Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

After the Storm [Lion rawr!]

Started by Rhindeer, April 05, 2014, 10:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Hearing voices, Yasmin was up and alert in moments, her heart jumping into her throat and every muscle tensed for fight. Her sleep, like most nights, had been fitful (but thankfully, night terrors had not accompanied these dreams; she would die if Agrian knew), and she slept lightly even when she slept well.

Agrian was already up, helmet on, and she saw that he was talking to someone through the bars.  At first, Yasmin couldn't make out who. But then she heard the voice, saw the gleam of moonlight off curly, feminine hair. But more than that, it was the voice--Yasmin would never forget that voice, for it had changed her life--and her words confirmed her identity. The slaves that defied my orders.

Still seated on her cot, Yasmin couldn't help but laugh at that, the sound bursting from her lips so abruptly it surprised her. It was a surprisingly merry sound, for that statement was so...so ridiculous to her!

"Your highness," she finally managed through her laughter when it had receded to giggles. "I must apologize. I apologize, deeply, for not dying."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

Agrian felt his face burn, as he turned to look at the source of giggles.  He knew he could trust Yasmin no matter what, but he supposed there were always times when too much of anyone's attitude was enough to grate on the nerves.  He checked his anger and turned back to the Shah from the other side of the bars.  He forced his expression to relax, though his eyes glittered as little more than diamonds beneath the shadows of his helmet.

"We are the slaves," he confirmed, his voice grave.  "We are most thankful for the housing you have given us.  Maybe it's too presumptuous to say it, but these cots are far more favorable to the rattan beds beneath the Colosseum."  He'd managed to bow his head before peering at her once again.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Persea turned to Yasmin when the woman laughed out loud and was take back by such a display. The laughter actually frightened her as she hung back, her body falling into shadows as she gripped onto the hem of her robe. Her heart was pounding inside her ears, but when Agrian's much gruffer voice came out, her eyes returned to him as she released a quivering breath.

"I did not come here to seek the thanks of slaves," she told him curtly, voice still trembling over a whisper. "But such... expressions, such defiance has not been seen in years."A nd here, she tried to harden her gaze as she inquired. "I want to know why."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Feeling calmer after her little outburst (she didn't mean to, but she still found this line of questioning absurd), Yasmin passed a hand through her hair and shook her head.

"Your highness, with all due respect," she finally said, and cut a look at Agrian. Taking a deep breath, she looked back to the Shah.

"What you're asking right now is...you're asking why my friend didn't murder me."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Her brows rose upwards at the female slave's words.
"Friends?" And she spoke it so innocently, as if it were some new concept, eyes going from one slave to the other.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Yasmin frowned, feeling anger and frustration building deep inside her--because she hated this. She hated the way that woman said it, like it was a foreign concept. Like it was such a stretch to consider that she and Agrian were human, not animals.

Not monsters.

But she swallowed it back. Snapping at the Shah, of all people, would not help their very precarious situation. Instead, Yasmin let her expression soften and gave her a sad smile. She didn't have to fake it; in addition to the anger and frustration, despair was pretty quick to follow. It was demoralizing, dehumanizing, to be viewed this way.

"Well...yes, Your Highness," she said, and realized then that though the Shah may not view them as human, Yasmin knew the woman was just as capable of feeling as she was. Wasn't she? Hakeshna, she hoped so. "I've known this man since I came here five years ago, scared out of my mind and sure I was going to die. He saved me."

She laughed and waved a hand. "Ah, not in the same way as today, of course. Just in the sense that I didn't know a thing about fighting back then. I had a fairly soft life before that. With no experience, I was certain I was going to die the instant I set foot in that arena. Haha, I think I cried myself to sleep every night before the big day. Anyway, this one here--" She motioned to Agrian with a lopsided grin. "He took pity on me. Showed me some things. He didn't have to, but he did--and I survived that day. And I'm still alive now."

Yasmin rubbed some old scars on her arm, looking away, and swallowed. "We'd never fought until today. I honestly thought I'd die--he's always been better than me. And I suppose that wouldn't have been so bad, since I know he would have made sure I didn't suffer. But...well, you saw what happened. I owe him my life twice now, and Your Highness, if you asked me to kill him, I couldn't do it, either. He's my friend."

She looked up at the Shah finally. "Could you kill your dearest friend if ordered to? The friend you owe your very life to?"

visualspice

It was such a strange and new concept to her. She had grown up surrounded by slaves, and she knew their place, they knew their place, and it was just how things were. But this... this somehow made her realize things were, or could be different from her reality, and she wasn't quite sure how to take it in.

Surely this female slave could not think the Shah so heartless not to understand those feelings, but to think these slaves shared in those feelings, those sentiments...... It was turning her world upside down. And not that she was entirely naive to the concept, however, life was always set in stone- you were assigned your rightful place and that's just how it was. Who was the Shah, who had everythign anyone could ever want, to ever question that?

But question that every day she did. She did not feel the authoritative confidence her father had carried, or even that knowledgable confidence her High Priest wore so easily. They all knew their paths in life, they never questioned it...

Yet here she was, doubting just about everything that came before her, and this just trumped it all. She considered back to her own slave, to Malika, and at times, found herself treating her more like a sister than just some slave. But in the same passing breath, she could scorn her for any disobedience, which was a rarity in itself,a nd she always, always felt guilty afterwards.

But she is a slave. It still did not stop her from the way she felt, and seh tried to consider, fo ra moment, what this slave must be feeling. Yes.....
To kill one's own friend. What would she do if hse had to kill someone like Malika? Or Na'il?S he cringed at the thought. It put everything into a shattering perspective, and thoughs he sought answers, she was hoping this was not what she would find.

Lion

Agrian hadn't expected that answer out of Yasmin.  It honestly surprised him as much as it did the Shah.  Though his face remained as expressionless as before, inside he allowed himself a small mental smile.  Of course, it was a convenient cover-up for the real reason he had refused to kill her and Agrian watched how it slowly simmered and soon settled into the mind of the Shah.  She expressed more than she probably believed, for all the training she likely endured for public presentation.

He honed in on her eyes and how they gleamed in the darkness.  They were beautiful gems, it was a shame they had to be given to someone so blind to reality.  Yet there was an equally quick mind behind them and it worked, genuinely worked, to understand what was meant in the words of a lowly slave.

"It is true," he said with a bow of his head.  "I couldn't slay my friend.  Life...in the Arena is not an idle one.  Life is short, simply put.  Friends are a rare thing, for it is easy to smile at another one day, only to see them thrown into the Blood Pit the next, bodies piled upon bodies.  Always there are more.  It is only natural to wish to cling to those who you truly care for.  To treasure the time we have together, as brief as it is."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Persea found herself backing away from the cell.
"Please stop! The visuals are too much to bear!" And her legs felt wobbly and weak, a wave of acid hitting her nose andccurling in her belly. Too much to bear indeed! It made all if Essryn appear like criminals!

Rhindeer

"It's reality, Your Highness," Yasmin said, the words harsh, though she kept her voice soft. The woman was irritating her, but she tried not to let it show. Getting short with her wouldn't help them there; they needed to appeal to her humanity.

"Hearing about it is too much for you to bear, but Your Highness...it's our lives." Yasmin took a deep breath and dropped her eyes. "If hearing it is too much for you, what is living it like?"

visualspice

She did not want to think that, never wanted to picture that,  but now the pictures were inside her mind, causing her to blanch as she placed a hand over her lips. And inspite of herself, the tears sparkling over her eyes were evident and she needed to turn away from these slaves in the cell and try to remind herself they were slaves.. But the guilt and fear was impossible to shake as the Shah tried to refind herself, and her.strength, in the shadows.

Lion

"I'm sorry it is too much for you," Agrian muttered, straightening, but his eyes bored into hers.  He sighed and shook his head.  "But what did you honestly expect?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

What did she expect? Certainly not this. This was a terrible realization in which was cracking the very foundation of which she lived. But no... no! She could not let herself think such weak thoughts. Shaking her head, she slowly removed the hand from covering her lips as she released a shaking breath.

"I expected slaves to be slaves."
And she said no more, and made for a hasty retreat. She couldn't stay here any longer. Perhaps trying to seek out answers from them was the wrong thing to do- because now she was finding herself struggling over the idea that maybe, just maybe-
These slaves might be human.

Rhindeer

Yasmin watched the woman retreat, hardly breathing until she was gone. Though she would never admit it, those words hurt--even though she'd had them and others like them hurled at her countless times. That sort of casual, constant denial of her humanity never got easier to bear.

And this time, she had done the unthinkable; she had done something she had always been too afraid to do, something no slave in their right mind would consider: she had asserted her own humanity.

In the face of the Shah herself.

As soon as the Shah was gone, Yasmin let her breath out in a rush and flopped backwards onto her cot. "Oh dear Hakeshna," she said, pressing the heels of her palms to her eyes. "It will be a miracle if we survive the night."

Lion

[I am SO sorry this took FOREVER!]

Agrian was quiet as he watched the Shah disappear, peering at her as no one had any right to do so.  Something in him turned over, souring and he felt cold inside, much like the midnight draft that seeped through their cell.  Agrian finally took off his helmet when he was certain the woman was gone and he pushed back the hair from his head.

"We will live," Agrian said, more confidently than he felt.  "She's shaken.  Perhaps too shaken to come to any solid decision in this moment.  Perhaps by dawn.  Maybe then we'll see the headsman.  But tonight.  Tonight we can sleep well."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

[Aww, it's okay silly! <3]

Yasmin stared at Agrian, mouth dropping open.

"Sleep...well...?" she repeated, slowly, blinking at him owlishly. "Do you wanna repeat everything you said just now and then explain to me how any of that translates to sleeping well."

Lion

Agrian laughed and shook his head, sitting down on the cot and smiled at her.  "Just lie down.  Go to sleep and try to dream of nice things.  Like kittens or pups."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

"Kittens or pups." Yasmin snorted, and rolled onto her side so she could look at him. She cracked a grin. "Is that how you get to sleep?"

Lion

He didn't know what part to laugh at first and so he just snickered.  "I dream about sweet treats, a nice wine, long walks under the moonlight.  You know, Man Stuff," he said, grinning.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Yasmin affected a gasp, pressing her wrist to her forehead and fluttering her eyelashes in a mock swoon. "Oh, my stars! Wine and sweet treats?! Walks under the moon? You are just..." She let out a breath and let herself flop. "Soooo manly! Excuse me while I bask in your manly essence."

She paused, sniffed loudly. "Hm. Maybe that's just body odor. Same difference though, really."

Tags: