Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sand in all the wrong places. [Globster!]

Started by Rhindeer, September 18, 2014, 01:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"Speaking of mammoth duty, there's nothing out there big enough to swallow a mammoth, is there?" She let out a laugh. "I mean, it certainly doesn't sound like you encountered anything frightening out there, if you're asking me about desert beasts."

Scarab said it less as a statement of fact and more as an act of reassurance. She knew sandworms grew huge, but she wasn't actually how big. Just big.

"The only other real threat I know of are brigands. Surely they wouldn't trifle with your band?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Drex seemed to give her question some actual thought before shaking his head.

"If there's something big enough to swallow a mammoth then I haven't seen or heard of it," he said bluntly. He looked down at her.

"Brigand's ain't nothing. You should hear some of Borzclubb's old war stories, people are the least of our problems."

He quickly corrected himself.

"Er, well the warband's problem. I'm not a full member yet."

Rhindeer

"You may as well be!" Scarab said, a puzzled look on her face as she glanced at him. "You travel with them and work for them, do you not? You seem dedicated, considering I recall you mentioning this isn't your first trip. So what does it take to be a full member if not that? What's the difference between a full and not-full member?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"Well, can't you tell? I'm a runt," Drex said.

They passed out through the gate at this point, and they must've looked like quite the sight. A shaggy, foreign beast carrying a merchant princess, her luggage, two kegs, and an ogre.

They certainly got their share of odd looks.

"I've got a good throw, and I'm good with the animals, but Borzclubb's never going to put me on any battle lines until I put some more size on and, well... I'm pretty much done growing. I've tried to bulk up but all that did was make me sick," he said.

"Just a measly eight feet tall, no way I could stand up there with the bulls..."

Rhindeer

"Measly eight feet tall?!" Scarab's jaw dropped. Granted, she had seen the size of the other ogres, including Borzclubb, and Drex had mentioned before that he was small, but a runt? That was the last word that popped into her head when she looked at him!

"So you can never become a member just because you're too short? That doesn't seem fair if you otherwise have the skill and experience! You basically do everything they do, don't you?"

DaGlobster

"I mean, I get paid well. Not as much as the actual soldiers, but It's not like they drag me through the dirt, I just..."

He shook his head.

"You haven't seen Ogres at war. When we form lines it's a wall of muscle and metal, running straight through armies. When one of you is worth twenty of the enemy and you're outnumbered twice as much, ever Ogre needs to be able to cover his brothers. I'd just be a liability, a chink in the wall."

Then, he smiled.

"None of the other ogres can throw a spear as hard as I can, though. Or as well. And the others are too big to scout, too."

Rhindeer

...Well, when he put it that way, it made more sense. A chink in the armor. But what a sad way to regard oneself.

At least he didn't seem too upset, having found a few things to boast about after!

Scarab smiled at him, tossing one of her dreadlocks over her shoulder. "And for what it's worth, you're ten times as strong as any human man I've seen, and at least twice as tall. You would be the terror of the colosseum! You may be small among your kind, but you're hardly a runt. I think you're quite powerful!"

She winked. "You'll have to show me your throwing skills some time. I'd like to see it."

DaGlobster

"O-oh, well, you saw my throwing skills against the Ankheg," he said. He was quite unused to hearing compliments like that from a female. Ogre women grew on the same scale as the men, and being called powerful and winked at made him a little bashful.

Borzclubb had told him that Ogres were like giants to humans, but he'd never thought...

He snapped back to reality, probably overthinking it all, and shrugged it off with a laugh.

"You'll see it alright. I can throw a javelin from here to the tops of those walls," he started, pointing backwards at the walls of Essyrn. Ahead of them, the Ogre caravan (or rather, the large shapes of the mammoths) could be seen in the distance.

"Easy."

Rhindeer

Scarab grinned, and decided not to mention that she remembered that, and also remembered that he'd missed. But it had still been pretty impressive! She wouldn't have been able to lift the javelin at all.

And also, was he...suddenly being all shy? Was that the tone she heard?

"Just because I've seen it before doesn't mean I don't want to see it again! Especially in a situation that isn't life or death, so I can properly concentrate on the feat and not on, well...not dying," she said with a laugh. "But might I suggest you don't throw javelins at Essyrn's walls? I don't think the sentries would be very happy about that."

DaGlobster

Gar chuckled.

"Yeah, I bet they'd have an issue with it," he said, relaxing a bit more in the saddle.

"Gotta say, I've never met anyone who was so interested in javelin throwing. I know you humans do all kinds of sports, though."

He took his hands off the reigns for a few moments to take a swig from his canteen, more of that sweetened light ale that refreshed the whole mouth with just a few sips. He offered it to Scarab, arm coming at her from side.

"Want some more drink?"

Rhindeer

"Oh, I love sports! Well, watching them, at least, and not the bloody ones. The reenactments and mock battles are entertaining, but I don't like when people actually get hurt. So yes! Javelin throwing sounds fun and interesting enough to me," Scarab said with a smile as she accepted the canteen from him.

She took a quick swig from it, too hot and parched to care about drinking after him. Besides, she had been on enough business trips to worry about swapping spit that way.

"Do your kind care much about sports?"

DaGlobster

"We do, we just don't got as many. Not as much space in the mountains," Drex said, shooting a smile down at her.

"Boulder tossing competitions are loved in all the clans. Troll wrestling, eat-offs, both're pretty common. Armwalling and headbutt tournaments are preferred by the foothill clans but we mountainers are above that kind of stuff."

Rhindeer

"Those are...certainly unconventional choices of sports..." Scarab said slowly. Boulder tossing? Troll wrestling? "Although, we have eating contests here, too! Nothing, I'd imagine, like what you would have."

She looked back at him curiously. "Do you play those sports at your festival?"

DaGlobster

"Aye, I've tossed a couple boulders before. Wasn't too bad at it, either." he said, smiling as he remembered home

"And sometimes, if the lowland clannies were present, I've even played Headbutt once, when I was really smashed," Drex continued.

"I lost, but not for any lack of tryin'. Hilldweller's skull was thicker than stone."

Rhindeer

"...What's a Hilldweller?" Scarab said with a tilt of her head. For every question he answered, it seemed she had five more, using terms she was unfamiliar with but which obviously meant something to him. "And, ah, Headbutt? As in literally smashing your heads together?"

She winced in sympathy, passing a hand over her own forehead. "Just to be doubly certain, I won't be expected to participate in any, ah...rough games, will I? I don't wish to be a spoil sport nor do I want to be rude, mind! I just don't think I'm quite built for that level of play."

DaGlobster

He gave her an appraising glance backwards, and shrugged.

"Who knows, maybe you've got a mammoth's heart in you," he said, but gave her an honest smile to soothe the tease.

"Hilldwellers're those ogres who build their clans in the foothills around the mountains. Ain't as high-minded or as industrious as us higher ogres, but they're clan nonetheless."

They arrived at the caravan, then. The mammoths had been tended to, and many of the ogres looked relieved to be taking their leave from the hash deserts of Essyrn.

"Nobody's forced to do anything, but if ya needed a champion I'd volunteer for you," he added with a chuckle.

a few moments of quiet as he guided his rhinox towards the beast handler, and then slipped off. Once again, he offered her his hand and arm to help her dismount.

"And yes, headbutting as in smashing your heads together. Until one of you can't do it anymore."

Rhindeer

"Er...does anyone ever die from that sort of thing?" Scarab asked as she took his arm and slid carefully off of the beast. She adjusted her clothes as soon as she was stable, straightening out the parts that had gotten rumpled from their ride and a little dusty from the rhinox.

"And when you say champion, you mean that your fights are sometimes sponsored? Like, say, some of the more successful gladiators here? Interesting. Is it just a formality, or are there rewards for these contests of yours? Though I suppose pride in accomplishment could be considered its own reward, but I mean more like tangible benefits."

She rubbed her chin musingly. "I wouldn't be opposed to watching your games. But, I suppose that is for the future, no?"

DaGlobster

"Who'd die from just a couple harmless knocks to the skull?" Drex said, looking at Scarab rather quizzically. He unloaded her luggage and carried it all rather easily.

"And yeah, you'll have all the time you'll need to learn about us," he added with a thoughtful nod of his head towards her.

"Eat our food, drink our booze."

Drex himself was mostly just happy to talk to someone who wasn't an Ogre. She was just so... different!

"There isn't always rewards, but if someone wants to bet something there's usually takers. When the clans gather for Feastmoot there are great contests over promotions or prizes of treasure."

Then, he nudged her with an elbow.

"The very same Feastmoot that we're returning to the holds to celebrate."

Rhindeer

"Feastmoot," Scarab repeated, and she pressed her lips together to keep from giggling. They had such funny names for things, these ogres, but no doubt it would be terribly rude to voice that out loud.

"This will certainly be an interesting cultural exchange, for sure. And again, I really must thank you for everything you've done so far," she said, turning to him and laying a hand on his arm. "You've been a wonderful guide and a true help. I truly appreciate it, I hope you know."

DaGlobster

"Ach, it's nothin'," said Drex, and he gave her a warm nod.

"You've made pleasant company of yourself so far " he teased, and he looked around. After a moment, he looked back to Scarab with a raised eyebrow.

"So, you packed a tent, right? "