Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Diamonds of Night

Started by Lion, September 22, 2015, 04:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Well, that was over, thank gods.  He wiped his hand on his thigh.  Sweaty palm.

"For now, let's just keep walking.  I think if we get as much distance as possible, we could make it there by night fall," he said, moving a little more quickly than before.  "And keep your ears alert, you never know what might be lurking in this forest.

"I take it you're more of a city elf?  You don't seem acclimated to the wilderness."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Parkway

"I guess you could say that, I am from Serendipity Riverlands area."  She shrugged.  "I am no stranger to making camp though.   My father trained me well before he passed.  Or at least the man I recognize as my father.  So sleeping under the stars, canopy of leaves, or on ice was part of that training." 

She nodded at his statement to keep alert.  He was all to correct on this point.  As he said it though she had a chill run through her body.  She looked at him and just said, "Nerves?" But her senses were now heightened and she kept her hand hovering at her sword.

Lion

He felt that shiver.  Or maybe she was just a jumpy broad.  He pegged the answer on some combination of both.  For now anyway he listened intently.  There was a creaking somewhere, but there was nothing in the trees and the wind told him nothing.  As the continued down their path, Theiryk heard that creak again.

And suddenly the ground gave way beneath the pair of them, dropping them both down down into a blackened pit.  Theiryk gasped for breath even as his hands scrounged all around them for something solid to snatch onto.  Roots ripped beneath his grip, and he splashed down hard into darkened water.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Parkway

Her ears twitched!  What was that creaking noise?  She surveyed the area.  But saw nothing amiss.  Another step forward and then the ground gave way!

Lauraiiel tried to grab for anything to break her down ward spiral.  Her sharply in taken breath reverberated in her ears and echoed on the fall down. 

Then she hit the cold black water.  She immediately began to kick her legs.  She had no time to think it was all instinct really.  She pumped her legs and breeched sucking in air and choking all at the same time. 

"Theiryk?!?!"  She wildly looked around for him as her eyes had not yet adjusted.  "Theiryk?!?!"

Lion

Theiryk broke the surface, wildly thrashing until he found himself afloat, kicking eagerly.  Upon hearing his name, he turned toward the sound.  "I'm here!" he called back, moving toward where he heard her.  His eyes slowly adjusted to the darkness, and he found there were dimly lit torches on the other side of the water, indicating solid ground.

Or so he hoped.

"This way!" He panted and pointed toward the lights.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

A sense of relief washed over her when she heard him.  Treading water until he got closer her eyes too adjusted.   "Mmm, okay." Was about all she could get out as she followed him towards the dim torches. 

They approached the edge and she lifted herself from the water.  It was cold, not bone chilling but without sunlight to warm the place it is suffice to say it was uncomfortable. 

Once she was able to speak in the lowest of tones she whispered.  "Entrance to the left, do you see another?"  She gave a grimace. The water was beginning to form droplets and her lips started to trembled from the chill.  "Want me to grab the torch or you?"

Lion

Once he reached the edge, Theiryk pulled himself to the top, gasping for breath.  When he had his bearings, he took some time to pull his boots off, draining the water from them.  He shook his hair out like a dog until it was largely dry. 

"I don't," he admitted, slipping his boots back on, although there still remained an uncomfortable squish in some places.  "Yeah, grab a torch.  This place is all ready creepy."  One would be sufficient between them, right?

He turned to look her over, make sure she didn't break any bones or something.  Or hit her head.  "You good?  You need to take a breather?"  When they were ready, Theiryk forged ahead into the tunnel, unslinging his bow from his back and knocking an arrow.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

"Yeah I'm good."  She made another face!  Damn she was going to get blisters for sure!  Pulling a torch she tried beginning as quite as one could be in wet hide. 

Following him she had to agree.  "I know, right!  It is giving me goosebumps just being down here.  Let's just get out as fast as we can."  Holding the torch made her unable to use her bow but she had her swords.  And she kept her hand right on the hilt. 

"Theiryk I am better with my sword.  In fact better with both of them."  Telling him now so that whatever they come across up head they could fight as a team.   

Her ears twitched!  That noise!  She knew it but couldn't place it.  Then one of the most unpleasant odors wafted their way.  Lowering her voice "By the unholy what is that stank!"

Lion

"Good to know.  Well, if you have to, you have my blessing to throw that torch against anything we come across," he said with a snicker, even though part of him feared that she would have to do exactly that.  Here they seemed both out of their element.  And it wasn't like Theiryk had the advantage of the trees to conceal him if things got rough.  For now they would have to be careful of every step they took.

"I smell it too," Theiryk paused, sniffing.  He made a face.  Gods that was awful!  "Goblins," he hissed and ventured out further into the tunnel.  There were voices echoing out before then the further they went.

And then he saw one, just up ahead.  No...two...no, ten!   Theiryk held his breath, immediately skirting behind a wall as a patrol was coming by.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Her face tightened as he said what her senses had already guessed.  Goblins!  While fine if you come across two or three no trouble they are usually not too bright so defeating a few is not an issue.  But, and this is a big but...when they are in full numbers it is never a pretty battle. 

Lauraiiel ears were twitching.  She could hear them coming.  "Damn it!"  Just as she let the expletive go she watched Theiryk take cover.  The torch!  She jammed it in a boulder and ducked behind it.  As they came around the bend the torch dropped to the caves floor.  The sound echoing.  The goblins stopped grunting and mumbling.  Their little feet all together made it sound like horses galloping.  She could see their shadows.  And one in the front sniffing the air.  Walking cautiously.

She crouched down and chanced a glace over at Theiryk.

Lion

Shit!  Did her clumsy butterfingers have to drop that godforsaken torch!?  Theiryk cursed, mind roiling in an ignition of restless thoughts.  As the goblins drew closer, all that aided them was the dim lighting of the dropped torch.  He knew they would be caught.  It was inevitable.

Theiryk rolled off to the side and let his arrow fly into the closest target.  It plunged deep between sections in the goblin's bone armor.  The creature screeched, high pitched, clutching at its chest.  Theiryk however was stunned for a moment, observing the goblins.

They were huge! About approximately their size, and covered in slime and the makeshift straps of wood and bone armor.  The second goblin, although startled, was more prepared and took advantage of Theiryk's stunned state, pulling his club and smashing it across the Wild Elf's body.  Theiryk fell back, gasping for air.  The goblin went in, weapon poised for a finishing blow.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Damn him!  They may have just passed by!  Why in the!!!  Then she saw them...huge disgusting beasts.  Like no goblin she ever encountered.  She watched his arrow fly into the chest of the odd looking goblin.  What a thought she had to shake her head.  Its screech actually hurt her ears and she was in a state of shock.  Get a grip Lau!  Sliding along the boulder unseen by the beasts for the moment.  Her only advantage was surprise as well. 

That was until she saw the hit Theiryk took.  Taking a deep breath of the stench filled air.   She charged silently at the goblin.  Both swords drawn.  She held them ready and in one smooth motion the goblins head separated from it body.  It stood motionless for the briefest of moments then the body crumpled to the ground.  Its head fell with a thunk rolling to a stop.   

After her strike she whirled around and began to be approached by the remaining goblins.  Her eyes darted and tucking her sword in she quickly tucked her body and rolled to the opposite side.  It appeared these larger versions were not smarter than their short cousins.  She stood and turned with both swords she struck one of them from behind.  It turned and began to wildly whip its club she had to dart it several times.  She thought of losing the one sword and summoning her magic.  There were just too many for her.   She prayed Theriyk was up now.  Or she was dead....or worse....   

Lion

Once Theiryk found his breath, he climbed to his feet and didn't bother pulling another arrow into the bow.  Instead he pit that away and pulled the double-bladed staff from his back.  He held it in one hand while reaching for the discarded torch with the other.  With a flick of his wrist it flew and smacked hard on the back of a goblin poised to kill.

The creature squealed as embers from the torch caught flame to its flesh and hair.  The goblin collided with another in its agony.  Theiryk was already closing the distance between them, leaping forward and throwing his shoulder into another patrol.  No doubt there were more of those filthy creatures lurking about elsewhere.

Theiryk turned swiftly to knock a club to the side, countering the weight of it and delivering a swift kick to the goblin's back.  A twist of the staff and off went its head.  Three more...and they would soon wish they could crawl back inside the bitch that borne them.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Lauraiiel slashed the goblin behind the knees as she spun around.  Finishing it off with a blade to the back of the neck.  By this time she knew Theiryk was up.  This gave her time to cast.  She wasted no time.  Conjuring a rope.  But the goblin was swift.  It came upon her her with its beefy arms it pushed her like she was a rag doll into the rock.  She was winded.  The beast cackled!  Next it hit her with the sword tearing her upper thigh.  She tried to move but it caught her.  This enraged Lauraiiel she prided herself on her flawless complexion.  She threw the lasso again and this time caught herself the large goblin beast.  It struggled as she approached.  Speaking a tongue she did not understand.  With ice in her eyes she pulled her swords...executing the beast.

No time to check her wound.  Turning swiftly two left.  Wasting no time she engaged one.  The club spun wildly.  It grunted and snorted.  Probably cursing her she thought.  She sent a few light sparks aimed at its unprotected face.  It hissed!  The goblins tongue came out and she smiled.  Her swords came down and sliced its tongue it fell to the floor.  The beast in shock dropped its spiked club.  She had it now!  Running at it full force...but the goblin wasn't done!  With it's mighty fist it cracks her in the face as her swords slash at it, the appendage is removed. Her breathing heavy.  She fights this beast going shot for shot.  Until it grabbed her hair and spun her.  She used this to her advantage, it propelled her forward.  Her sword buried into the skull of the large beast. 

Not looking at him she picks the tongue of the goblin up and walks back to it.  She pulls her sword out of its head.  Removes its ears, hooked nose, and a few digits.  She is bloodied, injured, and still filled with rage.  She calls to him,"Theiryk?"

Lion

Theiryk didn't really have much of a chance to react for it seemed Lauraiiel was capable of dispatching the last remaining goblins on her own.  He just watched her in awe for a long time until she called out to him.  Even in her injury, he didn't give much of a reaction.  There'd really been no chance to!

But when it was over for the moment, Theiryk grabbed the dropped torch and moved beside her, kneeling beside her wound.  "That doesn't look good.  You got any bandages in your pack?  For now anyway.  Goblins can smell blood unfortunately, another nasty trait from a disgusting slime-trudger."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

She was high on adrenaline.  Shaking her head yes.  Trying to calm her breathing.  "Damn it, Theiryk!  I don't want it to scar!  I have not one on my body!"  She didn't stop to think of his.  For the moment she was too wrapped up inside her head.   She didn't think scars bad but it didn't play into her ruse.  Keeping herself as sweet and pure as she could always played into her favor.  Scars would mean she had a past. 

Gritting her teeth.  "Yeah, in my pack.  Now I wished I learned some healing.  Damn it hurts.  I have a salve too.  Can you pull them out for me?  I am going to the water for a moment.  You think we have a moment right?"

She asked as she wiggled her satchel over her head and handed it to him.  She went back to the water cupped some and splashed it on her face and then thigh.  "Thanks."  She said as she walked back over to him with a slight gimp.  "Can you put it on for me?"  She grimaced again.  "I am not playing this time, I kind of need ya."  She looked at him as pain flickered across her face.

Lion

Theiryk followed her back to the body of water they'd nearly floundered in.  He rested the torch beside them.  And he took a chance to observe the wound on her leg.  He'd dealt with plenty of battle wounds before.  This would scar most likely, but he had no way of preventing that.  All they could do for now was put some salve in it and wrap it up, and take a better look at it when they were surrounded by enemies.

"Hold still," he said matter-of-factly.  His hands rubbed the salve into the deep gash and he cleaned them in the water, before wrapping her bandages around her thigh.  He ensured the knot was secure, but not too tight.  "How does that feel?" he asked, glancing up at her.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

His touch was a lot gentler then she had anticipated.  In fact he treated her wounds as a father would his own child.  A tear came to her eye but she choked it back.  Not wanting to appear weaker then she now was.  Once bandaged up she put some pressure on her leg.  The slave was already numbing the pain.  "Thanks, yeah it will do until we can get out of here."

They put everything back in her satchel and washed off her weapons.  Sheathing them properly she looked over to him.  "Are you all okay?  Did they get you?"  She realized she had no idea if he was injured.  Shivering at the thought of them she added.  "I have never seen a goblin that size Theiryk!  What in the unholy?  Have you?" 

Lion

"Just the chest.  It'll be some nasty bruising I'll imagine. ...I've taken worse, don't worry about me," Theiryk said, standing up and walking along with her back through the tunnel.  They still had a ways to go.  Tunnels and caverns always went in dark and deep, and into the shadows, to survive, they must creep.

Theiryk shook at that unintentional rhyme.  But before they appeared beside the goblin corpses again, Theiryk reconsidered the torch.  "Darkness would be better would it not?" he asked, and dropped the thing beside one of the fallen bodies.

"I've never seen them before either, but we can get through here faster than if we try to fight all of them.  I'm sure there are some that are bigger and badder than those patrol groups we plowed through."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Parkway

Lauraiiel nodded.  "If you wanted the slave I used numbs the pain.  It has Valerian Root."  She offered it to him something she would not have normally done with another partner.  She felt responsible for dropping the torch. 

"Yes, I think it would give us a slight advantage of cover."  She looked at the bodies.  Spitting on the headless one.  Before following Theiryk.

"I feared this thought."  She lined up behind him.  "Theiryk, I can cast a shield if need be.  I don't know why I didn't.  I apologize."  She rolled her eyes what was she doing apologizing for.  She groaned inwardly.  And then heard herself saying more..."We should come up with a signal too.  So we know if the other is going to attack.  A hand signal of sorts?"