Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Justice Falls on Deaf Ears (Spice!)

Started by Ivory, April 25, 2014, 02:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

"It's always good to have another Duke owe you, isn't it?" Audric prompted with a chuckle.  Look at him go with all his politicking!  "Give your family my best wishes, Leif.  And my thanks.  Sometimes, I'm glad Nera doesn't know what's going on.  She'd give me hell -- worse than I got for disappearing during the flood."

It was simpler, sometimes, even if lying did hurt...  He did love her, after all, but some truths were best kept hidden.

visualspice

"And you're just lucky you found such a comfy chair because of the ass you call a friend who sits pretty on the Grand Duke's throne." He shook his head. "How did you ever become friends with that thing?" A repulsive thought indeed.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Audric's gaze momentarily darkened, but, after counting to ten, he decided it would be wiser not to pick a fight with his only ally over whether or not Calent was an ass.  Leif had good reason to believe as much, anyway...

Instead, he said, "I was a ward of his father's."  More softly, sadly, he added, "He wasn't always like this.  He was a good man, once.  Until his hatred got the better of him."

visualspice

Leif gave a snort.
"Good men do not start wars."
And as far as Leif saw it, the Grand Duke was every bit of the enemy; just as Leif's father was. Bastard. The lot of them, and he turned away angrily from his friend. He always believed it was him against the world, for it seemed, so far.... Well, That was really how life truly was. And embracing the masked persona only helped to amplify that sensation, or to prove it, or embellish it, or whatever else the mask could mean....
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Leif was hardly any better with his one-man war against all of Connlaoth...  It was true that Calent had done more harm than Leif ever could alone, but that was of little comfort to the wives, to the children, and to the parents of those who crossed the Masked Mordecai; Audric had watched Leif fight, after all, and he knew an impressive number of men had been killed by Leif's hand.

And at his own.

Instead of share his thoughts, Audric's hand settled on Leif's shoulder.  "We all do what we feel we must.  I, for instance, must go say goodnight to my family and get back to entertaining my guest.  You're welcome to stay the night, Leif.  As always."

visualspice

Leif let out an irritable sigh.
"I should really get back to Castavar..."
His wife, certainly, would be furious with him.

Ivory

"You know, you should really let your wife know where you're going, in the very least, so that she doesn't worry.  Nera doesn't know what I'm doing, but I always let her know I'll be gone."  It was only polite, after all -- but he certainly wasn't going to step between those two.  Keep out of others' marriages -- sound advice from Rosie.

"It's getting late to travel, anyway, and we should, I think, have a chat about the Church."  A very frank chat...  "I won't find the time to leave Allar anytime soon, I'm afraid.  But you're always welcome to visit.  We can let our wives and children run amuck while we catch up."

Because the Molneuxs -- Duke, Duchess, and children all -- tended to run amuck anyway.

visualspice

Leif gave an irritably sigh.
"I had to leave quickly. There was no time to explain," he cut. "And if I were to leave now, I could arrive come evening tomorrow, back in Castavar." ANd that was assuming he rode hard all night. But once he went on the topic of the church, he frowned.
"Do you have more news?" he asked, voice lowering.

Ivory

Audric gave his head a slight shake.  "No.  But I think it's time we talked strategy."

Because what they had done to his home -- to Attie -- was unforgivable.

...And, besides, if Leif had given her over to the Church, for the sake of his family more than anything, Audric needed to know how much they knew.

visualspice

"The church is going to fall," Leif growled. "It's as simple as that. And be fully exposed for what they have done to her."

Ivory

"Strategy," Audric reminded him with a soft tut-tut.  "But that's a conversation, I think for another night."  His smile was warm and genuine, yet tired, as he offered, "Come back and visit, Leif.  We'll talk then.  In the meantime, I'll ask around.  Covertly."

visualspice

With a nod, Leif exited, not even with so much as a goodbye. He had to get back home, and during that journey he intended to figure out a plan to explain this all to his wife. She still had no idea Attie was still alive....

But he wouldn't make it out of the city. The men had been waiting patiently, like shadows. He hadn't even been looking for the tell tale signs he might have been followed. But those that had done this knew they had not fully succeeded- for both Leif Arrant was alive, and so was the Duke of Allar. And if they had survived that entire catastrophe...

Who's to say their little mage hadn't, too? Rumors implied the flood had been something else, but they knew better. So when Leif Arrant was spotted approaching the castle, they watched him closely. And the second he was alone (for he was a fool,a nd seemed to always be alone...) It was the they decided to strike.

It couldn't have been more perfect. Lord Arrant was dressed more commonly, and sticking to the alley ways and the less populated roads. Which was exactly where they had been perched. So when the men struck out-
It was a complete surprise.

The mace came down hard, knocking him clean off the horse and he was eating cobblestone as his horse freaked out as a series of men came out from the shadows. He barely had a chance to recover when he heard the sounds of swords being drawn. And that's when a fist full of his hair was grabbed, and the man was yanked off the floor. But where as the men believed the'yd have time to draw back their swords and incapacitate the man, Leif flung himself bodily at the attackers and knocked one to the ground, while the others fought to get a hold of him, but what tey werne't prepared for was when his horse was helping in the fight, for when Leif gave a  whistle, the horse reared up and kicked one f the men over, and he was down for the fight, leaving at least two still on their feet while the first was still picking himself up from the ground.

Now able to access the situation, Leif swore between his teeth and spat out blood and reached for his own blade.
"Come on, just try to come at me."

~~~~

Calent had just about seen all there was to be seen in the paper work, but found himself sitting there by candle light, lamenting over what had come to pass. ANd like the dancing flame that could not sit still, neither could his restless mind.

Ivory

"That took a little longer than I had expected," Audric apologized as he returned to the office.  His eyes swept over Calent and pile of papers splayed out before him.  He already knew what was written on each and every one, and little of it was good news.

"Did you find a way to move those numbers around so that they actually work?"

Calent had a better head for numbers than he did...though his sister had helped him a bit with some of it.

visualspice

Calent frowned deeply at the paper work before sighing.
"If my numbers are correct, and I'm sure they are, I'll need a tax increase effective immediately to fix this catastrophe."
And wouldn't that just raise his approval among the masses? He peered over at Audric.
"Is your family well?" he asked, tiredly, and in the dim lighting, Calent appeared so old, worn and grey.

~~~

While elsewhere, another man was fighting for his life. Ducking here, and dodging there, Leif was practically dancing as the men came at him. He slashed his sword swiftly, cutting one man away while another parried his sword. The noise run throughout the ally way, startling the nesting birds upon a roof top and dropping grey feathers upon the chaos and fighting below.

Ivory

Audric leaned against the doorframe, looking much more lively than his counterpart.  Becoming the Grand Duke had not agreed with his health, it seemed -- and little wonder, with danger, accusations, and unrest at every turn.

"Well.  Nera's a wonderful mother.  I'm not sure I could have done this without her.  And my sisters..."  He grinned broadly.  "The oldest is finally remarried.  Too old now for any more children, but the gentleman in question doesn't seem to mind.  He's a retired navigator off a ship that's sailed around the world.  The kids adore him.  And my oldest niece is look at marriage already herself -- next spring, in fact, if what I hear is true."

visualspice

Calent gave a slow, tired nod, his eyes seemingly elsewhere, as was his mind.
"At least there's some bit of good news," he went on, sighing. "I am exhausted. Perhaps I should retire for the night."

~~~

Which should have been the course of action Lord Arrant should have taken, instead of finding himself, beating sword off of sword, and acquiring a few sharp slashes to his shoulder. Growling through his teeth, he rammed his sword forward and shoved his fist across one man's face, only to feel a bad cut at his back as he stumbled forward. He was out numbered, and the place was dark...

But hopefully he could use the darkness to his advantage as he turned around sharply on his heal and slashed the nearest man across his face, then made another quick swipe to smack back the advancing blade of another assailant.

Yes... if he had only not been so stubborn....
Leif Arrant might not have found himself backed up into the corner of that ally way...
and angered men swiftly approaching him- the promise of death in their eyes.

Ivory

"Indeed," he answered with a smile.  Yes, his family had always meant a great deal to him...  They were doing well, even in the midst of such chaos.

"I'll show you to your room," he offered politely, stepping away from the doorframe with an expectant air.  "You're welcome to stay as long as you like, Calent.  As always."

And Audric was blissfully unaware of the dramatic showdown happening elsewhere...

visualspice

So while the Grand Duke was being escorted safely to his room (that of which felt quite odd to Calent, considering this was his childhood home...), Leif was still sharing a most dangerous dance.
Cornered and terribly out numbered, Leif growled as he watched the men's iron blades glisten in the darkness. They were quick to approach, but cautious; as was Leif, and when they came at him, the nobleman swung out his blade, catching two of them while a third struck at his side. He ignored it and managed to push the blades forward, steel grating, sparking as he tried to desperately think of a way out.

"It seems you've kept the place well," Calent went on, observing the halls and rooms as he went.

Ivory

"My wife," Audric agreed with a warm smile for the absent lady.  "Nera deserves all the credit.  If it were up to me, I'm sure the palace would stand in ruins.  I still don't have the patience for this administrative mumbo-jumbo."  Because, really, that's all it was: mumbo-jumbo.

There was an absent fondness in the way he spoke of her -- there always was.  He adored his wife unashamedly, after all!

"Do you need anything before you retire?"

visualspice

Calent draped a hand over his face, pinching the bridge of his nose before rubbing at the sleep in his eyes.
"No... I think just to retire. I'll be sure to make leave in the morning at first light." Thinking of his own wife left him a bit pensive. She hadn't been happy he left..
But he had obligations after all.

And while he was worrying about obligations, the heir of Castavar was still dancing and parrying the swinging swords coming his way. He let out a grunt and side stepped and pushed through, only to have a sword come down in a flash of white,a nd cut sharply at his cheek.