Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Plotting Thread: Hide in the shadows, or bask in uncertainty.

Started by IcarusDescension, December 06, 2014, 10:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IcarusDescension

[Edit: Thread currently getting underway, we've got a good group I think but if you have an interest in this thread then pitch us your idea!]

I have a brand new character I have yet to find an adventure for. Liri, is a rogue who after some time of fending for herself is attempting to escape the pitiless life of a wanderer and has found work in a tavern/inn. One of the guests drops an item before leaving (presumably an accident,) however when she tries to return it she witnesses his murder in progress.

Who was the stranger and why was his possession worth killing for, and how is she going to avoid being the next body? All questions we can discover [come up with] as the thread progresses.

Probably not the most original plot ever although I don't specifically recall it being done, none the less I thought I'd try to drum up some interest. Liri, as is described in detail in her bio, is cursed with an appearance other than her real self that she cannot shed - that of a young man. That doesn't really tie into the plot in any way that I can think of but I really want to get a chance to RP her rather than go create another character so I'll just run with it.

Location obviously still undetermined but can easily be settled when we see the other characters. She is not a powerful magic user or anything (no combat skills at all in fact outside of perhaps bow and knife used for hunting during her days as a wanderer.) Intended to focus more on mystery and suspense with some action thrown in rather than just jumping from one action scene to the next.

Sound like something you could work with? Please join me!

Ahnnie

I totally want this plot XDD. At the moment the two characters I think can work with this are Sacora or Temujin. Sacora mainly because she travels sometimes and stays at inns, and Temujin because he travels all the time and is only warming up to the idea of staying at inns ;D. Maybeeee we can have Kaye because he can do some soul-speaking...i.e, talking to dead souls...unless of course that sounds iffy to you.  I'm not too sure on Kaye simply because he's of a totally different culture altogether, and with this plot I can only envision the classical adventure-rp sort of characters like Sacora and/or Temujin. Just tell me what you think ^^.

Ethereal-Star

Might I possibly chime in with an idea? I really want to, LOL.

Anyway, first a couple questions/suggestions for ya regarding the victim and the object he dropped. Apparently this item is of importance to somebody and likely they wanted it back. Perhaps the victim was a thief of sorts and the person who wanted him dead was angry because he stole a family heirloom or some such. So if he was a thief I can so work with this idea. My input would be adding in Morguen my Fury character who is the perfect vengeance dealer/death dealer. Perhaps the person in question called upon her for vengeance and she acted in his stead to kill the thief that your character saw get murdered. Of course, I think the only evidence of Morguen being there would be the remnants of black smoke dissipating in her wake. And Liri stumbled upon this bit of info but didn't actually see Morguen herself. Therefore adding mystery and drama. Check my character's profile for more description.

Sound good?

Ethereal-Star

Interesting background for your character by the way. Good description of everything.

IcarusDescension

Thank you both for your interest!

Ahnnie, after reading over the three characters you mentioned (love them all by the way!) I couldn't really say that any of the three would be better or worse for this particular story since we are so flexible in where we can go with it. Ethereal's idea of bringing in a magical death-dealer might actually interact in interesting ways with Kaye's unusual abilities if you wanted to play that character, and the other two I think would work very well too. Really I'd have to say pick the character you most want to play and that you think you could do the most with in this setting. I'm not picky myself, as they would all create interesting RP opportunities.

Etherreal: (Thanks for your feedback on Liri's background by the way!) I was intrigued by your idea of bringing in Morguen as the assassin. In terms of RP, I think you would be signing up for the most challenging role of the three of us. Since Morguen is pretty much immortal, most dangers that would threaten mere mortals like Liri would mean little to her. Also, since she would have motive to hide her involvement in the thief's murder (assuming she cared to,) and given the fact that her character is described as "evil-ish" her role might be more as an antagonist than ally, or someone manipulating things behind the scenes more than in the open. It can in some ways be a different type of role playing when your character has little reason to fear danger. -Don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue with any of that as long as you've got an idea of how to work with that and keep the story fun for everyone (and it sounds like you do,) and it sounds fun to you.

Since I noticed that I have been somewhat remiss in filling out the role-playing limits section of my profile (my bad I'll fix that as soon as I have time) let me give you both some idea of what to expect from me here: I love writing and role-playing and though I'm somewhat new to this venue, in the past I've found that once I get into a story I tend to get somewhat prolific. I work afternoons and into the night Friday - Sunday, a 9-5 on Monday, and five pm to sometime in the morning on Tuesdays. At all other times -that I'm not sleeping- I'm probably at my computer and would love to do some posting. If either of you are the type of person who consistently only posts once every few days *please* let me know in advance so I can try to work around that. For example, if you tend to wait days between posts are you OK with me moving the story along in the meantime providing the story isn't hinging on your character's response or action? (To be clear I don't mean writing your character's actions for you as I'm sure we can all agree that would not be OK for any of us to do without prior permission.)

First and foremost I trust both of you and your ideas/judgement and I look forward to writing our story with you! So assuming you're both still interested and ready to jump in then go ahead and make your final character selection and in the meantime I'll start working on an intro post to kick off the story. As far as setting goes, Liri has spent most of her time up till now a wandering rogue so the setting could really begin about anywhere. Do either of you have a particular preference where we start off? I'm new to this world and and such am probably not as familiar as one or both of you are with the various settings it has to offer.

I tend to be the type of person who kicks off a story without knowing too much about the plot and then develops it as it goes along. That said, if there are any other questions/ideas or something I've forgotten to address please let me know.

Ethereal-Star

Some crucial points about Morguen:

1. For one thing, she has to be employed by someone in the mortal world in order to act as their assassin. She cannot act on her own, so essentially she works for whoever hired her to kill. In this case, the unnamed NPC who wanted the thief dead for stealing a family heirloom from him (or her). Once she has accomplished the task set before her, her employment to that person officially ends.

2. Morguen's role is always about death and dealing it to those she is asked to target. Unless the employer calls her off from the job, she will get the deed done as quick and efficient as she is able to.

3. One of the most important things (it wouldn't make sense for this character if this wasn't addressed or simply glossed over) is that her weapon of choice is always fire. Anything to do with fire, whether magical fire power, fire explosives/bombs or a fire enchanted weapon, she will always be using fire to accomplish her job. Oh and when she does kill, there is nothing left of them except blackened ash (hence her namesake.) So there would be no body, just ashes left.

So essentially with all that said, Liri could come across the very end of the act right after Morguen made her exit, leaving the person in flames before they die. She would only witness the remains of Morguen's smoky escape (see profile) or she could possibly only see the ashes where the thief once was (your call.) After that, Liri would be in shock most likely as who wouldn't be, and wonder then what the heck happened. I am assuming she still has the item in question too and would probably be eager to get rid of it and fast considering it led to the death of its previous handler.

As for the locale of where to put the thread, Morguen can go anywhere as she is a flexible character in that regard. Since Liri is from Connlaoth, don't know if you plan on her still being there or not. Zantaric seems a good place for someone to call on Morguen's services, but to be honest I don't really see Liri going there unless by mistake. Zantaric is a very shady place and a criminal hideout for many dark/deadly types. I think this part will largely depend on what Ahnnie has to say regarding her character she brings in.

I think that's it for now. Hope this helps.

visualspice

I've only had the chance to brief over your characters profile, but she seems awesome! (And I'm a fan of Connlaothians, especially those that an add a lot of conflict to a story :D )
I do have a few characters that might be fun to toss at her, such as my most recently created character dubbed 'The Gambler!' (It was his idea, not mine, I swear XD ) He actually has an 'open by request' thread linked in his profile titled: 'One Lump, or two?'.

Though if a quirky promage adventurer is not in your tastes, I have two other, available more 'serious' characters, Leif and Draven. But I also have a um, pretty special character named Jack who also has an open by request thread titled: 'What Knight, through yonder window breaks?' (This is a potential thread restart)

I'll add links later when I'm not posting on my phone.

But to elaborate a little more, Leif is a mordecai, though he supports the mages (due to events surrounding his sister) but being the heir to a duchy, it'd nearly impossible for him to come forward with his support openly, so he dawns a mask and does good deeds in the night.

Draven is a character who might seem willing to help, but he has another agenda and will do anything in his power to accomplish that. He is somewhat cursed himself.

Jack is a knight by luck, since family connections helped get him a real job. Though he works to 'protect' antimage people's, he himself is a mage who isn't trying too hard to keep his secret of what he is.

And the gambler.... Best way to describe him would be to read his introductory post and/or profile. He wants to be a hero, gain fame like some other known vigilantes, but well... So far, no one's heard of him!
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ahnnie

This is all so awesome :D. I guess I'll choose Temujin then, since he needs more plots. I like to post every day and I'm mostly available to do so every day. Sometimes I'm off by a day or two but that would usually be due to RL circumstances. Otherwise I am totally available to post regularly, but if anything should detain me I'll give a heads up first. And spicy is coming into the mix X3. Ohmigosh, can't wait for this to start!

visualspice

I normally post daily because I'm not employed at the moment, but sometimes it takes me longer to reply than other days, simply cause I might actually have plans!  I also try to prioritize group threads so no one has to wait on me, unless I need to make a longer post and can't do that with my phone x.x.
But I am 'excite bikes' for this idea :D.

I can foresee a lot of drama!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

visualspice

Since I hopped on my computer- gonna post those links!

John Johnson- aka- "The Gambler" and his open by request thread (not sure if this can work for us, but it could work if you wish to use it!)
Thread: <a href="http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/smf/index.php?topic=17546.msg206126#msg206126">One Lump, or Two?</a>

Clayton Willison- prefers to be called 'Jack'-
And here's his open by requests thread, which again, if you feel might work, I wouldn't be opposed to us using this one (as a restart- so I'd repost it and go off of the first post I made, only might make it slightly tweaked, if necessary to fit this new scenario)
Thread: What Knight, Through Yonder Window Breaks?

And here are the other two suggested characters:
Prince Draven Flannchadh- prince from another time, looking for a cure for the curse on him and his family
Leif Arrant- aka- the 'masked mordecai' and heir of the duchy of Castavar

Also, I could possibly throw in my thief girl, Mae'leena Doh'vek- who, it would be humorous if she were to run into this group when she was pregnant with the bastard child of the Duke of Wulfbauer. (And she would not be pleased to be pregnant lol)

Since all of these characters are currently affected by the Connlaothian Civil War event, please note that it's timeline might affect this thread if I toss one (or two? lol) of these characters in.
That is, if you want! Totally up to you!

A map for the event (of all of the duchies and some landmarks) can be found here.

*included pics are avatars I made on my Character Catalogue Page ^-^

IcarusDescension

Well Spice, glad to have you on board as well! So, one thing I can say is that while I'm grateful that you have threads started which you would be willing to adapt to give a home to our story, immediately after my last post I started working on an introductory post to kick off the story, not knowing yet that you were interested. So for entirely selfish reasons (I was just so looking forward to posting it!) I would prefer to go ahead and start a unique thread for this story.

-But anyhow, as far as which characters I have to say I get a kick out of all of them. One question I have concerning Willison is that he appears occupied by a thread that is well underway. Are you thinking of playing him in both at the same time (would that work chronologically with the civil war thread underway as well?)

The idea of Leif kind of stood out to me just because of the intriguing rp opportunities that could provide. A girl who doesn't know her own magic and hates the church in the same thread as a Mordecai who she would have no way of knowing is actually subverting the church by night... Throw in a magical assassin fire-mage and a wandering warrior of the horse people and who knows where this could go!

Then there's the cursed Prince who can level an army but doesn't want to use his powers... Might be a bit of an overpowered character for this thread, but perhaps not since it's as much about mystery as action. Then there's Doh'Vek who sounds just so much fun to play off of as far as RP goes.

-Gosh I'm rambling aren't I? OK, if you have a preference would you rather play one of your more free-spirited humor-laden characters and delve into their serious side a bit more as the thread progresses, or would you rather start off with say Leif or Draven? You're clearly an experienced role-player so I'm sure we could have a wonderful story either way!

Star: Honestly I'm still intrigued to see how you plan to work Morguen into the story. In what I've got so far the original owner of the item is left undefined in order to add mystery, and I've added at least one group of NPCs who appear to be looking for the item and/or its last known owner, who for his part starts off the thread quite dead. So now that Morguen has done her job and punishment has been dolled out, what do you envision her role being? Of course we don't have to have all this spelled out in detail at this point anyway, I am primarily curious because it might have some bearing on what character Spice brings into the story.

The further I get in writing this reply in fact, the more I think it might be helpful if I got a thread up and running with what I have (I'm thinking in Connloath since Morguen, Liri, and Temujin all seem to be either wanderers or travel often and most of Spice's characters under consideration seem to be compatible with or already based in that local,) and then you can each jump in with a character as you get an idea of what would be most fun to play based on what we're starting with. Sound OK? If I get a positive reaction to that idea I'll go ahead and post it as soon as I get back from work this evening.

visualspice

That sounds good to me! I only posted those thread suggestions because they were still open and could work, if desired ^_^
but I understand what you mean >_>
And this plotting idea is your baby <3 So I'm excited to see what you've written!
Perhaps after you post it, I'll be able to decide which character (or characters, as if you don't mind.. I could toss in more than one!)
And since SotE runs in fluid time, characters can exist in more than one active thread, so long as you, the rper (or me, in this sense lol ) bare in mind that character's personal time line, all is good!

Ethereal-Star

Yay spice!

I forgot to mention that I can reply as often as I'm able to. If for some reason there is a delay, I will do what I can to give a heads up beforehand. Or if I am stuck on a reply, I'll also let you know.

With Morguen, yes her job would be finished after the task is complete. However that is not to say someone else won't hire her for another assassination task. Then back in she goes. Of course, if said target is someone's character, that would obviously require more thought as you know. She is able to be called off but she won't exactly be happy and she might give a warning not to call on her services ever again. Dum, dum dum!! But really she is a loyal type when it comes to her duties as a Fury. I plan to have at least one post with the aftermath/thoughts of hers after she is back in her home at The Black Tower. If she is not called upon again for work, I can most definitely bring in another of my characters as some of them need more love, hehe. With Morguen still in the background of sorts and can pull her back in if needed.

Which other character I would play too I think would entirely or mostly depend on how the thread progresses. So yes, post what you've got and we'll go from there. Sometimes I find it easier not to plan out every little cumbersome detail and just let some of it go where it wants, and trying to force ideas doesn't always work. And it stifles creativity, at least for me it kinda does. Besides since others' characters are involved and they know what's best for their character planning it out to a T wouldn't do anyway.

And that's all folks for this particular post!

visualspice

@Ethereal-Star - oh- she's out to assassinate someone eh? I think almost all of my offered characters for this thread could fit the bill >_>

Mae'leena, after all, is carrying the bastard child of a Duke (plus she already has other men out to kill her before this even occurred! She's a wanted criminal, after all!)

Leif- both his personalities have enemies, so there's that; and 'The Gambler'... he would probably cry tears of joy if someone actually knew him enough to want him dead!

Jack... depending on when this thread takes place, may or may not have a mark on his head, if only because he's very careless with his magic (ie- not being too careful to hide the fact he IS a mage, even if he doens't openly say it) it's probably his indifference that doens't have people questioning him- if anyone had a hunch.

Draven could have a bounty on his head, but he works like a shadow and is trying to keep himself more or less 'like a ghost'.

But this is just some food for thought!

Ethereal-Star

@visualspice Mae'leena could be a great target for Morguen. This could work since as you said she is a wanted criminal and if people are tired of relying on 'mortal' tactics to be rid of her-so they call on a Fury instead who would definitely get the job done. Loopholes are encouraged if you don't want her dead just yet or at all.

Leif could work and so could the Gambler but will check their profiles for more info to be sure.

I'm not sure about the other two though. I don't think a mage hater would call upon a magical character (Morguen) to do away with another magical character, y'know? Unless said employer is a hypocrite, mind you.  ;)

And being that Draven is pretty careful with his actions, I'm thinking that he may not be the best candidate for this. Someone would have to be onto him in order to know how he operates and then call upon my Fury character to take him out.

Thanks for the ideas! I'll think about them.

visualspice

I think to narrow it down, I'll take Draven out of the list of potentials, and maybe Jack, since I'm leaning/ more excited to look into developing more stuff with the rest.

Not sure on Leif, only because he's the only one out of the lot that's really entangled into the civil war so I'm not as flexible with his time line. But we'll see!

Ethereal-Star

I'll take a look first at Mae'leena's profile then The Gambler. But I think the first one could provide some interesting RP opportunities for Morguen...

visualspice

And for Mae'leena as well! I only recently thought of her because she and her grumpy duke 'companion' are kind of in a pretty heated argument, and it's not past her to just leave. So then she's open for more threads where back luck can befall her lol.

Ethereal-Star

Perhaps Kahna-mu and his men decided to invoke Morguen to kill Mae'leena? To get the ruby back? Sounds promising. You would have to tell me a bit more about Kahna-mu though, unless that is up for interpretation.

Not sure how this could relate to Icarus's initial thread idea. I was thinking the ruby could be the object being sought, but seeing as it's previous owner is very dead...

visualspice