Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fighting fire with fire

Started by paganchick, August 02, 2014, 02:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paganchick

Zantaric, not Sapphira's normal hang but she didn't dislike the place. It was secluded in dense forest and high mountains which made her actually like the place. It almost felt homie, well if not for the cut throats and bandits that called it home as well.

Sapphira was on a hunt herself, and it had lead her to the place. She was hunting someone she knew hardly nothing about, which was proving to be something very difficult. All she knew were a few rumors and she had to learn more about the man. She had heard he was a dragon killer. She didn't know for sure whether or not to believe it. Dragons were strong creatures and not just anyone could kill one. Still she would find out and decide her next step from there.

She sat in a tavern, it was dimly lit from candles, fighting the darkness that pushed its way in from the outside. The tavern wasn't exactly the best one she had been in, but it wasn't the worst. It was a roof over her head, ale and food and her belly and warmth from the heath kept safe from the elements by the thick walls.

She had felt eyes on her all night, but none of the men had been brave or stupid enough to approach her. She was thankful. All she needed was to have to make a scene because someone couldn't keep there hands to themselves.

DarkAssassin

James sat in almost the exact opposite corner of the tavern of this young woman, though he had hardly paid attention to her at first. It was, especially in a place such as this, an increasingly idiotic idea that one should approach a new face to an older tavern. He had glanced at the woman as she had entered, taking note of her quickly and stashing the immediate information away for later.

Now he sat silent as usual, hidden by shadows save for his emerald eyes, which glowed eerily in the dark. His table was otherwise empty, and a simple bottle of wine sat half finished before him. There was not so much business to be had lately in Zantaric, despite the usual fruitfulness of the place.

It hadn't taken long for the man known as The Dark Assassin to take notice of the other men's eyes. They had continuously moved from wherever they were looking back to the new woman who sat alone. At first, James assumed this meant she was holding something rare, or perhaps that she was more dangerous than she looked, but eventually he realized it was simply her striking appearance.

Narrowing his eyes, James took note of exactly how many men had looked at her, making no move yet himself. Instead, he reached slowly for his wine bottle and tilted back his head as he downed the rest.

paganchick

Sapphira in her long life, had learned to not care about men staring. She knew she was beautiful, and that her beauty was striking and a bit unusual. As long as they didn't try to touch her she was fine, that was where she drew the line in the sand, so to speak.

She had taken notice of each person in the tavern, most of them men. There was one in particular that had grabbed her attention. A man sitting in the corner, one with glowing green eyes, the man that fit the description of the man she was to gather information on. She had only allowed herself a passing glimpse as she had walked into the bar, but with her sharp eyes that was all she needed to map out every visible part of his being in her mind. She leaned back heavily in her chair, her back arching slightly, making a loud popping sound as she did so, which only drew more eyes her way. She flipped her vibrant red hair over her delicate looking shoulders with a sigh before grabbing her bottle of elvish wine and knocking back most of the bottle.

DarkAssassin

Placing the empty wine bottle back on the table, the slightest twitch of a smile touched James' lips at the movement of the woman. He wasn't looking directly at her, but that sound she had made combined with her movement and sigh was loud enough to be heard at the other end of the forest. He kept his own eyes focused on the table as inevitably all of the other mens' turned to her.

Isn't she bold, he thought.

Leaning back slightly in his own chair, far enough that his cloaked shoulders touched the wall behind him, James finally turned his naturally cold gaze upon the woman. But unlike the others, he didn't look away. He watched, unblinking, looking mostly like a floating pair of eyes surrounded by a shimmering shadow.

paganchick

Sapphira could feel the man staring, a hint of a smirk played at the corners of her mouth.
Slowly her own pair of green eyes turned to meet the mans directly, boldly. The man didn't scare her, he could be not more of a monster than she herself or someone she had killed.
The look on her face almost dared the man to do something. To look away. To approach. To do something. She raised here eyebrow with a slight roll of her eyes and another flick of her hair before she turned away, returning to her bottle of wine.

She was a well rehearsed actor in the role of the flirtatious beauty, and she would most definitely use it to her advantage.

DarkAssassin

As she raised her brow and flicked her hair, James continued to stare. He watched her steadily, easily reading from the look exactly what she wished to convey. Still, he did not wish to attract the attention of anyone other than her by this point.

Leaning back in his chair still, he waited until she had returned to her bottle of wine. Then, his eyes narrowing, he located a spot of darkness near where she sat. In a swift, sudden and silent motion he lifted himself from the chair, seemingly melding into the shadows behind him and vanishing. Almost instantaneously, he slid out of the spot he had been staring at moments before and sat down gently across from the woman in a position that made the candlelight intensify the coldness of his eyes.

He rested a single arm on the table, gazing into her eyes as he spoke. His deep, icy voice was low as it rumbled around them. "Thirty. Six." He said each number pointedly.

paganchick

Sapphira raised an eyebrow as she leaned heavily back in her chair. She honesty had no idea what the man was talking about, but she didn't it show.
She looked over the man slowly, her eyes drawing every detail of his form. She doubted he was human. No, she knew he wasn't human, she could just feel it somewhere deep in her bones.

She offered him a soft, seductive smile, the tips of her slightly pointy canines showing. He seemed so cold, and by nature she was fiery, she was instantly drawn to the man and his, oddness to her.
She absent mindedly ran her fingers over the scar on her face, a bit of a tick she had picked up over the years as she looked at the man.

This was definitely the man she was after, now to just capture his attention enough to get him to be interested in her, to get him to want to chase her.

"Thirty. six. you say?" She spoke, spacing out the words exactly the way he had.

DarkAssassin

The Dark Assassin nodded slowly, eyes never leaving her face. "Thirty-six. The number of men whose eyes so easily landed on you while you put on that miniature show." He paused, his face impassive. He could see there was something more beneath this beauty. That much was obvious. "Yet, you clearly didn't care for any of them. Otherwise, you would have approached one of them or perhaps ceased your act after gaining so much attention the first time."

James' emerald eyes glinted in the candlelight. His strong face was partially visible in the dancing shadows, dark hair falling close to his eyes. "You wanted me. And here I am."

Something seemed familiar about the red head, though James couldn't think of what it was. She was far more beautiful than most types that came to this dreary tavern, but that couldn't be it. No. Something inside of her. That something more.

paganchick

"A girl has to pop her back every now and then, doesn't she? Not a crime?" Sapphira replied, her smirk playful, the same smirk daring him. She found that she was enjoying this game. He was a hard catch, straight to the point, if she managed to catch his attention she knew he would be like a predator stalking her. She didn't mind playing the prey though, it would be and interesting change of role, and one could learn a lot about someone when watching them try to catch there prey.

"Maybe I just wanted some company from mister dark and brooding?" Sapphira added after a moment, holding his eyes with her own.

DarkAssassin

"Not a crime, no. But here, there is no crime. Only survival," he replied.

He doubted she had been in this place very long by her demeanour, but she most definitely was not someone to stay in one place. He had never seen her around Zantaric before. A well traveled person could know anything, be anything. James knew better than to be a fool about such things.

I don't even know if this is who you are, he thought with an increased interest. But I'll find out eventually.

He gazed into her face, taking in everything, analyzing what he could. Finally allowing himself to blink once, he stated calmly, "There are many dark and brooding types around here, Miss. You have your pick in this place. So I'll repeat my simple question. What do you want from me?"

paganchick

"Well then it is a good think that I am pretty good at keeping myself alive," Sapphira replied. Her demeanor was flirty, almost care free. Of course she was watching everyone in the room with glances here and there through reflective surfaces. She knew better than to ever let her guard down, Especially in a place like Zantaric.

"Well because you take the cake for being the darkest and most brooding of course," Sapphira replied, her smirk never leaving her face. She could see the slight interest in his eyes, she just had to get him to bite the bait.

"Why do I have to want something from you?"

DarkAssassin

He watched her carefully, listening to her tone of voice and noticing each small glance she made. He knew that she wasn't foolish enough to be unprepared for any sort of disturbance, that much was easy to see. The sound of her voice was intriguing, luring, but James knew better than to fall for such a simple trap. This wasn't the first woman he had come across.

But she may be the most beautiful, he thought. The issue is, she knows it. Perhaps it's time for a small test.

Narrowing his eyes at her comments, he matched her smirk with his own emotionless expression. "Because if you're just looking for company, you'll have to look somewhere else."

Pulling his arm back, James stood from the chair, towering over the woman and the table. Immediately, the eyes in the room flitted over to the new movement.

paganchick

Sapphira looked up at the man. No doubt he was tall, yes, he had to be the man she was looking for. He fit the description too well not to be her man.
"Well who is making a scene now?" Sapphira spoke in almost a whisper as he tempted and dared her, testing her. She would play along, if anything she was having fun.

Before the man could get in a word though she stood, turning her back on the man as she stepped towards the door. She looked over her shoulder towards him.
"You couldn't handle me if you wanted to," She spoke, making her voice just loud enough so everyone could hear her. She then turned her back, walking out of the tavern, her hips swaying back and forth giving everyone a nice show as she left. She chuckled to herself as she left the tavern. She didn't know if he would follow, chase after her in rage, or something else, maybe lose interest completely. She was hoping her stab at his male ego would make him chase after though, counting on it even.

DarkAssassin

James remained silent as she whispered, staring down at her with a cold indifference. He could tell she was enjoying herself legitimately, and this only interested him further. He watched as she stood suddenly, eyes never leaving her and head swivelling as she spoke to him again and then made her way out of the tavern.

He could feel all of the eyes on him now, once the woman had left of course. He had watched her just as they had, but instead of mindless enjoyment at her figure, he had gotten something else. He had gotten his answer. A twitch of his lips signified his spike in interest after his discovery. He stepped back slowly into the darkness from which he had come to her table, vanishing again as soon as everyone's eyes had left him.

He reappeared from the shade of a massive oak not far from the tavern entrance. He strode briskly onto the path, lit only by pale moonlight and twinkling stars. Stepping directly in front of where the woman was walking, he halted and gazed down at her, emerald eyes glowing powerfully.

"You enjoy games, don't you, Miss?" his voice was barely audible, chilling in the crisp air.

paganchick

Sapphira offered the man a chuckle. She could tell that he had taken the bait, now, here they were in this game.
"And you are full of questions, no?" Sapphira replied placing her hands on her popped hip as she looked up at the man. She stared up at him unafraid and unintimidated, and it was written all over her face. If he was the man she thought he was, which she was sure he was, they were both assassins. They were on the same playing field.

DarkAssassin

"Only for those full of answers." He looked back down at her, aware of her lack of fear or worry. "You wanted me to follow you. You wanted me alone. Out in the open." He tilted his head just slightly as his eyes narrowed again. "Once again I have granted you this."

His cloak rustled slightly in the gentle night breeze, body almost completely hidden by it. He looked like a giant shadow. A living blackness.

"Here is the next step in your game, if you even believed you'd get this far. Though you know so little about the rules and the mind of your opponent ..." His eyes seemed to glow brighter. "It is a good thing you are the one moving the pawns." His tone in this last sentence held the tiniest bit of sarcasm.

Then he stood silent and still.

paganchick

Sapphira chuckled again.

"Sir, I think you give me more credit then I am due, clearly you think I am some master mind, I am flattered," She added, playing innocent. Sapphira stepped closer to the man, closing all but the tiniest gap of space between them.

"I didn't make you move to my table, or follow me out here, you are the one stalking me," She spoke her voice sweet, too sweet. She then once again turned her back on the man, flipping her crimson locks over her shoulder. A smirk played on her face as she moved to start walking away.

DarkAssassin

He stood and listened to her, watching her closely, not even flinching when she took that step toward him. His eyes glistened at her too-sweet voice and once she had turned her back on him he rolled his eyes.

He waited a moment, then walked after her, easily catching up to her smaller strides. He walked directly beside her, looking down the path, not at her. He remained silent, saying nothing. This woman was too into this game to even admit he had sniffed her out. She wasn't going to reveal any secrets, but that was fine. It made her more interesting, better prey. Forcing a mother duck to run until one finds it's ducklings was perhaps the easiest way to bring out someone such as this.

So for now he followed, moving over the ground like nothing at all. He would see where she took him, and how far.

paganchick

Sapphira ignored the man, it was clear he was going to follow her where ever she went, that was fine. If anything it meant she would have to worry about the other bandits there less. If she had heard of the mans reputation she was sure those there had as well. Which meant they wouldn't attack him, or those he was stalking.

Sapphira's destination was a inn, it wasn't anything spectacular for sure, but it would be a place to rest for the night.
"Am I going to have the pleasure of having you stalk me to my room and watch me as I sleep as well?" She asked as she entered the building.

DarkAssassin

James walked with her silently, never worried, but with his mind racing through possibilities and factors. He looked up at the inn as they approached and glanced at her.

"Perhaps," he said.

He walked after her into the inn, pulling the hood of his cloak over his face as he went.