Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A different kind of RP (recruitment thread)

Started by DaGlobster, February 06, 2014, 02:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaGlobster

Welcome! This is a foray into the world of RP that I have decided to put up for the enjoyment of the rest of the site. This thread will be dedicated to recruitment, and this initial post will be dedicated to introducing the setting and setting the character requirements and posting the templates (character creation will be fairly in-depth, so do be serious when going about this RP. There will be no RPing in this thread, just the posting and approval of characters.

I: The Setting.
This RP will be set in the kingdom of Vlazdovistok (so yes, there will be predominantly Russian names for any NPCs). The kingdom is ruled by King Dardka Kailovich. There is currently a demonic invasion overcoming the kingdom, and only the capital city of Polotskia and its neighboring villages are left, making the PCs the last hope for this kingdom. The city itself is extremely diverse, with all kinds of fantasy races making their homes in it, from the mundane like dwarves, elves, and men, to kobolds, fetchlings, and the occasional tengu.

II: Character templates

Name: (self explanatory)

Occupation: (what did you do for a living before being selected for this mission)

Race/Unique traits: (what race are you? You can pick any race from fantasy or from any roleplaying game, as long as it's intelligent. You also have to be a biped.)

Appearance: (brief description at least a paragraph long, or a picture)

Backstory: (at least 2 Paragraph long backstory)

Major talent/skill: (What is your character's specialty? Magic, fighting, repair, and archery are only a few. You can have only one major talent. Doing something involving your major talent gives you a bonus when I roll to see if you succeed.)

Minor Talent: (this usually complements your major talent. For example, if your major talent is fighting with a two-handed sword, then you might want to have something along the lines of "two-handed sword maintennance" or something to complement it. You can have 3 minor talents. Minor talents also give you a bonus on the die roll, but is less than the Major talent bonus. Major and Minor talent bonuses do stack)

Other Skills/Talents: ( all the mundane stuff like cooking, knitting, playing cards, and folding your bedroll especially nice go here.)

Gear/inventory: (self explanatory. Weapons like firearms are allowed, but they are extremely primitive. Your inventory would contain things like your sword ( if any), water flasks, rope, and stuff like that. I will be allowing you to bring along some magic items, but those require approval as well.

III: IMPORTANT INFO!!
1.) This thread will not be like any other RP thread. Think of this thread as a sort of RPG like Dungeons and Dragons. I will be acting as all the NPCs, and will be "running" combat using a super secret system I devised, involving dice. If someone participating in the thread wants to do something not routine or otherwise too easy, I'll roll to see if they succeed or not.

On the topic of rolling to see if you succeed, I would prefer it if you wrote along the lines of "He swung his sword at the wolf". If you write "He swung his sword at the wolf, scratching its ear and drawing blood" I will ask you to correct it.

2.) Yes, you are allowed to "import" characters from SoTE if you don't feel like making one for this thread. Imported SoTE characters can also keep their weapons and gear, but that might have to be revised if they're carrying the magic wand equivalent of a tactical nuke. A few rules, as well:
-It has to be approved by me
-can't be anybody too OP, so no super-mega kickass vampire that can teleport at will and has a sword that kicks major butt and can't miss.
-they have to be rewritten in the character format provided in this thread.
-No gods, demons, or angels.
3.) MOST IMPORTANT NOTE: Characters CAN die. If you die, regardless of whether you imported a character or not, you're OUT OF THE THREAD (unless you died of a horrendous luck streak, in which I might feel sorry for you and give you a second chance in the form of not dying.). If your imported SoTE character dies, they remain alive on the site (this thread is non-canon). I intend for this to be a challenge, so expect to be put through life or death situations, and don't be surprised that the smallest mistake can lead to death.

Daniel Clarke

Do I just send my character to you via reply, email you? I'm not quite sure as I'm quasi new to this.

DaGlobster

Yeah, just put 'em down in this thread. If there's anything about the character you want to keep hush-hush from all the others, you can also PM it to me.

Daniel Clarke

Thanks, I'm still working on balancing my character. Quick question, biologically engineered beings or humans made to be weapons are allowed right?

DaGlobster

The setting is high-fantasy medieval, just like this whole forum (it was for simplicity's sake, really.) So no, no genetically modified/engineered warriors.

Daniel Clarke

Alright, you know I don't know why I asked. I had no intentions of doing anything with the idea. Some questions just need to stay on the inside I guess. I'll refrain from asking anything off-topic again. Thanks for the help.

DaGlobster

S'okay. We all have our silly question moments.

Wicked Basket

Ok, here it is. Apologies for the wait. I suffered from some severe mental block.

Name: Lukas

Race: Fallen angel

Appearance: Lukas looks the opposite of what an angel would look like. He has shoulder-length black hair(of which several strands usually hang down over his face), dark blue eyes, pale skin, and he is always dressed in all black. He has a medium build thanks to his more demanding lifestyle and appears to be in his late twenties. He rarely, if ever, smiles and he always looks like he has a problem with everybody. He also possesses black angel wings, but he keeps them hidden. He wears a loose-fitting black shirt, black pants, and boots.

Backstory: Lukas had been a warrior for his patron god before his banishment. What he was banished for is only known by him and his former master. Lukas has been greatly disgraced by his exile, and has developed a very unpleasant attitude because of it. He lost a lot in addition to his home.

Lukas manages to survive in the realm of mortals by living a nomadic lifestyle. All of his angelic powers and possessions were taken from him except his flaming sword and the ability to conceal his wings. Even his halo had been stripped from him. He hides the fact that he is an angel due to his shame of banishment, and he generally likes to avoid contact with other beings.

