Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Those Travelin' Types || Anadwen

Started by Luvisia, January 04, 2014, 09:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luvisia

People who had met Grimm Burke often told murmured stories to each other, musing about the old man who lived in the little shack representing Zantaric's funeral parlor on the edge of town. Some said he was a demon. Others suggested that he was a zombie. Yet even more claimed that he only liked the dead for company and planned to murder the whole of the town one of these days. But for the most part, they didn't know much at all. And so the musings were just that - musings, and nothing more. Any seasoned con would more readily believe that Grimm Burke was simply a man who preferred to keep his business to himself. And with that rational explanation, they dwelled on it not a moment more.

That was, unless they had the chance to meet him in person.

It wasn't often that Zantaric's mortician came to the marketplace, so the sight of the black-clad old codger tottering down the street, entering shops, and emerging with bags of purchased goods raised a few brows. People stared, and he only replied with a show of unexpectedly pearly teeth set in a mad grin. He then turned onto the next street, bags swinging lightly from his spindly arms.

Then someone brushed by him. The mortician sniffed. He didn't carry that same scent that most of the people around these parts did, and he didn't walk the same, either. Grimm paused but briefly in his sauntering step. His momentarily bewildered expression changed to a big smile as he whirled on one heel and pointed at the passerby.

"You sir! Ye, you. You a tra'eler? Soldier? Knight?"

The smile continued to play upon his lips, and he rocked on his heels, hands behind his back. One might think him a delusional old bat and nothing more. Unless he were correct, of course.

Anadwen

"What I am is no business of yours." Athran growled, staring at the man from beneath his dark hood. It wasn't often that strangers talked to him like that, and he disliked unnecessary attention. He crossed his arms, covered in hard archer's gauntlets and bracers, on his chest.

"What do you want off me that you ask?" His eyes checked the old man, but his face remained like a mask of stone. It was an unusual stranger - at least as unusual as he himself. Old, withered man in dark clothes, whose grey hair was hanging from his hat, and he had a terrific, wide grin on his face. Zantaric was, however, full of those strange existences, and when he visited, he was no different. It's not everyday that one meets an elf, after all.

Athran had his own dark business in Zantaric, and didn't want anyone to find out about it. He was just slowly passing the shops and streets, hiding in the shadow of his black cape, and waited for nightfall to get back into the routine. One paid well, very well for an assassin around these parts. Especially a silent, skilled and quick one like him. Nobody cared who or what he was, what secrets he bore, as long as he did his work well. That was most important for the paying customer... A dead body and unsuspected knife.

Luvisia

"Well, if ye be the travelin' type . . ." The blind man leaned closer to Athran, as if being conspiratorial, and added this more quietly. "I don' mean to interrupt ye business, sir, but if ye wouldn' mind stoppin' by my parlor I'd love to hear me a story of yours~ I love me a good tale, yes I do."

While Grimm's smile fell slightly, his tone remained quite jovial, a hint of the excitement that was not willing to be so easily contained. An elf's scent wasn't a scent easily forgotten; such was the reason he was able to tell the nature of this man. He had only met one other elf before in his entire life - they didn't come around these parts so often, much less come to speak with him.

Naturally an elf would pique his curiosity! They had all the best tales to tell! And having such longevity, they certainly have witnessed plenty of deaths in their time, right?

He'd realized a little late that his interlocutor was going about business, however. The quiet tone that he used now was perhaps the eccentric mortician's form of apology.

Anadwen

"If you stop in one of the inns, you can listen to as many tales as you wish. Or if you have wine... I may stop by and tell you a few, in exchange for the wine, off course." Athran chuckled. The possibility of getting free wine just for dropping a few tales was more than tempting.

He bent towards the man a little. "But don't tell anyone. Even if I told you a word... One man knows off me," his hand grabbed the scarf the mortician wore and pulled him closer towards himself, while the other flashed a short, but deadly knife.

"One man knows. And both you and him are rotting in coffins. Understood? Don't say a word." his voice was only a bit louder than a whisper, but cold as death and harder from iron, lacking the melodic elven beauty it mostly had. It wasn't a threat. It was a warning. Athran wasn't afraid to kill to keep himself safe.

DarkAssassin

Every single word between the two came to James' ears. He listened with slightly piqued interest, laying still against a chimney on top of a nearby roof, hands resting behind his head. He, too, had been waiting for nightfall, since nothing of interest ever came about in the light of day. His eyes were closed and it appeared as if he were sleeping, head tilting slightly in the direction of the two men.