Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Tree of Stars

Started by visualspice, April 11, 2015, 04:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: This thread continues after this one found here!
And tags to @Lion !

Ahead of them twinkled the guiding star, pulsating brightly, even against the bright, new moon. It had been many weeks they have traveled this way, tired and exhausted, ever wary someone might be following. But as the trail continued to lead them through the denser part of the forest, they had lower visibly of that star until the sounds of water drew them onward and soon the trio was taking rest alongside a large stream.

They drank and ate fish that morning, using the morning as a time to rest. But on this day, Su-lahna felt particularly uneasy, and while her companions both seemed to have fallen asleep, she still remained awake, back pressed against a large oak tree while she peered up at the fading stars.

The guiding star still remained bright as always, despite the sun conquering the rest. And she trusted that star, as she did with all stars. But she could not help but feel anxious, and to wonder how much longer it would be until tree was found. The constellation that marked they were near had yet to show itself, and she had to wonder just how far south they had come from their home. She also wondered what would be left of it. She knew they would pass it on their way to the tree. Would anyone have returned? Would she even recognize it?

And would they even make it? So far, they've traveled without conflict of any kind. And though it was nice, it felt as if she was waiting for a serpent to strike, one who just remained on his belly, unmoving but keeping his eyes just on her.

The Sanctuary... she had to remind herself. It would reveal itself soon. She just knew it. She just had to keep her faith. And before closing her eyes, silently, she prayed.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Oberin hadn't slept much on their journey.  And the closer they got to the Tree of their people, the less he could.  He didn't need it, he told himself.  Once they achieved their destination, he wouldn't need to sleep for a hundred years...  He looked out toward Diasus.  He would do.  Though Su-lahna had been the initial one he'd chosen.  Perhaps Diasus would be better; he didn't have to worry about any lost feelings on his part.

And afterward it would be one less person to feed and watch out for. 

He watched Su-lahna out, looking up at the sky.  There really was a beautiful sky out tonight, and the stars glittered, a roadmap to the heavens, and for a moment he wished that he believed as Su-lahna did.  He stepped nearer to her, standing beside a tree just off to her right.

"What do you see?" he asked.  "I never paid much attention to my father's studies."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Oberin's voice broke any concentration she had as she opened her eyes. And she hated to admit, but she felt so defeated. SO far, her prayers had gone unanswered, and so she remained quiet for a time before she patted the grasses beside her.

"Sit, and I shall tell you."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

He preferred to stand, but made no fuss about it.  He did as she instructed him and pulled his knees up to his chest.  Well, they didn't quite fit and he wrapped his arms around them anyway, locking his hands together and letting his knees hang loosely in his elbows.

"I am listening," he said with a nod, eyes up to the stars.  They all just glittered above them, those spirits of early Twiliths, mocking them below.  Would it be better not to die? he wondered.  Was it worth coming this far?  To join those up in the stars....to some kind of glory.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

"The stars have been changing," she began. "And their voice is slow. But any movement, any sign is good," she assured him. "See that star?" she pointed to one really bright one above the moon. "And see the one beside that? That star was not there yesterday. So it is there I am focusing my prayers and hope it will reveal us the way soon."

Lion

"The Finding Star.  Or so my father called it.  Is that the one you speak of?" Oberin asked with interest.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Su-lahna gave a nod.
"Yes. Though not easy to see, through prayer, it reveals itself and the path opened. But only to those who are patient. And to those whose prayers are the most sincere."

Lion

"I'm afraid my prayers may not be so heartfelt," he said with an awkward sigh.  He kept his eyes to the sky.  "Too much has happened for me to believe without question..."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

It was only then did Su-lahna stop her own prayers and her gaze turned to Oberin with worried curiosity.

Lion

"My father was a priest.  I was raised on it.  But life is too cruel for our kind...  What has our Goddess done for our people?" he murmured.  "I couldn't help but feel lost.  I still do, sometimes."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"I know you feel wronged. But please, to become so hateful is equally wrong. What good has your faithless ness got you? Just please... Be patient. The goddess always listens."

Lion

Anger stirred at that remark and it took everything to hold his temper.  "You're listening then.  What does she say?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"I listen but she does not speak," she shot back. "Your negative energies must be keeping her voice at bay."

Lion

"Shall I go then?" he asked quietly.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Though angered at him, such a suggestion made her cool.
"I don't know."
She sighed and looked at the stars again.
"This journey... it was not meant to be done alone."

Lion

"Then show me how to remain calm," he said and held his hands out to her.  "Show me how to pray."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

She looked out to his hands, then down to the dirt as she shook her head.
"It is not that easy." Frowning, she looked up into his eyes. "I can sense it, see it in your eyes." She moved a hand to tuck a loose strand of his dark hair away from his face. "Prayers are for those who believe." She rested a hand to his chest. "Who can feel the strength of their faith drive the beats of their heart."

Lion

"Then teach me...is that not what you do?  Inspire others to believe?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

It was then her hands slipped away from his.
"Yes.. that is the way of things," she said quietly. She lifted her gaze again, studying him.
"But speaking and teaching are still very different from the true feeling of belief."

Lion

"Then you have no faith in me," he said after a moment.  He bowed his head, sorrowful.  "I am sorry to have wasted your time."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn