Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Crocodile Feels [M]

Started by Lion, June 11, 2014, 03:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Today was going to be a big day, and if he played his hand just right, he'd be alive to enjoy it too.  It wasn't every day that a great Crocodile Hunt was to be thrown in honor of the Shah.  And Her Eminence would actually be present too!  Any event could be celebrated in her honor, but to actually have the Essence of Hakeshna here in the celebration of it was quite astonishing to behold.  Even for one as cynical as he, Anran knew having the Shah's presence here was a great big deal.  And that would make everyone be either on their best behavior, or their worst.

And certainly doing their best to kill the largest crocs they could find.

Croc killing.  Now there was a matter that struck Anran as odd, not that he was necessarily opposed to killing them – occasionally their meat could be made into a delectable dinner and their hide into a suitable leather pouch or sword sheath.  They were great river predators, obviously, but predators that otherwise bothered no one unless bothered first.  Anran had no illusions as to the danger they would actually pose, whether being hunted alone or in groups; but he did know that there were many here hoping to prove their worth, who really had no idea what they were getting into.  There was going to be blood, and lots of it.  And maybe some stray arms in the process.

This was for the Shah, he reminded himself.  And for gold, a great deal of it in fact to the chosen victor among all the participants (as far as he knew).  And the honor of being in the Shah's presence was enough prize for many enough as it were.  But Anran cared nothing for the honor and glory of the killing.  Perhaps it was still the gladiator in him, killing enough just to survive, just enough to prove his worth, that he would not be one to stand idle.  That was enough for him, even now as he sat in his tent, dressed in fine linens, thin enough to let the air coming wafting up from the Niafi River to seep through.  It certainly beat the smothering desert heat.

"Ah, Harmanaija, there you are," he said, coming out of his tent when he saw a pair of feet pass by the open flap.  "I was looking for you.  Normally, I would do it myself, but seeing as it is your first week on the job, I thought I would give you the honor.  I have my hunting spears in the Armsman's tent just across from mine and I was wondering if you could sharpen them for me.  You do know how to sharpen don't you?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Harmanaija wanted to avoid this event like the plague, and most times fate would oblige- but luck was not on her side, and money was growing tight- and a certain new friend had made her an offer she couldn't refuse (though part of her wondered if he would have even let her refuse.) But here she was, at the annual Crocodile Hunt, a barbaric affair if she had ever seen one- not better than the escapades a the Colosseum; so it was no wonder her new employer/'friend' was so elated- she had nearly forgotten the man had been a gladiator himself.

He was a curious man, definitely one of the stories of going from rags to riches, or rather, slave to riches. Even still, she tried to tell herself this was a job and to act as courteous and respectful and as hard working as she would for any one of her employers. Not that she felt she'd cheat him, but it seemed as if Anran was being, well too nice, and as she timidly stepped throught he curtain of his tent, she brushed her hair back, accidentally revealing the entity of her face-
and the A shaped scar.

"Sorry I'm late. It was... difficult finding this tent in particular." And she had a lot of nasty run ins along the way, leaving her cheeks a bit pink- and she, a bit more sweaty than she'd have liked. She dusted off her dress and looked around, then clasped her hands before her, patiently waiting before him when he told her his orders and she blinked.

"Sharpen.... spears?"
This was not exactly what she had in mind when the man said 'I'll pay you to help me out at the Crocodile Hunt'- but then again,s he should be happy he wasn't asking her to hunt crocodiles at his side. Frowning a bit, she observed the set of spears and then peered back at him, hair falling back naturally into her face.

"I can't say I've ever done it, but it cna't be that hard... right?" And she tried to give him a reassuring smile, even if she felt a ball of nerves.
Right.. sharpening spears- what did she expect a man like him needed help with anyway? Oh boy, she just hoped she was able to perform well of this task!
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

She did look a bit, er, flushed, Anran noted, but tried not to think anything of it.  "Well, there is a method to the madness and I would be happy to show you.  Come along," he said with a nod and a smile before taking her to the armsmans' tent and opened a large ornately rolled bundle of spears of all types, from javelins to harpoons and everything in between.  Some had flecks of rush on them, some darkened with a reddish hue, though had been cleaned ardently since and some were dulled. 

"Here," he said, picking one with a long cross bar on the head.  "All you do is take the whetsone, this small rock here and run it along the edge.  Simple.  I suppose it wouldn't make sense to sharpen all of them, but the steel ones should have a keen edge to them at least.  Those are best for the task we're undertake.  Here I'll show you."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Harmanaija reguarded the weapons with just an ounce of fear. Her eyes were a bit wide for it- for she never had to handle or get close to weapons of any kind before. She supposed it was silly to be afraid of them, but she was. And when he went on about the steel ones, she found herself needing to ask, "Er.. which ones are of steel?" She had no idea how to identify different types of metals. This was all new to her, after all. And she felt very over whelmed already, and she hadn't even begun this job!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

"Ah good question.  That would be these silvery looking ones right here.  In fact I'll just get these out for you.  Just about six of them.  I think that's suitable," he nodded to her, setting out the six spears on a rack and rolling up the rest.  "Here let me show you how to handle the tip properly.  All you have to do is simply this."  He demonstrated the sharpening by opening the box the whetstones and chose a rounded one and slowly and carefully ran it on the edge of the spear tip.  "Like so."  He was slow and meticulous, running it at an angle before handing the spear off to her. 

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Harmanaija's eyes became a bit cross as she looked at the sharp end of the spear, and watched him with a held breath as he worked the whetstone over it. She released a breath with a nod.
"Seems easy enough." But when he handed one off to her, she stared at it and then tried to awkwardly position it on her lap, accidentally hitting Anran with the stick as she did so.

"Oh! I'm so sorry about that!" she said, and didn't think twice to stand up suddenly, the spear clattering loudly onto the floor at her feet- and landing on her feet as she let out a sharp cry of pain. That hurt!

Lion

Anran doubled over when the back end of the spear smacked him in the nuts.  It hurt, but not nearly as much as it hitting her foot must have.  "Maybe I can have the armsman do it.  It is no problem." he squeaked.  He quickly recovered however and pulled the thing from her foot.  "Are you all right?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

She would have been horrified, had the pain not shot through her so intensely. She was still wincing, even after her foot was saved from the thing and blinked back some sharp tears.
"I... I think I'll live."
She hoped. By Hakeshna, she just hurt it wasn't broken- and she, in the moment, was a bit too stunned to dare to move.
"But I really am quite sorry. I.. I don't think I've ever been so clumsy in all of my life. The weight on those spears, I... I guess I"m just not used to it." And awkardly, she tucked back some of her hair from her face, keeping her eyes down and shameful.

Lion

"Ah well there are worse things in the world than broken feet," he murmured as he knelt beside her foot and examined it carefully in his hands.  "I guess I took for granted that you could lift them as easily as me."  He pressed his palm into the base of her foot.  "Better?" he asked.  "Well at least it's not too banged up.  I've seen much worse."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Harmanaija winced at his touch, and her face quickly turned red. She felt so incredibly foolish for this and quickly apologized again.
"I truly am sorry. I'll be more careful with the next task."
And as he examined her foot, she wriggled it a little.
"It's still stinging, but I think I'll live." And she tried to smile it away as she brushed back a tear. Ugh, how even more embarrassing. Hurting herself actually brought tears!

Lion

Once he confirmed she was fine, Anran stood and tried not to focus on her tears.  "Well, I suppose we can think of something else for you to do.  I apologize for that.  It was my fault, I should have been more aware."  He pulled her to her feet and carefull set her on it.  "I'm sure you can stitch...er, right?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"Stitch?" She blinked, and found herself smiling. She could definitely do that! "Oh, why, yes, I used to help make some lovely quilt blankets.." But that had also been in another life. She hadn't done much since she was disowned by both her families.
"What is it you need me to stitch?"

And at the mention of stitch, something came to itch at her leg. She moved down to give it a scratch when she saw what it was- a small black scorpion and her heart was in her throat, blocking her ability to breath when she suddenly clung her arms onto Anran, and did the only thing she could think to do-

and that was smash the thing beneath her boot- a food good stomps had the thing smashed to pieces, and when she saw it was good and dead, she released her tense grip upon Anran with a blush.

"Err... sorry about that. I'm... not exactly a fan of scorpions."
Or bugs or spiders...
But scorpions were the worst. Scorpions were more likely to kill.

Lion

Anran nearly jumped out of his skin when Harmanaija suddenly stomped on the scorpion.  He yelped, thinking she was about to step on his foot.  The action had scared him more than the arachnid that was not a gooey squashed mess on the tent floor.  It wasn't a very large on, but a scorpion was a scorpion all the same and he only realized afterward that  she leaned in so closely to him.

"Ahem." He cleared his throat and smiled sheepishly.  "Well you saved both our lives them.  They don't discriminate who they sting."  He straightened, regained his composure and gestured for her to follow.  "I have a few shirts that need mending, some I'd like to wear to the first meeting of hunters."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Now that it was 'safe', she took a step away from him and tucked back some hair. And at the suggestion of mending his clothing, she simply nodded her head. "Just show me what I need to do. And I'll help where I can." Just hopefully there wouldn't be any more scorpions.

Lion

Anran led her back to his tent, opening the flap for her and following behind.  "These tunics here and linen shirts.  I suppose I could just buy new ones but I've never been the wasteful type.  It's still perfectly good, just meager holes.  I know I'm setting them in the right hands," he nodded to her.

His smile was easy and genuine, as he lay a pile of cotton and silk shirts in her arms.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"I'll get to these quickly. Will you be using any one of these shirts first today or...?" And she peered up at him curiously, a few sprigs of curls of hair covering her marked eye.

Lion

Anran's hand came up and brushed away those stray curls, though it had been an unconscious action.  He cleared his throat and blushed before pointing to the dark maroon embroidered shirt at the top of the pile.  "It's my favorite," he nodded his head and bowed his head.  "Sorry.  I'll leave you to it.  The stitching supplies are in the chest over there.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

When Anran moved forward to move her hair, she froze, eyes going wide. She wasn't sure how to react that, and when Anran move away, he wasn't the only one that blushed as her eyes instantly dropped to her feet. She could only nod her head yes when he went to move, and when he left, she released a breath, puffing hair from her face before dropping down to start her work.

She found the supplies easy enough, and focused on patching up the embroidered shirt he said ws his favorite, but as she did so, a piece of the embroidery snagged and began to unravel, so she worked at trying to fix that before going to fix the final bits of patches she had to do on it-
and when she was pretty sure she was on the last hole, she held up the piece triumphantly (for it had taken much longer than she anticipated) and then realized, with a drop of her lips, she had sewn the shirt sleeve to her skirts!

Lion

He'd been staring at that for some time after coming in from talking to the armsman and he was speaking with a few emmisaries here and there and entertaining their pompous behinds.  They had put on their airs, stuck their noses their air and peered down at him as if he were some lowly commoner.  As ever he gave them every courtesy and finally found time to reclaim his shirt.  Only to find it sealed to her skirt. 

"Well, I don't know if I could pull off the skirt, but it's an interesting sentiment," he said, smirking.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Her face went crimson.
"Oh! I.. I hadn't mean to! I must not have been paying much attention, here... Let me fix it." And when she went to reach for the shirt, she heard a loud riiiip and felt a slit tear up the side of her skirt.

Tags: