Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Turnrin Wist's "The Flora and Fauna of the Great Continent of Le'raana.

Started by Alegretto, August 12, 2014, 11:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alegretto

((OOC: I'm taking submissions! If you want some creature, plant, or other thing included in Turnrin's catalogue, just PM me the details and I'll make an entry for it!

And yes, Turnrin writes in Comic Sans XD))

Preface

Herein lies my compiled notes detailing all the different species of plant or animal I've identified on my journey. For the sake of accuracy, I am only listing species that I have encountered personally.

If anyone other than myself is currently reading this, I apologize for the brevity of some entries. This is a working rough draft I carry around with me, and as such it was not written with access to the full body of my notes back at the Monastery. When I return there and have a substantial length of time in which to do so I will flesh out this catalogue.

Brother Frost's Note: This manuscript has fallen into my hands for editing, and you may see some of my edits inside in a different handwriting then Brother Turnrin's.

Alegretto

Humans and other species fortunate enough to share Kia's great gift of consciousness

Humans: the most common sentient species on the continent, humans live almost everywhere, can adapt to almost any condition, and come in many different sizes, shapes, and colors. All humans, however, possess what will from here on be described as the 'humanoid' shape. That is, they possess two arms, two legs, a body, and a head.

Elves: A humanoid species that shares cosmetic similarities with the human, other than a generally larger height and pointed ears, but is a completely different species. Several varieties of Elf exist, the most prominent subspecies being the 'Drow' or Dark Elf. Elves are less common then humans, but equally widespread, and they can be found in many places.

Dwarves: A humanoid species, Dwarves are similar to humans but vary in significant ways. Dwarves are generally shorter, stockier, and hairier. Several different subspecies of Dwarf exist, including but not limited to Mountain, Hill, and City Dwarves. There are several Dwarven civilizations, most of them hidden safely away from human sight.

Halflings: A humanoid species that has similar proportions to humans, body-wise, but scaled down on a scale of approximately one-half the average human body. Halflings are not as well geographically wide-spread as humans, but can still be found in most places on the continent.

Orcs: A humanoid species of larger than human build in all dimensions. Most, though not all, posses green skin and tusks. Orcs are reputed to be on average less intelligent than humans, but in my experience it varies between individuals. Most Orcs live in isolated tribes in Southern Le'raana, but this isn't true for all examples of the species.

Kobolds: Any of a large variety of reptile-like species that stand on two legs. Often associated with minor magics and tricks. Live all over, and are known for being shrewd and clever. Known variants: Hill, water, mountain, stream, and plain.

Goblins: Nasty creatures, and I'm not sure I should really put them in this section. Still, they can talk so I suppose I must. Short, generally foul-smelling, and almost-always wretched, these are usually hostile creatures known for their short tempers and cruel dispositions. Just as with every species, not all of them are like this. Of course, I have yet to meet one who is not... Usually have green or brown skin, about halfling sized, generally hairless with pointed ears, and all of them have pointy teeth. Ugh.

Alegretto

All species not blessed with Kia's gift of consciousness

This section is further divided into: Skinned or Furred Species, Scaled Species, Feathered Species, and Shelled Species

Skinned or Furred Species

Horses: The most common method of transportation on La'reena. These four-legged animals are known for their speed and endurance. They have long 'faces' and large bodies, usually a bit larger than a man. They are covered in short hair that ranged in color from brown to black and everything in between.

Dogs: Four-legged, come in all shapes and sizes. Honestly, if it pants, has fur, walk's on four legs, and will run after a stick, it's probably a dog. This part appears to have been added at a later date: Correction: Not all dogs have fur.

Scaled Species

Dragons: Come in all shapes and sized, usually breathe fire, always scaled, sometimes have spines, would write more but I really need to r- Brother Frost's note: This part was burned when Turnrin returned it to the monastery. He was similarly singed.

Winged Species
Butterfly Species of Le'raana:

Kia's Purple Emperor-
A species of butterfly that is a dark vivid purple all over its body. Known for its spectacular beauty, the coloring of the Purple Emperor is one often associated with royalty, hence the name. The main body is black with some white specks. This species is mostly seen nearby the northern parts of Le'ranna, but does migrate to other parts of the continent.
((OOC: Provided by Ethereal-Star))

Pink Speckled Admiral-
This butterfly has candy-colored pink wings dotted with black spots on the wings. It is a moderately sized butterfly, a bit larger than some other butterfly species, but not by much. It's main body is black. They are often seen in meadows, forests and other wooded areas and are especially drawn to various white and pink flowers.

Western Sun Face-
Named for its vibrant yellow wings as though looking at the face of the sun itself, this butterfly type is larger than most and has a brown body. It is largely migratory, seen just about everywhere in Le'raana and elsewhere in the world, but especially in the western parts of the continent. It loves sunflowers and is often seen resting on one.

Shelled Species