed to his feet in the little boat, easing herself up along with him. Evidently with the use of both arms now, and his strength and energy returned, he had better balance than one might have believed before. The boat was still rocking gently, but Jocelyn found his wobbly footing as he helped the girl to her feet.

"Careful now, it's still a little bit slick in here," he said as he focused on the black-and-white outline of the boat's bottom and placed his one booted foot correctly, focusing on precariously balancing both his and her weight. Of course, a tiny little craft like this was not built for people to stand in them, and it teetered dangerously left and right.

"Whoooaaa..." he cautioned, half to himself, as his hold around her waist firmed up.

visualspice

As he held her by the waist as the boat rocked, she stiffened at the awkwardness of the situation, and her cheeks heated pink; for he wasn't the only one holding onto the other. As his grip tensed, she was pulled closer, their hips and bellies connecting as her cheeks turned to an even deeper shade of red. And for a moment, all words were lost upon her as she stared at the handsome, blonde haired man's face with the goofy clothe tied over it.

And were it not for Jeremy's gaze, perhaps she might have forgotten herself there a moment as she  pulled back gingerly and grit her teeth.
"Err... yeah, the boat can be kind of wobbly. You know, ocean waves and all."
Yeah, like that didn't sound dumb...

Finding her balance, she kept one arm on his.
"Here, just hold onto my arm for me will ya? Gotta fix this ankle." And as he obliged, she bent over, a glowing hand now resting just an inch over the aching part of her leg, and once the soothing light dissipated, she sighed with relief.

"There, much better." And having taken just one step on it to test it, it rocked the boat just enough that the bear decided to tip over- and the boat rocked heavily, throwing Layana into Jocelyn with a yelp as the pair of them were knocked together into the water, and once they were splashing, the boat turned the other way and the bear joined them on the opposing side of the boat, his heavy wait causing a loud splash, too.

Cambie

While he couldn't perceive the reddening of Layana's face, Jocelyn was acutely aware of his own cheeks flushing when their hips pressed together. He'd known this girl for less than an afternoon, had just dropped into the middle of her likely-important ritual completely uninvited. She'd saved his life twice, and now she'd injured herself trying on his blindfold. Given the circumstances, this contact was entirely inappropriate! His family would've been embarrassed.

Luckily, the girl finally found her footing, allowing him to unwrap his arm from around her waist and simply hold her arm as she worked her magic. Again, his jaw dropped slightly as he sensed and then perceived the arcane energies flowing through her hand and into her own twisted ankle.

His arms shot out to balance himself when the boat began rocking again, and for a moment he found steadiness in his legs. When Layana collided with him, he almost caught her for a third time, but her ripped dress tangled tangled him this time and they both toppled.

And then, just like that, he found himself in the salty ocean water for a third time that day.

His head briefly sank under the water in his initial panicked reaction, but now he had the good sense to kick off his other boot. Without the hindrance of a broken arm, this time he was able to kick back to the surface and grab the side of the boat. She'd somehow fallen over him and into the deeper ocean waves, just out of reach of his outstretched hands. Still, he strained as far as he could. "Here, grab a hold!"

Add one more to the list of misfortunes he brought to her. He didn't even want to consider the possibility of her drowning.

visualspice

Splashing about in the water, she gasped when she finally resurfaced. Hearing him call out to her, she turned around to observe his hand, and swimming towards it, she accepted, but it was she who moved to grab the boat more confidently as she stared over at him, ocean water rivering down her face and smearing most of her gold body paint, and exposing some of the tattoos beneath.
"Ugh, tonight is not going to be fun," she groaned. "With the sun setting, I'll never get my outfit dry until morning." With a huff, she moved to pull herself onto the boat, then offered her hand down to him. "Here, come on, Let's get out of the ocean- then we can see to getting Mr. Bear back in here, too." And she frowned to observe he was bobbing around in the water, bottom side up.

Cambie

Jocelyn gladly took the hand as it was offered to him and pulled himself back into the little boat, dripping everywhere and sans shoes. He ran a hand through his soaked head and then started wringing the seawater out of his shirt, letting out a small huff of exasperation. If he never saw the ocean again, it'd be too soon.

"I was going to ask if you planned on floating out here this entire time. Let's get back to land and dry off. Here, after all the trouble I've caused, the least I can do is paddle."

He picked up the little oar and used it to fish the floating bear closer to the boat, though it was was more difficult than he at first anticipated. When it was close enough, he reached out and hefted it out of the water, splashing the two of them with more droplets in the process. Luckily he was stronger than her and this time the boat actually stayed upright, which was surprising considering how unlucky the stupid thing had been.

Rolling up his sleeves, he began paddling toward the white shore as the sun began its long descent into the horizon. What a way to be introduced to the Yoreiq Isles....

Tags: