Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Thief's Job

Started by Brisinger987, January 26, 2014, 04:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brisinger987

Baklari and Bazgan entered the bar, the duo bickering and arguing like a married couple.

Outside the moon was high overhead, and most people were either in taverns or at home. However, these two roaming monsters, stalked the streets, like deathly beasts of the night.

Bazgan looked around the tavern, distractible as ever, while Baklari scoured the tavern for their objective. Then he spotted him.

A dark elf sat in the corner, and that was where Baklari headed, determined not to have Bazgan screw up this meeting.

"Aldanith?" Baklari stood, towering over the rest of the patrons.

Anadwen

Aldanith's legs in dark boots slipped from the table. He glared at the unusual couple before him, piercing them with the ice-cold glance of his eyes, glinting from beneath his hood. His arms, till now holding a small jug of ale, were suddenly crossed on his chest.

"Huh? What do you want?" he glowered. His voice was silent, but mirrored the grim hardness of his nature. Despite his slender figure, he was a stern person, and a good warrior. The dark armour in which he was clothed clinked as he moved forth, still staring at the two. A sheath of a scimitar glinted in the light of candles.

What could these two want? Aldanith only hoped it would involve money for him...

Brisinger987

"We have a job for you." Bazgan said, sitting down. His voice was slightly rounder in it's tone than that of Baklari, whose voice was harsh and sharp.

"Yes, we need you to acquire something for us. Our mistress has given us the means to pay you well for it." Baklari didn't mention how much the pay would be, instead desiring to get the details out the way.

"Our mistress needs us to acquire a powerful artefact, from the tower in Uthlyn. It is a magical stone, built and enchanted to hold vast amounts of energy. You will steal it for us." Baklari hissed, his bone sword arms swaying slightly.

Anadwen

Aldanith raised a brow. "Uthlyn. That's in Connlaoth. You know what's the security in there? If I get caught, who's gonna bail me out?" he hissed. He took a drink from his ale and kept thinking. It wasn't any small deal what they asked from him, but if they paid him well...

There was a risk of getting caught, that was certain. However, Uthlyn was still safer than Reajh, and there were more scholars than mordecai. He put his legs back onto the table and leaned back. "And how much would you pay me? I require payment in gold - pure gold. It's not cheap. And don't try to fool me. I need to know what's in it for me."

Brisinger987

"Well Mr Aldanith, if you get caught, then you don't get paid. And that's not what our sources have told us you like to do." Bazgan produced a bag from his many pouches.

"We'd be willing to pay 600 gold coins. 100 of which, lies in my associate's bag. The rest will be paid upon completion of the service. And we will meet you in Uthlyn for the trade of the item, for the coin." Baklari's red eyes grew bright and seemed menacing, with his huge stature genuinely terrifying the rest of the humans in the tavern.

"If you do not like the payment, then we will take our business elsewhere. Do not toy with us though, Mr Aldanith. Our mistress is plentiful amounts more powerful than you, and if you cheat us, you won't live to see the next sunrise."

Anadwen

"When there's money involved, I'm damn sure not gonna cheat anybody. And you're apparently paying a hell of a price." Aldanigh smirked, and put his hands onto the table. For that much money, he'd gladly risk sneaking into the very palace of the duke.

"I'll take it. But don't try to deceive me, either. If I won't get the money, you won't get the stone. I can guarantee you secrecy and discreetness." he explained in a cold voice. His arms softly thudded on the table as he turned his hands over and let the metal plates on his gauntlets drop onto the wood.

"I require a hundred beforehand. I need means to get to Uthlyn, what is a long road." The hood sled of his head as he looked up, revealing strands of white hair, but he immediately pulled it back up, to hide back in the shadows.

Brisinger987

"We understand you have integrity, as we do, but we had to give you warning. If you can bring it to us without attracting attention, the pay will increase to 1000 gold. That would be difficult though, as the tower has defences that are more problematic than most." Baklari nodded to Bazgan who grunted and put the money on the table, and slid it over to Aldanith.

"That should cover the expenses there. We will meet you in Uthlyn, 60 days from now, by the southern gate. Should you not arrive, we will assume you are dead, and have taken just the 100 gold, and will hire someone who is more professional." Baklari sneered at Aldanith before Bazgan stood.

"And trust me. 900 gold will get you a lot of places." Baklari and Bazgan left, leaving Aldanith with the hundred gold to get to Connlaoth and rob the Tower of Uthlyn in 60 days.

Anadwen

Aldanith nodded, caressing the money, then quickly slipping the pouch into one of his pockets. "I should be there in thirty." he replied silently. His eyes were glinting with the hunger for more money, and their bright irises suddenly didn't appear as cold as usually.

A confident smirk spread through his face. "I guarantee you the highest security. I will do my best, and you have my word." he assured the couple, and watched them leave.

Shortly after, without even finishing his mug of ale, he stood up and left the tavern himself. It was best for him to get going, and with Uthrang waiting for him in the wilderness outside the city, he could get to Connlaoth quickly and safely without anyone noticing him.

Brisinger987

Baklari and Bazgan took a more leisurely route to Uthlyn, picking up another item in La'marri before heading to Uthlyn, their trip taking them a full 54 days to complete.

They spent a few days in Uthlyn, with their caravan loaded with coin for Aldanith. Once Aldanith returned, the caravan would smuggle him wherever he desired.

And so it was, that on the sixtieth day, they waited by the south gate for Aldanith, hoping he would arrive with their prize.

Senka's prize.

Anadwen

Everything was prepared for the theft. He spent more than twenty days watching the guards and exploring the security of the tower, all to pass around unnoticed and steal the relic without raising any suspicion until it will be too late. And he was ready, too...

...It was the evening of the 59th day, and Aldanith stood before the tower of Uthlyn, once again garbed in his dark armour. It was towering above him, but he didn't see that as a complication, unless someone would toss him out of the upper windows, what his fragile body might not take well. A smirk spread through his face. That wasn't going to happen.

He sent Bazgan and Baklari a letter, informing them to first come to the south gate, where they will be able to pick up a note with accurate information about the exchange. He was meaning to give them the stone in the morning in a local inn, shortly before the dawn. Nobody would find that suspicious... 

Brisinger987

Baklari and Bazgan received the letter, rather annoyed at having to change the place of meeting. They had to naturally assume that this guy's cover was blown, and that they were meeting in a dark, secluded place.

They arrived first at the south gate, picking up the note, before reading for the time and location of the new meeting.

They travelled straight to the tavern, which Baklari could not enter do to his sheer size, and so he was forced to send Bazgan.

"You go in, you get the stone, you bring him outside, where we will take him to his payment. You do not do anything else. Do not lose the stone."Baklari snarled at Bazgan, watching him through a window as best he could.

Bazgan spotted Aldanith, and walked over.

"You gots the prize? We wants the prize. You gives us the prize." Bazgan's rough, gravelly, slightly round tone made it clear he wasn't well versed in common.

Anadwen

A dark silhouette was slowly moving through the shadows of the city. An occasional passer by could mistake him for a drunkard... Hidden beneath the dark hood, nobody could see anything, anyway.

He wiped the blood from his thin lips. It didn't go as well as he expected, but he had the stone, unshattered beneath his armour. He could feel it, pulsing, pressed onto his skin. The tavern was drawing close... He groaned, and forced himself to make a few more steps towards the wall. His muscles and bones were screaming in protests as he grabbed the edge of the window, and pulled himself up.

It happened that he really did get tossed out of a window... And suspected having broken a few ribs. His body was definitely not build for this, but at least he saved the stone, and he was still alive and conscious.

He appeared in the window, turned to the backstreet. It didn't take long till Bazgan appeared inside, and Aldanith reached under his clothes to pull the stone out. "Here it is... Now give me the gold and leave me alone." he snarled with his teeth clenched.

Brisinger987

Bazgan produced a piece of paper from the pouch, looking over to Baklari, who shook his head. Bazgan continued to pull individual scrolls and papers from pockets until Baklari nodded. Then he handed the paper to Aldanith and took the stone.

"South gate. There caravan there. Show thems paper. They give you pay." Bazgan went to walk straight off, happy that the encounter was over, and that he had finished Baklari's commands.

Anadwen

Aldanith snatched the paper from Bazgan's hands, and carefully sled off the windowsill. He headed out of the inn through the back door, towards the south gate, slowly passing through the empty streets.

