Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Along Came A Spider (M)

Started by visualspice, February 25, 2014, 05:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"I told you it wasn't my fault. Besides, as if you even knew there had been jewels in it,"s he said, waving it off as if the idea were nothing. But at his last statement she blinked.
"What did you say?"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Erwin glanced up from his cup, inwardly pleased that he finally found a breakthrough in this impasse. He continued to sip lightly at his tea, letting whatever thoughts she had in her mind brew a little longer. Finally, he set it down.

"Just some mention of renovations to this Keep. Nothing special and nothing drastic. I always did like the way they glowed red in candlelight."

visualspice

Mae'leena stared at him for a good long while before a grin stretched crookedly on her lips.
"You are a dick, love. But I can respect that. But do something to my ruby, and I'll put that tea up and cram it up your nose. Now, tell me what you're really after. If you found my jewel, why are you down here asking me about it? I'm sure most of your kind would be more than eager to add that to their collection." She folded her arms across her chest and gave him a stubborn stare.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Erwin leaned back in his chair and plucked another strawberry from the bowl, biting into it and savoring the sweetness of it. After a long day, or indeed a long week, it provided him at least some small measure of solace.

"I already told you the first things I want to know," he repeated with a slight frown. He'd never met anyone as stubborn as her. If this were the army, he might've had her flogged for insubordination already. As the Duke, he probably could have it done anyway, but he thought about just how quickly the people might turn on him and shook the thought from his mind.

"I want a name, and I want to know how you got up on my ceiling. Then we'll move on to more complicated questions."

visualspice

"A name? What? Of my ruby?" She made a face. Was this guy for real? She wasn't that conceded!

Cambie

Erwin gave her an incredulous look.

"No, not your ruby. Are you simple? I want YOUR name."

visualspice

Mae'leena blinked.
"My name? What the hell do you want that for?" But then a playful grin curled around her lips as she tried to think of a reason he might.  He was a man after all.
"Thinking about wanting to do some sweet talkin' with me?" she cooed.

Cambie

Oh, he wanted to answer in the affirmative. Terribly bad. His younger self would have jumped at the opportunity. But here he was, with a bunch of guards just outside the door guaranteed to be eavesdropping.

"I prefer my women not covered in hay and urine," he said with a dismissive wave.

"But I like to know with whom I am speaking. So that I may address them properly."

visualspice

"It ain't my fault you put me in here,"s he told him with a wrinkle of her nose. "Besides,"s he looked him over. "Maybe you should tell me who you are first?"

Cambie

Erwin blinked at the question, his brow furrowing even more. He sat forward a bit.

"You really don't know who I am? I am Erwin Therrien, Duke of Wulfbauer. Honestly, you might be the worst thief I have ever seen. Did you just decide to rob my Keep because it was the largest building available?"

visualspice

For the longest while Mae'leena just looked at him, trying to figure out if she should answer that question- only because, well...
It was sort of true.

"Not exactly."
Her eyes looked him over warily. "But I thought some other guy was Duke. Some guy much older with grey hair. What did you do- steal his throne?"

Cambie

The Duke froze in his seat, staring at her intensely. His face betrayed no emotion this time, just a hard steely gaze as if staring right through her. His free hand clenched tightly in his lap.

"That was my father. I buried him today."

visualspice

Mae'leena's face went long. She just had to open her big fat mouth.
"Talk about digging your own grave,"s he muttered. Well, if she was going to win any favors out of this man it seemed all of those probably went out the window. She sighed and turned away from him.
"Word on the street- some call me The Spider, but you.."s he finally turned her aqua colored eyes onto him. "I suppose you can just call me Mae'leena Doh'vek."
Not that it mattered.
She idly wondered how painful a hanging was. Surely it was a quick death.S omething about the neck breaking.

Cambie

Erwin sat there quietly, a pain bubbling inside of him and seizing up his throat. He pressed his lips there grimly as his eyes gazed off at nothing in particular. The sting of watching his father's procession that morning had been hard enough then, and it hurt even more now. The thought of his younger sisters reduced to tears had him fighting back his own grief.

But he didn't cry, he didn't whimper. He just sat there in a heavy silence, the only sound being the girl's as she paced in her cell. The silence lasted a while before he finally looked back up.

"Mae'leena Doh'vek..." he repeated softly, looking her up and down. Then he stood up. "Thank you for the conversation."

And he turned to go.

visualspice

Most surprisingly, she kept her mouth shut after the duke left, and began to smack her forward against the bars.
"If I wasn't dead now, I certainly am now. Good going, Mae'leena," she grumbled to herself, then whispered a few curses in her mother's native tongue before throwing herself back to her make shift bed of hay- before then realizing,with a groan.

