Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Out of the Frying Pan...

Started by Corria Firegrass, April 17, 2014, 08:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corria Firegrass

Tariq looked at Shinobu, treating her brother with such care. He couldn't help but notice the contrast in how she spoke about him and in how she now acted towards him. Perhaps, he thought, the feelings of the middle child were more complicated than they had initially seemed. Still, it was a fairly natural reaction not to want your brother to die of internal (and external come to think of it) trauma.

The size difference between Seiki and Shinobu was pretty sizeable, and it seemed like the latter running back carrying the former would be an awkward situation, but he was hardly going to protest "I'd ask if you wanted me to carry him but I think I know what you'd say. Do you want me to run ahead and warn them?"

Anadwen

Tariq's gaze was met with a surprised look from Shinobu. Her dark eyes glimmered with something that could have been thankfulness, or even hope, and she nodded quietly. "Yes. I would be grateful to you if you did so. Inform father, he will know what to do." she spoke silently, making sure that her grip around Seiki was hard, yet did not harm him. She would never forgive herself if she would do any harm to her precious brother...

Keeping her attention on him, her feet launched her off the ground, and she bolted through the trees with surprising speed. She ran as if her life depended on it; in fact, that was not so far from the truth - only that it was Seiki's life on the line instead of hers. Even though she was cold on the outside, in her heart was an inferno unquenchable, and she'd do almost anything for her brother whom she loved so dearly. The trees flashed around her as nothing but smudged lines of brown and green, that was how fast she ran, despite the tension in her muscles that carrying Seiki caused. He was heavy in her arms, but she paid no heed to that.
Finally, the safety of the first sakura trees began opening up before her. They were heavenly to her sight, lighting up hope inside her heart, a hope telling her that she'd have enough time to get him home safely.

For a moment, she slowed down, to catch her breath, before she begun running again, though her arms were already burning with exhaustion, and her heart beat like a bell inside her chest. 

Corria Firegrass

Those eyes. He saw them. He saw in them a softness and humanity he hadn't seen before from Shinobu. He could tell that she hadn't expected him to offer that. Perhaps she thought that he was just going to turn tail and run given the chance. Tariq could understand why the girl would think that. He did have a touch of the roguish about him but to leave the family in this state, to leave the people who'd saved his life and shown him the first shred of kindness in a year, that wasn't going to happen.

Tariq nodded and bounded up towards the treetops. He could cover more distance faster from up there, and boy did he, he seemed to teleport from treetop to treetop but in reality, this was forest parkour, he'd done something similar on the tops of the buildings of his hometown, as well as shipmasts aboard the Sea Kadiir. He couldn't help but feel somewhat euphoric with the wind running through his hair and batting his face, but he did not lose sight of the seriousness of the situation.

He barely had time to think as he bounded and by the time he had seen the Sakura trees he was already very far into them, approaching the Adachi estate at a breakneck speed. When he arrived at the front gates he scaled and jumped over them, there were no guards and Isako's window was open so he bounded up into it and climbed in, collapsing on his knees and panting heavily.

Anadwen

The window to Isako's room was indeed open, letting the breeze in as she browsed through her wardrobe for an appropriate article of clothing for today. Hesitating, she took a look at a soft, rose-colored gown, but then shook her head, and returned it to the wardrobe. No, she was in no mood for this bright one... Deep in thought, she pondered above choosing a more elaborate, shorter, and more exquisite dark blue and purple dress.
But then, something thudded on the floor, a shadow leaping in through the window.
She screamed, pressing the dress onto her body with her dainty arms, and backed up into the wardrobe, wide-eyed staring at the stranger on the floor.
Wait, it was no stranger... It was Tariq! Gasping, she took another step back, for a long time unable to get a word out.

"What... What are you doing in my room?" she burst out at him finally. "I was dressing up! And you should have been on the way already! Did you run away from Seiki? Did something happen? Explain this to me!" she prompted him, still taking a defensive stance, though her 'defensive stance' seemed comical at the very best.

In the meantime, Shinobu had carried Seiki further, no matter the exhaustion. The Sakura trees grew taller, and their petals whirled around the Adachi girl in her frantic run, propelled up by her feet and the sheer speed of her movement. She needed to get closer...
At once, she felt Tariq's spiritual pressure moving close to her, but then it drew further again; that was only for the better. He'd call Haru... And father...

Corria Firegrass

Tariq averted his eyes very definitively from Isako and went a tiny bit red. It was certainly not the most ideal of circumstances for him to have bounded gracefully into a lady's bedroom. Why did she have to be changing? Why, for once in his life, could he not have a situation with the opposite sex that didn't result in this kind of ludicrous awkwardness. Things did not seem to go right for Tariq. Still.

"Calm down Isako I've not ran away from Seiki." He responded, feeling the need to chuckle a little bit at her attempts to sound authoritative "We ran into something in the forest. Something big, something hungry. We defeated it but Seiki..." Tariq thought back to the state Seiki was in and a pang of genuine worry hit him "He's not in a good way. I'm here to let your father and... Someone called Haru know, apparently they'll know what to do"

Anadwen

Seiki. Not in a good way. Something hungry.
At those words, Isako's eyes widened. Something was wrong with Seiki... Big brother... No! She struggled not to drop the dress, but instead of it, she pulled the closest simple gown from the wardrobe, wrapping it around her small figure, and tossed the dress onto the bed as she tied the thick sash around her waist. The white silk did indeed compliment her, but compared to her usual garments, she appeared ghastly - just as she felt.
If Seiki needed Haru... It meant that it was all bad.

She grabbed Tariq by the shoulder, and frantically muttering something hardly coherent bolted out of the room, barefoot, and wild like a wolf off the chain. "We gotta get Haru, Haru's on the bottom floor, we go get Haru first, then you call father, I get Haru out, we have to hurry and we can make it, but we have to let them know, and Shinobu disappeared, so Shinobu can't help us, I searched for her, but she's gone, and it means that Haru is the only one that can help us!" though her shallow breaths she spit word after word, dragging him across corridors and down stairs, till finally reaching a wide door, painted with crimson flowers.
She pushed it open, revealing the figure in a beautiful crimson kimon, working on a bouquet in a painted vase. "Haru! Come quickly! It's about Seiki! Seiki need us!" she blurted out, only then stopping for a moment to catch her breath.
The woman in red stood up abruptly, though not without elegance. She was beautiful, more so than any other Adachi lady, though she bore a clear resemblance to the head of the house and his sons and daughters. She gave her a nod, as if already knowing everything, and followed Isako out of her room, not uttering a single word.

It was then when a strong surge of spiritual pressure appeared out of nowhere, like a lightning shaking the senses of anyone that could feel it, and disappeared at once. It could not be mistaken for anyone else's - that was doubtlessly Shinobu.

Isako froze in her tracks, and shook her head. "No. Can't get father. He felt it, I don't doubt it. Haru, we have to hurry up!" she proclaimed, and let go off both of them, herself bolting towards the main entrance. Haru bowed her head in understanding. "That was Shinobu's spiritual presence. It is an emergency signal. Tariq, be so kind, and do inform the head of the house."
With no more than that, she was suddenly gone in a flash.

Shinobu sank to her knees, finally hitting the familiar steps, and at once, a massive amount of spiritual energy was released. It was strong enough to be sensed from afar, and would warn everyone in the house of her presence. Her chest heaved with breaths that she forced in and out, in and out, only managing as much without dropping Seiki's body, that now rested in her lap, pressed tightly onto her chest, though the gaping hole under his ribs was staining her crimson. Her hands traced up to his back, all the way to his head, and bore into his soft hair, sinking in, and pushing it up, above her shoulder. She could hardly catch her breath, so exhausted she was.
The door was suddenly pushed open, and Isako's figure, standing in it, was revealed, closely followed by the crimson-garbed Haru.
"Seiki!" Isako shrieked, bolting forth towards her, and throwing herself onto her knees, hands begging for Shinobu to let her brother slide into her arms, where she was sure that he'd be safe. But it was Haru, not Shinobu, who would get to take care of Seiki. Shinobu, quivering softly, slowly unclenched her hands, which were tightly wrapped around him till then, and let his figure slide off her lap onto the wooden floor before the main door.

Corria Firegrass

The house had been thrown into panic, Tariq felt it. The sheer amount of disarray that Isako had been thrown into was completely unlike anything Tariq had ever seen in her. Despite this, it was something he never doubted the girl was capable of. Isako was a girl of extreme personalities, be it extreme happiness or, as was the case now, extreme panic. He felt the need to answer every single muttering she made to herself with a reassuring response but he decided that that probably wasn't the best thing to do.

Haru, this new face was captivating. From the moment that he saw her Tariq found himself a little fascinated by her presence. She was utterly beautiful. Tariq wasn't exactly attracted to her himself; she was not exactly his type but she still had an allure to her that was undeniable. Her presence made him realise something else.

He was not used to having his power back yet. She was incredibly powerful, as was the house and the aura of the place was having some massive affect on Tariq, like a combination between intoxication and an adrenaline rush. He felt faster, more alert, more on point but also a little bit like he was getting swept up in these new sensations, he felt in control but it was almost like he was making the decisions he was making before he even realised there were decisions there. It was thrilling. And when the surge from Shinobu hit him he felt like he was going to white out or climax.

When Haru told him what to do he rushed honed in on Takuya's energy and found the man very quickly in his chamber, not bothering to knock this time he stood in the doorway panting and looked at the house Patriarch, who seemed completely composed, as always "Sorry pops, I know you weren't expecting to see me again but you know what's going down I'm sure?"

Anadwen

Though he kept his coolly reserved face even in this moment, Takuya was taken at an utter surprise by Tariq in the doorway. He did not know, but he was sure that if the prisoner was calling forhim, something must have happened to Seiki; that, too, would explain the strong pulse of Shinobu's spiritual pressure just momentd ago. Wordlessly, he arose, and with long, swift steps carried himself forth, towards the main door, where he sensed Isako, Shinobu, and Haru, too.
Yet, what he saw he did not expect.

In the meantime, Haru had summoned a few guards, who were ready to carry Seiki off under Haru's supervision, while Isako sat beside Shinobu, comforting her as she could, though obviously to no avail, since the eldest Adachi daughter was not listening. The girl shook her, but Shinobu's eyes were blank. Moments after, she collapsed onto the floor from exhaustion. Haru would take good care of Seiki. Her job was done,

However, Takuya wasn't as pleased. His eyes searched for the captive, and his look was grim. "I demand an explanation. What had happenned? Explain it to me at once." he proclaimed proudly.

Corria Firegrass

At this stage, Tariq himself was having trouble keeping conscious, and he had to sit down, legs crossed. He could feel his adrenaline peak wearing off and his breathing was heavy. It was just him, Takuya, Isako and the guards now.

"Seiki and I had been walking for a few hours towards Reajh, we'd reached the main forest outside of the estate, and had been walking for some time but... Something caught us. I didn't know what it was or what it was looking for. As far as I know it was just hungry."

Talking about it made him think back, the details in his head were a little bit hazy, as if everything before this spiritual awakening had been behind a veil, as if it had only been a part of himself experiencing it.

"Seiki fought it... initially I couldn't see it, I couldn't fight it but I could tell it was incredibly strong, stronger than the creature that attacked me in your gardens before by fathoms, they seemed to fight for hours but... it began to get the better of Seiki and he seemed to do something quite... Last resort. His spiritual energy seemed to just, emanate from him, like a sort of mist and then... All the veils came off, whatever had been keeping my own energy dormant just released. And I saw it... This... This thing, it's batlike wings and white horned mask.It was enormous, absolutely massive. Me and Seiki combined our energies and it went down. I think Seiki called it a great spirit, we call those things Devas where I'm from"

Anadwen

A slow nod was all that the head of the Adachi house produced, his long, silky hair sliding down, shadowing his sharp features. The burden the man bore was heavy, indeed, and only then it became apparent; though he stood tall, his expression was serious beyond measure. His own son... His own son. Why did he cast himself into danger so recklessly? Seiki wasn't stupid, that was doubtless. Yet, he was still young. It mattered not how good a warrior he was, he was young and not ripe yet; but he thrust himself into a fight, and sacrificed himself for his honor. He was too old for how young his body was... Shaking head, Takuya raised a head at Tariq.
"The situation was dire. You did well. You deserve rest now. Isako. Make sure he receives it." he spoke, and noiselessly walked back into the residence.

More guards appeared, picking the unconscious body of Shinobu up, and carrying her off. The only ones who remained now were Isako and Tariq.

Isako sat there, quivering, tears running down her cheeks as she hugged her shoulders, confused and distressed. It was apparent that she could hardly give Tariq any help would one look at her. She was too distressed by everything, by even seeing Seiki in that desperate state, by the sudden turn things took... And she had no clue what to do but to cry.

Corria Firegrass

Tariq sat for a few seconds, thinking. He was back in the Adachi's house. Again. He began to think of all the logistical conundrums. What was going to happen now? He couldn't bear the idea that he was still going to be sent back to Ketra. Still that wasn't at the forefront of his mind. He knew he couldn't help Seiki now, and he knew he'd done enough but he wanted to at least be able to make sure the man was okay now. But that wasn't at the forefront of his mind either.

Isako.

Little Isako had been thrown into panic and confusion. She sat there holding onto herself, distressed and unsure of what was going on. Tariq felt a pang of affection, and care for the girl. She looked so small, so helpless. Tariq moved towards her and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into a strong embrace.

Anadwen

Tariq... Isako was surprised to find him so caring. His sudden embrace made her pull her arms from her chest, and she gasped, looking up at him with crimson eyes, in which glimmered tears, crystal-clear. Then, she broke into tears again, but this time, it was somewhat different.
"Tariq... I'm... I was... So afraid... Bad... Bad things... Happen all the time..." she sobbed, throwing her arms around him, too, just to feel another person close and have his warmth near. A welcome sensation. She wanted it to continue, to know that she isn't alone.

It would take her a few minutes to calm down, but the tears would eventually stop, and she would remain in his embrace, not letting go till she felt completely safe. Only then would she withdraw, with her teary eyes looking into his, and wiping her cheeks, she smiled at him hesitantly.
"I'm glad you... You're here... I know I'm not all alone... I was afraid something bad would happen to brother... It's all your doing that he's alive, right?"

Corria Firegrass

Tariq held Isako gently, stroking her hair with deep, strong care. She wasn't alone, Tariq wasn't going to let her be alone. As he was holding her he surprised himself immensely with the feeling of a few tears running down his own cheeks, whether it was exhaustion or care or whatever it may have been. He wasn't used to it "Hey, it's okay... You're safe, Isako."

When Isako pulled away and stared into his eyes he smiled back with all the warmth and beauty he possessed within him. "You're not alone Isako, I'm here." He took her hand and squeezed onto it firmly.

'It's all your doing that he's alive'

Tariq was taken aback by this particular comment. Had he... Saved Seiki's life? He hadn't thought of it like that at all. They had fought the beast together but Tariq barely did anything and then it was Shinobu and Haru who really were helping him now. "My doing?" He asked, almost embarrassed, only able to muster a small "Well... I did my best to help"

Anadwen

"That's... That's the most important." she nodded, closing her eyes softly. "You know... In our family... The bad things happen more than the good ones... But... We're dragons, so we keep fighting even then... Are you a dragon, too?"
She gave him an innocent smile, and took him by the hand, forcing herself to stand up, too. "Because... You weren't giving up, either."

She was glad that she met him. After all, she was glad. "Come. I... I want to check up on him and see if he's okay... And you look tired, too..." she spoke, sliding a few strands of silky black hair behind her ear.