Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Diamonds of Night

Started by Lion, September 22, 2015, 04:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

[Tags to @Parkway ]

Noble fools.  They ought to know better than think they could pass through these lands with impunity.  However, those of blue blood rarely considered that there might actually be repercussions to their actions.  Their regalia was obvious, blatantly flaunting the guardsmen in their shining armor, sterling weapons, some grim faced and others stony, resolute in their duty to protect this caravan.

Fools the lot of them.

Theiryk had followed them unseen as they made their way through the hidden path within the Draconi Forest.  Travel off the main roads was never easy.  And it seemed, despite their regalia, the men on the carriage were keen to keep too many people from knowing they were coming through.  Theiryk figured they were just trying to avoid highwaymen, most of which preyed on the main roads.

Perhaps they assumed they could handle any stragglers that would attempt to intercept their cargo.  And at the speed they were going, they didn’t aim to be stopped.  That was until a voice rang out for them to do just that.  “I can’t!  I can’t take it anymore!  Stop!” said the shrill voice of one of them passengers residing on the front carriage.

With a shriek, the horses were pulled back sharply, screeching the caravan to a halt, the other men on board jerking their head in surprise as the man fumbled with the door and stumbled out of the carriage.  He was followed by one of the guards, motioned by another to keep an eye on him.

The nobleman held his hands to his mouth and puked off to the side of the path.  “I can’t…take those goddamned sharp turns.  Stop…stop going so fast, Remis!” he hacked, puking more.

“Stop being so damn soft, Jens!” Remis griped at the buckboard, sitting beside the driver and rolling his eyes.  “Now stop puking your guts out, man up, and get in the carriage!  We’re on a very tight schedule!”

Theiryk watched Jens move closer to the carriage.  They wouldn’t be going anywhere any time soon.  Not if the Wild Elf had anything to do with it.  And just when the carriage was about to get moving again, Theiryk stood in the middle of the road, bow at the ready, arrow strung back and taut.  The guards immediately held out their weapons, two archers atop the carriage, pointing their own arrows at the elf.

Theiryk was unmoved, however.  Watching them with cold eyes, his face drawn.  “You’ll never fire them in time, you know,” he said levelly.  “Get out.  Now.”

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Parkway

Lauraiiel had followed the caravan for the last two day!  Ah Nobles they were such easy prey! 

-----Several weeks earlier

Lauraiiel woke up with a dry mouth and a pounding head.  What happened last night?  She rolled over and noticed her underclothes on the bed post, what the...  Realizing she was naked she shot up looking to see if she was alone! Thanks be to gold she was. But oh she should not have done so much drink her head pounded ferociously.  "Oh Gods" she presses her hand to her head trying to remember what happened but she can't it hurts too much to think...  Mead, some dancing, a fair-haired human; half completed images that's all?  She cannot remember the last time mead affected her like this... No it never has before she is sure she would remember feeling like this... Water need water...  Oh she was hurting.  She could throw back mead as well as anyone maybe have a slight headache the next morning but not this she felt like a Giant clubbed her.  No memory...  Well whatever took place was not even a memory now!  It must have been one wild night by the looks of the room.   Standing up she balances herself on the bedside table she needed some water.

Taking her linens and pulling them on she slowly walks to the desk her head feels like it will explode!  Damn, what time is it...?

------> Present day Draconi Forest

What?  Who?  Where the???  There stood an elf he was challenging the caravan!  Her caravan!  She pulled her arrow and dipped it in the poison.  Pulling her bow she aimed from the brush.  With a soft swoosh her arrow flew.  It hit one of the nobles sitting on the caravan, but not to kill.  her poison was of a sleep remedy.  it hit his shoulder. 

Her voice nothing more than a sweet whisper.   "It would be wise to listen to him.  You will never leave here alive if you don't"

In a moment of truth she decided it best to ally herself with the rouge elf.  Even sharing the loot with him would still make a good coin turn.

Lion

[Making minor assumptions here.  If you need me to fix them, no worries.]

Theiryk's eyes widened in alarm at the sudden flight of another arrow.  He tensed, muscles ready to bolt as he saw the guards also tense and suddenly shout.  Jens yelped at the arrow embedded into his arm, one guard shooting his arrow wildly into the trees.

Only to miss completely at the target that appeared abruptly by the side of the road.  Theiryk suddenly felt very threatened, cornered, even as the newcomer seemed to side with...him?  Well, this was certainly unexpected.

For fear of freezing, he kept his cool, aiming his arrow at one of the guards and letting it fly, just when an archer upon the carriage was about to fire at the woman on the road.  This arrow was not dipped with any sleep remedy, but its flight and entry into the archer's neck was enough to frighten the man beside him.  The first archer croaked, falling back.

The second archer fired without reservation.  Theiryk moved with a gust of wind.  And the wind did listen.  He leapt up , narrowly avoiding the arrow and landing on the buckboard.  And knocking the driver aside, and striking the second archer fiercely in the temple.  In the same stroke, Theiryk's bow was knocked again, this time against the neck of the nobleman that had been huddled on the driver's seat.

Remis trembled, even with what remained of the contingent of guards that followed.  "You're a fool," he hissed.  "A stupid, blind fool!"

"And you'll be dead!" Theiryk replied, only flickering his eyes for a moment to meet that of the newcomer's  "You, take the chest from the back."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Parkway

(No worries I like what you did... and I am pretty easy...I also pulled out two of your sentence to incorporate into my post)

Lauraiiel smiled he was fast!  He also seemed to get the picture she was here to assist.  Maybe they could both profit from the nobles arrogance.  She quickly reloaded. Aiming for the other guard her next arrow flew catching him in the calf.  It was then she saw him in action!  The elf was skilled.  He quickly had the  nobles under control. 

Next thing she heard was Remis trembling a bit as he tried his bravado.  "You're a fool," he hissed.  "A stupid, blind fool!"

She smiled as the elf sneered at the weak man.  "And you'll be dead!" Theiryk replied, only flickering his eyes for a moment to meet that of the newcomer's  "You, take the chest from the back." 

She nodded and acted as if he was her leader of sorts.  "Yes sir, right away."  She winked at him and hopped over to the back.  The wares were of no use really.  Too cumbersome she...er...they  only wanted that chest.  She tossed a few pleats to the side, woven baskets, where was it!  She never looked up in her searching to check on the other elf something just told her he wouldn't harm her...yet. 

There it was!  She retrieved the chest.  It was heavy and that made her smile evilly.  "Got it!  Let's go?"  She scrambled to the edge deftly jumping to the ground.  Looking to check where he was and trying to catch his eye she nodded in the direction she was going to head off into.  "This way?" 

Lion

It was safe to say that Theiryk did not trust this stranger.  Something about them was off.  Or perhaps he was simply falling back on old instincts.  And considering where he'd been, his instincts rarely ever betrayed him.  Theiryk was wary of this woman that seemed so eager to go about ransacking this carriage. Maybe she was using him as a distraction, only to take the chest for herself.

If that was her aim, she had another thing coming.  Theiryk did not surrender treasure so easily to any so-called associate simply because they felt they earned it.  He would be the judge of that, wouldn't he?

Her help however, was in the moment valuable nevertheless.  The guards were subdued, and the noblemen surrendered.  He itched to knock one aside a few times, simply to hear them squeal, but thought better of it.  Better to take their possessions and be gone than allow them to formulate a plan of attack.

Once the other woman retrieved the chest, Theiryk moved swiftly overtop the carriage roof, pulling a bloody arrow from the dead archer's neck.  There was no use leaving behind good arrows.  He dropped to the rear of the carriage, running to catch up with the strange woman.  She moved quickly, and with every step they left the caravan behind.

Theiryk remained on his guard once they were a safe distance away.  "This way," he insisted, jerking his head in a direction that would divert them from the main road and further conceal their presence, should any guards decide to give chase. 

When he felt safe enough, he dropped his half of the weighted chest, one corner of it, plopping dully into the ground.  "And just who do you think you are?" he said brashly. 

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

(I hope it is okay that I mentioned his ears.  I did double check the character sheet it didn't say they were kept covered. But if you want I can edit it.)

He jerked his head and indicated the course.  She immediately followed.  They traveled in silence.  Which was fine for Lauraiiel.  It gave her time to study him without being questioned.  His ears?  They were disfigured, nay massacred!  Who could have done such a sacrilegious act!  Her own were a sense of pride.  She knew they were longer then most her kind.  His ash colored hair fell long and gave him a roguish appearance.  He began to slow down and she did too.

His brash demand made her smirk.  Think?  Think?  She chuckled softly and she too had dropped her side of the trunk.  "I have no need to think who I am...for I know who I am!"  She made a dramatic act of doing a mocked curtsy for him.  "I am Lauraiiel.  And whom do I have the pleasure of meeting this day?"  She raised her and still using a teasing type of tone added.  "For now I beat you think I need share what is in the chest with you?  Right?  Even though I tracked them these last two nights!"  She walked to the front of the chest and a smile crossed her lips.  "Now what do you say we open it and divvy up the loot?" 

She took a step back and pulled her long bright hair back.  She pulled a leather strap and tied her hair back.  "If it is as much as is seems maybe we celebrate?!"  Her eyes were shining.  She chanced a look at him...so serious.  Was he also so serious?  The nobles would never find them yet he seemed annoyed or distrustful.  Had she not helped?   Even though he spoiled her plans.  It made her stop.  Look into his cold gaze.  She asked in barely a whisper.  "Who are you?"

Lion

What in the Wild's name was wrong with this woman?  Was she touched in the head? Oh she must be to be so casual about things such as this? She probably went around trusting boulders not to fall on her or the lightning not to strike at her.  Persumptuous that life would somehow go her way.

Perhaps he was just getting ahead of himself.  He wasn't going to come to a conclusion without gauging her properly first.  But he was certain of one thing, she was definitely dropped on the head as a whelp.

He didn't answer the question of his name.  Better she didn't know, not that he had any intention of running into her again.  She was exactly laid out in his best laid plans. 

"You're willing to share loot you've been tracking for two days?" he said in clear disbelief.  As skeptical as he was, he didn't quite toss the notion out immediately.  "You are definitely touched in the head."  And at that he laughed.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

His laughter was queer.  Not quite humorous.  She wondered if he was just being cautious.  He didn't really know her.  As she knew nothing of the battle worn elf.  She let his questions fall.  He had not answered her.

"Your name?"  She tilted her head a bit and just looked at him.  Her voice soft and a little wispy.  The tone you would use on a small frightened child or animal.  "If you believe me touched in the head then it should make no mind as to what your name is?  For I may not recall it in an hour when we go our separate ways?" 

Straightening up some she heaved a sigh.  "Besides elf what would you have me do?  Try to duel you for it?  I am no fool.  It is obvious you know these trees much better then I.  So surely I would come to harm or worse.  I would rather share the loot and keep my skin intact.  But if you are so greedy to have it all then just say the word wood warrior and I will take up my arms."  As she spoke the softness left her voice and a cool distant tone was inflected.  As she thought to herself.  Why me!  I had those fools!  Now I have to convince this wild beast I am sane!  Look at him if anyone is touched in the head it is definitely him.  Her eyes remained on him but her emotions were turned off.  Her smile never reached them.

"Well my leaf elf what shall it be?  Duel or share?"  She made no move for her weapon.  She made no move at all.  Honor among thieves she reflected.

Lion

He hadn't realized it, but he'd been crossing his arms over his chest.  Theiryk had little patience to begin with and he certainly didn't appreciate the games this woman seemed keen on playing.  By her expression it seemed nothing more than a stroll in the woods.  He burned with irritation, and hated that her coolness was getting the better of him.  So he relaxed, uncrossing his arms and glancing toward the chest.

She was still touched in the head though.

"Theiryk," he said quickly. 

And bent down to inspect the chest.  He was not so eager as she to open it.  Surely it was heavy, but it could just as likely bear something nefarious as it could the unimaginable treasures his newfound acquaintance envisioned.  He inspected the carvings on it, noting the gilded lions in the corners, the claw-shaped locks, and the heraldic crest at its center, a bird of prey, rather than a lion, flying with claws outstretched.

"One wonders if the chest is just as valuable if not more than what resides within, considering all the tomfoolery that went into making it."  He grumbled and glanced up at Lauraiiel.  "Care to do the honors?" At least if there was something deadly inside, it'd kill her first.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Her eyes narrowed.  What game was he playing and how long was he intending to do so?  She inhaled and closed her eyes.  So no dual!  Good, she was no fool he was faster then she and this was his home.  Even if she lived it would not have been a pretty battle.  She rather enjoyed living and wished not to see it end at the hands of the battle worn elf.  As she had come to think of him.

"Theiryk.   Lovey to meet you my fellow kinsmen."  She kneed next to him as he inspected the chest.  She noted the carvings and her own thoughts mimicked his words.  "Yes, one should wonder this."  She whispered.  Her hands caressed the chest as if it was a precious stone itself as if to convey the message.  "If you wish for me to.  But, please stand back I do not wish to be hit with a spell trap."  With that the elven women stood back and began to cast a ward.  Her hand began to glow a pinkish hue.  She placed the light shield which formed in front of them and what appeared to be an extension of her hand reached to the lock flipping it.  Next she slowly lifted the chest lid.  She retracted her illuminated hand and winked at Theiryk.  "Give it a moment the shield will dissolve of its own accord." 

Lauraiiel looked at the elf again.  She was drawn to his ears.  Shaking her head she chuckled to herself and mumbled...leave it be Lau...just leave it be.