It was waiting there, though he hardly understood what is a caravan needed for. He just wanted the money, and then try to find some healer that wouldn't run off into the blue, screaming, in the moment when he'd take off his hood. There would hardly anyone like that in Connlaoth...

"Screw that piece of shit and those assholes that call themselves guards." he groaned, pulling the paper out, and waving it in front of the caravan. "I just came for the gold! Give it to me and leave me the heck alone! I didn't come here to wait!" he shouted impatiently, waiting for someone to show up with his pay.

Brisinger987

The caravan looked at Aldanith, and someone walked up to him.

"What the bloody hell are you waving that at me for? Who are you?" The man seemed unknowing of Aldanith's purpose and intent.

Anadwen

The dark elf shoved the scrap of paper into the man's hands. "Give me the bloody money and piss off, would you?" he hissed. "Nine hundred gold. Now. Or I'll make you kiss your own ass."

The man only gave him a confused glance. "What gold?" he asked, obviously not recognizing the paper.
"Two guys... A creepy-ass monster and a big dumb lizard. Nine hundred gold. They promised me that I'll get... It..."

Everything clicked. Baklari and Bazgan didn't have any gold for him... He was deceived. Robbed. And deceived. His blood was boiling in his veins, so enraged that he wanted to scream and shout at the whole world...

"GET OUT OF MY WAY, YOU SON-OF-A..." he shouted, and smacked the man, storming off back towards the town. "I'LL RIP THOSE BLOODY IDIOTS TO PIECES ONCE I GET TO THEIR F..." He was screaming curses so obscene that the very earth beneath him would blush if it could, and for a while, the rage filled his head and pushed all the pain out.

All of a sudden, he collapsed in the middle of a street, already behind the south gate. He growled in pain, pulling his knees to his chest. This day was not bad... It was terrible.

Brisinger987

Under the dawn's light, the message on the paper would reveal itself.

Our mistress kindly thanks you for her service.
As you no doubt know, there is no payment.
You will also be pleased to know the city guards have been informed of your whereabouts.
Your sacrifice is appreciated.
Die for chaos, or live for nothing.

Then the letter faded, and the sound of cavalry coming to meet Aldanith filled the air.

========================================

Halford saw the fellow dark elf collapse, and ran to pick him up, carrying him to a backroom in an alley, away from the guards.

"Hang on, I'll get you fixed up. Nice to finally meet a fellow dark elf..."

Anadwen

Aldanith stared at him with surprise, still clutching the letter. "What the hell is going on?" he muttered.

He knew that he has been deceived, and pretty badly - not that he risked his life for a mere hundred gold, but the two told the guards about him, and as an outlaw, assassin, thief, and criminal, he was far from being safe.

He tossed the letter onto the ground, gasping for his breath. "F*** you, you idiots..." he whispered.  If Baklari and Bazgan would ever meet him again, he would make sure that they'd die slowly and painfully.

And who was this in front of him? He could see his features, fairly similar to his own, but he'd swear he never saw this guy before... It didn't matter. As long as he got him away from the guards, Aldanith didn't give a damn.

Brisinger987

Halford rushed Aldanith into an alleyway, seeing he was injured, into the back room and bolted the door. He sat Aldanith on a chair, giving him a slap to the face to make sure he was still conscious.

"Stay with me, and wait one second." Halford ran to the window, peeking out the curtain, before returning to Aldanith.

"By the looks of things, you either got into a bar fight with a troll, or you fell some fair distance. Fractures, breaks, bruises, possible haemorrhaging. Time to work my magic." Halford stood up, and began chanting his healing spell.

Anadwen

"I fell out of a window... I know it..." Aldanith replied quietly. His vision was going blurry, but the slap from the other elf woke him up for a while.

"From the tower. I though the goddamn window's closed... It wasn't... One of those bastards that march through it all the time threw me out of it." he explained, and bit into his tongue to stop a scream as the healing magic started to work.

He pushed himself back, flipping the chair over, and landing on his back, with his knees in his face. He rolled over, clumsily, and stared at Halford in horror. "What the hell are you doing? This hurts!" he cried. He could feel the tears, flowing down his face, and his whole body was shaking on the floor.