Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Nobody's Fool

Started by wolfie, September 24, 2013, 06:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfie

It had been a rough day. Julianna was dealing with her daughter's antics again as the girl was trying to get more time with her mother's attention. She also had a province to run. Things were going well enough with her work, but her daughter though. She sighed not sure what to do about the girl.

Julianna was ready for a meal. She sat at the table as a plate was brought before her. The food looked wonderful. Her daughter also joined her. She wasn't pleased.

"I heard about that prank you pulled. That was the last straw. Our entertainment tonight will not be here we don't have anything now. The juggler said he couldn't tolerate such antics from you. Seriously, what am I going to do with you?" she heard herself saying. She realized she sounded more like a parent now than ever. Her daughter just shrugged and continued eating.

Meanwile she already had someone looking for new entertainment. It wouldn't pay much, but the person would be able to stay there with them and would have food if they were any good. That was something at least.

The person looking stopped some guy on the road, "you looking for work?"

Minion

Garbed in street clothes, a tall wiry man stood on the corner of a lesser populated street entertaining a group of street urchins with sleight of hand tricks. He was currently in between jobs but had it on good authority that there was an up and coming opportunity in the province of Fallial to cause a bit of mischief. The High Lady had suffered several losses of late and therefore in Efrain's humble opinion was in need of some cheering up.

Of course, the jester had ulterior motives for wanting to get into her good graces if he could, but she did not need to know that. That would all come out later down the road, if ever that is. Across the street he caught sight of a man watching him intently without even trying to hide it. Judging by the livery, he would not be between jobs for long.

Sure enough, once he was finished the man approached him and without any preamble questioned about looking for work. Efrain pursed his lips and sent the children on their way. "What kind of working are you talking about?"

wolfie

It didn't take long before the kids were gone and he had this guy's attention. They got down to business easy enough.

"Entertaining job for the Lady. She just had one leave and loves to be entertained during dinner. Her daughter doesn't usually like the entertainment portions so if you can get her on board that would be good too. Unless you aren't interested after all," the man said. He stood there waiting for a reply. It looked like he would wait forever if he had to.

Meanwhile, dinner was very dull. There was nothing there but silence. Julianna thought about starting a conversation, but there was only her daughter. She wasn't sure what she would talk to her daughter about. Lately she had nothing but business to deal with, and she knew that wouldn't be something to talk to her daughter about. Besides it seemed her daughter was more interested in eating quickly and leaving than being with her mother just then.

Minion

He sighed slightly in disappointment. He had hoped for a bit more finesse given that the man speaking with him worked for the High Lady herself, however beggars could not be choosers and jesters could not be street performers, at least not ones of his caliber.

"Might I ask the reason for the last one's abdication of his position? I would prefer to have all the cards on the table before I jump through your hoops blindly," he stated cagily, disregarding the fact that he had no intention of laying all of his cards on the table for the High Lady and her company to see until it was too late. Such was his way.

wolfie

"If you mean her husband and father they both are deceased. If you are talking about the last performer, well he found a different job elsewhere where he could easily get into a lady's bed if he preferred. The Lady didn't keep him, because she wasn't interested in such affairs," the man answered. He wasn't sure he liked the looks of this man. He couldn't be too choosy though in the fact that they didn't have much to offer.

"So you are interested in the position?"

Minion

His brow raised in skeptical surprise at being told about the deaths of the two males. He certainly had meant the last performer but the extra tidbit of information was filed away for another time. Efrain snorted and shook his head. 'What fool would be so simple as to try and bed their employer? Amateur!'

"If an entertainer she be seeking than an entertainer she shall receive," he answered, mock-bowing before the man and effectively hiding the cruel smirk already forming on his lips. 'Let the games begin!'

wolfie

"Good then let us be on our way. She doesn't like being kept waiting," the man said. He was ready to show his efforts of the day to his lady. He wasn't sure about this wondering if he should have sought someone else. He didn't even know what this man could do.

"How will you be entertaining the Lady? I will need to know to announce you," he said waiting for this one to start moving.

Minion

Efrain did not know what to think of the man currently trying to recruit him. "You just hired a man whose talents you know nothing about? I really don't see why your Lady needs a fool when she already has one in you. Do you not realize your true calling here boy?"

wolfie

"Yet you are ready to follow me to this job. What does that make you?" He said not liking this. He had tried jokes already and couldn't get a good response from the Lady or the child. He wasn't about to quit his day job after that attempt.

"You going to tell me what you plan to do to entertain them or are we just going to trade remarks back and forth all day? Trust me that isn't going to get you any food, and I do have responsiblities to attend to."

Minion

"An opportunist," the jester sniped back with a sneer. "Oh I'm sorry," he said seeming to change his tune. "I didn't realize that my occupation was not self-explanatory enough for you. Or perhaps you have a few too many nails loose in that head of yours and require someone to hammer it all home for you."

Efrain chuckled darkly at his own joke before dropping into a flourish of a mock bow. "I am Efrain Harrell, Jester to only the best that money can buy."

wolfie

He wasn't sure this guy was who the Lady needed. Still he couldn't do anything about this. They needed entertainment, and this was the only one interested in the job right now. He then heard about the payment portion of this.

"Oh I'm sorry didn't I inform you? There isn't any money. It will be room and board and meals for payment. Its the best she can do," he said figuring he was back to the drawing board and would have to look elsewhere.

Minion

"A Lady as you say and that's all she can afford?" Efrain replied snarkily, a brow raised in disbelief. "You must be joking!" He shook his head in disgust while rolling his eyes. "Well lead on then, least you can do for all your pranks you poor sod."

(OOC: I am SOOOOO sorry for being late in my replies. I have no excuse *hangs head*)

wolfie

"That's right," the man said thinking he had lost this one too. He just couldn't seem to get a break today. He shook his head at the joking part. It was a poor area he would be going to if he indeed wanted the job still. He figured he needed to keep looking until he heard the other words.

"Tis no joke. Fallial isn't a rich area so I wouldn't expect much from it. This way," he said wondering just how long before this one left as well. Not many could take on this job and stay. At least not for what they had to offer and with the daughter. He wished there were some money.

((OOC: Don't worry about it. School started for me so replies haven't been coming fast for me either. It comes when it comes. ;)))

@Minion