Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Mindshifter Hospitality [Rhi] [M]

Started by DaGlobster, April 05, 2014, 02:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaGlobster

Yun' dream consisted of nothing but inky blackness, punctuated by the occasional, alien-sounding sequence of clicks. If she'd try to move, she'd find herself completely paralyzed. Something would brush against her side, and she'd feel something wrapping around her waist. Something put its rubbery hands on her temples, and two red pinpricks of light appeared before her, hovering just ahead of her vision. They narrowed, and she'd feel tentacles coil around her throat and cup the back of her head. In front of her, a bleeding, faintly glowing and pulsating human brain was held aloft by two more tentacles. A faint, cackling laugh was heard, before the dream was over.

She'd wake up in a comfortable looking bed, in a homely-enough cottage. There was all kinds of things lying around, and there was all kinds of living amenities. Most of the furniture was carved from woods native to the jungles of Kunata, and amonsgt it all, there was a young man, sitting on a stool and tending to a spit-roast of fish. Hanging on a wall was a painting of an old man. The same old man that she encountered before she witnessed the horrors in the jungle. The young man glanced behind him, revealing his deep blue eyes, dark hair, and handsome face. "Oh, you're awake!" He said in Kunatan, and he slowly stood up. "Are you all right? I found you passed out in the jungle. You brushed against some Sightweed, and it looked like you saw some nasty stuff. You were muttering about giants and octopus-men." He explained, raising his hands harmlessly.

If she looked around, she'd notice her equipment propped up against the wall by the door. She was still in the clothes she passed out in. She had a peculiar rash on her right arm, presumably from the Sightweed she bumped into.

Rhindeer

Yun bolted upright in a cold sweat, her heart pounding in her chest and both hands going to her throat, because it was so vivid, so vivid she could still feel the tentacles wrapped around her. Panting, she looked around wildly, expecting to be in that horrible, dark place still, expecting to see tentacles wrapped around her waist--but all she saw was a cozy room that looked...

Perfectly normal.

Just a dream... she thought with relief, wiping her forehead with the back of her hand. But she still felt shaky and alarmed, and even more so because she was in a place she didn't recognize! Searching around the room in confusion, she caught sight of a young man who had noticed her awakening. She jerked in alarm, surprised--even though that made no sense, she was in a house, of course there'd be someone here!--but then relaxed again, because this man was human. And he looked perfectly normal. Just human. Even attractive!

Er. Not that that was relevant.

"Oh..." she said when he explained, and sighed again, practically wilting as she sat back against the pillows. "Yeah...wow. Yeah, I'm okay...I think. Ugh, I just had some pretty weird dreams, but...I guess you probably already know that?" She grimaced. How embarrassing, that she was talking in her sleep.

"Oh man. I just remember it was storming really bad and it was dark and...I guess that's when it happened. The Sightweed, I mean. I mean, I guess, I was brushing against a lot of stuff, it's a jungle, after all. I didn't even know about Sightweed. But I've never really been over here, and...wow. This is really embarrassing, but--hey."

Sitting up a little straighter, she pointed at the painting, a chill going down her spine. "He was there last night, too!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

The young man glanced at the painting. "My grandfather?" He said with a bit of surprise as he glanced towards it. "He died two years ago... He brought me out into this jungle to escape his psychotic wife." The young man said in a slightly ramble-y tone. "I mean, he was a wizard and stuff, he taught me a few things...anyways, wizards leave powerful energies behind when they die... So it must have been a mix of that and the Sightweed." He explained, a genuinely confused tone to his voice. The young man was also a bit awkward, but in kind of a cute way. It was obvious he wasn't used to seeing people, let alone women. He stepped over to a stool next to the bed, and sat down on it. "You need to rest here for a bit, maybe a day or two. You had a lot of Sightweed in your system, so you're going to be a bit weak, and you might be hallucinating every once in a while as the poison flushes from your system" he added, and patted her lightly on the shoulder before standing up. His hands felt like they buzzed with energy, and they just felt so indescribably positive on the skin.

He looked over to the fish on the spit, and he extended an arm. After some strain, the stick with two nicely cleaned and perfectly cooked snappers floated over to him, and then he snapped the stick in two and handed one of them to Yun. "What's your name?" He said as he took a bite of his salmon.

Rhindeer

A chill raced down Yun's spine at that, the hairs on the back of her neck standing on end. The old man was dead? Dead for two years? Oh goddess, maybe she had seen a ghost after all! She had been  on the verge of panic when the man offered a reasonable explanation that made her relax. A little.

She didn't like the idea of having more hallucinations, though. But his touch put her at ease, so when he patted her shoulder, some of the worry drained out with it.

Some.

"That many days? Aw man...my mentor's gonna kill me," she groaned, raking her hands through her bangs. But she knew he was right, for she still felt horribly woozy, and when she moved her head, the world kept moving. Ugh. "Man...I mean, I guess I've got no choice, if that's okay with you. Name's Yun by the..."

She trailed off, because that was when he levitated the skewer. She stared, eyes wide, not sure if that was a hallucination or not.

(Posted from tablet, pardon any wejrd errors. xD
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"Mine's Han..." He started, and he noticed she was staring. "You must have missed the details. I told you my grandfather taught me some tricks. Nothing major though." He said, and he waved the salmon from side to side in front of Yun. "You going to eat it or not?" He asked, a worried expression growing on his face.

Somewhere in the immaterium, there was a very pleased puppet-master. Sure, he meant nothing but well for the woman he was determined to help, but the altercation with the barbarian had left Kruz'Iik slightly drained. He dared not mention that Yun was woozy because he had...taken some things for himself, but he only drew a little sustenance from her.

Rhindeer

"Huh? Oh. Oh, yeah. Of course!" Yun said, snapping out of her daze and taking the skewer he held. She had zoned out a bit there, legitimately worried that she was still seeing things. Right. Taught him some things. Like levitation. Thank Inima, she wasn't going crazy after all!

"Sorry, I guess I'm still a little jumpy, heh." Maybe eating would settle her nerves a bit. It had been a while since she'd eaten; since yesterday morning, actually.

Taking a large bite of fish, she chewed and gulped it down. "Hey, this is pretty good, thanks! Oh, right, what were you saying? Your name?"

DaGlobster

"Han. That's my name." He said in between bites. "Thanks for the compliment. Now I know that my fish is actually good. I've never really...well...met people." He said, stopping his chewing to look at Yun. "I think you're the first person I've seen around here since Grandfather died, and even then, we never really talked to people." Han said, and resumed eating his fish. he stopped again, seemingly lost in thought. He glanced awkwardly at her a few more times. He looked like he had some words at the tip of his tongue, but they didn't seem to want to come out. "So, you're a training warrior? I mean, you mentioned something about a mentor, and I assume that's your gear over there..." He rambled again. he was nervously twirling the fish in his hands.

Rhindeer

Yun nodded. "Mhmm, that's mine! Warrior in training, yup. I was supposed to meet my mentor in town, but of course I had to go and take the 'shortcut'," she said with a slight pout. "Which of course means I'm now gonna be way later. Would've worked if not for some stupid plant..."

She spit a piece of bone out into her hand and took another bite. "So, uh...Han. You don't ever go into the city or anything? How come?"

It was pretty obvious he was the awkward type that didn't get out much. He kept looking at her like he didn't know what to make of her! And in some ways, that made her kind of sad, because that sounded awfully lonely, if he'd really been on his own without his grandfather all this time.

DaGlobster

DaGlobster

"No, I don't. Grandfather took me from there to begin with, to get away from his psychotic wife. He told me if I go back, she'll find me, although I reckon if I wait for long enough it'll be safe." He said. He looked behind him, noticed the fire was starting to smolder, and got up. It took him a few tries, but he eventually got a burst of water out of his hand, extinguishing the fire and dimming the light inside the hut a little. Some light still poured in from the windows.

Kruz'Iik needed to get closer.  He needed to go deeper. He yearned for it.

Han walked back to the stool from the fire. His movements had an indescribably hypnotic property to them, and the way he navigated the hut was completely different to the way a city-dweller would. "Say, maybe when you get a bit better, you can teach me a few things? Like self defense?" He suggested, and his eyes seemed to light  up with curiosity.

Rhindeer

Yun cracked a little grin at that, watching him extinguish the sparks--and this time she didn't panic as he used his magic, but rather watched curiously, as she hadn't seen much of that. "She must be some scary old bat, huh? To keep you outta town and so secluded so long?"

She followed his movements and arched an eyebrow. "That why ya wanna learn self defense? You're afraid she'd do something to you or something? 'Cause I mean, yeah! I could show ya some stuff, easy. If you wanna come with me, that is! I really gotta go like as soon as I feel well enough, 'cause Kuan, she's...well, she's kinda a hardass."

Yun looked at him with a lopsided smile. "So yeah! If you wanna tag along, I can show you some moves. Promise I won't let some crazy old lady getcha. I can take her, I bet."

