Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Commander of Adela

Started by Koga, June 01, 2015, 07:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koga

@Draco

Throughout the course of history, Adela has always been ruled by a powerful King. It takes a lot of strength to rule a country as hardy and militarized as Adela, and so the kingdom has an impressive line of rulers throughout the centuries. However, they would all be nothing without the Commander. There's an old saying in Adela: the King thinks, while the Commander acts. It is true to some extent. The Commander takes his orders directly from the King and no one else. He commands the nations standing army, and his soldiers are loyal to him before almost anyone else.

This was the position Ser John Loghaine had been appointed to just yesterday and he was still getting used to all the responsibility. This morning, he was laying lonesome on his bed-set in the Commanders' Tower of the palace. His wife was at their old home in the Thunderblacks, awaiting the royal convoy to come for her and their belongings. Though, he felt somewhat lonely sleeping alone, he was delighted to know that his wife was on her way to safety. The Commander was happy about his new position, and so he had very pleasant dreams that night. Until he was rudely awoken at the break of dawn to the sound of knocking on his door.

"Commander! Your presence is needed at the castle gates!" Shouted a voice from behind the door.

The Commander rolled over in his bed, and groaned into his pillow. "Is it urgent?" He called out, placing a bare foot on the wood floor beneath him.

"There's someone here who claims to have known the person in your position prior to you, Commander."

"Do we have to meet right now? The bloody sun just came up!"

"Well, there's one other thing I thought you might be interested in, Commander."

"Hmmm?"

"A couple of our foot soldiers claim to have seen your son last night, running away from a burning mill."

The Commander froze in place, staring down into his open palms. There was a pause, a small moment of silence before he spoke, "I'll be right down." And so, the Commander made his way out of bed and threw on some loose-fitting clothes. "Fetch my squire will you?"

"As you wish Commander." 

((Thought it might be best to open it up this way, If you have any problems let me know and I'll change it.))

Draconian

They were really making her wait at the gates. The Gates. Doeshe was restless at her side, the white dragon walking in little circles before sitting. Then walking in little circles before pressing his nose to her stomach. Sharlee would push his face away - she had worn her nice clothing today - and he would resume his walking in circles.  Today she meant business. Still couldn't believe she was made to wait at the gates.

Finally the foot soldiers returned and she was allowed in, they got a purple eyed look before she fixed her dress and she walked in. Of course she knew her way this place was familiar as any home she'd lived in. Doeshe walked at her side and while he was the size of a small horse, he had the mind of a puppy. Throwing back her soldiers to make herself look bigger (Which didn't really work) Sharlee made her way to the Commanders room in a rushed manner. Angry. Irritated.

Mostly angry.

With no ceremony, less manners and little caution she pushed the commanders bedroom door open. For the commander who was expecting a squire, it would be a purpled haired elf. An angry purple haired elf. Not an Adelan soldier at all. "My name is Sharlee and the previous commander was my sister. I demand you do something about her disappearance."

And so, on the first day of this new commanders job, there was an angry girl and her dragon. The flightless dragon that fit himself through the halls and squeezed his head through the door to look at the man with a dopey happy look on his face. Doeshe gave a few happy trills before he sat in the door way.

Koga

The Commander was sitting on his bed, tying up his pants when the girl barged in. Though he was not expecting the guest, he showed no signs of shock.  Instead, he merely raised a brow, "And good morning to you too, Sharlee." he said softly before cocking his head back to face the elf. A sly smirk grew on his face. Then, he stood up and turned to face the woman and her young dragon. "A pleasure to meet you, and what do we have here?" Loghaine glanced at the woman, and then to her dragon. Slowly, he walked over to creature and knelt down in front of it.

"I remember when my Chrysos was this small." He said, gently placing a hand on the dragons' forehead. "How old is he? He certainly looks like he'll soon be too large to fit in this castle." John continued, trying to lighten up the situation to some degree. He gently patted the dragons' head before standing back up. "But yes, you're sister... I've been meaning to look into her disappearance myself. It doesn't exactly look great when a country mysteriously loses their Commander at arms."

Loghaine then turned around, and began to slowly pace through his room. It was decorated with golden ornaments, dragon statues, weapons lined the walls, and Johns' blood red armor sat proudly in the corner of the room. It was truly a bedroom fit for a war-hero. "However, I find that I'm at a loss as to who- or what could have caused her to disappear so suddenly." The Commander turned back around to face the woman, and it was at that point that his squire had arrived. Pushing past Sharlee and Doeshe, a young boy adorned in red armor walked in and bowed before the Commander.

"At ease, Smith. My armor, will you?" Then the man took a seat, while the boy fetched his armor.  His eyes once again met with the womans', "Do you have any idea where she may have disappeared to Sharlee?"

Draconian

Doeshe, of course, loved the attention. Sharlee however, was not a happy camper. Her hands were on her hips and she was a few seconds away from tapping her foot impatiently. "He's... Doeshe is... Uh.. Ten? Maybe? Do they age while they're an egg?" She looked at Doeshe, she's had him since before she could remember. Part of that time had been as an egg and then as a cuddly puppy dragon. Now he was a huge puppy dragon. Little older than a baby, mentally. No! That wasn't why she was here.

His questions though would only disappoint her. She didn't know much. "Her only defining feature were big black wings." Was all she could say, her shoulders slumped and she leaned against the dragon, who took her weight and pressed his face into the crook over her neck, making little chirps. "And those were left staked to the castle gates weeks after she was kidnapped." Another sigh and she shrugged.

Sharlee finally let what she'd done sink in and she gave a proper curtsy. " I guess it was too much to ask. I know as little about her disappearance as you do. Apologies for my intrusion, Commander." The words were quiet and Doeshe gave a trill, looking wide eyes and happily at this Commander. Sharlee placed her hand on Doeshe's nose and his tongue stuck out to swipe at her hand, a smile and she rubbed his nose. "I... I'll let you know if I learn anything." Sharlee ushered Doeshe along and he bumbled along. "Let's go see Seiteki, Doeshe. Hmm? I'm sure Tarlaka wouldn't want Seiteki to be lonely."

There was one problem.

"Do... Ah, you know where the royal quarters are? I only know my way around this part of the castle."

Koga

Smith, the squire, began to dress the Commander in his royal armor. First starting with the boots and breeches, being sure to fasten them tightly around his legs. It was unlikely that the Commander was going to see battle today, but a good Knight always wears his armor.  As the squire tied the last knot of the leggings firmly onto the Commander, Ser John began to speak, "Don't give up so easy lass." When he looked over to the young woman, Loghaine couldn't help but see something of himself in her. Strangely enough, he felt empathy with her.

"I know what it's like to lose someone close to you." Spoke the Commander, while Smith helped him into his breastplate. It was true; there was not a day that he passed through without thinking of his missing son. The Commander looked down for a moment, lost in thought. Dwindling in his imagination, thinking of all the places his son could be in that moment. The amount of places was infinite. He had no idea where his son could be, but just last night he was in Ketra. So close to him--just barely out of his reach. Loghaine looked back up suddenly.

"The loss of the Commander is an insult to the Adelan kingdom. This cannot possibly go on, and we cannot let this fiend shame our country's good name. It would be a sign of weakness, where we are a nation of power. I will lead the search parties myself." The Commander affirmed. His eyes met with Sharlees' in a noble glance. The squired had fastened the breastplate on, now he was moving toward the arms. "This should never have happened. We will find her, I give you my word as a Knight and Commander of Adela."

When the squire had finished dressing the Commander in his armor, Loghaine thanked him and sent him off. "Yes of course, right this way." Prior to becoming the Commander of Adela, he was a royal Knight, stationed right in this palace. He had already learned his way around this castle. "So tell me Sharlee, did your sister have any enemies?"

Draconian

With Doeshe bumbling behind them, sniffing at everything, Sharlee walked with this new Commander.  Did Tarlaka have any enemies? Her eyebrows went up when she paused, trying to think. "I don't... Think so? As many as you might." Sharlee shrugged, as they walked, not really sure what to go off of. Her hands clutched at her dress and she gave a smile, "I think your presence is much more important to be here than looking for my sister. I was just... Angry. I apologize, Commander."

Another small smile and they walked. This was so terribly awkward. Clearing her throat she held her hands to her front and smiled towards the man. "Do you enjoy it? Leading, I mean?" The only thing she could lead was her bumbling dragon.

Koga

The girl had a point, but that wouldn't put out the Commanders' fire. "Well, you may be right about that." He said as they walked through the large castle halls. "However, if that were to happen to her-- what's stopping it from happening again? Perhaps the next target could be me, or even the king." A worried grimace overtook his face, just for a second. "It is my duty to protect the King and Kingdom before anything else." The Commander stopped speaking for a moment, lost in thought. He could not possibly let treachery like this go on, not while he was Commander. Yet, he couldn't leave the country without their war-leader. This was going to require a lot of careful thought.

He opened his mouth to answer her question when they reached the royal quarters, "Depends what kind of leading." He knocked on the large doorway. "I love leading in battle, whether it be all out war- or search and rescue. I was built for it. I hate politics." He waited for the door to open while he spoke. "Do you have any idea where she was last seen-- or who she was with before she went missing?"

Draconian

This guy was super serious about his work.

Part of Sharlee regreted coming here on a whim. The last thing she'd expected was to be grilled on the where abouts of her sister, let along where she'd been at the time. How could she break it to him that she had rarely seen her sister? "You hate politics..." She frowned at him, "You're the Commander. You have the most political spot in the army."  Her voice was low and she just gave him an odd look, a sideglance before she crossed her arms over her chest.

A little time with her niece and she'd be on her way, maybe to Serendipity.  "There were dead bodies, not Adelan soldiers and her feathers were everywhere." Sharlee shrugged, "I only came here because I was angry." She tilted her head and tried to smile kindly at the commander, "I'm afraid I wasn't here often. This was Tarlaka's home, mine is out in the forest with Doeshe. You're asking the wrong person for information."

The door to the royal quarters were opened and Doeshe barged his way in. "Perhaps you could delegate the issue to someone, an investigation perhaps?" She said quietly, looking to the hall, "I ... Just want her to be alive. But everything points to that not happening."

Koga

"Would you consider it a political position? I certainly wouldn't." The Commander said, as he made his way into the royal quarters. The Commander took pride in his position, but he was going to use it in his own way. "The King is the politician here in Adela, I merely take orders from him. My duty is to the armies; to war and protection of the Kingdom. Politics are out of the question." Loghaine continued his statement, as he reached the center of the room.

When Sharlee had discussed the scene in the Commanders' bedroom, it was eery for Loghaine to imagine that that had taken place in the same room he slept in the night before. As if he wasn't already having enough trouble sleeping here already. "I'll have to look into it further." Loghaine said, while admiring the royal quarters. Everything was so expensive looking here, so royal and flashy. Much different from his home back in the Thunderblacks. He felt a bit out of place for a moment, and a tad bit home-sick.

"If there's even the slightest chance she's alive, we'll find her. I'll send my best Knights, and see to it that permission is granted to give a royal reward to whoever brings her back to the Kingdom unharmed." The Commander stood proud, feeling more noble now than ever before. This was his duty as Commander, and he was going to fulfill it.

Draconian

Well, she wasn't the commander, so Sharlee just kept her mouth shut. Looking at Doeshe who gave her a big doe eyed look back. Of course he wouldn't get the subtleties, he was still a baby. Sharlee looked at the hallway, still wandering down the rooms. Seiteki had to be around here somewhere

Still she turned to the Commander and gave him a curtsy, "Thank you, Sir." Which was a little more quiet compared to "AUNTIE SHRIEE!" And Sharlee turned around just in time to catch a winged toddler with blue and black hair. "Seiteki!" She gasped, looking horrified for a moment, "Why are you naked!" The maids came bussling out of a room shortly, holding towels and looking just about done in.  Seiteki stretched her little grey wings out and popped her thumb into her mouth while Sharlee picked her up better.

"Uuuh... This is Seiteki." Sharlee mentioned to the Commander, indicated to the naked winged toddler in her arms who was shortly bundled up in towels and held by the maids. Seiteki's little arms reached out and soon enough, Sharlee was holding her again. "This is Tarlaka's daughter. Do you have children sir? I believe you mentioned a son?"

Koga

The Commander froze when he saw the child. His eyes grew cold for the moment, as if something was slowly eating away at his soul. It was like this for him nearly every time he saw children, for he could not escape his own memories of his son in his childhood. He recalled how small his boy had been, with little yellow eyes and fiery red hair. In truth his son was the spitting image of his wife. Nearly every feature matched hers, with the exception of the red hair and tanned skin. He had the look of his mother, but the will of his father. Loghaine only wondered where his defiance had come from. His emotional state only got worse at the mention of his son.

"Yes, I do in fact." The Commander said, without so much as acknowledging Seiteki. He tried to find the words to explain his sons' position, but it wasn't easy. His lips quivered as he tried to speak the words. This was a rare position to find the commander in. Usually he was so centered, and focused on his goal. But now, he seemed at a complete loss.

"Let's just say he's in a similar position to your sister, only he does not wish to be found."

Draconian

How rude.

Sharlee gave the Commander a side eyed look, not even going to notice the (unfortunately) naked child? The wings? Nothing? Then she noticed the lip quiver and she tilted her head, holding the toddler against her hip and brushing a hand over the downy grey wings. Seiteki snuggled into her aunts warm arms and Sharlee watched the new Commander.

"I'll keep an eye out for him on my travels, I meet enough people. Perhaps one of them will be him?" The least she could do for the poor man. "Tell me about him."

Koga

"Slim chances of that happening." The Commander said with a sigh. "I've sent countless amounts of soldiers and search parties out to look for him, but all thus far have returned empty-handed." Cold eyes stared down to the floor in dismay, he tried his best to refrain from showing any emotion, but he was definitely failing. However, he was happy to hear that someone would be keeping an eye out for him. Besides, this lass appeared to be the same sort of free-spirit type that his son was, so perhaps there was some small chance that they could one day meet.

"However, I suppose it's worth a shot." The Commander said, smiling only slightly. "Strangely enough, you remind me of him - to some degree anyway. He was always such a free-thinker, never wanted to listen to me. He would always run off into the woods and play mage with that bird." Another sigh fell from the Commanders' lips as he thought about what else to say. "He's easily recognizable, if you do ever see him he should be hard to miss. He has long, fiery red hair and yellow eyes that burn with the same intensity as the sun itself. That boy embraces fire, always casting fire magic - no matter how much I told him not to." The Commander tickled the hairs on his chin, as he thought on. "Let's see... what else?" There was a sudden change in the Commanders' face, he seemed almost shocked that he could forget this last part, "Oh! And he rides atop a giant Phoenix."

Draconian

Sharlee was not impressed.

"You send people out to find him... And he habitually rides a giant phoenix." She shifted Seiteki on her hip, the child playing with her long braid. This was ridiculous. "Are you sending blind people after him or... Does he just fly away?"

Tags: