Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

How Far The Ivy Grows [M]

Started by visualspice, January 10, 2015, 07:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Was it foolish to think the long road back to Wulfbauer held anymore promise than the blades that made her bleed? Was it foolish to think mercy could be anywhere, even with him? She had barely known him, but in the short time they shared, she had been unable to shake off his memory- and the fact she now carried his baby in her arms didn't help matters, either.

So it was with hesitation she remained, cloak hanging loosely around both her and her babe as she peered out into the misting rain and down at the tomb stone that glittered in the fading like of a dying sun. Hilda. She never had a proper chance to thank the woman, a woman who Mae'leena's very existence had caused her her life. Never mind the betrayal met for Erwin, perhaps if she had never been involved...

A cold wind blew by, causing her to cradle her arms tighter around her child. But even with the gesture, and the wind cutting through the cloak, the baby remained asleep.

Thinking back to that fateful night... she had to wonder... if she hadn't... if she held her tongue...
Would Erwin be dead?
She knew the Duke was very much alive, and for that she was thankful for. But what would her presence do for him? She had hoped he'd be able to offer sanctuary, if not for her, at least for their child. Though the baby would be a bastard, she could only pray he wasn't heartless and even if he could not keep it, he could at least give it to someone to keep it safe. Heaven's new she wasn't doing so hot of a job.

Despite the rain, blood still stained her garb and the fresh wound on her side radiated through her like a spire of spitting acid. It fucking hurt, but at least the blade had cut her. Centimeters closer and she could have lost her child. And she wouldn't know what would become of her if she did. Shifting the weight of the child,s he felt the wound's scab break again and cursed through her teeth.

Even if the Duke couldn't offer her sanctuary, or protection, or anything- she at least needed a place to god damn rest. This wound would never heal with her moving as much as she had. But had she lingered....
That was another thought she'd rather not digest.
It was hard enough fending of men that wanted her dead because of her reputation, but she feared these men well...
They wanted her dead for something more.

CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

It had been on a night like this that his dear Hilda had died, doing what she'd done all her life: protecting him. It had been windy and rainy that night too, or perhaps snowing. He couldn't recall, that whole saga was but a blur to Erwin. All he knew was that he was still alive this night because she wasn't. And that broke his heart. More so than when his father had so suddenly passed away mere months after assuming the Dukeship.

His strong black horse carried him through the streets of Wulfbauer toward the cemetery where Hilda was buried. He'd had her buried in this cemetery, reserved for only the noblest of Wulfbauer's citizens. He knew that she would have wanted to be close to his family, given all her years of service. It was the least Erwin could do for her: to be laid to rest just outside the mausoleum where every Duke of Wulfbauer lay.

He'd specifically told his personal guard to stay some ways back from him as he dismounted his horse just outside the cemetery gates. They all understood, as they always had. This was his private moment with Hilda.

The rain dripped down his soaking grey hair and down his temples. Wiping at his eyes with the back of a doeskin glove, he tugged his cloak tighter around his body and made his way through the darkness toward the familiar gravestone, looking forward to the quiet moment of contemplation he'd have.

Only he wasn't the only one there. He stopped some paces away from the grave as a figure stood over Hilda's tombstone, with its back to him. A slight from crossed his face as he tried to figure out why someone would be there, looking down at Hilda's rest. Warily, a hand slid to his side as he called out, "Who goes there?"

visualspice

Mae'leena froze, the voice sending a chill down her spine. She could of cursed, perhaps she did, but in the moment, she felt compromised and before she had a chance to even respond, the child in her arms began to wake up, coughing slightly before beginning to wail.

Cringing, Mae'leena turned away from the duke, still keeping her back to him as she tried to coo to get the baby to stop crying but- well...

It seemed the young child would have nothing of it!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Erwin's eyes narrowed slightly when the figure ignored his question and instead kept her back to him. That really irked him! "Do not turn your back to me," he commanded sternly, blinking away more of the rainwater that dripped down his face. If someone was coming to Hilda's grave, he would know their identity.

That next small noise stopped him in his tracks though. It sounded like... crying. It was hard to tell, because the figure's cloak muffled it, and the downpour splashing against the tombstones around them sounded like a cacophonous orchestra piece. But the more he listened, the more it sounded like... a child.

"Is that a child? For Ansgar's sake, what are you doing out in the rain with a child?" Erwin demanded, his frown deepening.

visualspice

In that moment, as the rain came pouring down and Erwin, pulling that commanding Duke voice of his on her, made her blood boil. She grit her teeth, holding her child tight.
"I can turn my back on whoever the fuck I want." And she held her daughter tighter, pausing before answering him, "And the rain is the only safe place we've got." And at such a revelation, her form drooped.

Cambie

The sound of her voice might as well have been lightning striking him through this rainstorm, for that was how stunned he was when he heard it. That foreign twang to it, the attitude...

But something was different about it. It almost sounded like she was despondent and defeated. Impossible, from what he knew of her. Or thought to know of her. He didn't know a damn thing.

Erwin was almost certain it was her, but her back was still turned and she still had her hood up. That didn't stop him from taking a step forward and cautiously asking, "...Mae'leena?"

visualspice

Mae'leena stiffened at the recognition. He was probably about as surprised as she was that she'd care to ever set foot near here. But the truth of the matter was... despite all they've been through, and what she'd done to him- and he to her...
She never hated the man and a small part of her...
Well, trusted him above most else. And as she grit her teeth, trying to figure out the right words to his statement, she chose to say nothing as she turned around, the child in her arms struggling as fat drops of rain soaked them both, despite the cloak that was already wet through.

Cambie

The moment she turned around, Erwin knew it was her. She looked the same as she had the last time they'd been together, at some inn in some town or another. Everything about her brought back flashes of memories. Her hair, the shape of her face, her eyes.

This time it was different though, as his eyes fell to the small bundle in her arms, a bundle that was starting to get soaked through from the torrential downpour. And then the bundle began to softly cry again.

"By Ansgar, what are you doing back here?" was all the Duke could muster.

And why did she have a child with her?

visualspice

"This wasn't the plan."
Any of it, really.
"I should have been gone and far south by now."
But she was making up excuses.
"But things... Kept me from ever getting anywhere." And she shuffled the baby anxiously in her arms.
"Can we talk inside? Its so fucking wet and cold out here." She said, trying to repress a shiver as she held her fussing baby close.

Cambie

Erwin gave her a pointed look and replied, "The war and the winter, no doubt. Two things I'm sure I spoke of many times." He was about to continue, when he caught that look in her eye. Something about it told him that now wasn't the time for I-told-you-so's, for she was shivering and dejected-looking -- and had that crying babe in her arms.

With a frown, he reached out and gently took her by the arm, pulling her toward the giant looming mausoleum in the center of the cemetery. It was a grand looking building, closer to a cathedral given its sheer size and decor. It was where every Duke of Wulfbauer had been interred upon death, including Erwin's father.

Two honor guard stood silently in the rain, alert and vigilant. They gave the Duke a quick salute before opening the heavy oak doors for them to escape to the torchlit interior.

"Why are you back here?" he immediately asked once they were safely indoors. "And whose child is this?"

visualspice

A mausoleum wasn't exactly the place she had in mind, but anything was better than nothing to get out of this weather. She made no real comments about the weather, but once they were inside and the question was asked, she peered up at him, not sure what to say, but appearing so guilt ridden that she almost looked different under the expression.

With no one around to hear, or so she hoped, she shifted the weight of the baby in her arms and kept her eyes glued to Erwin.

"She's yours."

Cambie

Erwin was in the midst of wiping rain from his brow when that news hit him like a bag of hammers. He sputtered for a second, fighting to maintain his composure as he stared at her --or through her. What kind of game was this she was trying to play, sneaking her way back into his duchy with a child? No doubt it was some sort of trick.

"She is not," he challenged, but something in her eyes made a knot form in his stomach. Slowly his eyes drifted down to the baby who had stopped crying by now. For a brief moment, he and the child met eye contact and peered at each other, both probably more inquisitive than anything else.

"What kind of game are you trying to play here, Mae'leena? I am in no mood for it,"
he added, looking back up at her.

visualspice

"Fuck you. It isn't some game, Erwin," she nearly spat. "You think I wanted some child and to be running around all of Connlaoth pregnant? And yes she's yours. I haven't bedded anyone else but you."
And at the end of her little rant, her lips quivered, and her eyes began to burn.

Cambie

Erwin's face wrinkled into a slight scowl as he peered back down the the baby again. Good thing she didn't understand anything that was being said. Innocence was precious these days.

The baby had the same color eyes as him. Did that mean it was his? He frowned again.

"What about your friend Jarrod? It's more likely his than mine."

visualspice

Mae'leena jerked back defensively.
"Fuck you! You think I'd fool around with that asshole? Besides, when we did have our fun, that was years ago." And she frowned as her child began to fuss and she went back to bouncing her lightly, trying to get her to calm down.

"Look.. I didn't come here for an argument," she told him, eyes looking up at him. "If I had any other choice, believe me I'd take it. But..." She sighed, the baby crying again.
"She's not safe with me. And I had no idea who else to turn to..."

Cambie

"'Not safe' is an understatement," Erwin replied with some exasperation, peering directly down at her. She should have known her maverick life would have led to today's results. Even he'd had a taste of her wild persona before, and it had taken so much out of him, both physically and mentally.

"How could you possibly not have anywhere else to go? You made it very clear that Wulfbauer was the last place you wanted to be. And bringing this child with you, who you say is mine. And-"

The flicker of torchlight illuminated, for the briefest moment, a darkly stained patch on her clothing and his shoulders dropped slightly. His face was still hard and stony -- but it softened just a bit as he exhaled and said softly, "You're bleeding. By Ansgar, what happened with you?"

visualspice

At his question of why here? her face wrinkled angrily.
"I never had anyplace to go," she huffed, but being angry took a lot out o fher as she peered down at her child. Then at her wound.

"You know, the usual. People trying to kill me, and some of them... I'm not wholly sure why.... but there is a war going on in your country," she pointed out, but then looked up at him, still trembling slightly beneath his gaze. "It seems no matter who or what you are, war is still war, and people just want people dead."

Cambie

"If it wasn't a war then, it certainly is a war now. You came back at a very inconvenient time," he said quietly under his breath as knelt to examine her wound. She likely sustained it some time ago, meaning that any longer and it could get infected. And despite how much it still irked him to find her back in Wulfbauer, he supposed he could not let her succumb to the elements with a child in tow.

It would be temporary, he assured himself. Just long enough for her to recover and be on her way, with this child of hers. Because by Ansgar's good grace, this was no child of his.

Was it?

visualspice

Mae'leena cut him a look.
"Inconvenient? You're not the one who had to deal with hell for the last nine months. What do you know about inconvenient!?"

Cambie

"Inconvenient for you, I meant," Erwin replied curtly, still poking around the wound in her side. He made sure his hand did not stray too close to the babe, as though physical contact would confirm him the father. "Inconvenient to come back when a war is in full swing. A real war, bloody and unforgiving."

He scowled deeply to himself, fighting the urge to retort any further. For though he didn't say it, her presence really was an inconvenience to him. He had a duchy to run, and that job had become more difficult by tenfold ever since Constance Carwick made a sudden unexpected reappearance in Wulfbauer. His army and support had been withdrawn from the Grand Duke too, and tensions could not be any higher.

Not to mention he still remembered the last time she was around, and the very thought of her antics made Erwin grimace. If that wasn't the perfect definition of inconvenient, then he didn't know it.