Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Play for me, your mandoleeen!

Started by Lion, January 27, 2015, 01:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Sure he was familiar with Ketra.  Sure he never really frequented it that often, but he knew the city.  No self-professed Adelan couldn't know Ketra, right?  Right!  It was a matter of national pride, the very capital of their homeland!  It was like loving chocolate, and not knowing how it was made.  Except for a few minor points.  Taladan loved chocolate, and was quite content with not knowing how it was made, and didn't consider himself particularly nationalistic.  So the thought of wandering through Ketra was vaguely daunting since he hadn't found himself there in nearly an entire year.

But for this gig, he would gladly make the venture!  Life as a bard wasn't as glamorous as most made it out to be.  It was often a thankless occupation, rife with dangers when traveling from one village to the next, playing sets in small taverns where most of the patrons never really paid attention to you.  You had to have something special, something that made you pop to capture the attention of anyone worthwhile.  And even then the only real stability offered in being a bard was if you played in a noble's court or household.

That wasn't the life for Taladan however.  He'd take the thrill of the road over being tied down in a court position any day.  And this night, the road led him to Ketra, and more specifically to the house of a noble entertaining for the evening.  Oh of course he recalled his reserves at playing in court, but this was only for one night and he'd been contacted personally by a messenger that tracked him down.

The problem was...he didn't exactly know where the noble's household was.  Only that he was to play at the personal summer home of a Lady Dhamfir, or was it Lord Dhamfir.  One or the other.  It was immaterial to him so long as he got paid.

Taladan Ewing walked into the first building he found on the street he was on and he recalled the familiar red inviting sign of the Randy Peach.  "Oh, we meet again," he said with an amused grin.  But at least this time, he had no intention of hanging around.  Nope.  He'd just ask for some directions and maybe toss a coin or two in return and be on his way.

He walked into the main room of the establishment and eyed a few of the lovely specimens hanging on the arms of their callers.  Oh they were beautiful surely!  But this was a business trip, he reminded himself.  And he was trying to make money, not spend it all on one night, even if it was guaranteed to be memorable.

"Ah, excuse me!  I'd be most grateful if someone could point me in the right direction," he called out.

"Oh, ya gotta do is aim ya pecker and push on forward, love.  Every man knows that!" called a woman in the back, laughing by the bar and a few other patrons joined in with her.

"Hardy har!" Taladan said, smiling in good humor.  "I'm afraid all I need are directions to the home of a Lord Dhamfir!  I'll gladly pay."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown