Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Justice Falls on Deaf Ears (Spice!)

Started by Ivory, April 25, 2014, 02:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

Audric rubbed his eyelids with his fingertips, much in the same way Calent had at this very desk in years past.  His head pounded as he went through the figures again.  No matter which way he calculated the sums, it didn't seem like it was enough.  For the first time in at least fifty years, money was flowing backwards out of the Allarrian palace and back into the capital, funding the rebuilding of first the harbor walls, then the palace, and finally to the people themselves.  The harbor walls had had to be rushed; if winter set in before repairs were made, they might have the same problem come spring...  The palace still had a long way to go before it could, truly, be returned to the marvelous state in which Audric had inherited it...but at least it was functional now.  And the city...  The city remained a mess.  He had only agreed to the repairs to the palace, because Nera had suggested it might provide additional shelter to some of the homeless women and children...and that meant there was an entire wing now dedicated to that, as well!

Audric, with his wife's blessing, had spent most of his own fortune on the repairs and humanitarian relief.  Many of the nobles and wealthier citizens were doing their part as well, but, with winter approaching, it wasn't enough.  The city's funds had been used for the wall -- that was what they were there for, wasn't it? -- and would be used to fix the streets and public buildings...but it was primarily private money that had to pay for the citizens.  And that was only part of the problem...  Some had lost everything -- they couldn't afford food or winter clothes to replace what was lost, but taxing the winter stores too much could starve them all.

Damn Calent for putting him in this position!

Strangely, it never crossed his mind to curse Leif or Attie as he looked over the papers one final time.

visualspice

Calent had been late- as it seemed he always was for conventions outside of kissing ass with Hellvion in the north. That duchy had been trying, but in order to keep all duchies unified, he had to keep making peace with the easily irritable Duchess Melora. Part of him had to wonder if her husband was keeping her in check, but stilled his tongue over such suggestions. He did not want the ire of the north upon him, and Hellvion was a nice asset to have with this war. Though they offered little military support, the money coming in was more than substantial to help float some of the excessive costs of war. For unlike most wars, this was not meant for conquering new lands, but to keep the peace among Connlaoth's own citizens, and to hear what had happened on the other Northern end of his country, in his birth place of Allar, no less, had him more than irate.

He was home for barely a few days before preparing himself to address this matter personally with Duke Molneux, and though his wife was heavy with child, he could only prey to Ansgar for hers and the baby's safety when the babe was born. For now, Allar was his concern, and with that duchy hit heavily financially before the warning of a gravely long winter, he was more than on edge to see what could be done of it, and he wasted no time in seeing his own self in,- for there was no need for grand introductions at a time like this-

So it was not long when Calent appeared at his door and stepped inside without so much as a knock.
"Busy at my old desk, I see."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Audric had not been expecting him -- at least, he had not been expecting him any time soon.  This was a grave matter, but he never would have expected him to leave his pregnant wife at home alone...  Especially not given the health problems their first child had suffered...

So when he appeared in the doorway, Audric jerked to his feet with a murmur of surprise.  "Calent..."  He smiled, in spite of the circumstances, and he stepped around the edge of the desk to greet his friend properly.  "What in Angsar's name are you doing here?"

visualspice

"What do you mean what am I doing here? I might be the Grand DUke, but when I hear my own home duchy has been submerged in ocean waters, what did you expect my reaction would be?" The agitation was obvious in his voice, and it was nearly barked out across the room as Calent stood before him, no amusement clear on his face. He had been traveling endlessly this year, and it was paying a high toll on the man, from dark circles becoming ever more prominent beneath his eyes, and a sharpness to his face carved from the wind and simpler, sparser meals during travel.
"Tell me everything in conclusive detail, starting from the beginning, and while we go over the particulars, let me take a look around. I want to see what damage this, this.. catastrophe has caused to the city."

Oh, would not his own father turn in his grave now? His grave...
and it was only then he wondered..
would the waters have washed away the dead? He made a mental note to be sure to visit the family crypt.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

"I only meant," Audric answered, reflexively holding his hands out in front of him to ward off the anger, "That I had expected you to wait until the baby is born."  Rising on his order, he reflexively picked up the small bundle of papers -- then immediately set it back down again.  He knew the numbers, knew where it all had happened...  He had been there, after all.

"I'll show you around, but I can tell you what happened, Calent."  Not that this was going to put him in any better of a mood.  Rather than lead him outside, however, he stepped by to close the door heavily.  "A mage."

visualspice

Calent's expression showed no ounce of surprise. He had suspected as much and pursed his lips in thought. The remark on his child, for now, was ignored, as he nodded, "Then show me, and tell me what you know."

Ivory

The city tour could come later.  This was information Audric didn't want leaking out to the public...  They were in enough of a stir as it was at the mere rumor of a mage; if they found out it really had been a mage, regardless of her innocence, they would go crazy!

And the details, well...  He wouldn't have believed it himself if he hadn't been there.

"When I'm done explaining what happened -- what really happened -- I'll show you.  But the fact it was a mage..."  He paused a moment, then added pointedly, "I don't want to panic the city, Calent.  Or anyone else."

"The flooding started here at the palace..."  He paused again, furrowing his brow slightly.  "That isn't exactly right.  The flooding started all over the city, and the water was drawn to the palace by the mage.  And when the harbor wall broke..."  Well...  One could imagine...

"But it wasn't an attack -- not by the mage, anyway.  She was locked in that tower, Calent, and when we got to her, she begged to be killed, because she couldn't stop the water.  She was brought to Allar, locked in that tower, and made to cause that flood."

(OOC: Audric thinks if he doesn't just spew it all out in one breath, Calent will leave before he can get it out!)

visualspice

Calent made a face. He had suspected as much, that a mage was up to no good as he nodded.
"And was she killed? This mage menace?"

Ivory

The question made Audric's eyes narrow slightly, in thought more than in anger.  Rather than answer the question, he asked, "And you aren't curious to know who would commit such an act?  Calent, they're turning mages into weapons and turning them against our people.  A sword can be broken, but a man can always forge another."  Really!  What the hell was he thinking?

visualspice

Calent's eyes hardened.
"And what do you think we fight this war over?" He said, voicing raising dangerously in it's tone. "Mages house natural weapons in their blood. Of course they'd rally together and use their own kind as a weapon. What do you think our soldiers are battling with everyday?"

Ivory

Yes, he saw, Calent was determined to be blind to all this...

Audric deliberately took a deep breath, lest his own temper get carried away.  "Do you remember when I told you about the rumors I heard about the Church experimenting on mages?  The ones you dismissed without a second thought?  I have reason to believe it was they -- not the mages themselves -- that orchestrated this attack.  I'm not saying the mages aren't a threat, Calent, but I want you to realize that they aren't the only enemy we're facing."

visualspice

Calent made a face.
"The church?" He could have laughed. "Why on earth would the church attack the capital in Allar?" It  made absolutely no sense!

Ivory

"I think," he said slowly, "The capital's importance was only coincidental.  They had a water mage -- a water mage they had altered through torture..."  The thought made him frown deeply; he remembered all-too keenly that foray.  "...And made more powerful.  She said she had been forced to do this before -- to flood a city."

visualspice

"And naturally, she lied," Calent went on, brows dipping sharply as he looked at Audric. "The church has no reason to go against our own God, Audric. And to make mages stronger? That feat is laughable."
If anything... the church, he knew, was seeking out a cure. But what if....? The hackles on the back of his neck stood on end and he inwardly shook that thought away. To think if the church had accidently been able to make a mage stronger rather than 'cure' them was just a blasphemous thought in itself!

"What sorts of leads do you have? You said it was a woman?" ANd here, his face hardened. "Who?" The words were a command.

Ivory

"If she had lied," Audric answered softly, "I do not think she would have begged to be killed or stood by passively as I raised my weapon against her.  She wanted to be released of it, Calent.  There would have been nothing to gain through such a lie."

And it had been heart-wrenching...

The question of who the mage had been was answered only with the lifting of Audric's eyebrows.  "I don't know many mages, Calent, and there was hardly time for a tea party."

visualspice

"So you spared the guilty parties life and did not even get a name? Audric," Calent was fuming. "I appointed you Duke of Allar for a reason. And this certainly wasn't it!"

Ivory

"Who said I spared her?" Audric asked quietly, his own gaze hard as he stared down the Grand Duke.  "I pitied her, yes, and I believed what she told me.  But the harbor wall had broken, and she, herself, said death would be the only end to the flooding."  More roughly, he added, "I did what I had to, and I make no apologies for it."

visualspice

Calent kept his gaze stern.
"So that means the guilty mage is dead?"

Ivory

"If it had been possible, I would have liked to learn more from her about who is truly responsible, but..."  Audric's gaze met Calent's, unflinching and hard.  "...I couldn't risk the entire city."

visualspice

"You didn't answer my question, Audric," Calent's voice was growing dangerous.
"Is or is not the guilty mage dead?"