Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Beast of the Tundra Plotting Thread

Started by Ethereal-Star, December 29, 2014, 09:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAndar

You know, it's starting to become increasingly difficult to see why Erathgar would wish to join this group. He had plenty of misgivings to begin with. This current business isn't really acting as a catalyst  to make it more appealing for him! :P

IcarusDescension

Slithix abstains I see, so with no further input I'll assume all things mage related are open to creative license. Within of course any guidelines or ideas you set forth Star. Let me know if you if wish to point this in any specific direction. Thanks.

The way things are going in the bar somehow I don't see everyone making a happy group exit in particularly near future, so I'll see about getting poor Aguta out of his mess...

Ethereal-Star

To be honest, I was just rolling with how everything was churning out in the thread and had no intentions to make it seem Conan-like, which I admit I have little familiarity with. And yes, the mage and beast ideas other than what has already been mentioned, are open for interpretation and fleshing out as we go. The only things to keep in mind are the following: that the mage is some kind of evil wizard/magic-user type with powers over controlling beasts and the weather, and from what Icarus has typed up, he also seems to be a bit (or a lot!) of a necromancer or at least a necrophiliac with the stench of all the dead bodies Aguta has yet to see but is undoubtedly there.

Perhaps he even has blood magic at his disposal and that's what he needs the bodies for, for some dark ritual. Further ideas on this feel free to go wild with. And I also don't think a final confrontation should occur just yet with the dark mage, but it might be interesting if Aguta had a dangerous run-in with him before finding a way out. Any finales should definitely be a group scene. Perhaps dark mage is killed, the beast is freed from his clutches or is also killed? Don't know exactly, but again part of role-playing is to kinda just roll with it and see how everything goes so everyone has a chance to add what they want to see happen.

Also, forgot to add the beast is indeed a polar bear with a supernatural sickness affecting his mind (aka the work of said mage) and as such it pretty much controls his reckless behaviors as he lashes out in confusion and protest, as well as bloodlust and rage. The arcane symbols the mage is drawing upon could include the runes for that, bloodlust, rage and domination.

One more thing concerning my character. While she may have a 'don't care' attitude a lot, there is at least one other reason besides what's already been said before as to why she travels the tundra. Simply put she loves adventure, so the thrill of something of this nature would be enough enticement for her to help, but in her own way. News about the evil mage would most likely peak her interest as well, because while she has met some mages in her life, she wouldn't mind meeting more, even though said mage would be just as likely to attack her as he would any of the others. She would be wary of course, but still intrigued. And she might say something about offering magical back-up because the party would have just about everything else: brawn, hunting, tracking, assassination/rogue skills and general weapons expertise--but with Adelaide they would also have ice magic to add to the pool of talents. And going up against another mage, that would be pretty useful. Her intentions are far from being altruistic though. If I had to tack on a D&D alignment for her, she would definitely be True Neutral no doubt. In it for herself and her own goals but not above helping others to some extent if she sees a use for it. But she wouldn't kill anyone in cold blood. She's not evil, just very detached and minds her own business kind of thing.

Anyway, I hope I've explained some more things here. If not, let me know and I'll see what else I can add.

IcarusDescension

Yeah the Conan parallels where present were an accident on my part as well. Been many years since I've seen that movie and I can't say that it was every really my favorite but I don't hate the similarities in of themselves either. I guess when I'm writing evil mages I tend to dip into the stereotypes without realizing it.

I tried to break away from that a bit in my last post. Hopefully I didn't get too far-fetched either. I'll let you all be the judge of that. Thanks for going into what drives Adelaide a bit. I'm glad to know she does have some personality 'hooks' that we can use to draw her into things -when we get there.

Oh and sorry to everyone for the length of my last post. I thought about breaking it up into several smaller ones but then decided there would be no point. Besides which I kinda wanted to get poor Aguta headed back in the direction of Fox Bend.

Ethereal-Star

That was a great post Icarus! I love it! My only real question (and concern) is what happened to poor Sol? Is he gone for good or just simply has to take time to reform considering he's a spirit and not an actual wolf? I think the last one would make sense plus I think it would be sad if he met his end that way. :( I actually hadn't thought about the mage being female-but that's perfectly okay!! Nice twist of the story.

And yes, Adelaide has some personality 'hooks' as she isn't completely stone-cold. Hmm..something just occurred to me, Adelaide with ice magic and bag of bones lady with fire magic....I can envision a battle of ice vs. fire at some point but Adelaide would obviously not be alone--if she was, she would probably not survive, considering the other mage is WAY more powerful than she is. After all, evil mage's got fire magic, blood magic, beast magic, weather magic, geez what else?  :P Necromantic magic too? Ahem, anyway, I think that's all I got to say for now. Plus it would be interesting for Aguta to recognize Adelaide from Hyoite too.

IcarusDescension

Thanks so much for saying! I was worried I might have gone over the top with the mage so I'm really glad you liked it. I was hoping to set up sort of an ice vs fire thing with her and Adelaide so I'm glad you like that idea too.

As for poor Sol he is already a spirit and thus can't really die twice (or perhaps I mean to say it's hard to get more-dead than he already is,) but I was also trying to figure out some sort of 'penalty' more or less for Aguta losing him. Even if that only turns out to be a significant delay before Sol returns. If I think up something better I'll go with that instead.

Technically I had intended Aguta (as far as a character concept) to be able to give form to other spirits he might come across, but I never got around to writing in others besides the wolf and actually I like Sol too much to let him go permanently I think. Perhaps they'll come across other spirits any way in the natural course of the story but if they don't that's fine too. (Someday I'll have to work out what causes some spirits like Sol to linger and not others as that would seem relevant.)

DarkAndar

Oh I adore the Conan movies. But it's no blatant rip off we're writing. There are only slight similarities at best. Nice touch with the cavern mage scene too by the way. Not sure what's going on in the tavern. Everyone seemed to want a brawl and well.....they may just get one. A shame too, Erathgar had been trying so very hard to behave. We'll just have to wait and see how it goes eh?  ;D

IcarusDescension

Well you can't go wrong with a good brawl!  ;)

Besides if everyone gets along from the start the story seems too easy...

(That's right I forgot, they did make more than one Conan didn't they? I can't remember beyond the first one...)

Ethereal-Star

I figured Sol couldn't really die since he's already technically 'dead'. I think the penalty for losing Sol should include, along with the delay a weakening of Aguta's spirit communication abilities as well. But only until Sol returns, then they would be back to normal. But that is totally up to you! Thought I'd toss in a helpful idea or two.

Loved the cave mage scene, it was awesome. I wonder what that glass ball is he's got now (I'm assuming its still in his pocket unless he dropped it while trying to flee?) No need to divulge the secrets of the glass ball unless you feel we need to know right now. Just merely stating my curiosity.

But yeah, the tavern brawl was bound to happen, I think.

IcarusDescension

Thanks again! I think I'll use that tidbit about Aguta's spirit abilities being harmed temporarily with Sol's death -makes the 'penalty' a little steeper as it were.

*cough* Oh yeah and about that whole glass ball thing... *sheepish grin* I was actually kinda planning to pass that particular question off to you - in form of Aguta going looking for Adelaide in hopes that as a mage she might be able to tell him what it was. In that way I could also use the strange object to bring the characters together.

But if you don't want to do that we can go a different direction. Totally up to you. I don't know how you feel about me just dumping randomly created plot elements on you...

IcarusDescension

Oh yeah no pressure but just out of curiosity did you come up with any details concerning the culture of Fox Bend?

Slithix

There's a plotting page and nobody told me hahaha, man am I stupid. But yeah Icarus, about that evil mage and my character's past. She could be one of the people who put my character under tests. And she could of been the one who escaped Slithix' savagery of those who aided him. And I was kind of eluding that the beast was also someone who took part in the enhancement project/testing willingly or not.

Ethereal-Star

That's fine Icarus! I'll come up with something regarding the magical glass ball. *rubs hands together excitedly* Anyway, so I don't mind at all. It makes sense that Adelaide may know something about it, its basic function and whatnot but any other details may be kind of fuzzy for her. After all she is nowhere near as experienced as the evil redhead nor does she wield all the types of magic the evil mage does either. So some things will be just as unclear to her as the others, but she will be able to decipher a LITTLE of what its purpose is.

Andddd...unfortunately, no, about Fox Bend's culture. I haven't actually really gotten any inspiring ideas about that. For now, let's just say they are fox shifters of the arctic variety, with white fur and black or orange eyes in fox form, but their human forms will vary in appearances. They worship a fox god or simply 'fox spirit' take your pick I don't really know. Since you eluded to the Great Fox Spirit in one of your posts, we'll go with that. That Fox is a spirit totem for them.

It would make sense that as a spiritual focus, they would honor the fox in both their dress and accessories they carry, like bags, jewelry, etc. Perhaps even the beds at the inn have a fox head picture engraved on the headboard... As well as various paintings of foxes and stuff on the walls.

Other than that, when in fox form they would become more like a fox spirit, that is, sly and cunning as well as some trickery. But that's not to say ALL inhabitants follow that to a 'T' though. The majority of them probably just recognize those traits and respect them while some may try to embody them literally. And that's all I got really. Hope that helps.

DarkAndar

Um. Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on at the moment? (Is confused by all this strange mysterious whatever it is as he waits for Chocbread to post).

Ethereal-Star

Slithix did some kind of mumbo jumbo thing with the candle (I'm not entirely sure either) and was pressing Adelaide for answers which she is very thoroughly annoyed about as expressed in my last two posts.

As I see it, the fight would have stopped with the lights going out as Ilvenath and Erathgar also wonder what is going on. Or perhaps they start right back up again, who knows? Hopefully, Slithix can shed some light on this subject, no pun intended.  :P

Also, based on the description of the glass ball Icarus gave, I know what it is now. But shhh! No revealing it yet! It makes sense though what I have in mind. Hopefully, I will get the chance to explain it soon, or rather my character will.

Slithix

I was just hoping to get more involved in the plot rather than just floating around the inn. But my character is quite bipolar in his ways and is quite spontaneous in his actions. Even I'm not sure what's going on!

Ethereal-Star

I'm curious as to what Ilvenath and Erathgar are doing now. Did they stop their fighting? Start up again? Trade words of warning? Something else?

Also what is Slithix doing now? I assume the conversation between Aguta and Adelaide caught his attention? Correct me if I'm wrong here and feel free to chime in with more posts on this plotting thread and the actual story thread itself.

Just seemed like posts from the other players reached a standstill.

DarkAndar

Howdy.

Ilvenath never posted so that whole scene was cut to a halt between he and Erathgar. If I have to wait much longer I think I'm just going to abandon this. Either that or we work in our own conclusion for what happened and move on from there. The nomad could sensibly join Adelaide and Aguta on their crystal ball quest. Up to you guys. So many breaks in the action tend to take my mind away from what's going on.

Don't know what Slithix is doing.

IcarusDescension

On a personal note, I understand your frustration. I'm the same way, when people stop posting for a few days it can really break my mental state and make it harder for me to get back into the scene again. Please don't throw in the towel though, personally I'd really like to see more of your character.

Perhaps ChocBread has fallen ill with the same cursed thing that had me in bed for a solid week, or real life has otherwise befallen him. He's been really consistent with his posts up till now. Hopefully he'll hop back in soon.

DarkAndar

Thanks man!

I lose that elusive thread or groove of what I was doing and then have to sort of rekindle it again. That's true, ChocBread was pretty active for a while. I'll give it some more time.