Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Kirin Quest! [open!]

Started by Rhindeer, December 06, 2014, 01:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaGlobster

Swarm had just gotten over the tree with relatively little effort when Gutztomp moved it.

Making nothing of it, Swarm ignored what they perceived as the lumbering brute's attempts to show off and kept walking.

"If they are eaten, then they die in service of the collective. But they will not be eaten. If they were regular, unenlightened flies, perhaps, but all of us have seen the light of sapience. the webs of spiders, and tongues of lizards, no longer threaten us."

Rhindeer

Hm. Now that Kuan thought about it, mismatched though they were, they weren't a bad team.

Gutztomp was strong enough to lift trees. That would surely come in handy. Swarm had scouts and thus eyes everywhere, and could send them on ahead. Very useful. She had knowledge of the area, and knowledge of the legends.

"Enlightened flies," she said. "Those are two words I never thought to hear side by side."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Swarm didn't respond to Kuan's humor (if was humor), preferring to walk along silently. For what was supposed to be a colony of insects living under some robes, Swarm were chillingly quiet. their footsteps didn't even make much noise, considering just how tall they were.

Wicked Basket

"So wot do these Keern fings even look like," Gutztomp asked.

Rhindeer

"They're depicted as a cross between a deer and a dragon," Kuan said, "with fiery manes and the tail of an ox. They usually have antlers like deer, but some have horns sprouting from their foreheads. They breathe fire, and it's even said they can shapeshift."

She looked over at the ork. "They're not overly large, so I've heard. Mayve horse-sized. But they're powerful and fierce and rule over fire, and they're said to be lucky, too. It's hard to catch one, I've heard."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Swarm's head turned at the mention of fire. They all might be intelligent, but as insects, they all shared that primal fear of fire, further amplified by their collective consciousness. They shook off the momentary shock, though, and regained themselves.

"We can leave our cloth trappings and spread ourselves out. A surprise attack can be launched in this way, if we're careful."

Wicked Basket

"Dragons breathe fire too, but I've killed one of dem before," Gutztomp said. "This shouldn't be too tough. No puny keern is tougher den an ork." 

Rhindeer

Oh dear.

Kuan shot Gutztomp a warning look. "We're not going to kill the kirin. We're going to capture it. Unharmed," she said firmly, and rubbed at her temple.

"So please, exercise restraint. Now, a surprise attack, that may be useful. But I was thinking we should perhaps try diplomacy first. The legends say they're intelligent creatures. Failing that, of course, and it will be a fight."

DaGlobster

"We have a substantial amount of spiders among us. If we get the surprise attack on a kirin, we should be able to paralyze it. The rest of you would have to provide a distraction, of course," Swarm suggested.

"We can set up our ambush while diplomacy is ongoing. Perhaps..."

Swarm paused to look at Gutztomp again.

"Perhaps the green one should refrain from participating in the talking. We fear it may be... detrimental."

Wicked Basket

"You're detrimental," Gutztomp shot back even though he didn't know what that meant.

He was at the point where he just assumed every big word that Swarm used to describe him was an insult.

Rhindeer

Kuan's eyebrow twitched slightly at Gutztomp's remark--

That doesn't even make sense...

--But her expression remained politely neutral. Clearing her throat, she moved some palms out of the way and held them back for the others to pass, even if that wasn't necessary. It was just good manners!

"In any case," she said, "we're in agreement, Swarm. Gutztomp, when the time comes, please be quiet and let Swarm and I talk. You can be in charge knocking heads when we give the signal. How does that sound?"

Wicked Basket

Gutztomp responded with a wicked smile and loudly cracking his knuckles. He like knocking heads. He knocked heads clean off. The red fountain that occurred afterward was the most entertaining part. Oomans sure had a lot of blood in them.

DaGlobster

"It is relieving to us to see that an arrangement has been made," Swarm said.

"We do not doubt the green one's capability for combat. That much is clear."

Rhindeer

Kuan watched Gutztomp's face, noting the absolute glee on it. That...made her a little uneasy. She hoped he'd heard what she said about restraint, but she supposed there would be time to reiterate.

The sound of water grew gradually louder as they walked, and as they passed through another clump of trees and bushes, the area ahead opened up--and revealed the river itself. It was wide at this point, and higher than usual from a storm several days ago. It was the current, however, that would be the most problematic.

"We may want to walk up river for a bit before we cross," she said. "It's not deep, but the current's strong."

DaGlobster

Swarm shook their head.

"Nonsense. We can hover across. The green one can carry you through the current," Swarm said, and the sound of buzzing came from Swarm as all of the winged insects within them took flight. Swarm lifted up off the ground, as if weightless, and waited for Kuan's say on it.

Wicked Basket

Gutztomp looked down at the river.

"I can cross dis fing no problem," Gutztomp stated. "It's just water."

Rhindeer

...Kuan really didn't like that Swarm had just volunteered her to be carried by "the green one".

"The green one" seemed like the sort that might drown her before he helped her. And not even on purpose!

"I suppose there's no time to lose," she cautiously agreed, before she turned her two-toned gaze onto Gutztomp. "Would you be opposed to carrying me across?"

Though she said it in the same even, calm tones as ever, she was inwardly cringing.

Wicked Basket

"Do you think I can't," Gutztomp challenged. "I could carry dat damn log across if I wanted to. Carrying a tiny 'ooman will be easy."

Gutztomp then looked back to the river.

"How deep is dat river anyways? I ain't much of a swimmer. I need ta walk across da bottom."

DaGlobster

"It's not deep enough to fully submerge you," the hovering Swarm said as they crossed their arms.

"If depth becomes a problem, then we will assist you."

Rhindeer

Kuan adjusted her baldric, tightening the buckle just to be safe. "I have no doubts as to your capability here. So long as you don't treat me like a log, we'll be fine."

And then she turned to Gutztomp and looked him over. "Why don't I climb onto your shoulders?"