Lion

Well, shit.

As much as Theiryk would have delighted on seeing her get zapped, it was a mild relief to see she bore enough foresight to deal with potential disaster.  At least where the lock was concerned.  He watched her with interest as she warded the chest, opening it as if by a telekinetic force.  Her magic was strange to him.  Nothing like his own.

Wild Elves lived in harmony with the spirit of their home.  For the forest was alive, thrumming with energy, with power, wild and free, untapped and unchanged for centuries.  Mortals would be long gone, and that spirit would remain, thriving long past ages of fire and steel. 

He didn't give heed to her watching him.  Though he felt her eyes upon him.  He moved forward when the magic dissipated at last, and his eyes widened at the amount of sacks of gold that resided within.  "Fucking hell..." he breathed and reached in to slowly pull out a bag, testing its weight.  "Funny.  Doesn't feel like coin."

Unfurling a knot, Theiryk poured out the contents into his palm.  "Whoah...these look like diamonds to you too, right?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Lauraiiel could not believe her eyes!  She looked at the chest!  He was right and if she could find her voice she would have mimicked his sentiment!  Her brows furrowed when he said it didn't feel like coin and this had her a little concerned...at first.  When Theriyk opened the pouch and poured the stones into his palm even she found her voice!  "Fucking hell!  the mother load of diamonds!"

She felt like her heart was beating from her chest.  Without thinking it was instinct really she reached for his arm and clasped it.  But quickly released it.  "What in all that breathes light!  I have never seen so many diamonds at once!  They are diamonds Theiryk!  They are!"

"Check another one Theriky."  She said.  "Let's see what we have."  Her eyes were glassy.  So many thoughts swirling around her mind.

Lion

It was too good to be true.  It had to be.  Or perhaps Theiryk was too busy mulling over the misfortune of his own life to even envision such a thing could happen to him.  To them, rather.  Right, this Lauraiiel person was still here.  And likely would be for a while.  Theiryk knew the great risk of lugging around such a fancy chest.  They were difficult to conceal in any reasonable manner that didn't involve dirt, a spade, and several hours of digging.

Better to take what they could carry and move on. Still, Theiryk couldn't yet trust his eyes.

So he opened up anither bag at Lauraiiel's direction.  And out poured small well-cut sapphire crystals.  "This is the motherload indeed," Theiryk said, slipping the sapphires back into the sack and knotting it closed.  They could be here well into the night to sort through it all.

"But how can we know these are real?" he wentnon, stating the obvious.  "I say we get them checked out.  Look, I know we don't know each other.  But you wanna split the loot?  Fine.  But we get it appraised first.  If it's real, you'll get your half and that'll be that.  I know someone that can take a look at these."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

"You do!"  A look of relief crossed her face.  "To be sure this is my first time in this area.  It would be most beneficial too."  Her comments choppy.  Almost as if she was thinking aloud.  "Where is your friend?  Is this one far and if so where shall we safely hide this stash?  I do not plan on leaving any of this for another to profit from."  Her voice lowering.  Her eyes darting now concerned if they where in a safe spot.

"Theiryk?"  She was still on her knees in front of the chest.  "I know you do not know me, nor I you.  But, but...We are not leaving this behind!  None of it.  This will be spilt between us and if they turn out not to be real well I have no problems selling them to a fool and still spiting to gain.  But I won't let this go."  She reached again for his arm and held it tightly her eyes not leaving his.

Lion

First time!?  Oh she had to be kidding him!  And to think he went along with giving her his name at all, when instead he should've knocked her aside, and taken the chest and would've been long gone before she could wake up.  But the die was cast and here he was offering up contacts that should otherwise remain under wraps.

Not that the appraiser would mind the extra business.

He eyed her warily still, listening intently and when she grabbed his arm, he stiffened and used his other hand to carefully pry her hand from his.  "Hold on a moment.  One step at a time."  Theiryk sighed, and tied the bags all up again, knotting them securely.

"He isn't far, no.  But he wouldn't come out all this way to look for a bunch of jewels in the middle of a forest.  He doesn't go much anywhere outside his little hamlet.  We need to take the jewels to him.  But we can't just walk around with a chest now can we?  People like to take things that look shiny and can be sneakily tucked away in his pocket."

Theiryk ran his hand along the suede lining of the inside of the chest.  "It's ...not an ideal hiding place but I think if we hide it up instead of down...that might give us better chances.  People don't look up as often."  And he met her gaze then.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

He removed her hand from his arm in such a way she never noticed.  As he continued to explain his ideas to her.  Their eyes holding each other.  Lauraiiel was chewing her lower lip.  When he suggested hiding the chest up instead of down; she did a double take.  Up?!?  Now who was the crazy one?  She didn't say anything right off holding her hand up in a silent request for a moment. 

