Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fausteth - the Barony of the Undead [OPEN]

Started by nephero, June 28, 2014, 02:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nephero

The Barony of Fausteth

OVERVIEW
Nestled between the craggy mountains of the Kilanthro range and choked by overgrown, darkened woods, Fausteth looks to be a barren ruin. The soil is grey and lifeless, as are the trees and brambles that overrun the rocky landscape. It is unnaturally quiet-- in the silence, the frozen winds from the north almost sound like wailing spirits.

Geography and Climate:
Fausteth is a tiny, tiny landlocked land just south of the Fell. The residual taint from the Fell is obvious in its influence, staining the entire land all the way down to its southern borders. Fausteth's climate is one of near-perpetual winter with mildly chilly summer months being its only reprieve.

Things in Fausteth are incredibly tainted. Residual magic effects run rampant, and any number of bizarre occurrences are possible here.

LANDMARKS

• The Bastion
    Far to the northern border, there stands a great beast of a fortress called the Bastion. Surrounding it are great, thick walls of stone, topped with tall spires and menacing gargoyles. Inside the fortress walls is a patchwork city of old and new buildings crammed on top of one another, all surrounding the large manor that once housed the noble family of Fausteth, and now serves as the central location of Fausteth's fighting forces.

• Middon
    In the south, just above the marshes that line the southwestern edge of the barony, is a large town called Middon. This serves as a main travel hub, as well as the home base for Fausteth's hunting parties. In order to get to the Bastion (safely), one will have to go through Middon.

• Riverton
    A small town in the western portion of Fausteth, Riverton is kept safe largely because of its positioning between two fast-moving rivers. It serves as the western bulwark for the barony.

• Eastshire
    Bordering the dangerous fields known as the Deadlands, Eastshire is responsible for keeping  the worst of Fausteth's horrors in check. Only the most capable of warriors are stationed there, for if Eastshire fails, the entirety of Fausteth would soon be overrun.

• The Deadlands
    Set in the northeast portion of the Barony, and closest to the river that brought the plague that doomed them all, the Deadlands is a hellish wasteland of dead crops and dead earth. It is here that the negative energies from the Fell are strongest, and it is here that the undead horrors find their power. It's all too easy to get lost in the high grasses, and even easier to fall prey to a waiting ambush.

VIGILANCE WALKING THE TOAST
Characters here!

__guilds, yo__
The Territok Orcs // The Oratok Orcs // Fausteth // The Ashmen

nephero

HISTORY

Long ago, within a now-forgotten kingdom, there existed a small barony named Fausteth. Nestled between the Kilanthro mountains and dense woods, it remained fairly isolated from the rest of the kingdom, though it prospered well enough under the rule of the Baron and his family.

Then, the cataclysm that would destroy the entire country and create the magical scar of the Fell happened. Fausteth's isolation saved it from the brunt of the magical backlash, though they were not entirely immune to its effects. While the Faustethens were focused on the vibrant lights of the chaos beyond their forests, they remained unaware of a change in the riverwater that flowed into their land from the north.

Residue of that chaotic magic had tainted their water supply, seeped into their soil, and into the few farms that dotted the central fields of the barony. With this taint came a terrible and deadly plague, one that none of the Faustethens had ever seen before, and one that conventional healing could not cure.

The plague wiped out ninety percent of the populace within the span of a few months. However, the plague brought with it something else-- a strong channel of negative energy, strong enough to assure that the dead of Fausteth would not remain dead for long.

Mere days after succumbing to the plague, the dead of Fausteth began to rise, much to the horror of their still-living relatives. Twisted, vile husks of human beings, and warped beyond all recognition, the dead attacked anything with a pulse that strayed too close to them, often killing their own families in the process. This led to widespread panic, and much of the populace fled to the Bastion, the Baron's citadel to the north.

However, they would find no safety there-- it was in the height of the plague that the Baroness fell ill, her husband and only son soon after. It was a final blow to the city's morale, and the entirety of Fausteth stood on the brink of destruction.

Until the Baroness rose again. Unlike many of the hordes of undead, something in her remained partially human-- enough to remember who she was and stave off the insatiable hunger for life. She rallied those like her, a small percentage of the afflicted population who rose with their consciousnesses intact, and drove back the mindless hordes that stood to destroy the entire barony.

Fausteth now exists in a state of constant conflict, with regular raiding parties riding out on skeletal steeds to drive back the waves of their former kin, and keep them pinned to the desolate wastes of the Deadlands. A thick, iron-spiked wall was soon erected around the entirety of the barony, in the hopes that should Fausteth fall completely, the undead would not be able to spill out into the rest of the world. So far, this wall has held, but the centuries continue to eat away both at the Baroness' forces, and the wall.

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

nephero

CULTURE AND SOCIETY

Concerning Magic
Like the Connlaothians, Faustethens have a sincere distrust of magic. Seeing as many were present for the aftereffects of Fell's Curse, they tend to be highly wary of any such use. However, because they need as much firepower as they can get to keep the mindless undead at bay, magic is not outlawed in Fausteth. So long as mages are actively working for the protection of Fausteth, they are welcome within its borders.

Concerning Gender
Like many things, traditional gender roles in what was once a very patriarchal society have gone completely by the wayside. No longer able to afford something such as strict gender roles, Faustethens have instead adopted a merit-based society, where it only matters how much work you put out into the world. However, some things have remained over the years, such as difference in dress, and one might still find some of the older citizens sporting ornate dresses or jewelry.

Concerning Sexuality
For many, many of the citizens of Fausteth, sex is no longer a 'thing'. However, romantic relationships continue to progress, and while not usually consummated, marriages still happen. Like gender roles, Faustethens have done away with more traditional ideas of what is "proper" in a relationship, and are open to non-heteronormative facets. Sexual orientation, like many things, have been placed under a "no one's business but your own" label.

Concerning Food
At one time, the main staple of Fausteth was the grains it grew in the center of the barony, with some amount of meat from farm animals or the occasional hunt into the woods. However, since the plague hit, many Faustethens are on a meat-only diet. While needing to feed is far rarer than when they were living, they do need to consume flesh in order to keep themselves tethered to the living world. This is sustained by sending out hunting parties into the woods and surrounding mountains, beyond the wall, and bringing the carcasses back to be distributed. Given this often involves crossing into the Deadlands or other infested areas, being a hunter in Fausteth is a highly dangerous job, and many often run in pairs to keep safe.

Concerning Various States of Affliction
Because of the chaotic nature of the magic that created the Fell, the plague that destroyed Fausteth is just as multi-faceted. Each individual is different, depending on how much negative energy they were steeped in, as well as their own individual makeups. It's not uncommon for one member of a family to be raised as a simple shambling corpse, while yet another member of that same family to be raised as something incorporeal like a banshee. (TL;DR: It's up to the player. Have fun with your undeadness.)

Concerning Industry
Everything in Fausteth is geared towards their constant war with the mindless undead. As such, they have learned to be masters of war-machinery, of smithing more and more potent weapons, and crafting better armor. Without a need to farm or even eat all that often, most of the citizens have instead fallen to more supportive roles for the soldiers that fight. Many have taken on the study of necromantic magics in order to help bolster their defences, or in many cases, piece people back together. Those uncomfortable with such pursuits instead work to keep their soldiers supplies, whether by scavenging abandoned towns or slowly cultivating old food crops into fabric-related ones.

Concerning Undeath
The plague is multifaceted, and has many different effects on the people of Fausteth. That being said, there's a few commonalities, primarily in terms of weaknesses. Faustethens as a whole are weak to iron and salt, though they regularly handle these in order to better attack their undead foes. As such, a Faustethen handling iron or salt must wear thick leather gloves in order to avoid being burnt by them.

Hot weather is another weakness, but mostly in terms of the corporeal undead. Let's face it, sunlight and heat are not a dead body's best friend.

Many Faustethens would love to look for a cure to their undeath, seeing it as a curse or illness, which it is. That being said, very few are willing to trust the living enough to go looking for a cure, as they fear bringing too much attention to themselves will result in a more 'final' cure than the one they're looking for.

LAWS

Fausteth is a land born of necessity. What they need are standing soldiers, and as such, there are very little in the ways of laws. So long as one's actions are not inflicting harm on others, or the barony as a whole, it is largely kept to a "mind your own business" basis. That being said, there are a few things that no one is allowed, except by special circumstance.

-No one may leave the barony except by the Baroness' leave. This is to prevent any possible residual contagion from spreading, though no one is quite sure if contact with the undead is, in fact, contagious. This is filed under "better safe than sorry."

-Anyone seeking asylum in Fausteth (for example, outside undead or other "monstrosities") is granted citizenship, with the express condition that they work just the same to keep the Faustethen warmachine going. You will either pull your weight or you will help 'grease the engines'. (Author's note: Not undead and not working? They will eat you.)

-Whenever possible, no citizen is to make contact with living, unafflicted persons outside the barony. This includes letters or other written contact, and was in place to keep other neighbouring countries from marching on them and obliterating them all, or worse, doing so and accidentally spreading their plague. However, with their forces dwindling, there have been more and more instances of the Baroness attempting to make contact with outsider non-humans to help bolster their forces.

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

nephero

WHO MAY JOIN
Literally anyone, provided they will work to keep the undead hordes at bay. Particularly (more warmly) welcomed are those who might be considered 'monsters'-- so, undead, werewolves, vampires, nasty critters of that sort of nature may consider Fausteth a safe haven from otherwise... less... tolerant societies.

So bring to me your cursed, your rotten, your stitched monstrosities. Your huddled horrors yearning for a home. And I'll give them a sword and we'll show those mindless what for.

Just post here with the profile and they'll be added to the ranks!

RANKS

Government
Leader:
The Baroness Liselotte von Fausteth (profile to follow)
Advisors: Three positions open
Ambassadors: Two positions open

Hunting Party (in charge of meat acquisition)
Captain of the Black Forest: One position open
Leads: Nine positions open (each runs a squad of hunters)
Hunters: Open indefinitely

Military
Captain of the Guard: Mara
Captain of Riverton: One position open
Captain of Middon: One position open
Captain of Eastshire: One position open
Soldiers: open indefinitely

Border Patrol
Ranger-captain:
Eisen Noreel (nephero)
Rangers: open indefinitely
Morgan Song (nephero)

The Bastion
Blacksmiths: open indefinitely
Alchemists: open indefinitely
Necromancers: open indefinitely
Salvage: open indefinitely

Townsfolk:
Hesper, tailor (nephero)
Zodei, gargoyle (Rhi-Rhi)

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

Brisinger987

OMG. This is amazing. I actually love this idea, and may make a character specifically for this! :D

In the meantime, I contribute "K'hoth the Devourer".

He will pull his weight when he's in town, and he's a friendly, kindly monster, so he'll hunt, scavenge, just don't ask him to think too much about it all, and remember, he's blind, nose-less, and has two beasts for arms. He may scare even zombies.

nephero

Haha, that's what I like to hear!

And awesome, I'll add him to the roster soon as I'm off mobile. Haha, but yes, he'll probably unnerve even the Faustethens, but hey, beggars can't be choosers, aye?

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

Brisinger987

Yeah, he's pretty frightening. And Ancient too.

nephero

Okay, character roster moderately updated kinda sorta but there we are. My precious little band of monstrosities, it is growing. 8D

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

Terrick

Would love to offer up a character I wrote for this particular guild: Sajon. A former merchant, now poltergeist thanks to the plague. His only discovered abilities so far are his incorporeal nature and possession. He has no intention to leave Fausteth any time soon, so he would be quite invested in it's protection.

nephero

Perfect! I will add him to the roster. I love incorporeal undead in particular, they are loads of fun. 8D

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

Terrick

It's a premise I've always been curious about, but never gotten the chance to play. As for the abilities, they're somewhat inspired by a video game I played ages ago called Geist, back in my Gamecube days.

Aeytrious

I can't find my papers detailing Capstan, so I will be rebuilding him from scratch. Here is one of the horrible things he will be doing to cause trouble in Fausteth.

Wraithweed: Wraithweed is a nonmagical plant. Recently, a select few have discovered that when this plant is alchemically treated, powdered, and then dissolved in liquid, it becomes a strange mixture that grants ghosts euphoria and relaxation. Wraithweed is addictive to ghosts. Once addicted, a ghost may suffer loss of strength and constitution each day addicted to the substance. Suffering the loss of strength and constitution, also means the addicted ghost flies into a fit of rage at a random time during the day, attacking anything in sight, for a few seconds to a couple minutes, and then becoming fatigued for 1 hour. Going more than two days without loss of strength and constitution means the addiction has been kicked, is no longer at risk of fits of rage, unless the drug is taken again. The most terrible aspect of wraithweed is the longterm effects of addiction. Over time, the drug breaks down the ectoplasm of an addicted ghost, turning it into an incorporeal undead creature. Eventually the loss of strength to wraithweed causes a ghost to become an undead shadow. One that losses all of its constitution because of wraithweed becomes a wraith. Lesser and medium restorative spells can combat the loss of strength and constitution from drug abuse, but not the addiction. A remove disease spell instantly cures a ghost's wraithweed addiction (because addiction is an illness :P), but not the loss of strength and constitution. Greater restorative and healing spells, cure the addiction and restore the loss of strength and constitution it caused. Wraithweed will likely be declared illegal in Fausteth, but that won't stop Capstan from sneaking it into the Barony. Anything to cause chaos that might release the Curse of Fausteth into the rest of the world.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

CounterfeitFish

Heyo! Wouldst thou perhaps be interested in a certain ghostly cavalier that I have made for this guild? I know I've talked about em in the discord server and stuff, but I saw people posting in here and figured I should probably do the same. :D They may not be able to kill undead very effectively(for now, at least), but they can definitely teach others!

Rylok

It's ya boi Simon!

I'm totally in on this. Having a purpose, not having people cringe from him, and having a 'home' between adventures is 100% what Si has been looking for!