Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Diamonds of Night

Started by Lion, September 22, 2015, 04:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

In that pursuit, dust carried upward in their wake.  Theiryk couldn't say he was fond of horses, but for what they were worth in a time like this, they could get them to their destination faster.  The cherry colored chestnut beneath him with a white badge on his head carried him eagerly, happy to be running instead of just lumbering along with a drunk bastard on his back.

Theiryk was thrilled to say the least, knowing it was only a matter of time before someone came in pursuit of them.  Horses weren't easy things to just hide away.  He held onto reins and when he saw the willow just up ahead, he turned hard and followed Lauraiiel through the trees.

"Where did they go!?" he heard a voice shout from behind them, catching up far quicker than he realized.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Parkway

She turned at just the right moment and kneaded the horse to move faster.  Riding a horse was second nature to her.  She rode them often in her youth but the last several years she had done more by foot.  Riding this horse made her want to keep it.  After a while she slowed and listened. 

Smiling she stopped the horse and dismounted.  She immediately went to work on the saddle.  She was nothing if not a master of concealing her tracks.  She removed the owners signa with her dagger and from her bag quickly affixed a new one.  She went into the saddle bags and nothing of value was in them so she tossed them to the floor and quickly carved a similar signa for Theiryk's horse. 

Looking up at him,  "Okay remove the saddlebags take anything you want but we need to cut it up.  Take off any markings of the previous owners." 

She didn't want to tell him what she was going to do about the two horses branding.  First the saddles and such then the hard part.

Lion

[I don't see why ruffians would brand a horse.  They're probably stolen anyway, or why they would have any kind of ownership insignia.  Just my two thoughts. ._.]

"They have nothing I need," Theiryk admitted and removed the saddlebags and the saddle and tossed them both into the bushes.  He didn't understand why she changed the tags on it.  But he didn't question it.  Horses were not his forte after all.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Parkway

(I was going with the thought that the horses were probably stolen to begin with.  So changing everything out would camouflage them at first site.  To change everything including the branding would eliminate others from thinking they originally stole the horses.)

She worked quickly.  Affixing the makeshift insignias.  She tossed the remaining shreds of the saddlebags she had and walked to the horses.  "Theiryk, you may not want to witness this.  I need to change the branding marks on each horse.  It isn't pleasant but it is necessary."

She quickly went back to work securing both horses to the trees and she used her power of light to change the branding on both horses.  It was painful but she did it a swiftly as she could not wanting to put either horse in further durest. 

"Done, let's get moving."  She remounted the horse and giving it a quick nudge urged it forward

Lion

[Fair enough xD]

Theiryk did watch the branding of the horses and found he did not like their screeching, their squealing, and more over the foolish pain they were put into.  He understood more than he would ever admit, and while he said nothing, he felt himself burn with anger from within. 

He said nothing to Lauraiiel, and just threw himself on top of the frantic animal, both of which seemed not so keen as to continue traveling with the pair now.  He did not understand her reasoning, but he was not inclined to question it.  Not when they were being pursued in any case.

He frowned and continued to move down the path.
And just then the resounding hoofbeats of their pursuers were right on them.  He nudged the horse beneath him to burst through the brush, speeding up and galloping until he was past Lauraiiel.  "Hurry!" he shouted, although he did not need to.

Arrows flew behind them, one whistled past his ear.  And suddenly, several ended up in the flank of Lauraiiel's horse.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Lauraiiel didn't respond.  She didn't need to. 

The horse now was injured.  This would put her at a disadvantage.   She pressed her head to the animal's neck and whispered softly to it. 
What was said was for her and the animal.  She let go of the reins and the horse still plowed forward.  Lauraiiel turned her body as the horse kept going.  She arched her bow and drew.  Her arrow flew through the air hitting one of the three men in the shoulder.  She quickly drew another.  They were catching up to her but this made it easier for her too hit them with a more deadly shot.  In fact her horse was purposely slowing down. 

"Theiryk..."  She couldn't see him so she wasn't sure if he had seen what happened. 

Her fingers began to glow.  Not from her magic.  As she let her arrows flew they became much more streamlined.  More accurate. 

Lion

And that accurate arrow struck deeply into Barmand's chest.  He yelped when the shot knocked him off his horse.  But there was little his companion could do when he rode onward.  Barmand was dead by the time he hit the ground, blood seeping out of him like a fountain.

"Lauraiiel!" Theiryk shouted.  He pulled the reins back on his horse, just enough to fall back far enough to reach her and when he was close enough his arm went around her waist.  The arrow that flew from her bow last nearly got Robb.  But he ducked and routed from the left.  A sword was pulled out  and swung with deadly force.

But the blade hacked instead the meaty flesh of the horse's flank.  And the animal reared back and collided with the beast beneath them.  It tumbled him off the horse and he rolled off to the ground hard.  Theiryk kept is arms around her as he pulled her into the saddle and sped away.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Lauraiiel felt like she was watching it happen and not participating.  He called to her then reached out and with his arms secured around her took off.  He pulled her and easily put her in the saddle she held onto him tightly and soon she could only hear their hoof beats.

Theiryk didn't slow down for a bit.  He kept the pace and weaved through the path.  She was better with her swords not the arrow.  Yet it hit the mark like she was an expert bowmen.  Her fingers still tingled. 

She rested her head on his back and held tightly.  Even when the horse slowed she gripped Theiryk like her life depended on it.  She whispered to him..."I'm scared Theiryk."  But is was said low so she didn't know if he heard it.  At the same time she felt her most vulnerable. 

Lion

But Theiryk kept riding, not having heard the whisper to following his instincts to flee.  He knew that taking the horses would be risky, but all of this had happened so fast.  What should have been a quick and easy escape turned into a bloody mess, and they lost half their quarry.  He hated having to rely on anyone but himself.  And he knew Lauraiiel felt the same.

But if he hadn't been here, she would have died.  And likely vice versa had their places been reversed.  He kept riding until the horse beneath him was starting to run out of steam.

He turned deep into the trees now, the greenery giving them proper cover.

"Lauraiiel," he panted, the horse slowing down and puffs of steam emerging in heavy breaths.  "Are you all right?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

The wind whipped at her face her hair flowing as the horse plowed ahead.  She didn't speak again as now was not the time.  The horses muscles moved fluidly beneath them.  She was impressed that it net so far before slowing. 

She thought of the horse left behind.  She had whispered in its ear hoping it would go in the direction she had instructed.  But she was not connected to animals as Mufre was so she had no way to know if it would go where she sent it.  Cursing herself for not learning that skill from him.  If it did, the horse would find its way to an Clan of Mountain Elves, whom would take that horse and make it as whole as they could. 

The one they rode was panting.  She stroked it softly where she had reworked the branding.  Her fingers tingled not of her magic.  The brand seemed to fade and she quickly moved her fingers away.

"I'm okay."  She lied. 

No reason to make him worry over her.  She was fine.  She had gotten through worse than this, right?  "I think the diamond thingy must be reacting to my magic.  Maybe the energy I use is like a magnet to it."  It sounded reasonable to her.

"Theiryk watch this if you can.  When I touch the branding of the horse it seems to...er...heal it or something."  She touched her hand to the branding again and once again her fingers tingled and glowed.  The brand began to fade some more.  "But it didn't work like that when I wasn't close to it."  She bite her lower lip as her face grew worried.

Lion

Theiryk immediately pulled the house to a stop when he felt they were far enough away.  The trees would conceal them for now and the horse could catch it's breath.  He did not know the fate of the other animal, but whatever it was, it was likely unpleasant.  Theiryk dropped from the animal's back and pulled Lauraiiel with him.  He slumped a little with her weight against him, but he held her as upright as he could.

"I saw it.  It is strange.  Do you have strength? Can you stand?"

Theiryk observed the branding and then the sack on his belt with the black diamond on it.  "What kind of magic do you have?  I don't understand why you're reacting to it in such a way."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

(Sorry Lion.....   :-\  )

Parkway

It felt nice to have some help, not that she would admit it aloud.  But for once she was glad not to be alone.

"Yes I can stand." 

It was odd.  She wished she could explain it.  Lauraiiel had to try.   "I utilize light, it is called  Illumikinetic, it is the ability to shape it."  She shook her head.  "I don't understand it either.  But maybe it has to do with light.  Like why we saw the stars?"  Her voice wavered.  She was just as confused as he was.

"Maybe I should try to heal my wound?"

Lion

Theiryk regarded her a moment.  He briefly glanced down at the diamond on his belt and shivered.  A bad feeling seeped into the pit of his stomach.  "I'll take a look at it first," he said.  "Your magic seems to react rather badly to close proximity with the diamond.  I'd hate for you to hurt yourself more."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Lauraiiel nodded.  In fact she took a few steps back.  Hesitantly she whispered..."Be careful."  Then she chided herself that was such a silly thing to say.  Be careful!  With everything they went through the last few days!  Be careful! 

But she said it and now waited for him to check the diamond.  Part of her wanted to cover her eyes the other wanted her to run as fast as she could from the thing.  But she did neither; just stood there and waited.  Never had she felt like this.  It irritated a small part of her conscience. 

Her fingers began to tingle...just a byproduct of fear another thing she hated!

Lion

It was not a notion that he would take lightly in a situation like this.  After what they encountered, and the dangers that lurked both ahead and behind them, it couldn't hurt to show a little care in this endeavor.  He was prepared to take whatever measures were necessary.  If he knew what they were, that was.  As he pried the diamond from the bag, he was careful to examine it in hand, and found that while it was warm, the stars had shifted from it's facade.

No longer were  they glittering from within.

"It's warm, but it seems the energy in the diamond has subsided."  He put it away and moved back toward her, leaning down and lifting up the clothing enough to see her wound.  It was pretty severe, although perhaps it just needed a bit of clean up.

"You could try to heal it.  It might be safer now."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

She worried her lower lip.  What was the strange magic?  She had never been a healer.  Sure a few potions a few known herbs but not her magic.  She had always used her magic for death or defense.   Not healing.  So how was it now the branding disappeared? 

Still worrying her lip she looked up as Theiryk spoke.  "Maybe it isn't powerful during the day?  Its energy might be Luna based?"  She murmured almost seeming like she was talking aloud.  What if the power was something they could harness?  Her eyes began to grow and then narrow.  Who knew about magic like this?  Did she know of anyone?   

"Theiryk..."  She stopped.  No first see if her wound would heal.   "Uhhh, let me try."  She let her finger softly touch her skin.  At first she inhaled sharply, the wound was still painful to touch. 

They did not have to wait long her fingers glowed again, a deep purple light glowing, but slowly her pain was easing.  It tingled the area but the pain was gone she pulled her hand away.  All that remained was a scar, indented into her leg.  "I should have left it there maybe then I wouldn't even have a scar but I started to get nervous...not sure why."  She half chuckled.

"Uh, um...I was just thinking something."  She looked up at him and blinked a few times.  Gnawing on her lip she reached for him.  "What if...maybe...just maybe, we could...I don't know find out more about this thing?  Before we sell it?"  She stumble over her words as she asked him for only a minute ago she was crying she wanted to be free of it.  Her eyes tried to hold his.

Lion

Theiryk blinked at her, not quite sure what he was hearing, and shook his head.  What would be the use in finding more about this now loathsome gem.  Theiryk was more than comfortable to abandon everything altogether and return to his home forests.  The risk of the venture was not what daunted him, but had him wondering if the gem, whatever the black diamond was, would cost more than its weight in gold.  What did it matter what it did?

Theiryk frowned, sniffing a bit indignantly.  "Why? I don't understand.  A moment ago you couldn't be more eager to be rid of the damn thing," he said.  He brushed his hair away from his face.  "I just want to sell it.  The sooner it's gone the better, and let it be someone else's problem."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Lauraiiel shut her eyes.  "But Theiryk what if we could harness the power of this diamond?  Use it to our advantage?"  She reached out for his arm but wasn't fast enough.   She tried again to explain herself.  "I have never used my magic to heal.   Yet look at what I just did.  Theiryk if we go to someone to sell it they may know about it and not tell us.  Please."  She pleaded and she had never done this before. 

Then again she never acted this way with anyone before.  If he refused she honestly didn't know what she would do.  But selling the stone before knowing about it now seemed wrong. 

In the back of her head the creature and the bounty hunter lingered but she pushed it away.  No...they could be onto something great.

Lion

"And use it for what exactly?" he asked, turning to her abruptly.  Theiryk couldn't believe what he was hearing.  She must be really delirious from the magic to think they could somehow harness whatever power was inside that diamond.  It unnerved him, for the magic seemed oddly unnatural, and too powerful to be controlled.  It seemed attached to her most of all, and that sent a chill of displeasure down his spine.

Theiryk shook his head fiercely.  "We can't.  It isn't ours to hold, Lauraiiel.  That diamond...something about it doesn't sit well with me.  I'm not saying I'm suspicious, but you've gotta listen to what you're saying.  Right, we don't know what it is.  But I don't think we're meant to.  Let someone else take it.  Please!  Look what it did to you!  You're barely making any sense at all.  And that doesn't seem to be lasting much longer."

Theiryk took her by the shoulders, giving her a light shake.  "Listen to me.  We've got to get rid of it.  If we learn more about it in the process, then that can't be helped.  But I've just got my gut twisting on this."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn