Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

'The Quest of A Lifetime' Thread Series Plotting Page

Started by Ethereal-Star, August 05, 2015, 10:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

The old plotting thread for this can be found here. I am also restarting this as it too had died before going anywhere. This is 'open by request' only. If you want to join, post here and with what character you wish to use.

This may end up being a fairly long adventure that spans multiple locations, so it will take place in at least five different threads, perhaps even six or seven. Please commit to this if you wish to jump in, as I'd like to keep this moving and active.

Looking for 2 or 3 others to play, preferably the mercenary/fighter type although others will also be considered.

Any questions, just ask.

Aura

My character Avarosa could possible work. She's definitely an adequate fighter. She's not really the hired mercenary type, more of the "take whatever work I want whenever I need money" kind, but I could see her getting involved for the adventure. She would probably tag along with hopes of meeting a dragon or two along the way.

Coco123

My character Etris can join! She's a skilled archer and would be happy to work for some money. It'd be quite fun too.

JackieCat

I just looked at the first post (by you @Ethereal-Star) in the original plotting thread, and I was wondering if I had to read all of the posts or if you are completely starting over the plotting, as in the members on that page are not going to be in this thread. 

I hope that was clear, if not, let me know!
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

Okay, replying to each person in the order they posted.

@Aura
Your character sounds great! Blackflame magic sounds like it would be really powerful and useful on such a major undertaking. As for meeting another dragon, well that actually might happen as one of the purported runestones Olwen is searching for is in the treasure horde of my crystal dragon, Zy'raxas. Pardon me for not linking directly to her profile but she is listed in my character catalog as well and should not be difficult to find. She won't take part in this quest though, but the adventuring group may need to make a trip to her cave if their journey leads there. However while she is a friendly dragon, she is also very greedy too and won't easily part with her valuables unless something else is offered in exchange that is worth enough for her to accept. So with that said, feel free to 'find' whatever interesting loot you want to find! You want to find a large emerald? Done! You want a ruby-encrusted scepter? Done done! Any of these goodies can be traded to my dragon character in exchange for the runestone she holds. Or adventurers can simply go there to converse with her and share riddles. So yeah, she'll only make a temporary appearance in this series, if at all. But the note above about finding any loot you want is for everyone to create as they see fit! My only suggestion would be to make sure the location of the loot makes sense, for instance a hidden cave, underground ruin not touched in centuries, a locked chest found somewhere on some strange island, etc. etc. It wouldn't make sense to find 100gp in plain view of a crowded city with lots of people and no one bothers to take it. But I think that pretty much goes without saying. :)

@Hakan
Sure, come right on in! My only question is does she travel outside Adela much? As my character Olwen lives in Jadenshine and that is where the thread series will start. But it will move on from there as already mentioned, so it's not really a big deal if she doesn't. Olwen can hire her at any time.

@JackieCat
I had to restart the previous thread as the others kinda went MIA. Plus I'm not sure if some of them will come back. And no, reading the entire thread is not necessary as I have to redo the initial post as it is. I hope that clears things up enough. There is one post in the plotting thread I'll copy/paste here for clarity so everyone knows what's what as that is important information. Now that I think about it, I think there were two posts to repost here. Will do so in a separate reply though.

So since three people have shown interest, JackieCat too I think, that is gonna be it for the number of players as I don't want this to get too big with too many players. I'll see about getting the thread up within the next few days, once I figure out a new start for it. And I hope everyone has fun with this thread series, I know I will! ;)

Coco123

Ethereal-Star

Here are the posts of information from the previous plotting thread. Post 1 is below.

Starting Location: Jadenshine, Serendipity but will move onward from there

Quest Items:
-Pendant of Power
-Runestone of Energy

The Plot:
Olwen's magic school has tasked Olwen with acquiring some important items and artifacts, some of which can be found at Sacora's shop in the province of Jadenshine. The quest items however, are said to be located elsewhere throughout the lands.

The Pendant of Power, a magical artifact that can boost a mage's mana reserve by three times the norm while they are wearing it is said to be located somewhere in the Western Highlands in the Terrin mountains. The exact spot is unknown. Such a powerful item being the only one of its kind is most likely to be guarded. By what exactly or how many of these whats is also unknown at this point. Perhaps the group can find out more at the local taverns and inns they stop at.

The Runestone of Energy is another special item although not as unique as the Pendant of Power. There are purported to be about 5-6 of these runestones scattered throughout the world somewhere and some are most likely guarded as well. They would be difficult to find and even more difficult to get a hold of. Only one of these is needed to help activate another item the school already has in their possession, called the Pedestal of Recharging. This device, along with one of the runestones, can recharge magic items that have rechargeable properties. A highly sought after thing for a mage academy, mind you. The two work in tandem with one another and can not be used by themselves as it wouldn't work.

Will the group of adventurers be successful in their mission? What will they find? What sort of creatures lay in wait for them at their destinations? Will they all come back alive? Join in to find out...

Ethereal-Star

Here is post 2.

Some more information about the quest items. Keep in mind the characters will NOT know this until they meet up with a certain NPC of mine used for the purposes of this story only. This NPC is a scholar of both magical and mundane artifacts worldwide and would know something about these objects the characters are looking for. I am posting this here for easy reference and also because the scholar himself may not necessarily know every detail but can be revealed as the story goes on. They would meet with him in a tavern somewhere in the Western Highlands conveniently, where he would tell them some of his findings pertaining to their mission.

Here is the information:

Locations of the Runestones of Energy

Western Highlands:
One of the runestones of energy is located here, in a hard to get by mountain pass in the Terrin Mountains. Somewhere at the bottom of a chasm filled with relatively deep water, buried somewhere amidst the waterbed lies one of these runestones. It is almost impossible to get to, considering the difficulty of crossing the pass, getting into the chasm safely and diving into the cold murky waters to go dig around in the mud at the bottom. These waters also harbor some vicious biting fish and fresh water eels. Unless one has appropriate gear or magic in order to overcome all these obstacles, it is NOT recommended to go searching here for it. Best to look elsewhere.

Fell:
Amongst the ruins of this nation lie many objects of power, wealth and artifacts alike. One of the runestones of energy is also said to lie here undisturbed, buried amid the rubble and debris. However it is strongly cautioned for magic-users of any ilk not to go there for the chaos magic that permeates the place is strong and it will likely affect any mages who travel here with its afflicted energy. What effect this energy has had on the runestone in question is debatable. Some scholars say it is affected and cannot be undone, while others say once taken out of the area it will resume its normal state. While even others wonder and speculate it is immune to such chaos. Who is right, we don't know. (It may be best for Olwen and Sacora to not travel here b/c of the above chaos energy that is evident. Even though it is most likely not guarded, it is still a dangerous place to venture for these two characters.)

Kilanthro Mountains:
One of the runestones is rumored to be in the possession of an ancient crystal dragon named Zy'raxas (one of my characters by the way) who lives in a cave in the Kilanthro Mountains near the Sionad Tundra and Hyoite. However, unless one has a sufficient magical item to trade with the dragon herself, it is best not to bother with this area. Zy'raxas is known for her love of riddles, puzzles and word games and also loves to test these out on any visitors to her home cave. If one does not want to bother with puzzles and riddles, and does not have anything in return the dragon would want, look somewhere else for another runestone. Fighting her would be utterly foolish.

Seraj Isa:
Seraj Isa or commonly known as The Glass Desert, is a sacred place to the Essyrni peoples that is located someways away from the country of Essyrn itself. However in this area, dwell some nomadic tribal peoples who are known to guard whatever treasures and wealth are to be found here along with some strange and as yet unknown beasts that roam the glass-frozen dunes. Some suspect there to be a myriad of lesser drakes and dust elementals that take up residence here, as well as various large bears and wolves. Other creatures most definitely exist here as well, but nothing else is known about them. The tribes of the Glass Desert are said to be unreasonable and vicious and do not take kindly to intruders upon their land unless they have a good reason to be there. If one does not provide a sufficient reason to be present, expect a lot of tough fights and skirmishes as a result. A runestone of energy is said to be buried within a crevice in one of the many glass dunes here. Caution is strongly advised if adventurers pursue this route.

Temple of Ash:
Located in the Kishahn Jungle is an old temple, the remains of which harbor fallen statues of long ago worshipped figures lost to time. Who knows what one might find within the rubble or underneath it in the catacombs of the site? However, the Blood of Ash cult makes their home here and they are definitely not to be trifled with. The only other thing of note is that the runestone of energy located here is said to be guarded by three powerful shadow wraiths, and a bunch of lesser shadows that are purported to appear when something is taken from the ruins. A fight with these undead is not to be underestimated. Along with the threat of the nearby cult, any travelers to these parts must be on their guard and extremely wary of any and all dangers present. If not, prepare to meet your doom. Creatures and beasts of the surrounding jungle itself must also be taken into account.

The Last of the Runestones:
The whereabouts of the final runestone are to this day, unknown. No one has been able to acquire any information about it, or if they do have some news of it, they keep such to themselves. But there is one more runestone out there, somewhere in the far reaches of the world, and it would be most accurate to assume it is also either guarded or hard to get to or both even. The drunken mutterings of a supposed madman has uttered the possible whereabouts of it before he succumbed to a nasty illness and shortly died thereafter. The ramblings that were heard before he died were "At the edges of the known world, amid a place of torment and death!" Not much to go on, unfortunately.

Location of the Pendant of Power

Western Highlands:
Somewhere in the Terrin Mountains is an object of great power for mages and magic-users alike. It is called the 'Pendant of Power.' Able to increase a wizard's mana reserve by three-fold it is a highly sought after item by many of the magical variety. But oh so very hard to acquire. For it is guarded by a gigantic and most fearsome rock beast of huge proportions, rumored to wield the strength of the mountains itself with its bare hands. A direct confrontation with it is not advised at all. Stealth/invisibility may be required if one wishes to find this artifact. There is also said to be huge piles of gold and silver here. Best of luck to ye bold adventurers who traverse this region and brave its perils.

Coco123

Ethereal-Star

Yep, definitely!

Still waiting to hear from @Aura and @JackieCat on this. I hope to get the thread up soon, part 1 anyway. :)

JackieCat

I'm here! :))

For characters, I think my thief Faelis could work.  He could get hired by Olwen, he's a really good fighter and is extremely stealthy.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

I'll need to fully read the profile later, as I gotta do something real quick, but I think Faelis should work, especially if he's good at stealth. That would definitely come in handy at some point. ;)

Thanks! :D

Ethereal-Star

So this plotting thread is closed to any more new players to join, as we got myself, @Aura , @Hakan , and @JackieCat RP'ing in this thread series. Once again it will start in Jadenshine, and will go from there. Hoping to have the thread up by tomorrow night.

Aura

Just got done reading through all the information! I'm ready to go.

JackieCat

My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Whim

Whoops! Been on vacation the past few days. I know we discussed Ellis being a fellow student andsent to accompany as Olwen (reluctantly as the muscle). Let me know if you've got any room!
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Ethereal-Star

@Whim
Oops, sorry! Yes you can join in! So that makes five of us now. Well, I failed my goal of having it up tonight, but it will be soon folks! I will post the link here once it's up and ready to roll.