Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Kindred Spirits

Started by viestrus01, June 21, 2015, 07:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viestrus01

Another lonely day...

The fox woman smiled fondly as her eight cubs fed.

Abandoned little cubs...

Just like her.

The cubs' mother only stayed to milk them. As soon as they were eating raw flesh out of dead carcasses, their mom left them. Out in the harsh, cold winters of the mountains.

Luckily, Leah had passed by them in their hour of need, whilst walking down the mountain. They were emanciated, deathly hungry and chilled to the bone. The cubs were dying. Immediately she took them in.

It's been a few days since then, and the cubs have made staggering progress in terms of recover. Everytime she brought back food, they'd devour it almost immediately.

She pet one of the cubs who had just finished eating, now seeking warmth from who they thought to be their mother. She complied, as she carefully cradled the small fox in her arms, petting it and cleanin it's bloodstained mouth with one hand.

The rest of the cubs came soon after, having finished eating. The position Leah was in, similar to that of a fox lying down with their head up, made it easy for the cubs to find a position to nestle themselves in. Some nestled themselves on her bosom, others on her abdominal area. Some even chose to stay on top if her legs.

Chuckling, she shifted her position slightly, curling up her body some more, dragging some of the cubs closer to each other, makinflg them look almost like a lump.

As she lied her head down herself, her ears perked. If one were to squint, they would notice her eyes' glow intensifying. Without looking about, she called.

"You can come out now..."

Jounin64

Carver hadn't traveled north yet and the natives had never heard of his act as The Arachnid. So he thought it'd be a nice way to earn money and maybe find friendship because he's only met a few good people in his journeys so far.

While traveling through the mountains he wasn't worried of freezing to death, but he was worried that his exoskeleton could break because it has become more fragile in the cold. He heard what sounded like foxes and thought they could make good companions for the night and help him get food.

He cautiously approaches where the sound was coming from making sure not to startle them and what he saw made his jaw drop. Fox cubs nestling to a woman who seemed to be part fox in a similar way that he is part scorpion. He hears the woman call him out and he slowly reveals himself.

He lowers his hood to show that he is not unlike her. "H-hello I am Carver Forthwind I was hoping I could spend the night with your pack because I'm still far away from my destination of Hyoite and I need a place to rest and eat."

viestrus01

Well. This is quite the sight to see.

A man, draped in a robe witg pitch black eyes, and skin that doesn't look like well... skin. And those hands, too...

Leah calmly eyed the man, her red eyes cool and calm, betraying the rest of her body as it tensed, her arms curling defensively around the cubs nestled near her chest, her six, snow white tails curling around the rest of them, some still pointed upwards, as if ready to swipe at the intruder if he attacks.

She didn't say a thing, still carefully examining the man to see if he truly could be trusted.

After a long while, she sighed, her body relaxing slightly as she spoke.

"...Fine. As long as you don't disturb the cubs."

Jounin64

Carver waited anxiously for an answer and when his offer was accepted he quietly sat near the woman. "You know your a good mother...my parents were very good to me...even after the incident." Carver looks glumly at his claws then looks back up at the woman. "A parent is what defines the child and if you accept them no matter what they'll see things in a new light. I'm sure your cubs will grow up to be confident grown foxes one day." He then gives off a sweet smile.

viestrus01

She didn't return the smile. At least not visibly. To have someone talk to her out of the blue like this us rather odd. Eve after 10 years of trying to improve her social skills, people here are still wary of her simply due to her appearence.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that he himself is a monstrosity...

She absently pet one of the cubs as she tried to continue the conversation. "These are not my cubs," she said,"I found them within the mountains, abandoned by their real mother. I merely took her place."

She felt one of the cubs shift as they slept. She sighed, thinking about how they'll be like when they grow up. Will it be like this man says?

She took another look at her guest. It didn't take much for her to guess that he wasn't born this way, but she refrained from inquiring him about it. No one wants to talk about how they turned into a monster.

Her snow white tail whipped about slowly, a non-readable look on her face, feeling almost guilty that she feels relieved to not be the only monster in this world.

Jounin64

"Well the adoption is a little obvious." He gives off  friendly chuckle. "Oh unless it was something to do with magic or curses, but those theories would get too complicated. Either way you are their parent now so from birth or not they're still your cubs."

He gives off another friendly smile, but this time sorrow could be seen in his eyes. "You know it's nice having a conversation, most people run away, gawk, or try to kill me because of my form. I'm sure you understand that feeling, but a fox is so much more beautiful than a scorpion. He unwraps his tail and snakes it out of his robe.

viestrus01

"I can relate," said the fox. Her guest then showed his tail, resembling that of a scorpion.     

She didn't gawk, nor jump in the slightest at the sight of the tail. She merely laid there in silence, a look of understanding crossing her features. Again, she refrained from asking anything about his condition.

She did, however, reach out her hand, her claws gingerly touching the hard exoskeleton. Almost immediately she drew her hand back.

"It is nice having a normal comversation every once in a while..." Again, an unreadable look crosses her features.

"...A fox may be 'beautiful', but it still kills. No matter what form you take, to everyone else you'll still be deemed a monster."

Jounin64

Carver smiles as she touches his exoskeleton. "Pretty useful huh? Except in conditions like this it's pretty fragile."

He listens intently to what she has to say noticing her expression has never given a clue to what she was thinking. "Which is why we have to make the best of things...even if it means we have to swallow our pride...you know I could use some company for my show, you've covered your tracks by not revealing any emotion so I can tell your a talented actress."

He then looks lovingly at the fox cubs. "The little ones can come too."

viestrus01

She had to smile at the offer.

Someone offering a place for her somewhere? That one's definitely a first.

She then sighed, her expression hiding the slight dissapointment she felt. "Sorry," she said,"but I can't go anywhere yet. They're still not well yet, though they did gain weight, which is a good sign at least..."

She looked up at her guest once more. "Maybe at another time?"

Jounin64

"Ah! There's the smile." He smiles himself "That wont be a problem I work on my own time so I can help nurture the young until they're better."

A look of realization and embarrassment comes across his face. "How could I forget? I never even asked what your name was."

viestrus01

"...Leah."

One of the cubs stirred awake just then, greeted by the sight of their new guest. It's body went tense as it shifted closer to the fox, growling at the man all the while.

"You say you'll help me take care of them, but hopefully you can stand the little ones not being so fond of you... for now, at least."

Jounin64

Carver lowers his claw to the cub so it can pick up his scent. "I understand if I were in their shoes I would be afraid too. It takes time to earn respect and I'm willing to put in that time."

viestrus01

The cub shifted back a bit, but after a while inched forward again and sniffed the man's claw.

Seeing this reaction, Leah chuckled, after which she let out a sigh as she finally lowered her head and closed ger eyes, deciding that this would be the right time to get some sleep.

((Sorry for replying real late TnT parents... they drag you everywhere DX))

Jounin64

Carver smiles at her reaction and watches her go to sleep. He stayed up for a bit longer until he decided it was time for him to rest as well. A bitter streak of frozen wind nips at him and he thought that he should better keep him and Leah warm for the night. He moves closer and puts his arm around her hoping she won't mind then falls into a deep sleep.

(OOC: It's ok I've been working at an overnight camp so I haven't had much time either.)   

viestrus01

The next morning, Leah woke up to the sound of a harsh blizzard outside. She also noticed her vision, obscured by a figure in front of her.

Ok... this is awkward...

She carefully removed the man's arms off of her, getting up to a seating position. Her cubs still lay asleep, right where they dozed off the night before. She then checked the cubs' food supply. Spotting the few dead rabbits she collected yesterday, she scoffed.

'Well... those won't last long, with the kind of appetite these guys have...'

Jounin64

Carver wakes up noticing that the food supply is low. He then notices Leah's look. "If you need help hunting I can assist. You learn a lot about hunting when you travel all the time."