Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The dark fortress (Open by request)

Started by Arthuriel, April 20, 2015, 01:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireIceDragon

Cia's stomach churned when the man laughed; the sound was almost revolting. However, she quickly regained her composure and sighed. In the end, finding her brother was more important than staying loyal to a client she'd only seen once.

"I'll do it," she said finally. Her eyes locked onto his, despite her unexplainable fear of him. "But I better find my brother."

Arthuriel

"I am a man of my word, but you, my dear," He said those last words like a predator may have said to its prey, "You hunt and kill for money, bring me your employers first."

SapphireIceDragon

"Alright," Cia said, her voice lacking any emotion. It took all of her inner strength not to kill the man right there. For she knew who her client was. The last thing she wanted was to kill them. "The person who hired me lives in a village near the forest. It may take me all day to get back there." Could she stall somehow? Run away when he turned his back? It was a cowardly thing to do, but the alternative made her mind spin.

Arthuriel

You ssshall not ssslllaay my servant. A hissing voice whispered in Cia's mind as Arthuriel returned to the throne.

"I can summon a Nightmare from the lowest planes, it shall make your trip incredibly faster." He said, the black glove on his left hand beginning to glow red as he started drawing hellish runes in the air.

SapphireIceDragon

Cia flinched at the voice that entered her mind. What was that? She wondered. Swallowing nervously, she tried to mask her surprise and confusion. She turned back to Arthuriel.

"A...Nightmare?" She asked. From the few books she'd read, the only Nightmare she had heard of was a dark, horse-like creature. She didn't know they could be summoned at will.

Arthuriel

Arthuriel stood from the bone throne, still drawing those hellish runes. With one fluid motion, he surrounded them in a circle and spoke a word of power. The circle exploded into flames then a large beast walked through. It had onyx skin and red eyes, it snorted fire as it strolled angrily from the portal. Small patches of flame were left in its wake like footprints as it walked. It's eyes narrowed as it saw who had summoned it, and it was clear that it was an intelligent beast, perhaps even sentient.

"A Nightmare," Arthuriel said simply.

Bring the woman here.... to me. That same voice hissed in Cia's mind, it seemed to come from all around her, from the very stones of the fortress.

SapphireIceDragon

Cia's breath caught in her throat when she heard the voice again. What is that thing?Her heart jolted when she laid eyes on the creature, its bones and muscles visible underneath its skin. Nevertheless, she had to be brave. There was no point in shivering before the beast. She'd eventually have to ride. Her legs shaking, she took a step towards the Nightmare.

Arthuriel

The beast snorted a puff of  fire as she approached and pawed the ground with its fiery hooves. It bent its knees, making it easier for Cia to mount it. It was clear it saw a connection between her and itself, it knew they were both serving Arthuriel unwillingly.

Blood... musssst be sssshed. Bring them to me...

SapphireIceDragon

Cia stepped forward, whispering a small thanks to the Nightmare before mounting it. She shakily held onto the beast as it rose to full height. She had ridden a horse before, but this was no simple creature. When the voice spoke to her again, she nearly fell off. However, she barely managed to keep her composure.

"How do I leave this tower?" She asked. Once she could get her bearings, she would ride the horse someplace else. A place where they could both be free of this man.

Arthuriel

Arthuriel spoke a word of power and another portal appeared, swirling and smokey.

"This will return you to the forest where we met." He said, standing from his throne. "I shall be watching if you need my assistance. And keep in mind, I have your brother's pendent. Betray me and I shall design a fate so horrid for your sibling he will curse your name."

The Demon'ssss Merchant issss my weapon... bring us blood.

SapphireIceDragon

Cia grit her teeth at the man's words. I'm basically trapped now. If I do a single task wrong, my brother... Anger surged through her veins, and her grip on the Nightmare tightened.I have no choice now. I have to kill the woman who hired me, although she put her trust in me. She felt so sick at that moment, but she had to remain strong.

"I'll keep that in mind," she replied stonily, her blue eyes narrowing at him. Pulling her blonde hair behind her shoulders, she rode the beast into the portal.

Arthuriel

The portal closed on itself after Cia had completely entered, wafts of smoke floating aimless in the air. Arthuriel reached inside the folds of his cloak, pulling a small crystal sphere. He spoke the words of power and image Cia riding the Nightmare drifted into view.

Little did he know the magic of this fortress, the arrogant necromancer didn't know the scrying crystal would allow the fortress to communicate with her.

Bring them here.... You cannot essscape me.

SapphireIceDragon

Cia tried to ignore the voice that entered her mind, but she couldn't help the strained expression on her face. How do I make it stop? She urged the Nightmare to go faster. Her blonde hair whipped behind her as the creature went into a full gallop. She squinted as branches snagged at her hair and left scratches on her skin.

Her heart pounded in fear and devastation of what lay ahead.

Arthuriel

You should have killed her, fool. That all too familiar voice said in Arthuriel's mind.

"Silence! To the hells with you, king." Arthuriel shouted, not realizing the magical consciousness that was drifting through his sphere.

Meanwhile, the fortress continued to speak in Cia's mind. Bring them... here to me.. I ssshall reward you, Cia. The Nightmare snorted angrily, sensing the intrusion of its rider's mind.

SapphireIceDragon

Cia sighed, patting the Nightmare to calm it again. What kind of reward? She wondered if she could communicate back to the voice. She still didn't know who, or what, was speaking to her, and her nerves were on edge. It seemed like forever until she reached the village. Small huts were scattered around a clearing, all seeming identical.

Nevertheless, Cia knew exactly which one to go to.

Arthuriel

I will not damn your sssoul to the hellsss to be feasssted upon by the demons and devils. It said in her minding. Nor sssshall I let your brother be damned either.

SapphireIceDragon

Cia's shoulders tensed as she dismounted the Nightmare, her frustration of the voice building up within her. Damned if I do, damned if I don't...There is no right choice for me any longer, now is there? Huffing a sigh of irritation, she made her way to the hut she had been in only a day before. She took a deep breath and knocked on the door. Only moments later, a nice young woman answered the door.

"Oh, hello, Cia," She said, smiling warmly. Although she seemed content at first, Cia could see dark circles under her eyes. "Please tell me...that your mission was a success."

Arthuriel

Arthuriel cocked his head to the left when he saw the woman. Who was she? There was no doubt that Arthuriel had many enemies, and an untold number of people who wanted them dead. But her? He didn't know who she was at all.

All mortals are damned, the heavens are no more paradise  than hell.

SapphireIceDragon

Cia ignored the voice, focusing on the task at hand. She had to lie to this woman...and eventually kill her.

"Yes, I killed the necromancer," she replied, her words feeling like poison as they escaped her lips. The woman sighed in relief.

"Thank you so much," She said. "My son has been avenged...I could die happy." She laughed, and Cia felt sick to her stomach. No, you can't. Your joy is all a lie... "Would you like to come inside?" She turned her back. This was Cia's chance.

Arthuriel

Arthuriel frowned under the shadow of his cloak. Her son? How many sons had the Demon's merchant killed in his numerous years? This woman was being incredibly unhelpful.