DaGlobster

Han's face lit up. "Really? Thank you!" He said as he excitedly put his hands on Yun's shoulders again. Again came the flush of positiveness. In fact, it seemed to be giving her strength. He immediately pulled away from her, and entered what could only be described as a makeshift martial arts pose, throwing a few out of form punches. He stopped himself immediately after, awkwardly straightening out and returning his hands to his side, a sheepish smile on his face. "I always wanted to learn, but Grandfather didn't know any fighting, and he didn't dare let me stray near the city. He told me the only fighting I needed was magic, and spent his time training me in that." He explained, grabbing his forearm and rubbing it nervously. "Say...do you...um..." He trailed off, searching for appropriate words. "Do...do you have a boyfriend?" he finally asked, his face flushing with red.

Kruz'Iik had set the bait, now it was time to see if the fish would bite.

Rhindeer

Yun's cheeks puffed out with the effort it took not to laugh. He was so excited, like a puppy she'd just thrown a bone! Excited and...and his stance was all wrong, his punches sloppy. She found herself silently critiquing him and realizing that, oh man...she had promised him something that was going to take a lot of work on her end! Man. Did she look that ridiculous when she first started?

And yet, ridiculous as he looked, it was all kinda...

Cute.

Realizing she was staring without really hearing what he was saying, her shoulders still tingling warmly where his hands had been, she focused back in--just in time to hear his question.

Her cheeks flushed hotly, red traveling clear up to her ears.

"Huh?" Had he just...? Suddenly, Yun was quite interested in looking everywhere but at him. "I...uh...well...no. I mean, uh, I haven't really..." She scratched the back of her neck. "I don't even got a betrothed, I was just...kinda...always doing warrior stuff and--why?"

DaGlobster

Kruz'Iik smiled, and laughed, a laugh that entered the small pocket dimension he had created just for Yun as a breeze. The fish was biting.

Han looked so red, he might just burst into flames at any moment. He opened his mouth, but nothing but silence came out. After finding his tongue, he spoke up again. "it's just that...oh, goddesses, preserve me...you're...kind of really cute." he said, shocked at the bluntness of his own statements. He needed to stop speaking. He was embarrassing himself in front of Grandfather. He glanced towards the painting, then to the floor, and then out the window, and then his eyes locked onto Yun again. Somewhere out in the jungle outside the cottage, a bird sounded off. It made a series of rhythmic clicking noises punctuated with tweets and whistles.

Rhindeer

"W-what...?" Yun's eyes went wide and, if possible, her face grew even redder, her heart beating faster. She wanted to melt into the bed with embarrassment! She'd been called a lot of things in her life, but never cute.

Or rather, she'd never been called cute in a way that was genuine and not patronizing. And not by a really cute guy!

She drew her legs up to her chest and hugged them, kind of wishing she could hide, because none of her training had prepared her for how to deal with these sorts of feelings and the panic and confusion and weird fluttering that came with it. "You've...haha, you've gotta be joking. That's a joke, right?"

DaGlobster

Han chose to keep quite for a few seconds, collecting his thoughts as he waved his hand towards the stool by her bed. It moved back a foot, and he sat down on it, running his fingers through his hair. "Would I have any reason to joke about that? Why...why would I joke about that?" he asked. This confused him greatly. Why would she be turning down a compliment?

"No, it's not a joke." He said, directing his eyes towards hers.

Rhindeer

"I dunno..." Yun admitted, mumbling into her knees. That was kind of a rude thing to say, huh? "I guess 'cause I'm used to hearing it as a joke? Eheh...wow...uh..."

She looked away as he looked at her, feeling uncharacteristically shy. "I guess 'cause, uh...you're really cute too, so, uh..."

DaGlobster

Now, it was time for Han to flush up. He sucked in some air, his cheeks getting even redder than before. Back at the small fire, a flame sparked up. "You...you...really?" He exclaimed, the uncontained excitement in his voice coming back. "I...I've never really..." He trailed off, wringing his hands together.

Rhindeer

Yun looked away from him and stared at the closest wall. "It's what I just said, isn't it?" she mumbled, face burning, before she looked back at him.

"Look, all I'm saying is it's really flattering to be called cute by someone who's also, um, attractive!"

DaGlobster

"Feeling's mutual I suppose..." He said, cracking a smile. He marveled at the sheer amount of awkwardness in the air, so thick that it could be cut with a knife. Honestly, he never really planned this far ahead, and it was plain to see in his face. "I know this is all a bit sudden, and we're complete strangers and all..." He said,  pausing for a moment to find the right words. "But I'll be damned!" He suddenly exclaimed, a surge of bravery pushing him onwards. He leaned forwards in the stool, and his hand returned to her shoulder. "After spending my entire life with only one other person, I wasn't going to let this chance just...go." He explained. There was a burning feeling in his heart, a feeling he couldn't shake.

Tags: