Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Such Simple Little Things [m]

Started by Draconian, September 04, 2015, 07:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconian

A moment for her to grasp his words and then Sharlee's face grew concerned.

"Maybe I can help you?" Her voice was soft while she watched him, "I travel a lot. You could come with me." There was a pause and she pursed her lips. He was big. Obviously strong. What downside was there to having an angel - or what appeared to be an angel - on her side? "I could pay you?" Sharlee smiled at him, "we can find your home an you can... Do human things on the way there?"

Zero

"Do human things?" What a strange thing to say. At least Gregori thought it was strange, but he couldn't be sure.

Maybe there were "human" things and "elf" things and they were different?

Gregori finished with Sharlee's left wrist and rinsed the rag so that he could start cleaning her right wrist.

He wasn't sure about traveling with someone. For a while the priestess had been his companion, teaching him enough to barely scrape by in his mortal interactions. Although he did understand, in a fashion, the concept of being paid. That was performing some kind of service in exchange for monetary compensation.

"What would I be paid to do?"

Draconian

"Human things!" Sharlee said, flashing him a smile while he helped clean her wrists. There would be bruises later. They hurt to bend but luckily for her, they looked worse than they felt and she brought her cleaned wrist up to examine the damage, giving a quiet little sigh.

Chastising herself for being so foolish. Usually she wasn't so stupid. Usually.

"You'd be paid to... Protect me and Doeshe. You could travel with us and I would pay you when we got to towns and villages." Slowly she tucked a chunk of dark purple hair behind her delicately pointed ear and tilting her head to try and smile at him, "And along the way we could... Try to find a way to get you home?" Of course, this was Sharlee assuming he lived here and he'd just lost his memory of where he was from.

"Are you from Adela? Maybe Serendipity?"

Zero

Paid for protection.

Well Gregori supposed that would make sense. After all, they had met because he had come to protect her. It had not occurred to him that he might extend that protection beyond killing those bandits. From her point of view having some hired protection might seem like a very good idea. He wasn't sure how he felt about being paid to be a guardian, though.

Not that he ever knew how he felt about anything.

"I can stay with you for now. If it will make you feel better to have me." The fallen angel felt that Sharlee would probably get over her current emotional state sooner or later and dismiss him. Not that he minded being told to leave.

Gregori didn't want her help finding a way home. There was no way for her to help him. It would be a waste of both their time. Not that he could explain that to her. He couldn't even explain it to himself fully. If only he could remember what he'd done wrong. The concept of home wasn't even concrete. He just knew that he wanted to go back to home. Home was nothingness.

"The village that I woke up in was in Serendipity, but I know that is not home." In a way, maybe it was. After all, he had felt the place was somehow familiar to him as he'd sat confused in those ruins, but it was an unsettling feeling, not welcoming.

Draconian

The relief that washed through Sharlee surprised even her. Not noticing how much she needed the company. Or the protection. Was she really that rattled? A moment to consider that yes, yes she was. While most people she'd met on her travels were nice, this time... This time she could have been sold as an exotic pet to someone human in Essyrn. Could have been... Mentally broken and sold to a whore house.

The idea made her shiver and she stared down at her fingers, at the red raw wrists. At the mans hands as he helped to wipe away the blood. It was panic that pulsed through her chest and before she realized it her eyes were hot with tears and she ducked her head down to hide her face.

"It really would make me feel better," She gasped out, quickly drawing in a breath and biting her lip to keep from crying out. Where had this come from? There was a surprised laugh and she brought her free hand up to wipe at the tears on her cheeks. When was the last time she'd let herself cry? Forever ago. The man probably didn't want to deal with her crying and she rose her head to take deep calming breaths.

"I... Guess I thought a bit too much about what could have happened to me if..." A quick little breath, a momentary pause while she kept her face stoic - or as stoic as she could, "If you hadn't come along... I'd have be sold. A slave. Probably turned into a whore. Doeshe would... Be dead." Closing her eyes, she placed her hand over one of his, gave it a squeeze.

"I'm in your debt. I... I'll help you the best I can. I promise."

Zero

"Then I will stay." It was a simple thing, and simple words spoken softly. Gregori wished to go home, but until he figured out where that was and what he needed to do to get there he had nowhere else to go. Until he knew where to go, perhaps it would be good to align himself with Sharlee. She was an innocent person, he could tell. Surely protecting her was a good and right thing to do.

Too bad he didn't know how to really comfort someone, because he could tell she was still quite upset over the whole thing. Gregori could tell that much. Not only from the tears, but the way she was breathing.

Sharlee's wrists were cleared of blood. He wondered if perhaps they should be wrapped in some kind of bandage. Gregori almost didn't pay attention to her words, but he stared at her hand that squeezed his. What gesture was this? Was it an attempt to give or receive comfort? He wasn't sure, so he looked up into her face, deep blue eyes confused and a little concerned.

"Don't worry about me. I will find my home sooner or later. Are you alright?  You aren't hurt anywhere else, are you?" Not really sure if he was doing the right thing, but feeling like he should be doing something, Gregori turned the hand she had been squeezing and brought his other hand up to encase her smaller hand with both of his. "You are very brave for screaming for help, and if you really need to cry, you shouldn't hold it in."

Not that he would ever take such advice for himself. It had been rather disconcerting the first time he had cried. Gregori still didn't know why the salty water came from his eyes. They simply wet his cheeks when he woke some mornings.

Draconian

The helpful words suggesting she cry had the exact opposite effect.

Sharlee smiled.

While the tears still wet her cheeks and she ducked her head down to hide her face.

"Thank you, Gregori." She whispered, wiping at her face before she lifted her head and took a deep breath, "I think I'll be fine. I wasn't hurt anywhere else. Just... Be sore I guess once I rest." Looking around the modest camp, glad that it hadn't be ransacked - they probably hadn't even thought to look for it. A little elf woman and a dragon? They wanted to sell 'em now.

A silver lining, she supposed.

"Are you hungry? I... I can get you something. And then..." She looked towards the lone bed roll, frowning slightly, "You can rest? If you like."

Zero

More gratitude, and Sharlee was smiling. Gregori assumed that he had done the right thing. Perhaps he was getting better at these interactions. He actually smiled at her. For a moment. Then the expression faded as he looked around as well, mostly mimicking her, although he didn't really understand the frown at the sight of the bedroll.

Instead he stood up and stretched, kneeling for so long had made his body sore and stiff. Human bodies were so high maintenance. She had reminded him about food.

"Yes, I am hungry. A meal and sleep will do both of us good." He thought a good night's rest might help relieve even more of the young woman's anxiety over her earlier ordeal. For him it would mean replenishing his strength. That partial and insanely brief transformation had exhausted him.

"Do you need my help with anything?" He wasn't sure if there would be any cooking involved. Gregori wasn't exactly a chef, but he could at least do rookie assistant work.

Draconian

A meal and sleep.

Sharlee didn't feel like making a whole meal. Instead she crawled towards one of the bags around the little camp and pulled out a pouch of dried meat. Another had some bread. "It's not a feast but... It should fill your stomach." Her voice was soft and self conscious while she presented the jerky and bread before cutting a few slices off.

"I... Do trading." Sharlee started, "I travel a lot so sometimes I find neat or rare things. Or wanted things." Clearing her throat again, "Doeshe gets to carry most of it. There's.... Um...." Sharlee gave another look around, "wine? But no cups. If you'd like some."

Zero

"What is a feast?" Gregori asked as he took the offered food. Since his awakening he had spent most of his time on the road, searching. A meal to him was bread and dried meat. Occasionally he had been given fruit, like the apples, and a couple times he had eaten soup in an inn.

He took his meal back to where he had set his back and settled down, chewing thoughtfully on a bite of bread while Sharlee told him what she did. Gregori hadn't had a lot of interaction with traders, but he sort of understood what she was saying. Traveling with a trader could prove to be interesting. Maybe he could learn some things. If he was going to be stuck as a mortal for an undetermined amount of time he probably should attempt to gather more knowledge.

"I've never had wine. What is it?" There had been mead and ale served at the inns, but he had not drunk it. The priestess had given him tea sometimes, but mostly he drank water when he was thirsty.

Draconian

What an odd question.

Sharlee thoughtfully chewed at the piece of meat she ripped from the jerky and wondered on how to explain that. "A feast is... Where lots of people gather together and eat lots of food. And there's... Lots of left overs. Usually it's for parties or festivals." Licking her lips she swallowed her mouthful and smiled slightly at him, chewing gently on her bottom lip.

Never had wine before? Her eyebrows shot up her forehead but she smiled all the same. Rifling through a bag she pulled out a bottle, chilled from the air and being outside. Taking it and shuffling back towards Gregori she placed the bottle down. "It's... Wine. Fermented grapes, mostly I think. It's an acquired taste, sometimes when I'm feeling fancy I find a cup and drink it with my dinner." Pulling the bottle back and standing on her knees, "Would you like a sip? This one is from some Fae in Serendipity, they make the sweetest wine."

Zero

A festival...with feasting.

Flashes of memories danced in front of his eyes, and for just a moment he wasn't in the forest with Sharlee, he was in the town square, the laughing, dancing, music, drinking, and feasting...

Gregori raised a hand to lightly touch his temple, the imagines had been there and gone in a moment, and holding onto them was like trying to catch water with his bare hands. They slipped through the cracks in his memory and were gone again, fading back to unconsciousness. Yes, he thought he knew what a feast was now.

Shaking it off, he stared at the bottle that his young companion had fished out of her belongings. Gregori didn't know what grapes or fermented meant either, so understanding was still eluding him.

"If you don't mind, I guess I would like to try it." At least if he did he would better know what it was.

Draconian

Sharlee didn't miss the hand to his temple but she stayed silent.

The hesitant agreement to try the wine had her smile ever so slightly. Carefully she uncorked it and frowned slightly before she remembered bowls also could double as cups. Taking a wooden bowl she held it carefully and poured a few mouthfuls into it, handing it to Gregori slowly.

"Don't drink it all in one gulp."

Then she proceeded to gulp down a bit from the wine bottle.

After the day she'd had, a nice little buzz would help her sleep. Sharlee lowered the bottle and made a face after swallowing, though she looked content.

Zero

Gregori truly had no idea what to expect when he took the bowl of wine. Although watching Sharlee gulp it and make a face had him looking down at the liquid somewhat warily. What exactly was it? Why drink it if you made a face like that?

Really only one way to find out.

Letting out a puff of breath, almost a sigh, he brought the bowl to his lips and took his first sip of alcohol. The angel immediately grimaced and coughed a little. He didn't have much experience with sweet, but there was an undercurrent of burning that caught him completely off guard. Now he really wasn't sure why humans drank it.

Although after a few moments, rolling his tongue around in his mouth and really considering the drink, it didn't taste bad. The burning sensation was strange, but was already beginning to fade. He brought the bowl back up and drank the rest of what had been given to him.

That burning sensation wasn't nearly as bad the second time, and he could appreciate the flavor more. He stared down at the empty bowl, his expression genuinely puzzled as if unsure of what to make of any of it. "I've never had anything like this. The first mouthful burns, but the second one lets you taste the sweet and doesn't burn. Do people drink this wine a lot?"

Of course he had no idea to the affects of alcoholic beverages like wine.

Draconian

Taking a breath, Sharlee turned ever so slightly and pushed her hair over her shoulder. Long undone from her braid, she watched him drink the wine with a small smile on her face.

"Sometimes. When I'm at home I might have a glass with dinner," Home being a house in Serendipity. While she didn't look it currently - raw red wrists and travel worn clothes - she lived well when she wasn't traveling. Overtaken by wanderlust was why she did it, there was no need for money. There was a need for adventure and travel.

"Or when you've had a really bad day. It... Makes you tingly." She pushed a hand to her head, "In your head. It makes you feel better. Numb, I guess." One last gulp from the wine bottle and she eyed Gregori and his bowl, "Would you like some more before I put it away?"

Zero

So wine wasn't something to drink all the time, like water, or tea. At least Sharlee didn't drink it all the time. Gregori pondered what she told him about what the wine could do to your head and decided she was probably right not to drink lots of it. The bowl was held up for more.

"Just a little, please. I don't know if I like the idea of my head being...tingly." His mind was hazy enough as it was. Going numb wasn't really something he was prepared to try. Although feeling better sounded nice. So far his experience as a human hadn't exactly left him feeling all that great. The aches, the pains, the hunger, thirst, heat, cold...

"After I finish eating would you like me to remain awake to keep watch?" He could probably sleep and still be alerted if danger approached. Gregori had a decent sense of when something was amiss.

Draconian

Pouring just a bit more into his bowl - Sharlee smiled to herself for her lack of cups - she corked the wine bottle again and put it away. One less thing to trade. Frowning at her things she considered just... Going home. Maybe that would be best. Turn around and go home. Gregori didn't need to know he was just going to escourt her home.

Go the long way.

Sharlee rubbed at her hands after putting the bottle of wine away and she blinked at him. A tilt of her head, looking over her shoulder at the sleeping dragon.

"Doeshe would wake up. He's not very... Aware of danger during the day, but when unfamiliar people approach the camp he's noisy enough." In the squirmy whiny someone has come to visit way. Gregori didn't need to know that though. Mostly people were just scared of Doeshe.

Sharlee smiled again before she moved over to the dragon, shoving his legs around so she could curl up against him. A brief look at her before he rolled over onto his back to present his much softer underbelly.

"You can have the bedroll," She said softly, smiling at Gregori, "I'll sleep on Mr.Squishy here," She poked his side, Doeshe gave a grunt, looked at her again before promptly resuming sleep.

Zero

It hardly mattered to a fallen angel where they were going. After all, if Gregori didn't know how to return home, then what difference did it make if they were following a trade route or returning to Sharlee's place of residence? Either could help him on his way, or neither might. Only time could tell.

Regardless, there wasn't much on his mind as he enjoyed sipping the remainder of his wine. Already he was understanding more what she had told him about the drink. There was a warmth spreading through him, starting from his stomach. It was actually kind of pleasant. Maybe he would find a chance to drink it again.

For now, he watched Sharlee curiously as he finished eating and watched her go to curl up against the dragon. His eyes flickered to the bedroll with confusion.

"You don't need to give me that. I will sleep as I usually do." Which was on the ground, wrapped up in his cloak and using his pack as a rather uncomfortable pillow. Indeed, he stretched out and did just that. "Good night, Sharlee."

Draconian

By the time the birds were chirping from the gentle beams of sunlight, Sharlee was curled up in a ball on the ground, Doeshe mysteriously missing from behind her.

Instead, the large dragon had curled up on the bedroll and he was snoring happily. All four feet in the air, mouth open, tail curled around the tree the pillow was against. A crack of a twig woke Sharlee up, purple eyes snapping open, panic setting in through her chest. Slowly she rose up from her position on the ground, her side numb and looked up to see...

A deer.

Sharlee didn't sigh in relief like she wanted to but she moved carefully, rising to her knees and extending her hand to the deer. A curious sniff at her hand and Sharlee smiled brightly.

Of course, Doeshe gave a loud snort and the deer bolted.

"Doeshe," Sharlee glared over the dragon, "You scared her away."

Doeshe opened his eyes, still upside down and gave her a dragony grin, his tongue lolling out of his mouth where he lay. The other person at the camp gave her a start and Sharlee stared for a moment before she remembered yesterday, looking down at her wrists. Being as quiet as she could - in case her guest was still sleeping- she began to pack up the camp, intent on going home.

Zero

Gregori had fallen asleep within minutes of laying down. He had started the night stretched out on his back with his head propped up on his pack and his cloak wrapped around him, but by morning the man was curled up on his side, still wrapped in his cloak, but one arm was under his head like a pillow.

Doeshe moving in the night hadn't disturbed him, and neither did the deer or Sharlee.

The smoke was thick, his eyes and lungs and lips burned. He couldn't breathe, it was choking, and all around him, the screaming.

Hands clapped over his ears. Had to drown out the screaming. It was so loud. So many voices.

Crying, begging, sobbing, and shouting.

Everywhere he turned the flames, the faces contorting in agony as they burned.

No. No. No. No.

Everything was wrong. This was wrong. Why was this happening? Why would it never stop?

Blood. Blood everywhere. It was splattered on his face, his clothes...his hands were dripping with crimson.

Who's blood? Not his.

Daddy.

Gregori jerked awake with a gasp, eyes looking around frantically for...he didn't know what. Panic faded to confusion and he put his face in his trembling hands as he composed himself. It must have been the dream again, but he could never remember when he woke up. The memories were so close, so very frustratingly just out of his reach.

He knew it was important that he remember, but he just couldn't.

Tags: