Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Justice is blind (visualspice)

Started by Saber-Five, July 22, 2015, 11:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber-Five

Nemesis raised his gloved hands and shook them while saying.

"Don't worry, I am well as can be expected. Must confess, I didn't expect to encounter someone like you today during my little public debut. Guess Ansgar either has a crazy sense of timing or at least a sense of humor."

The vigilante grinned upon saying that but his mask conceal that expression. After he finished the treatment he sat down in the chair a few feet away and tossed a chunk of bread to Kathania. Honestly Nemesis felt tired from the events of today while still glad that he achieved his objectives. Even with the candle light, slightly brightening the one room they were in, the shadows covered most of it, including the masked man's upper head area.

Nemesis cast the hood back over the shoulders and finally pulled the mask off as well. He wasn't concerned of his guest seeing his face with the darkness as a shield. The best Kathania could spot at best was the neck, mouth, and nose. Both nose and neck were covered in wrappings while the mouth area itself scarred all over and tan colored skin that hinted severe burns in the past.

visualspice

She couldn't help herself but stare. Even in the darkness she could make out some features of his face, not that she'd think he was a familiar. And at the bread, she took it graciously.
"Thanks."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Saber-Five

"You're welcome" Nemesis said in respond as he picked another piece of bread, for himself this time. He ate it carefully before he continued with another question

"How do you want me to address you? I figure hearing me call you milady all the time can get annoying."

visualspice

She smirked.
"Katahnia. If you wish to call me anything, you might as well use my name." And she raised her brows at him. "And you? What shall I call you, Mr. Nemisis?" she teased.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Saber-Five

This woman sure does like to be funny. The vigilante sliently thought, while he struggle to keep himself from smiling at her word play, failing slightly at that. He repiled back, with amusement in his tone.

"Just Nemesis will do."

Suddenly he heard voices in his head, belonging to brighter days and people he once held dear.

Uncle can you teach to fight with a sword so I can be like a warrior too. Little boy asked eagerly.

Cast your worries to Ansgar. Please remember he cares for you as do I brother. A woman's voice said in gentle reminder.

Stay with me please. Another voice softly whispered, belonging to a lover.

Nemesis shook his head, forcing those memories away from view. In order to avoiding thinking about them further, he looked to Katahnia.

"If you don't mind me asking Katahina why are you alone? Don't you have some allies who can give aid?"

visualspice

Sighing, she shook her head.
"It's... complicated." Frowning, she thought over the unfortunate events that brought her here.
"I wasn't alone- for a good long while, ever since... well, the Grand Duke's men sent me North to die. The travel was long even.... but since I've returned.."
She found herself sighing again.
"It feels as if I'm doomed to repeat my fate. Though thank you for your help. I returned to the capital to continue on with my preaching, but to also check on my daughter. Seems I have a lot to worry about." She gave a small grin. "She's very much like me, and very stubborn."

Saber-Five

"Well, a daughter, congratulations." Nemesis remarked with great sincerity. Hopefully Kathania's child and her generation will live in better days than that of their parents, he considered silently. Likely its part of the reason why her mother is continuing her struggle no matter how bitter the results seem to be. Such dedication for her cause was something to respect and even admire.

Nemesis' next words came swiftly.

"Kathania, assuming the war is ended how would you change things in this country?"

visualspice

"Yes, she's not even a teenager and she acts like one," she went on with a sigh, though smiling. And at his question, she smiled still.
"So many things. People's freedoms, for one. To treat someone like a criminal without them being guilty is just wrong." She observed him thoughtfully. "What do you think?"

Saber-Five

Nemesis wasn't surprise with her first answer, it fit with her ideals that she spoken about over the years. He thought carefully for a minute before replying.

"Sounds like good intentions, but people's view on such things can be quite fickle like the weather. For example nobles like the Grand Duke resent the very idea of surrendering even a little bit of their power and influence. Also some common folk who still fear the notion of mages being allowed to use magic freely. Then there magic users, who have been hunted and treated like animals for so long. Perhaps a number of them can learn to forgive and co-exist with non-mages but not all will accept it and will want revenge even if it means others around them suffer in the process."

Nemesis squeezed his hands into fists, filled with slient rage and continued.

"That is why I believed that before peace can be achieved, the guilty regardless of background need to be shown that there are consequences to their crimes. Like I done to the Modrecai today."

visualspice

The tone of his voice sent a chill through her blood, and the woman grew silent, a true smile fading. It was replaced by a nervous one.
"To each his own. But I'm still not a fan of killing. War is a messy business, and never pleasant. It's always accompanied with scars- which I believe are meant to remind us all the pains of war. And that we should avoid unnecessary evils where we can."

Saber-Five

Seeing her nervous expression, made Nemesis remember to control himself. Even so Kathania stood by her beliefs of non-violence, while respecting his right to a free opinion.  When she mentioned scars, Nemesis flinched a little considering the he carried wounds on his body and mind. With his voice soften yet still firm, he spoke once more.

"If only more people were willing to listen you. Ansgar forgive us. Anyway, killing is not my sole method. Such as my reason for sparing that seneschal Hacket from execution back at the square. Yes he is a corrupt official who attempted to have an innocent man killed simply to bolster his career but there is a reason why I let him live.

You see Kathania before the execution I took in possession some private records belonging to him and his late boss. It involved their profiteering business and I anonymously sent the files over to the capital for the authorities to find. Let's just say Hacket had not only stole from the citizens, he withheld a huge sum of profits meant for the higher-ups to keep for himself."

Amused, Nemesis chuckled merrily for a second.

"Adding to that betrayal and the disgrace he just suffered with my escape, Hacket is going to prison where he belongs."

Kathania could clearly see and feel the amusement that Nemesis didn't bother to hide about what he feel regrading Hacket's fate. Killing wasn't always the solution, in his opinion, somtimes it's simply more effective to humiliate your enemies and deny them their goals.

visualspice

She couldn't hide her smile. She gave a nod.
"Yes.." she sighed. "Let's just hope he does get what he deserves, and that he hasn't greased the right palms along the way. Justice is fickle where there is money, and promise of power."

Saber-Five

"Indeed that is true. Though from the amount of money he stole from them and for the embarrassment he brought by having the real fugitive who slew his former boss escape with a Mordecai killed too, he's pretty much expendable in their eyes."

Nemesis repiled in reassurance. Then he realized that they got off track from the original subject of their dissuasion. He continued.

"One of the concerns, that need to be addressed is if magic users are allowed in the land what would be the fate of the Mordecai?"

visualspice

She looked at him curiously.
"Their fate?" She blinked and dropped her gaze. Shaking her head, she looked up at him with sincerity. "The same as anyone- mordecai are not born evil, just like mages are not born evil. It's.. just how the Gods' blessed us." She tilted her head, curiously examining him. "I am not foolish enough to believe this war, even after it is ended, will fix all problems. Corruption can and will occur... it is just an unfortunate side effect of.... humans, I suppose." She sighed, wilting a bit at the prospect. "Even still... one can always hope." She gave him a small smile. "Not all humans, or elves, or sentient creatures are bad. And I believe it's the good we live for."

Saber-Five

Mercy even for those who hunt her Nemesis thought in amazement with a mixture of guilt. Then again her past home was invaded and her family murdered, yet she still called for peace to this day. For someone like him, it's hard to trust that people can be good, yet this Lady is still so determined to do so. Yet along with her idealism added with a bit of realism, folded into together with compassion.

Her call of forgiveness, despite everything, touched at the vigilante's heart, reminding of him- No don't go there Nemesis told himself, but slient tears came from his hidden eyes, wetting the wrappings on the cheeks, and can be clearly seen by his guest.

visualspice

She hadn't meant to make him cry, nor had even considered this a moment proper for man or woman to do so. Blinking, she leaned back some, obviously surprised.

"Did I say something to offend you?"
Though the look in his eyes...
It seemed she hit on something else entirely.

Saber-Five

In that moment, Nemesis realized his mistake. He turned his head away, but quickly looked back, there was no point in hiding these tears, Nemesis concluded. It's not like everyone in the whole land saw it too.

"You didn't offend me Kathania." Nemesis said with a reassuring wave of his gloved hand.

"In all honesty, you reminded me of some good people...I knew."

visualspice

At that, she smiled, albeit the grin was crooked.
"I suppose that's a good thing to be compared to good people."

Saber-Five

"It is " Nemesis said in a way that stated the people he cared about were gone. It so strange that he be sharing this with her. They just met, he guessed in someways Nemesis wanted to unburden some of his load after all these years. Perhaps it is time...to explain somewhat.

"They were my family, this bloody war took them away."

The proud vigilante hung his head as guilt and sorrow took ahold of him.

"I failed them when they needed me most all because of my hubris."

visualspice

Where she had been smiling, it soon began to fade as she studied his face. The moment his gaze dropped, so did her's. But she didn't hesitate to scoot closer to him as she placed a hand upon his shoulder.

"You can not blame yourself for what has already happened. So many have been taken by this war.... And if we continue to feel the shame and not learn from it, not to live.... Then all we've been doing has been pointless."