Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Haunt and Shade [nizzy]

Started by nephero, May 24, 2014, 10:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nephero

OOC: Welcome, @nizzy !

---

On the edges of the Kilanthro mountains, there was a village. To be even more precise, there was a village. It was a dead thing now-- empty and hollow, with only the rattling of unlocked windows in the valley winds to make a sound. Plates still lay on tables, still full of now-rotting food, and valuables still lay locked up in their cupboards.

A hanged person's spinal column still rattled in the breeze, the rest of the body not more than scraps of cloth and scattered bone, picked clean long ago by scavengers. The bones were the only villager left, the rest of what had once had to have been a decent population gone. Vanished, like smoke.

Or a ghost.

Beyond the ruined village, deeper into the mountains, there was a fortress-home. Or, at least, the skeletal remains of one. Blackened stone told of a fire long ago, though it did little to destroy the heart of the place-- and even less to destroy the labyrinth of stairs that led down, deep into the earth.

What had no doubt once been a meticulously tended courtyard was overrun with wildflowers and brambles, the grasses allowed to grow tall in the absence of the usual vicious winds that rattled the village below. A well stood in the midst of all this, unburnt and unchanged save for the creeping vines that threatened to choke one side.

Kyrrha gripped the lever, and began turning the crank to lift the bucket upwards, full of clean, delicious water. She licked her lips, and wondered why she always waited so long to do this-- soon, the bite of the rusted iron reminded her well enough. She hated the feel of it, of iron, and while it produced no physical malady, it seemed to shake her to her core to be in contact with it.

It was much the same with salt. She hated the stuff, hated the sour bite to her tongue whenever she tasted it. When had she last tasted it?

She sniffled, loudly, eyes welling up at the memory of the last home-cooked meal she had, at the memory of pushing around her potatoes with disdain because her mother had oversalted them. At the memory of being able to see her face for the first time that night, so clear and vivid it terrified her to even speak of it.

Kyrrha turned the crank all the faster, her entire face scrunched up as she tried not to think of her mother, of her mother's bones down in the village, of all the bedtime stories and the comforting hugs she would never experience again.

She was starting to even forget what her mother sounded like.

Finally, the bucket crested the top of the well, and she pulled it to the side, first taking a long drink and then washing her hands of the residual feel of iron on them. A quick splash to her face rid her of the tears that had threatened to fall, and the cold felt good against her skin. She closed her eyes for a moment, just a moment to get under control, and when she opened them again, a half-burnt woman was standing in front of her.

The woman stood tall, where there was still a body to support her, the other side blackened and skeletal from whatever horror had visited her in the end of her life. Kyrrha had tried to ask once, but the woman refused to tell such horror stories to children. Kyrrha smiled up at her, and moved her hand in askance.

The ghost, in kind, rapidly moved her hands, and Kyrrha nearly jumped out of her skin. Someone was coming, and she didn't even bother dropping the bucket back down the well. She ran past the woman, through her, over to the last standing bit of roof and the entrance to the cellar of her home. She ducked down, made herself as tiny as possible, and listened for the approach of footsteps.

VIGILANCE WALKING THE TOAST
Characters here!

__guilds, yo__
The Territok Orcs // The Oratok Orcs // Fausteth // The Ashmen

nizzy

The wind was picking up, and Olwen could tell a storm was coming. She would be okay for about an hour, but by then she needed to have found something to shelter in. Unfortunately for her, the mountainous land she was travelling through had a serious lack of buildings or trees that would offer any protection.

After ten minutes of carefully scanning the horizon as she walked, she noticed a house. It was still a while off, but she would just about me able to reach it before the worst of the storm hit. Not that she would be going in, people were dangerous, but she could use it to protect herself from at least one side.

As she got closer, Olwen realised that it was not a house, but a ruin of one. Knowing that she could spend a night surrounded by walls without fear, she quickened her pace.

She reached the house quicker than expected, but paused outside the door. The burnt wood of the door brought to mind the burnt wood of two years ago. Tears stung at her eyes. They say time heals, but two years had done nothing to heal where the 12 pieces of her heart had been ripped out.

As a particularly strong gust of wind almost blew her from where she stood, Olwen slipped inside. Now that she was safe, and the fear which usually filled her mind had lessened, there was nothing to stop the feelings from rising up. Image after image flashed through her mind as quickly as tears fell from her eyes. Images that  started with the burnt wood, before working through everything she had seen that day, and everything that had happened before that. She saw everything that had been taken from her.

She began to sob.

nephero

As the sounds of encroaching steps got closer-- the snaps of fallen twigs and rustling grasses each like a punch of dread to her gut-- Kyrrha felt her heart race faster. It was times like this that she wished she really was a ghost, and then maybe her breathing wouldn't sound so loud, and maybe she wouldn't be so scared.

Part of her realized she should have gone further down the stairs to the cellar, and that same part was urging her to try and slip deeper, maybe hide in that horrible place as long as she could. But she was paralyzed, terrified that the second she moved she would be found out, and so she gripped the stairs she lay against all the tighter.

But then, a new sound arrived, one that she hadn't heard from intruders before. They were crying, whoever they were, great soft sobs that she had heard from herself more than once. She knew the feeling of those tears, their salty bitterness, the despair that coiled in her ribcage with each shaking breath.

Slowly, she lessened her grip on the stairs. Slowly, she crawled her way up, feeling her way over the rough stonework and up to where a trap door once had hidden the cellar stairs from view. All that remained of the door were its hinges, the fire having burnt the wood to dust years ago, and so she made not a sound as she slipped up to the main floor of the ruins of her home.

Against the darkness of the world, she squinted, trying to make out where the source of the crying was, and finally, she caught it. Just the slightest wisp of an outline, barely visible against the inky blackness that took up her sight, and cautiously, she took a step towards it.

Huddled over as it was, she couldn't quite tell what they were, but Kyrrha thought it might have been a girl, for how soft her crying sounded. She clutched at the hem of her shirt like a security blanket, swallowed hard, and stepped forward again. Every instinct in her was screaming to run, to hide, to get away as fast as she could, but those tears drew her in, compounding her own loneliness until there was really no going back.

"H-hello...?"

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

nizzy

Olwen jumped at the voice. She got to her feet quickly. She swiped the tears from her eyes, now wide with fear.

"I... I'm sorry... I didn't realise... I thought it was empty...."

Someone had seen her crying, they would see her as an easy target, they would attack. She cursed herself for not checking that the place was actually abandoned.

She finally took a look at the owner of the voice. It was just a child. That eased her mind a little, at least she wasn't likely to be facing imminent death. Although, if there was a child here, there would be parents, and other people. Just because a child had come up to her, it didn't mean that she hadn't been seen by others.

"I... I'll go..."

The storm still raged outside. She would have to huddle by the walls and hope that the storm would be kind to her. The thought of the storm scared her, but not as much as the thought of people did.

nephero

"No, no wait!" Kyrrha startled, tripping over an errant stone that she had known was there for the past two years, so desperate to keep the other from going. Now she knew it was a girl, and she sounded so nice, just as scared as Kyrrha herself was, just as terrified of being caught off their guard.

"I... please stay? I promise, I'm not... I'm not dangerous, I'm not a witch, please--" She felt panic bubble up in her chest, trying her hardest to see through the gloom and keep track of that outline. Had she already gone? It had been so long since she had had someone to talk to, someone who wasn't dangerous and the ghosts didn't warn her away from.

Kyrrha looked around, and found the hunched figure of an old man settled just a few feet away. He gave her a kind, if toothless smile, and pointed to where she should be looking. She sighed in relief to find that outline again, and she stepped forward once more, now wringing the hem of her shirt until it was solidly wrinkled.

"I just... I heard crying. Please, I won't hurt you."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

nizzy

Olwen hesitated. The child seemed harmless, and it would be nice to spend a night indoors...

But there would be others, and who knows how they would react.

Yet, there was something about the young girl. She seemed lonely, somehow. But why would she be lonely?

"What about the others? There must be other people here. They won't want me to stay."

nephero

Kyrrha's face fell, reminded too easily of just what she had lost, and it took every bit of her strength to keep from bursting into tears. All she could focus on was this person in front of her, and how badly she wanted them to stay.

"No... no, I'm the only one who lives here. There aren't any others."

She finished her words with a miserable tone, before forcing herself back up with a smile, watery as it was.

"My name's Kyrrha."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

nizzy

In Kyrrha's face, Olwen could see that the child had lost as much as she had. Although she could be lying about the others, the feelings she saw seemed real. She decided to trust her, her lessened fear of Kyrrha was trumped by her greater fear of the storm.

"I'm Olwen." She offered timidly.

nephero

Kyrrha had to smile. She let out a shy sort of chuckle, and her hands finally ceased in their attempted destruction of her own shirt. She stepped forward, this time avoiding the crumbled bits of wall as she did, though she kept her hands outstretched to catch herself if need be.

"Um... do you need anything? I was getting water before you came, but..." She tilted her head, listening to the increased howling of the winds, and her brows knit in concern. "We should get inside. Sometimes the walls come apart in these bad ones."

She turned, then, and made her way back to the cellar stairs. She kept her hands pressed to the stairwell's walls as she eased herself down, taking the steps bit by bit.

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

nizzy

Olwen followed Kyrrha down the stairs, the solid walls cutting out the last of wind.

The cellar was dark, with a single lantern penetrating the darkness. Olwen tried not to think of the possibilities of what could be hidden in the long shadows, she was safe for the moment, that was all that mattered.

When after a few moments, nothing jumped out, she let herself look at the girl more carefully. The most noticeable thing about her was her eyes, which were pale and never seemed to settle on Olwen completely, as if she were not entirely there. They also often looked off to one side, as if there was someone there, but all there was was empty space.

Kyrrha's clothes were also slightly grubby and worn in places, suggesting that it had been a long time since the young girl had had anyone to look after her. Olwen wondered about her past, but didn't ask. She'd rather not speak of her own past, so why ask for others'?

There was silence between them for a few minutes, while other people may have found this uncomfortable, Olwen liked it. When people spoke, questions were asked and things went wrong, Olwen couldn't make up things on the spot, so had to stick to the truth, the truth, however, was not always liked.

nephero

Kyrrha, for her part, attempted to look contrite about the surroundings, figuring it was at least polite to try. She rapidly moved around a few stray crates, enough to serve as a makeshift table and chairs for herself and her guest.

She actually had a guest who required seating.

The thought very nearly made her giddy, but not enough to lose her head completely. She had routines to look after, and she took out what seemed to be a large tin canister, and proceeded to re-line the room with what appeared to be salt. After that, she felt around a few shelves for her flint, using that to light another few lanterns and a few bundles of herbs. The lanterns were more for her guest's benefit-- Kyrrha couldn't see either way-- but the herbs were much like the salt.

At least they smelled really nice when they smoked.

That all done, she returned to where she had set up her little table, and had to search a bit before she settled on Olwen's outline again, and smiled.

"Sorry about, well. The mess. I don't get many people out here." Or rather, people that she would invite into her home.

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

nizzy

Olwen watched Kyrrha move around the room. The girl's actions seemed strange, Olwen hadn't been around many people in the last year, but she was pretty certain that lining a room in salt was not the usual reaction to having a guest round, but she didn't question it, she didn't want to give Kyrrha any excuse to send her back into the storm. She wasn't exactly normal either, they could be strange together.

Olwen sat on one of the crates that had been arranged, "I don't mind, it's been months since I've been inside at all," she confessed. She usually kept details like that to herself, but there was something about Kyrrha that caused her to trust her.

nephero

"Months...? In this season? That's awful." Kyrrha asked, her tiny nose wrinkling a bit at the very idea. She didn't have much, but at least she had something of a roof over her head, and she was thankful for that every time she began to despair. She was alive, and she still had her home.

"Uhm, I don't... I don't know if you're hungry, but I managed some carrots in the garden this year. Do you want some?" She was already moving, her hands outstretched until they found the large wardrobe to one side of the cellar. She opened the doors, and felt around the shelves until she found her quarry, a large pot filled with scrubbed carrots and other raw vegetables.

This pot she returned to the crate that acted as their table, and set it down, before sitting down herself and reaching for a large radish.

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

nizzy

"Thanks," Olwen said, helping herself to a carrot, "I've got some of the berries I gathered earlier still, if you want any. There's not much fruit to be found at this sort of time, but if you know where to look... It's not that bad living outside, it may be rough in this season, but I'm used to it, I get by."

nephero

"Berries!" Kyrrha perked up almost immediately, her eyes just that little bit wider in excitement. "I haven't had berries in so long! We used to have a wild patch somewhere nearby, but Papa always brought me to them, and I haven't been able to find my way back since..."

At the mention of her father, something clouded over her face, some expression between fear and sadness. Still, it didn't last long, and she smiled in Olwen's general direction.

"I think I have some tea leaves left. I'd been saving the last for something special, but... let's call this special, okay?" She stood up, and felt around for a very well-worn and partially blackened kettle, which she set on what was the single most rudimentary attempt at a hearth in existence. The lighting of the fire was a slow venture indeed, with Kyrrha almost shy of the flint in her hands and the splinters of what once had been another crate.

And really, you couldn't blame her. She had to do it by feel, and she had burned her fingers so many times before that it made her more than a little gun-shy.

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

nizzy

OOC: Sorry I've taken so long to reply, I had exams and things, and then I just forgot...

As the flames took hold, Olwen moved closer. They warmed her skin in a way that she hadn't been warmed in months, so long that fire had become a distant memory. It was a nice feeling, as a faun she could cope with the cold winds, but the fire felt so much nicer.

Olwen dug the worn pouch of berries from her bag, she placed a couple into her mouth before offering them to Kyrrha. A few smaller berries fell through the growing hole in the bag as she passed it across, the mending of it was getting more and more urgent, but Olwen had used up the last of her thread, and to get more would need a dreaded trip into a village with the dwindling money she had left. "Tea sounds nice, I don't remember having had it before,"

She hesitated before she continued, her head said that she could not trust anyone, even this child, and that she should be getting away from her as soon as was possible, no matter how alone she appeared, but her heart saw the truth of the loss in her eyes, and pitted the girl who seemed to be in almost the same position as she was. The warmth of the fire had melted away a little of her wariness, letting her heart win over her head, "I could help you find them again, once the storm's over, if you want."