Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Stroll Through the Forest (Vyraena)

Started by Wicked Basket, December 15, 2014, 08:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked Basket

Gen had always found the forest to be relaxing. While he would never be able to fully experience all of the sights that the forest had to offer, he relished the sounds even more. They were the sounds of life. The forest was full of all kinds of animals and insects living their lives completely unaffected by whatever chaos was being wrought by human society. Animals were not prejudice, nor did they complain. They simply lived. It was a pleasant thought being able to just live like that with no care in the world.

Taking a nice deep breath, Gen continued his relaxing stroll through the mighty forest. He had heard stories of all kinds of beasts, monsters, and bandits that patrol these woods, but they had never bothered him before. Besides, he was one of the greatest swordsmen ever known. What had he to fear anyway? All he need be concerned about was the fresh air and the soothing sounds of nature. What a beautiful day it was.

Vyraena

The party of bandits had never seen her coming. Even when she arrived, by the time most of them realized what was happening, it had been too late for them. She was quick and ruthless, her scythe moving with unimaginable speed for a weapon the size it was.

Kiri held the bandit captain up against one of the trees by his throat. He clutched at her hand, gasping for air. It brought a smile to her face. She had already slain the rest of his party, all four of them in a series of quick strikes. Within a few seconds, they had all fallen, their souls and very life being absorbed by the blade that killed them. There would be no bodies to tell the tale of their defeat. The only remnants of them in this world were the drops of blood they had left on Kiri's scythe.

As the bandit leader continued to gasp for air, Kiri grew bored of his suffering. She let go of his throat and swung her scythe all in one fluid motion, gutting the man from his navel to his chin. She laughed as his body faded from this world, devoured by the blade she had named Soulsong. She licked the blood from the blade. Human blood always tasted so sweet to her.

Immediately after she had finished, she began to hear footsteps in the distance... what seemed to be a singular person moving through the underbrush. She flew up to sit in one of the tree branches. Watching. Waiting.

Wicked Basket

As Gen continued on his journey of relaxation, he noticed something odd. The forest had went silent. He no longer heard the chirping of the birds or the sound of small animals scampering through the underbrush. Something was in the forest that shouldn't be there. Something so terrible that all of the animals fled the area or went into hiding.

Desiring to know what had disturbed the tranquility of the humble forest, Gen began extending his sight through the air. If there was something here he would find it. There. Atop one of the trees there was a figure. It was a woman with wings and a larger than could be practical scythe. She must be the one the forest creatures had feared.

"If you were planning on ambushing me then you're a bit too late," Gen called out without looking in her direction. "The forest has warned me of your presence."

Vyraena

"Ambush? Who said anything about an ambush? Can't I just sit up here and observe?" Kiri replied to the man. She was unsure how he saw her, considering she was perfectly silent and he had never even looked up. Determining it must be some form of magic, she sighed.

Kiri dropped down from the tree and landed in front of the newcomer, smiling. "I prefer not to ambush people. That takes away all of the fun. The look of terror on their face is part of what makes killing them so... entertaining."

Wicked Basket

"I see," Gen replied. "I would have never pinned killing as entertaining, but to each his own I suppose. Still, it must be pretty embarrassing to be found by a blind man."

Well, this was odd. Gen had no idea who this person was, but she was obviously not very friendly if she found killing to be fun. He would have to stay on his guard.

Vyraena

"For a blind man, you are quite skilled with perception, then." Kiri said to the man. She flipped her scythe upside down, as she was known to do, and placed the blade in the ground behind her. She then let go of the hilt and the scythe stood upright by itself.

"But I am sure that some form of magic is at work in that regard. Even for a man with sight, any average man would not have noticed me in that tree."

Wicked Basket

"Of course there's magic involved," Gen told her. "I can see using the air around me by detecting where the air is not. I can see what shape you leave in the air around you, which is how I know that you have wings, a tail, a scythe, you are a woman, and you are barely clothed."

Vyraena

"I wouldn't say barely clothed. I would say I'm as clothed as necessary, and no more." Kiri said to the man. "As for the wings and tail, I am a demon, after all."

Kiri's tail swung behind her, as if to prove that it was there, even though they were both well aware of it.

"I can't blame you if you've never heard of me, though. I'm afraid I'm not as known in these parts. Serendipity is more to my liking."

Wicked Basket

"A demon," Gen repeated. "I've heard of them but never actually met one. Though I guess that statement is no longer accurate. Serendipity is indeed a lovely place though. I've been there many times. Adela is not too bad either."

Vyraena

"It's not really the scenery I'm interested in, although I'm sure if I really stopped to look at it it would be nice. But enough of this small talk." Kiri reached back and grabbed the hilt of her scythe, swinging it so it was facing the correct way. "In the end, everyone dies the same."

Wicked Basket

"Actually, there are many different ways to die," Gen corrected her. "But you are correct in saying that it does happen to everyone."

Gen couldn't help but get the feeling that he was being threatened. Though he showed no outward signs, he was ready for anything. He could have his sword drawn and ready in the blink of an eye should this demon try anything. He may have never heard of her, but she had obviously never heard of him either.

Vyraena

One of the advantages of Kiri's scythe, Soulsong, was it's massive size. Due to that factor, she can be aggressive while staying out of range of most swords or other weapons. However, it does limit her mobility a little, but due to years of wielding it with expertise she was used to it and adjusted for it appropriately. She took both of these factors into account when fighting.

Kiri swung the blade at Gen, careful to keep her distance. She knew he could use magic from their conversation, but had no idea what else he had at his disposal. Regardless, the path it was taking now, the scythe would connect directly with his neck if he were to not block or dodge it.

Wicked Basket

Indeed it had been a threat. Gen remained calm as the massive blade came hurtle toward him. He would have no problem dodging it, but that would be no fun.

Before the blade made contact, Gen struck the side of the scythe. The blow knocked the scythe far enough upward for it to just barely miss his head. Immediately afterward, Gen unleashed a blast of air with the hopes of knocking his assailant backward.

"Is this really necessary," he asked calmly.

Vyraena

Kiri let her wings catch the air that had been sent at her, and instead of being sent flying backwards, she just floated back a few feet and landed perfectly on her feet. At his comment, she smirked. "Not many things are actually necessary, but we do them anyway."

Wicked Basket

"I suppose that is true," Gen replied. "But we could also not do them."

Vyraena

"Unfortunately, my blade hungers," Kiri offered as a reply. "Plus, killing people is just so... fun."

Wicked Basket

"You're not going to leave me much of a choice then are you," Gen told her gripping the handle of his sword. "You know, it's not too late to walk away."

Vyraena

"Heh. I don't walk away from fights, I win them." Kiri replied, readying her scythe to attack once more.

Wicked Basket

"You seem very confident," Gen observed. "I like that. Confidence is the first step to victory, but one must be careful not to be overconfident."

Gen drew his sword in one fluid motion and held it at the ready, its reflective blade gleaming despite not being directly exposed to the sun.

"Your move."

Vyraena

Kiri swung Soulsong again, this time aiming directly at Gen's abdominal region. The scythe seemed to sing as it swung through the air, or rather wail, the sound of the souls it had collected echoing through the forest.