"Gods, I sat in something wet."

Cambie

Sometime during the evening the door opened for a servant, who silently collected up the chair and the teapot, its contents now cooled. Instructed not to speak to the prisoner, the servant didn't even look up for a second.

Slowly, dawn broke and light streamed through a small window at the far end of the prison. It grew bright and dimmed, and then faded back into night. In between, a guard came in with a single loaf of bread on a wooden tray, along with a small bowl of soup. He gruffly put the tray in front of Mae'leena's cell and then disappeared. Aside from that, there were no signs of life until later that night when the door opened again.

Unlike the night before, nobody set up a chair in front of her bars. Rather, the Duke stepped through this time with a torch in hand. Again he stopped in front of her bars. This time he leaned his back against the wall across from her.

"I would like to apologize for last night. I was... not myself."

visualspice

When the duke approached, Mae'leena was wary. For some reason he didn't have his tea, nor his strawberries, not even a chair to sit in. His harassment of her was probably presumed to be brief. Probably her sentencing. She never considered getting old. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad dying young? But, she had a fear of death. It wasn't exactly on her list of top things she wanted to do with her life. At least not now.

So as she approached the bars, she was cautious, aqua eyes narrowing critically upon the man as she took one small step ever closer towards him. She was shrouded by the dark shadows from the bars, most of it masking her face, but the shadows could not hide the bright colors of her eyes as she looked back at the man when his apology was given. And as always, her emotions were clearly written on her face.

She could NOT believe this.

"What? You're apologizing to me?"
Well that was a first! "Yeah, you should be apologizing!" she ranted, finding strength in the fact he was suddenly humbled before her. It made her feel as if she had power- despite the bars she was obviously trapped behind. "I mean first of all you think I'm some bloody assassin- news flash, Mister Duke, see this dress? It ain't made to get all bloody. But now it's probably got piss stains all over it from this cell! And further more, your wonderful guards gifted me with a moldy loaf of rye bread. I hate rye bread! Last time I 'ad it I nearly choked and done killed myself! Not to mention the soup was as cold as the water at the bath houses- and probably equally as dirty. What was in that stuff? You expect me to eat mule shit before I get hung? I would have at least hoped for some of those strawberries, or you know, something actually edible! Now I'm starving since I couldn't get more than a sip down of that soup- and the water- I think your guards done pissed in it. As if I was going to drink any of that."

Cambie

Erwin stood silently by as the girl ranted, expressionless. Inwardly though, he grew more and more irritated. After another long day of tending to the affairs of his Duchy (and having the unenviable task of issuing an edict to ration the winter's supply of grain), he'd found it in him to perhaps come and have a second, more meaningful conversation with this supposed thief. Clearly that was unlikely to happen.

"You will not be hung," he replied curtly. In his mind, he imagined her body actually swinging from the gallows. Maybe it would shut her up, and teach would-be thieves in his Duchy a lesson on who was in charge. But, of course, that wasn't a good way to endear himself to the people, especially in the first week. No, mercy was the proper course here.

"But you will eat and drink what my guards give to you, and you will like it. My people are hungry as it is, and come the winter many more will starve. My generosity and leniency toward you has been ample enough, and every word you say makes me wonder if I should just have you hanged, to save all my men the trouble of having less on their own plates."

He shook his head and came a little closer.

"I came here to ask from whom you stole that large ruby. So that I might return to its owner what is rightfully theirs."

visualspice

Mae'leena gave a soured glare.
"You think I'm some fool? I know how this stuff works."
Sort of. She had never actually been really caught before...
"You'll get the information from me and hang me anyways. And I never asked for you to keep me as your 'guest'. I could manage to find better food myself, even if the rations are scarce!"
Besides- if he knew the man whom she stole it from..
She'd be as good as dead anyways.
"Besides,"s he gave a fluff to her hair. "A woman does not give away her secrets on the first date."
Or the third one? If anyone was counting- not that these meetings really were a 'date'.

Cambie

Erwin deposited the torch into a nearby iron sconce before approaching the cell, arms folded over his chest. The flickering light made his silvering hair gleam, along with his narrowed light blue eyes.

"Stealing from me is one thing. But stealing from my people, when they're already going hungry? That's a line you do not want to cross."

Reaching out, he grabbed a hold of one of the iron bars, drumming his fingers against it. "I am a man of my word. When I say I give leniency, I mean it. But don't think that mercy extends as far as where you're trying to take it, Mae'leena."

He shrugged. "It's a simple question to answer, in any case. Even on a date, any other woman would not be this off-putting."