Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Kirin Quest! [open!]

Started by Rhindeer, December 06, 2014, 01:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaGlobster

Swarm oriented their head towards Kuan.

"We have some members of us who are familiar with some areas beyond the river," Swarm stated. "However, our knowledge is incomplete."

Wicked Basket

"I can handle anyfing we find in dat stinkin' jungle," Gutztomp stated. "Let's just get moving already."

Ahnnie

Kaye bowed to the Maharani and followed Kuan outside. He too noticed the mismatched ensemble that made up the group, although for someone who appreciated variety, he found it amusing and enjoyable. A mysterious wrapped man, a giant green ork, a Temple warrior, a fortuneteller, and a girl of unknown caste--perhaps they weren't the hardiest of adventurers, but who knew what fortune had in store for them?

Kuan then spoke up as they were walking, saying they would go until nightfall and then make up camp. "I'm familiar with the first leg of the journey, but past the river, the jungle is all new to me," she added.

Swarm said some of their members were knowledgeable of areas beyond the river, but it was incomplete knowledge. He sure had a funny way of speaking as if he were more than one person!

And Gut Stomp? Well, he was just as brazenly confident as ever. "I can handle anyfing we find in dat stinkin' jungle. Let's just get moving already." Their pace was apparently not fast enough for him.  Kaye had no doubt he'd be one of the hardiest in the group.

And Shayal...Kaye gave her a brief glance. She was the relatively quiet and reserved person of the group. At least, she appeared that way to him. She certainly was determined to go through with the quest. But why? What purpose did she have in coming here? Kaye wanted to see something new, Swarm wanted land, Gut Stomp wanted hunting thrills, Kuan was going on the Maharani's behalf, but Shayal...now she was a mystery.

"Have you ever been traveling before?" Kaye asked Shayal then to see what he could get out of her. He also found conversation a little wanting amongst them. The other three were a little more intimidating to approach (especially Gut Stomp), but Shayal seemed perfectly affable. Not that he wouldn't talk to the others eventually. Shayal just seemed like a good starting point.

R.R. Pebble

Shayal's voice was quiet, just barely above a whisper, but it got stronger as she spoke. "Not beyond a few local villages, no." she said, "but I've heard stories. People... tell me things. You can't always trust what they say, mind you, no more than you can a Bard's Tale, but I've heard some stories from beyond the river. And for myself, I believe them."

Rhindeer

Kuan looked at the odd, covered man beside her, her eyebrows raising slowly.

"Is there a reason you speak in of yourself in the plural?" she asked as she lead the group into the jungle that bordered the temple, ignoring Gutztomp's impatient complaints.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Swarm directed their head towards Kuan.

"We understand your question. Swarm is plural. We are many, made one," they said. From the folds of wrappings on their shoulder, a mantis crawled out, sitting there and directing its eyes at Kuan.

"We had hoped to keep this concealed. We did not want to trouble our fellow travelers."

Rhindeer

Kuan directed her cool, two-toned gaze to the mantis, and then looked back up at "Swarm's" covered face.

If she was disturbed by the news, it didn't show on her face.

"What are you?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"We have already answered your question. We are Swarm, one forged from many."

Swarm crossed their arms, a disturbingly human gesture, given the implications.

"Perhaps we will demonstrate later. Not now. We do not want to disturb our traveling partners."

Rhindeer

[I don't know if Ahnnie and Pebble are still around so...>_> I guess keep it going? If you guys come back, hop back in if you like! 8D We can just assume your characters have been traveling alongside ours!]

Kuan eyed Swarm, not really liking the implications. But he--it--had been benign thus far.

Didn't mean she wouldn't keep a close eye on him, though, or that she'd trust him. If there was one thing Kuan never trusted, it was the unknown. It was safer to assume something was a potential threat until proven otherwise, rather than the opposite.

"Ah, of course," she said simply, as though he had answered her question, when in reality he'd just created a hundred others. "Honestly, I don't really care what you are, so long as you're not a threat."

DaGlobster

[Maybe if the stars align, it'll just be Swarm and Kuan, TRAPPIN' ZE KIRINS. Also, Wow, that's a bit of a coincidence, I just realized. The whole kirin capturing and such.]

"Swarm is not a threat. We are here to complete an objective and receive a reward. It would be detrimental to threaten those that would help us achieve said objective," they explained.

Wicked Basket

[Two is such a couple. Three is a party.]

Gutztomp was getting bored, which was very dangerous. When ork got bored, he created his own entertainment which entailed punching the face of the individual nearest him with the intention of starting an nice enjoyable brawl. After examining who he was stuck with, the supposed leader of this small group seemed the most capable of putting up a worthwhile fight. She would be the target if he didn't get to hit anything soon.

"How much longer," Gutztomp asked.

Rhindeer

[>8D They're sure not gonna be facing a meek Riyarin.]

"To the river?" Kuan said, looking away from Swarm for a moment to eye the big, green brute. "Not much farther. Beyond that? I'm not sure. To catch a kirin?" Her expression was calm as ever, and pointedly blank. She didn't see the point in mentioning that she thought the Maharani was sending them all on a fruitless, pointless quest, all over some legend, to track a creature that hadn't been seen in ages that had supposedly brought the nation luck and prosperity during some ruler's reign.

She might be religious and believe deeply in Inima, but she was still a skeptic about a lot of things.

"I suppose that depends on luck, and how well we work as a team. Are any of you skilled at tracking?"

DaGlobster

[Le gasp!]

Swarm held a hand up to the side of their head, nodding as if someone was speaking to them. After a few moments, they spoke up.

"One of our collective claims to have seen a Kirin. Although her account is shaky at best, she claims she knows the scent. We concur that we can use this information to track out target, as long as we find a trail to begin with."

Swarm looked over to Gutztomp.

"We doubt the green one has any substantial knowledge, but we can always be pleasantly surprised."

Wicked Basket

"What'd you say to me, bugman," Gutztomp challenged.

DaGlobster

Swarm didn't budge.

"Are we incorrect in our assessment?"

Rhindeer

Kuan rolled her eyes toward the canopy and wedged her body between the two of them, just in case.

"There were more tactful ways to state that, but I don't believe that was an insult. Do you have knowledge of tracking or kirin, Gut Stomp? It would be helpful."

Wicked Basket

"Well, I don't see any tracks anywhere," Gutztomp observed. "How am I supposed to track somefing without tracks?"

DaGlobster

"We'll know the tracks when we find them. Given their nature, we infer Kirins must have quite distinctive tracks."

Swarm lifted a palm, and a few flies fluttered out from between the folds of his fabric, and flew off into the jungle ahead.

"We will send a few scouts ahead, though."

Rhindeer

Kuan narrowed her eyes an increment or two, barely enough to be noticed, as the flies buzzed away.

Yeah, she had some guesses as to this one's nature, now.

"Provided they aren't eaten by spiders or lizards," she remarked lightly, before she pushed on ahead, getting some momentum so she could vault over the thick trunk of a fallen tree.

Wicked Basket

Gutztomp chuckled slightly at the thought of Swarm's bugs being eaten. Unlike Kuan, he didn't vault over the fallen tree. Instead, he wanted to get rid of the problem altogether. Displaying his great strength, Gutztomp moved the tree to the side of the path and out of the way. Now he wouldn't have to bother with it on the way back. Satisfied with his handiwork, the ork continued onward.