Major talent/skill: Though a bit rusty, Lukas is still a potent combatant.

Minor talents: survival, navigation, and tracking

Other skills/talents: hunting, cooking, fire making, building traps, archery, and he has a pretty decent singing voice

Gear/inventory: hunting knife, flaming sword, blanket, bow, quiver with arrows, a whetstone, flint, and a backpack to carry it all

DaGlobster

Yeah, your character's good to go, Wicked. I had to admit, I squinted my eyes in readied disapproval when I saw he was an angel, but when it turned out he was an ex-angel with only a fancy sword and a grumpy attitude to match, I supposed I could let that slide.

Wicked Basket

I just went back and re-read the first post and noticed the "no angels" rule. XD Oops. My pro reading skills at work right there. :P

Anyway, I hope more peoples join. I'm kinda eager to use this guy with his flaming sword and bad attitude.

Kriv

Name: Barret O' Gil

Race: Arachnaes (Spiderman's powers minus the super-strength, but he can talk to any thing in the arachnid family)

Appearance: He has deep, glistening, brown eyes. Barret has an tall, lean build with chocolate brown skin.

Back story: Barret grew up in a large city, he had a single mother until he was 12. He had an eventful past, but specifically he knows nothing. When he was 16 he decided to explore and adventure in hopes that he could find someone to cure his amnesia.

Barett's fun loving, trust worthy attitude always puts people at ease. That accompanied with his music can put the most stubborn man in a good mood. With his rich voice and attitude he brings joy when he comes, and sadness when he goes. Also, he hates vodka, puttin' potatoes in alcohal just ain't right mate. Loves potatoes.

Major talent/skill: Sound magic, complete control and manipulation of sound, how others perceive it, frequencies, volume.. (etc.)

Minor talents: Silver tongue

Other skills: Napping, Laziness, Resourcefulness, Just generally hurting people with his guitar.

Inventory: Pillow, silver dirk, acoustic guitar, flask full of ale, rope, flints and a leather pack.

DaGlobster

just in case any interested parties were wondering, this recruitment thread is still open. I need at least two more peeps!

Alegretto

Hi, I'd like to get in on this if at all possible.

Name: Viatrus Garrince

Race/Unique traits: Halfling

Appearance: A short (he's a halfling, what do you expect) but serious looking fellow, Viatrus looks a bit old for his age, and his rugged features could easily be attributed to a halfling five years his senior. His skin is dark, but not naturally, rather it's the tan of someone who has spent a lot of time in the son.

Backstory: Viatrus is a courier, the best one he knows (helps that he's the only one he knows), and no one is faster on their feet. He started delivering people's messages and packages three year ago, when his parents died of fever and orphaned him. He started doing the work when a passing noble asked a destitute Viatrus to deliver a letter to someone in the slums. He did the job reliably, and has fostered his trade and reputation ever since. He has had his fair share of trouble and difficult deliveries, but Viatrus subscribes to the theory that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
By now Viatrus has a reputation. If you want something brought somewhere, no questions asked, then he's your guy. He can't guarantee when, but the package will get there. Just not anything too big. He is a halfling after all.

Major talent/skill: Evasion. Nothing comes Viatrus' way that he doesn't dodge. After all, getting hit is dangerous for a man his size.

Minor Talent: Identifying weak points. The cagey Halfling always has an eye out for some type of weakness to exploit.
Crossbows: Particularly good at reloading them quickly and firing them accurately.
Sneaking

Other Skills/Talents: Good night vision (if that counts), proficient swimmer, good climber, and quite the skilled seamster.

Gear/inventory: Rope, Access (burglary) kit, crossbow, quiver, lots of quarrels, knife, knapsack, blanket, water skin.

Kriv

DaGlobster

What, yeah he was, and alegretto's character is approved as well.

Daniel Clarke

Hey man, I'm sorry. I've had a lot of crap to deal with in the past month-ish. I'm really sorry that I haven't had time to come back and do this. My computer died and so did three family members. I really am sorry.

blakethedestroyer

DaGlobster

You know, Blake, I want to say this still is, but unfortunately, it may be dead. However...

*pulls out some defibrilators from a Thread Revival Kit*

Clear!

*IF ANYONE WHO HAS POSTED A CHARACTER APPLICATION FOR THIS THREAD IS STILL INTERESTED, LET ME KNOW!*

Let's just hope that works. Feel free to make a character, Blake. The thread just might start back up.

Wicked Basket

blakethedestroyer

Name:Oleg

Race:Human

Appearance: He is tall and muscular, has messy long brown hair that is tied off in a ponytail and dark brown eyes,along with a short beard. He has pale,
hairy skin and wears thick cloth clothes with a bear pelt on his back.

Backstory: Oleg was born in a small village, his father was a talented hunter and was easily able to feed his family. Olegs father wanted him to follow in his footsteps, though oleg was never very good at tracking, and was a poor shot with a bow, so instead Oleg began to find another way to make his father proud, so he began physically training and conditioning himself to the point were he was the strongest person his his village. Eventually Oleg felt like
he should do more with his life and see new places, so he decided to leave his town. Once he made it to the town he was noticed by the captain of the
guards, who convinced Oleg to join them, he quickly showed that he was capable with a greatsword and lived as a guard until recently were he quit in search
of something new.

Major talent: He is a Capable swordsman

Minor talents:Drinking(can drink alot without getting drunk), good at telling when people are lying, sword care

Other talents: good fist fighter, good at lifting things

Inventory: Greatsword, Heavy cloth clothing, bear pelt, bottle of water, bread, hunting knife