Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Plotting Thread: Hide in the shadows, or bask in uncertainty.

Started by IcarusDescension, December 06, 2014, 10:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IcarusDescension

*Whew,* OK I spent way too long on that post sorry about that. (I thought I was done then I just kept going.) I didn't intend for it to be so long but I just couldn't stand to cut anything out so thanks for your patience in reading it. -Just to reassure everyone, my normal posts are not anywhere NEAR as long...

Our brand-new shiny IC thread can be found here. So when your character is ready to enter the story, go ahead and throw up a post!

To summarize where I left it there are a few fairly obvious mysteries for us to explore...
1) What is the object and why is it valuable?
2) Who does it really belong to?
3) Who murdered its previous possessor- Of course that one's pretty much been decided with Star's spiffy idea for Morguen's role as assassin. (Let me know if I was off in my characterization of those events by the way. I tried to assiduously avoid posting any actions for your character other than -indirectly- the assassination itself. Normally I wouldn't have even gone that far but I wanted to get the major plot points kicked off in one post. If I went too far or wrote something inconsistent with Morguen's character let me know and we'll fix it.)
4) Who is the rich, beak-nosed stranger inquiring after the object's previous owner and what does he want?
5) What fate is to befall poor Liri?

Please feel free to dive into (and hopefully expand upon) these mysteries - or come up with some new ones - as you start writing!

All I ask is that if you should bring any of these plot-points to a quick resolution that you raise another mystery or plot-device in its place. Otherwise we'll have trouble keeping the story interesting. Of course I'll be doing my best to make sure the story always has some good writing fodder for us as we go along.

Star & Spice: Great brainstorming going on there! Just try not to make any sub-plots too distant from the other characters please so that everyone can stay involved. I hope my initial post didn't squash any good ideas. I tried to leave it as open-ended as I could.

Let me know if I can answer any questions or provide any input!

IcarusDescension

(My official statement is that I channeled so much creative energy into the post itself I had no mana left for coming up with a good title... And I'm sticking to it...)   ;D

visualspice

You ain't kidding. It's long! I'll reply after I get a chance to read it. Right now I'm tossing and turning in bed since I'm not feeling so hot.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

IcarusDescension

-Oh, I almost forgot one more thing that was brought up.

Spice & Star, I believe you have both mentioned the idea at some point of bringing in more than one character. While I've never personally tried that before, it sounds like it could be a lot of fun for everyone assuming you are doing so with some considerations in mind. I can see that working wonderfully for example when:

1) You're using another player character for a supporting role rather than creating a new NPC. For example, Morguen's becoming involved at different parts of the story when summoned and fading out of the story when the job is done was one idea I remember being mentioned. That would be an excellent use as a supporting role. I could also see how more powerful characters moving chess pieces around the board 'behind the scenes' could in fact be a useful way to shake up the main characters and plot now and then providing we're not damaging the continuity of the story.

or 2) We have enough plot threads going on that your two characters can be actively involved in the foreground without running into a situation where you're basically bouncing posts back and forth with yourself.

Put more succinctly, as long as the presence of multiple characters isn't causing other players to feel 'left out' of the story, and you're not using multiple characters to more or less control the plot single-handed then I don't see why it wouldn't be a great way to add more fun RP to the thread.

As I've stated before I trust the judgement of everyone involved in this thread, so at this point I'll leave it to you to determine where those lines are drawn and not to cross them.

IcarusDescension

:( Sorry to hear you're not feeling well! Here's hoping you get better soon! Most importantly take care of yourself.

visualspice

No worries. I'm not even sure I'd bring in more than one character, but if I did, one probably would be my 'main' character of this particular thread. I might also post my ideas here first after I read the thread prior to jumping in.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

visualspice

I think I might have to toss in 'The Gambler' here, because well- for some comedic relief- (and I haven't had a chance to rp him yet!)
Expect a post today, though it might take me some time since I'm still unwell, but hey- a little illness never kept me from posts XD (heck, last year at this time I was still posting and I was in the hospital on several occasions >_> )

That being said, if I bring in Mae'leena to this mess (which still amuses me terribly) I might do so later on in the thread :)

IcarusDescension

Spice: Good thought on the comic relief, I sometimes forget how my writing tends to drift towards the dark/depressing side.

Everyone: Great posts! I love everyone's characters and am looking forward to the coming adventure!

-BTW, if I ever introduce any NPCs (Rich, the taverns occupants, etc) feel free to do with them as you wish. If I have a specific plan in mind for any of them I'll post it here to let everyone know.

Oh yes and one thing I realize is a downside of posting so late at night is I tend to forget things. As I was writing the starting post I began to explore Liri's character in my own mind and flesh out some things. I wasn't thinking about the fact that there might be other witnesses to the murder, and I forgot to explain these things aloud so I'll do so now.

Liri's magic would, by Spirit's of the Earth's magical system, be classified as a 'Glamour,' one which she is not consciously aware of or in control of.

Witnessing the murder, the shock of it rattled her subconscious in a way that caused her glamour to momentarily slip - this is why the man addressed her as 'maam' at first instead of 'sir' or 'boy.' So any third parties to the events in question would have seen something like this:

A furtive looking stranger slips out of the tavern and makes his way between buildings, apparently trying to avoid being seen.

Another young man follows him out the door a few moments later and begins searching for him without success, that is until the screaming is heard from the alley.

By this time the victim is mostly turned to ashes but the boy runs around the corner just in time to see the last of him turn to dust.

She backs up against the wall, clearly emotionally reeling from what she had seen, and for a moment seems to shift in appearance to that of a young woman of about the same age -dressed in the same clothing as they aren't a part of her glamour- with smooth features and darker blond hair, unusual gold-colored eyes and light skin.

Then a man who had come from further down the road, also drawn by the screaming, sees her and asks what is going on. At the interruption the girl shakes her head and shifts immediately back into the appearance of the similar-looking but not male youngster she had been before.

The man stops, not sure what he has just seen, and notices the smoldering pile of ash across from her. He seems uncertain how to react, and the young boy runs away -eventually stopping to calm himself and then making his way back to the inn.

-Now how clearly our 'Gambler' would have seen all of this from his vantage point is entirely up to you. Perhaps he was too far away to discern it, or perhaps not.

Anyway just clarifying that. Sorry I had not before.

IcarusDescension

I'll go ahead and post again tonight if I can, but first I'm curious what Star's entrance is going to look like. (Assuming you wish to jump in at this point Star, if not let me know.)

visualspice

Yeah, my character's vary and I figured the thread could use a more comedic character. He can have a serious side, be in serious scenarios, but he kind of goes out of his way to be how he is.

On another note, thanks for clarifying. I didn't realize that's what occured. If my character will react to it I'll add it into my next reply.

Ethereal-Star

Hi everyone, sorry this OOC post is a bit late. I read Icarus's first post on my phone but want to reread it to make sure I don't forget any important details. I have not read any future replies yet, but am going to do all this and respond once I finish typing this current post.

Morguen is of course, a background character, and my post with her is gonna be just that: from the background. Because of this I might bring in another character that would fit as a main character this time but as yet I don't know who that's gonna be. If so, that's it as more than 2 is overkill I think.

Anyway, enough rambling I need to do my part and respond!

Ethereal-Star

Muwahahaha! I have a posted! (In case you couldn't tell that was my evil laugh. *chuckles*) I hope I provided enough drama and suspense with it. As said it takes place 'behind the scenes.' So anyway, not sure when/if Morguen needs to make another appearance, we will see as the story goes on. If not, I can always add another character later on. So far it's kicking off to a great start!

IcarusDescension

*Loved* that post Star! Great description of the Black Tower, it was such a wonderfully creepy place to visit through Morguen's eyes! Not sure when she will be back, but if it takes too long I do hope you'll bring in another character, just to get to see more of your writing style.

Gosh I'm just going to love RP-ing with all of you!

-Say Star I had an ooc question for you. So I was reexamining the SofE magical structure yesterday for some character development of my own (as mentioned above,) and noted that Glamour actually only works on mortals. So is Morguen technically still a mortal since she became a Fury?

It's not relevant at the moment, but it could be if Morguen ever makes another appearance -since if she's not a mortal she would apparently be able to see Liri as she really is.

Just curious.

Ethereal-Star

No, Morguen ceased to be mortal since she became a Fury. So she would be able to see thru the glamour. Thanks for bringing that up by the way.

I'm glad you liked the post. Still thinking on what other character to add in, if needed.

visualspice

Hey, Icarus, since SotE has no rules on posting orders for group threads, (though it does say its up to those in the thread) Do you care when we reply and what order?

IcarusDescension

No I'm not picky about that at all, thanks for asking though!

visualspice

visualspice

I went ahead and posted next. Hope that post works! I couldn't help myself, the idea amused me greatly >_>

Ethereal-Star

Great post v-spice. The Gambler sounds like an amusing character. He wants to be a hero, yet there he is hiding in a haystack... The stuff heroes are made of, ahem...  ;D

Anyway, if Morguen does not need to make any more appearances, I suggest another character of mine, which I gave some thought today. How about Obsidian, my moon elf? Now, considering she is an elf and a mage to boot (a lunar mage specializing in moon magics), she would obviously have to be veery careful in Connloath especially with the civil war going about. I hesitated to bring her into the fray because of this but I don't really know of what other character I could bring in that would not be a background character (aside from Admar and Adelaide, who are also mages. I like mages, what can I say? Although Adelaide I am pretty sure she has enough threads going on at this time.)

IF I do bring in Obsidian, she would obviously have to blend in, as she is not the stupid type and she would be aware of the inner conflicts occurring. If she wore a commoner's outfit and a worn hooded cloak that might draw attention away from her being a mage and the fact that she is not human. Of course, still very risky and I would need to think up a good reason as to why she would be in Connloath and take that risk. She could also help with the discovery of who the murderer is and who these men are that are following Liri. I also really would like a chance to RP this character as I haven't any threads going for her.

So, what does everyone think?

visualspice

It would be funny if Morgeun were dragged back in somehow, unplanned- or by mistake XD
Not sure how or why >_>

I'd have to look at the other proposed characters before cashing in my thoughts but my brain is all <_>