She stood and paced a few times.  He had a point she reasoned.  No one would look up!  But they would notice freshly turned soil.  A dead giveaway that something good was lurking below.  Turning once more she stopped and looked up into the trees.  Then back at him.  Was he one of those Wild Elves?  He did not appear to be for one thing he was down here and not up there.  Her eyes narrowed who was this elf?

Clearing her thoughts she sighed and instantly put her mask of pleasantness on her face.  Blinking a few times a grin spreading slowly.  "I like it!  Yes hide it up instead of down."  She looked up again then back at him.  "How do we manage this feat?"  She looked up again and then around the area.  She saw it a low ebbing branch. 

"Theiryk!  Look!"  She pointed towards it.  "We could possibly begin hauling it up over there.  If it is too much we can empty our satchels and place the goods in there and carry the chest up empty?" She looked at him and tilted her head grin still in place.

Lion

Theiryk nodded up to the place where she indicated.  It was as good a place as any.  "Up to the trees, of course," he said, standing and moving over to observe the canopy above. Being this deep in the Draconi Forest gave ample shade to their current location.  Theiryk's ears twitched and he looked around to make sure they were truly alone.  No sounds, just the braying of a stag nearby.

He turned back to the trunk and closed the lid.  "Follow me.  I can get it up there," he said.  Theiryk lifted the heavy chest and  looked back to the perch she referred to before.  With a running leap, Theiryk summoned wind to carry him up into the base of the branches, securing the chest above.

"Jump and give me your hand," he said, holding his arms outstretched.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Lauraiiel nodded to him as the lid snapped shut.  But she was unprepared for what she witnessed next.  It was as if he floated up.  Yes, he ran but if her own eyes did not just see him leap one would be hard pressed to explain it.  She quickly cane to her senses and tried to keep up.  HA! Easier said then done.

His offer was readily accepted.  How could she not?  There was no way she was going to make it.  His outstretched arm guided her up effortlessly.  She is slender but he was holding the chest as well.  Lauraiiel could feel his strength.  She tried to balance herself.   But this was the first time she had ever climbed a tree!  yes she was quite certain of this.  She clutched at him as her footing was not secure.

"Uh...Thanks...Oh!  Theiryk please don't let go!"  She felt vulnerable and did not like it one bit.  She hated being that helpless damsel.  So gritting her teeth, "At least let me just get my balance. Climbing trees is a little new to me."  The false bravado in her voice didn't fool her and she was sure he could tell.  She hated this situation.  But for now she needed him.   

Lion

Theiryk was not frightened if dropping her, but if her grip on his hand was not secure she would surely fall and break something, possibly.  He hoisted her up into the tree, until she was in the base along with him.  Theiryk released her at last.  "Climbing is easy.  Just don't look down.  Keep your eyes on me, and keep going."

This was all the instruction he would give her before hoisting the chest up against his chest and walking along a thicker branch to a higher tree just above him.  His sense of balance was secure, second nature to his breed and be climbed up into the second tier, up again, securing the chest in the boughs.

"This should be high enough," he said, helping her up a second time.  "Look, how about we take a few sacks with us, some samples.  And leave the rest up here. This way, if they are real, we can venture back and take the rest."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

She scrambled behind him.  Glad she had chosen not to fight him for the cart earlier.  Clearly he would have had the advantage.  Some may say she was a fool but Lauraiiel always prided herself with understanding her weaknesses in a battle.  She full well knew when she could be bested.  Hadn't she been taught to keep ones enemy close. 

He helped her a second time.  Again she scowled at herself.  Damn tree climbing!

"Yes, yes.  Good idea."  She dusted off her arms and shoulders.  She squatted down feeling her balance was better then when she stood fully.  She wasn't sure if he was going to accept the fact they would be forced to spend sometime together.  She watched as he secured the chest.  He could have a family.  He could be a loner.  Either way she was not leaving his side until everything was divided up.  "Grab a few for us both will you?"  trying not to look down as he instructed was harder then she had anticipated.  She found herself wanting to do it one then once.  "Well, where is this friend and how do we get there?  Please say we can travel below?"  She was not too keen with the idea of traveling through the trees.

Taking a deep breath she just said it.  It had to be done so better now then later.  "Theiryk I would think it best if we traveled together."  She waited for his reaction.  Her nose and lips squished.